CB Darqueze Dennard
S George Iloka
Head Coach Marvin Lewis
OL Coach Paul Alexander
DC Paul Gunther
New Defensive Coaches
Owner Mike Brown
[Show Results]

Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who's the biggest disappointment at the half way mark?
PICK 3

You know I'd never thought I'd be saying any of this 2 months ago, but this team has a number of disappointments this year.

K Mike Nugent - He be 27th in the league in FG % sitting at 75% overall, 67% between 40-49 and 0 for 3 0% from 50+

OT Cedric Ogbuehi - Heir apparent to Andre Smith who the team let go has turned out to be nothing as advertised. A 1st round pick that shouldn't be starting anywhere in the league.

OT Jake Fisher - Heir apparent to Whit at LT hasn't shown enough to overtake the underwhelming Ogbuehi. A 2nd round pick that ain't even close to being a starter.

OG Kevin Zeitler - One the better guards in the league has turned into not so good and this is a contract year for him. Playing between Bodine and Og hasn't helped. Bodine gets pushed back too easily and Og just seems like he's in way over his head. I thought about listing Bodine over Zeitler but none of us expected much improvement out of Bodine and I don't think many of us saw Zeitler's trouble coming.

HB Ryan Hewitt - Ah, what does this guy do exactly? A couple of years go the team talked about him as the best FB in the league, made him an HB, then with Eifert out Hewitt seemed largely invisible. Now the team brought in a FB for a tryout.

NT Peko - The NT is there to clog the middle and keep offensive linemen off the LBs. I haven't seen this from him.

LB Vontez Burfict - He was the defenses' leader and could be counted on to make the defense better whenever he was in the lineup. In 2016 he's made a decent number of tackles, but something's missing.

CB Adam Jones - He was clearly our best corner now he's out of position and just not getting it done. He was a leader now he's just not.

CB Darqueze Dennard - Hate putting him on this after I was so happy we drafted him. But like Ogbuehi he just hasn't come close to expectations.

S George Iloka - He was given a nice contract over Reggie Nelson, who lead the league in interceptions last year. Now Iloka is more or less an average Joe, sorta.

Head Coach Marvin Lewis - Could say a lot, but the credit he's gotten (including from myself) for turning around this team isn't enough to make up for the mediocre coaching, game planning, adjustments and overall lack of discipline the players show on the field. The feeling that he's never going get it together is growing.

OL Coach Paul Alexander - He's in love with Bodine who really isn't any better than average and his new OTs just suck. See Ogbuehi and Fisher above. You know he's gotta have a big say in the linemen selected in the draft and here's 3 examples where they just haven't lived up to anyone's expectations. Alexander should be paying Dalton's health insurance.

DC Paul Gunther - It seemed like he really made the defense his own last year. Now with his 3 new top assistants the whole defense has regressed to a decade ago or worse.

The new defensive coaches (DL coach Jacob Burney, LB coach Jim Haslett, Secondary Coach Kevin Coyle) - These three are praised by Head Coach Marvin Lewis, but the decline in play is so significant that these three blokes are right in the middle of the decline. Who exactly picked this guys?

Owner Mikey Brown - Does this guy want a Super Bowl? I have my doubts.

I'd have listed more if polls allowed more than 15.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
I voted Ogbuehi. Reason being, we already knew Nugent, Peko, Maualuga, Alexander, Lewis, and Mike Brown were below average to mediocre talents. Hard to call them disappointments when there was no cause for optimism in the first place.

Ced still has time to right the ship. Losing Nelson has hurt the secondary. Guenther hasn't done well either. I'm sure Fred will be on here soon to defend mediocrity.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
Ced O. And it's not even close.

Reply/Quote
Head coach marvin Lewis for me- why because his lack of accountability system is showing big time this year, I don't think this is a overall bad team, I think it's coaching.
Reply/Quote
I only voted on one (didn't have glasses on and didn't see pick three) so I had to think for a while.  The immediate response is Ced, largely because I thought he looked good in limited action last year and I thought he would have added strength in the offseason.  However, I keep reminding myself that it is still very early for him and Fisher.

I wanted to put a lot on a coach, like Coyle.  I hate the scheme.  It sucks.  And, as per usual, no adjustments and it continues to suck.  It might actually suck more, since teams have now seen it and know how to attack it with virtually no risk of turnovers.  

The real winner here has to be Adam Jones.  I loved the guy last year.  Called him the heart and soul of the defense.  Despite his stupid penalty against the steelers, I felt they lost that game because of Marv and Hill's fumble.  He was amazing last year.  So aggressive on short routes, seemingly never got beat deep....he was a Pro Bowl talent, IMHO.  And this year, it appears he finally hit that age where players skills diminish overnight.  He looks slower, less confident, and misses tackles that I never saw him miss before.  

I heard Eric Thomas on the weekly Bengals line radio show last night talk about how Zim and then Vance Joseph would be all over Dre and Jones (and others) on the details of their coverage every snap in practice and he didn't see that at all this spring and summer.  He even used the word lackadaisical.  And now you are seeing the results.  

Honorable Mention:  Geno Atinks, Michael Johnson
Reply/Quote
bit of a downer thread Smirk ..maybe we should have an equivalent for positive / surprise performers.

Anyways.

