Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who should be Bengals next Head Coach?!
(11-27-2017, 05:35 AM)Utts Wrote: I'll give you credit for putting a positive spin on things.

1) This isn't much of a selling point, if you don't think you're being setup for success.

2) We have an average QB. Is that going to tip he scales?

3) We have some good skill players, so do a lot of sick franchises. Gio and Kroft are not key selling points.

4) We have some good players on defense, but the unit looks pretty average right now. 

5) Tobin had a couple fantastic drafts, which generated some attention. The last few have been stinkers. That understaffed group is most certainly not a selling point.

6) Mike Brown and his Katie let Whit and Zeitler leave town, when our line was already sketchy. Dysfunctional? No. Incompetent? Maybe. Everybody saw this offensive line train wreck coming, including them, and they chose to go that route - because that's how they do things. You want an owner that wants to win above all else, and CLEARLY the Brown family is not. They have demonstrated this over and over again. A couple modest moves could have easily made this a 9-10 win team.

7) Top tier coaching talent doesn't seek out opportunities where expectations are low. They are Type A personalities, that are driven by success. It's absurd to think a guy like Josh McDaniels would favor a job, because things are so bad there - the media and fans have given up on them. Moreover, a top tier coach in that situation is going to generate huge expectations, whether they like it or not. 

Our habits in free agency, coaches having to scout, and having to work within the unique management structure of the Bengals are big negatives for a HC.

At the end of the day, if it's not Marvin next year...I think there's a 95% chance it's Hue or Guenther. And possibly Jay Gruden if he's available.

Who was the last head coach the Bengals hired from outside besides Marvin? Most hires come from within.
Reply/Quote
[Image: hi-res-010c284629ac8ac63f0f21b341124867_...=630&h=420]
[Image: 4540978331_3e8fe35323.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(11-26-2017, 01:04 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: Very true.

Just read this on PFT moments ago:

It was all in reference to their QB situation moving forward, but the portion in parenthesis stood out in particular.

Hard to blame Shurmur for being in Queefland no doubt.

Just look at what Hue has done there and he was a very good OC for us.

(11-27-2017, 02:14 PM)CincyWestside Wrote: Josh McDaniels is my top choice.

He has HC experience. His Denver job was marred by outside influences. Crybaby Jay Cutler after hearing that McDaniels wanted Cassel to be his QB and diva Brandon Marshall. Not only that, but he had to deal with the Tim Tebow circus show too.

But McDaniels also checks all the other boxes for me as well. He has experience under Belichik, the greatest coach of all time. McDaniels knows how to adjust a gameplan and playcalling to exploit the weaknesses of the other team. His offense is always prepared for primetime, divisional, and playoff games. Not only that, but his offense performed well under Matt Cassel, Jacoby Brissett, and Jimmy Garropolo.

I am also hoping that Hue stays in Cleveland another year. I have watched him blunder a lot of things in Cleveland as the HC. Things that are Marvin level bad. Also, with Hue in Cleveland, we can probably get them to trade for AJM.

Tebow beat the Steelers there i remember, was McDaniels the HC then?

I just really want a HC that holds their own with these scumbags.
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2017, 09:09 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Hard to blame Shurmur for being in Queefland no doubt.

Just look at what Hue has done there and he was a very good OC for us.

Tebow beat the Steelers there i remember, was McDaniels the HC then?

I just really want a HC that holds their own with these scumbags.

McDaniels, Cooter, Jay Gruden...I'd be ok with any of these guys.

Who I don't want is Guenther or Jackson. He'd be a good OC.
Reply/Quote
The Colts are interested in Matt Nagy!
Reply/Quote
(11-25-2017, 04:02 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: The ninja means he's not being completely serious.

Ding! Ding! Ding!
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2017, 11:45 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: McDaniels, Cooter, Jay Gruden...I'd be ok with any of these guys.

Who I don't want is Guenther or Jackson. He'd be a good OC.

Same here, lots of guys i would be happy with... Jon or Jay, Lafleur, this guy Nagy...

(11-28-2017, 12:05 PM)firstand10 Wrote: The Colts are interested in Matt Nagy!

