Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Who's Going to Cover Antonio Brown?
(06-29-2016, 04:12 PM)Wyche Wrote: Now yer coming around..... Smirk

You'll see no qualms from anyone here that Pac is lethal returning kicks, it's just he is so disruptive in the secondary, you can't afford to have this playmaker on the sidelines while the defense is on the field.  Taint should absolutely be cut, i(EVERYONE'S)o.

He should have been cut years ago.  

I'm hoping one of the young guys can at least show enough to unseat him for when Jones doesn't return punts.
Reply/Quote
(06-29-2016, 10:08 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: He should have been cut years ago.  

I'm hoping one of the young guys can at least show enough to unseat him for when Jones doesn't return punts.

And we agree, again.  Would love to see ANYBODY let us get rid of Tate.  And you are right, Jones is a hell of a return guy, we just can't put him back there on a full-time basis.  We need him in the secondary until our young guys get some "seasoning".  
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-29-2016, 03:51 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: The more I think about this, the more I do want Jones covering Brown and any other big-time receivers we face.  

I do, however, hope that we can hold them to three-and-outs or only one or two first downs so Marvin would still be ok with Adam returning punts.

Maybe we'll cut Tate (finally) and get some production from our young guys, but I still think Adam's dangerous any time he returns a punt and that he should get some opportunities this season.

Most of us want to Tate replaced. Jones is an All Pro returner. Tate ain't.

Reply/Quote
(06-29-2016, 10:39 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Most of us want to Tate replaced. Jones is an All Pro returner. Tate ain't.

I'm wondering who will be fielding punts/returns in the preseason. Gotta give our young guys a chance 4 game sampling size should be enough. If nothing special comes from it, Tate should still be on the roster.

Reply/Quote
(06-29-2016, 07:14 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I think that it has to do with a lack of desire to be the return man.  To my way of thinking, in order to be a good return man, one has to really, really want to be a good return man.

You could be right.....but wasn't he an electrifying return man at N.C.?

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(06-29-2016, 10:08 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: He should have been cut years ago.  

(06-29-2016, 10:13 PM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: And we agree, again.  Would love to see ANYBODY let us get rid of Tate.  And you are right, Jones is a hell of a return guy, we just can't put him back there on a full-time basis.  We need him in the secondary until our young guys get some "seasoning".  

(06-30-2016, 12:14 AM)jeremydc Wrote: I'm wondering who will be fielding punts/returns in the preseason. Gotta give our young guys a chance 4 game sampling size should be enough. If nothing special comes from it, Tate should still be on the roster.

Agree on all accounts.  If no one shows anything in the preseason, at least Taint is sure handed.

Reply/Quote
(06-30-2016, 08:44 AM)Wyche Wrote: You could be right.....but wasn't he an electrifying return man at N.C.?

Not really, he only did a few returns in 2012.  16 returns for 16.4 yd average, with 2 scores.

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/giovani-bernard-1.html

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
It's easy to hate on Tate (I've been a hater the past few seasons) but it's his to lose.

Reply/Quote
(06-30-2016, 08:59 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Not really, he only did a few returns in 2012.  16 returns for 16.4 yd average, with 2 scores.

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/giovani-bernard-1.html

ThumbsUp Thanks for the clarification....I thought he had been a returner for them....moreso than that limited amount.  Although, two scores on 16 attempts is right impressive.

Reply/Quote
(06-30-2016, 10:43 AM)Wyche Wrote: ThumbsUp Thanks for the clarification....I thought he had been a returner for them....moreso than that limited amount.  Although, two scores on 16 attempts is right impressive.

They could have been against a garbage team, not really sure.  I didn't go to the game by game stats.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
A 4 game sampling of punt returners in preseason may or may not mean a whole lot depending on how many punts the defense forces. I expect they're going to force plenty, but it's preseason so you don't really know and those who do get the shot at punt returns probably aren't going to be going against the best the league has to offer.
I'm still ok with Tate handling the bulk of returns and I'll never subscribe to the 'anyone but ' idea. There are plenty of guys who would fumble every single punt..
After all..if someone you know is getting cut, but returns one to the house against some teams scrubs in the 4th quarter when we're up by 30 it just doesn't mean a whole lot.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(06-29-2016, 05:17 PM)jason Wrote: Why don't they give Gio a look at returning kicks and punts?

They tried him last year during TC. He didn't look impressive so they took him out of consideration.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(06-30-2016, 04:15 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: They tried him last year during TC. He didn't look impressive so they took him out of consideration.

Yeah because Tate is way more impressive?  Those bastids.  Hell, I bet Whitworth would be an upgrade.
Reply/Quote
(06-30-2016, 04:18 PM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: Yeah because Tate is way more impressive?  Those bastids.  Hell, I bet Whitworth would be an upgrade.

I can't imagine what Gio looked like if Tate looked like the better option.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(06-30-2016, 04:27 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: I can't imagine what Gio looked like if Tate looked like the better option.

True, he must have looked really awful.  
Reply/Quote