- I went for Defensive coaches first...more i read the different opinions on the board, the more i think the integration of the different D coaches has contributed significantly. Basically all 3 levels of the D has new coaches and certainly what was an established , high performing D has struggled and not looked joined up

- Went for Ced O...feeling a bit naive on this one because i completely believed the Alexander, Lap, etc hype. That said whether he was a Rd 1 or UDFA he's not performed well to date. Confident he can improve but disappointment to date

- Went for Iloka but to be honest that's more a vote for the secondary. I honestly don't know whats going on back there but what I thought was going to be a stable, position of strength has not been that. I was not sold on Williams at all as a Reggie replacement but it is his first year as starter..Iloka has been starting for a few years now
Reply/Quote
I choose Darqueze Dennard loved the pick when we drafted him thought he would be a good fit here, now he's in year 4 and this guy cant even get onto the field. We've neglected the front 7 of our defense outside of the Hunt pick the last few years by drafting three 1st round corners and you would think by now we would have a young shut down secondary for the future and wound't have to resign aging corners like Adam Jones because guys like Dennard and Kirkpatrick were ready to step up into bigger roles. Kirkpatrick will be a free agent next year has been nothing special, an ok number 2 corner at best ? that will probably get over paid by a desperate team in free agency. If Dennard does not pan out will have to pray that William Jackson III will be good. We have enough needs at linebacker, D-line and offensive line then to invest another early pick at the CB position.
Reply/Quote
(11-05-2016, 08:42 AM)sonofstat Wrote: bit of a downer thread  Smirk    ..maybe we should have an equivalent for positive / surprise performers.

Anyways.

- I went for Defensive coaches first...more i read the different opinions on the board, the more i think the integration of the different D coaches has contributed significantly. Basically all 3 levels of the D has new coaches and certainly what was an established , high performing D has struggled and not looked joined up

- Went for Ced O...feeling a bit naive on this one because i completely believed the Alexander, Lap, etc hype.  That said whether he was a Rd 1 or UDFA he's not performed well to date. Confident he can improve but disappointment to date

- Went for Iloka but to be honest that's more a vote for the secondary.  I honestly don't know whats going on back there but what I thought was going to be a stable, position of strength has not been that.  I was not sold on Williams at all as a Reggie replacement but it is his first year as starter..Iloka has been starting for a few years now

I thought about it but it was late and I was tired. The list would actually be smaller, sadly. Dalton and AJ Green are bright spots. LaFell has turned out to be decent pickup. Eifert played well last week, but has missed too much time to be considered a bright spot over the first 8 games. Don't think anyone on defense has been particularly impressive. Dansby has turned out to be an upgrade over Hawk.

Reply/Quote
Biggest player disappointment, in my opinion, would be Cedric Ogbuehi.

Next biggest disappointment, in my eyes are the defensive position coaches, namely secondary. Poor Safety play, and a general drop in quality of play by the secondary in general, has led to opposing QBs seemingly always able to find an open man to dump the ball off to. Particularly on 3rd downs.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
1 - Jones. Having just signed a 3 year extension it is dumbfounding for his play to drop off this fast.
2 - Zeitler. Extremely disappointing to see him playing this way in his 5th year going after a contract.
3 - Ced. Yes, he is a young player in the NFL. Yes, his body isn't exactly built for RT. Nevertheless, the expectation for a high round OL player is better than what he has displayed.
Reply/Quote
1. Nugent. He sucks
2. Ced. I can't remember ever seeing a first round pick look so bad, injury or not.
3. Denard. Next Leon Hall my @$$
Reply/Quote
Ced O.....we already knew he couldn't be coached up....was just hoping he had the talent to overcome that.  He doesn't.

New coaches on D.  Nothing else needs said here.

Burfict.  55 is my favorite player.  We've needed an enforcer since Fulcher retired.  Coming in from a suspension.....coming in out of shape and playing a step behind is not a good look.  The effort may be there....but the results have not been that good.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Ogubehi for every obvious reason.

Adam Jones has lost a step and hasn't been his dominant self. We may be seeing the final season with this guy in all honesty.

Burfict. He's a fan favorite but he's been slow and out of position this year. He's just struggled a lot. He's not coming back from an injury like he did last year or anything. And even then, Burfict came onto the field so much better than this year.

Sorry guys, but Burfict has been a huge disappointment thus far.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
Biggest disappointment means to me that I expected them to be much better. In that case:

Pacman

Big Ced

Iloka

:paul:
[Image: 85d8232ebbf088d606250ddec1641e7b.jpg]
Reply/Quote
No Michael Johnson? I can't even recall any tackles.
Reply/Quote
Oggieboggie worse than I thought. I knew he stunk when he leads the sec in sacks given up his senior year. But it's now official. Absolutely garbage
Reply/Quote
(11-05-2016, 11:41 AM)StoneTheCrow Wrote: No Michael Johnson? I can't even recall any tackles.

I ran out of poll spots. It's limited to 15. I also left off Ray M, Gio, Hill, Dre and some others and I also left off the rookies.

I had to fit in the coaches cause from what I can see they are at the root of this downward year.

Reply/Quote
Where's Geno Atkins? He's supposed to be the best pass rushing DT in the league and he isn't looking like it.

Michael Johnson

Adam Jones

are my 3.
Reply/Quote
Gotta consider Ryan Hewitt as well just signed an extension and he is averaging 13 snaps a game.
Reply/Quote
Too many players on that list and you could pick all of them and when that is the case it all goes back to who is in charge of running the joint.

Reply/Quote