But the Chiefs Offense sure has fell off a cliff lately.
Reply/Quote
I agree this team needs a tough get in their face coach! ML has been so passive since he came here,so IF we would hire a no nonsense coach would that be a detriment to the team or not. It would be such a turnaround,like night and day. Just thinking.
"We walk by faith not by sight"
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2017, 12:04 PM)firstand10 Wrote: I agree this team needs a tough get in their face coach! ML has been so passive since he came here,so IF we would hire a no nonsense coach would that be a detriment to the team or not. It would be such a turnaround,like night and day. Just thinking.
"We walk by faith not by sight"

Have to take a gamble sometimes. This conservative approach has no chance of being something special.

Far too often we keep a solid player over a player that has upside and might end up being a gamechanger.

Ala keeping Shawn Williams at Safety and putting a guy like Derron Smith on the PS and then Derron being scooped up by another team.

There are tons of other examples. Being solid just doesn't get it done in the NFL. Have to be more than this.
Reply/Quote
It's like everyone is just naming bad "big name" coaches.
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2017, 04:19 PM)WhoDeyLeisure Wrote: It's like everyone is just naming bad "big name" coaches.

Lafleur, Nagy, Jim Bob Cooter, Peterson...

Name another good "small name" coach Whodeyleisure....
Reply/Quote
Jon Gruden, Bill Cowher, Josh Mcdaniels...Bobby Knight.

Reason- all are winners who show emotion and are into the game
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2017, 04:32 PM)Nati#1 Wrote: Jon Gruden, Bill Cowher, Josh Mcdaniels...Bobby Knight.

Thought Bobby Knight was a college basketball coach man. Shocked
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2017, 04:32 PM)Nati#1 Wrote: Jon Gruden, Bill Cowher, Josh Mcdaniels...Bobby Knight.

Should throw Woody in there also. Guy has a great left hook!!
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2017, 04:27 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Lafleur, Nagy, Jim Bob Cooter, Peterson...

Name another good "small name" coach Whodeyleisure....

I could be a "small name" coach.  I'd be a lot better with these "big name" clowns that people are naming.  Let us not be like the Browns and take everyone else's garbage because we have "heard of them".  
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2017, 05:05 PM)WhoDeyLeisure Wrote: I could be a "small name" coach.  I'd be a lot better with these "big name" clowns that people are naming.  Let us not be like the Browns and take everyone else's garbage because we have "heard of them".  

Eh, slow your roll man, the only guys i was mentioning have had success in the NFL.

You still haven't named a coach, that is not "garbage".
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2017, 04:41 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Thought Bobby Knight was a college basketball coach man. Shocked

Old, curmudgeonly disciplinarian though!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
I've been thinking a lot over the last few weeks about hopefully who would i want to replace Marvin next year. My current favourite would be :

Josh McDaniel's - His career ark in many ways reminds me of the of the coaching lineage he has come from. I think his time in Denver was a big learning curve for him, and he has learnt from his mistakes and i think his next HC if in the right place, (probably not here) will be a success.

Who does everyone else fancy?
Reply/Quote
A walking talking turnip at this point..I'm not sold on Marv leaving until he actually leaves. This debate has been ongoing to long now to give me any confidence that the proper changes will occur and I'm not sure there is any real incentive for McD to come to Cincinnati other than the idea that Mikey might keep him around till he dies of old age. Even scarier, Mikey might outlive us all! YIKES! 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2017, 12:38 PM)grampahol Wrote: A walking talking turnip at this point..I'm not sold on Marv leaving until he actually leaves. This debate has been ongoing to long now to give me any confidence that the proper changes will occur and I'm not sure there is any real incentive for McD to come to Cincinnati other than the idea that Mikey might keep him around till he dies of old age. Even scarier, Mikey might outlive us all! YIKES! 

LOL yeh.

I know what you mean about incentive. he dropped out of the 49ers job interview, so he is no doubt looking for the right situation after the Bronco's experience. I think Cincy has some selling points. Job Security to get things right, to get time to put his own stamp on things, Despite what we all think things are a lot difference since Marvin 1st came to Cincy, so he should have a lot more freedom in getting in his guys via draft (FA will always be a bit of a problem though). But then in the main New England haven't always gone for big name players playing at the top of their game in FA. Tended to have brought in their guys that fit their scheme.

I think he could be tempted here. I mean the competitors would likely be Browns / Bears / Colts / Giants / Buccs / Raiders maybe. I mean out of that group i think Cincy would be an appealing place to go considering the Talent level and Steady Ownership. I think the Giants would be the main Comp but then their Roster is a bit of a mess and Ownership haven't done themselves any PR favours with the recent Eli situation.
Reply/Quote