Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Who wants Quinton Spain back?
Tiger

I know I Know...
I've been one of the biggest Spain haters out there but...
I'm not sure if this team as its currently constructed could sustain multiple injuries on the offensive line and go where everyone thinks its capable. I must say that when I seen that schedule I never thought about "Primetime" games. We need to make it out of the front half of the schedule healthy and two above 500 imo. The second half of the schedule is absolutely difficult weekly. I believe that even if its not Spain a few quality veterans need to be added in a few position groups. OL/WR/LB. My money is still on Volson to start at LG so maybe the Bengals had enough of Spain & Twitter rants but time will tell.The league also shafted us with one home game in October which I'm pissed about! I brought season tickets this year but won't be in town for all of the games so inbox me and I'll let you know if I'm going a week before they hit the ticket exchange two lower level seats 100's. I'm always here for my fellow board members. Thumbs up before they give me one  Wink
Who Dey
https://youtu.be/9bOmIfS0iSA
Thoughts
Reply/Quote
spain played pretty well for us till he was hurt. and if one of the younger guys can beat him out he makes better depth than anything we have at OG (Backups)
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2022, 02:43 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: spain played pretty well for us till he was hurt. and if one of the younger guys can beat him out he makes better depth than anything we have at OG (Backups)

Tiger

I agree but I wonder if his asking price was too rich to begin with and he hasn't been picked up to my knowledge. I thought that he played well but its the "play" and sort of being guilty by association with a bad offensive line. I thought Adeniji had a promising future on the outside but moving him inside may have ruined his development. As much as I hate to say it but the allegations against JC although unfounded turned me off on him unfairly. I have a daughter that age.
Reply/Quote
Quinton Spain has been an engima to me ever since we signed him.

He was a late bloomer, but beginning at age 25 he started for the Titan for three straight years. Despite allowing just one sack in 15 starts his final year in Tennessee he only got a 1 yr $2 million contract with the Bills for 2019. He started all 16 games, only allowed one sack, and was given a 3 yr $15 million extension. Then, just six weeks into the 2020 season Buffalo cuts him.

I did not remember Spain by name, but I live in the Titans media area and I remember those O-lines from '16-'18 looking pretty good. So when I saw those crazy "sacks allowed" numbers I was thrilled to get him. But I also wondered why the Bills let him go so quickly. Cap space is useless in the middle of the year.

He started just 10 days after we signed him and ended up playing 3 different positions. His start at RT against the Steelers was the first time he played OT in the NFL. Everyone seemed to agree that he played well for us the second half of that season. But again it seemed like he was undersold in free agency when the Bengals signed him for only $1.1 million.

This year he was supposed to be fairly well rated by PFF, but we were awful weak up the middle all year. I thought he would get around $3 million, but looking back on some of the deals he had in the past he may have to pay some team to let him play.

Right now I think we need an OT a lot more than an OG, but if Spain's value bottoms out again I'd be glad to take him back.
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2022, 03:06 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Quinton Spain has been an engima to me ever since we signed him.

He was a late bloomer, but beginning at age 25 he started for the Titan for three straight years. Despite allowing just one sack in 15 starts his final year in Tennessee he only got a 1 yr $2 million contract with the Bills for 2019. He started all 16 games, only allowed one sack, and was given a 3 yr $15 million extension. Then, just six weeks into the 2020 season Buffalo cuts him.

I did not remember Spain by name, but I live in the Titans media area and I remember those O-lines from '16-'18 looking pretty good. So when I saw those crazy "sacks allowed" numbers I was thrilled to get him. But I also wondered why the Bills let him go so quickly. Cap space is useless in the middle of the year.

He started just 10 days after we signed him and ended up playing 3 different positions. His start at RT against the Steelers was the first time he played OT in the NFL. Everyone seemed to agree that he played well for us the second half of that season. But again it seemed like he was undersold in free agency when the Bengals signed him for only $1.1 million.

This year he was supposed to be fairly well rated by PFF, but we were awful weak up the middle all year. I thought he would get around $3 million, but looking back on some of the deals he had in the past he may have to pay some team to let him play.

Right now I think we need an OT a lot more than an OG, but if Spain's value bottoms out again I'd be glad to take him back.

Tiger

I agree on bringing in an offensive tackle as well because we have next to nothing behind the starters.
Maybe I'm alone but I thought that Reiff would've been perfect for what he's needed to be for this team and thats a veteran swing tackle. As for Spain this may be the best culture for him to continue his career and I'm sure his agent has convoyed that to him. The moral of the story is that its likely a player that wants more than he's worth around the league because of a SB appearance. As much as he may not want to believe it. The "play" may have ruined his earning potential. Its no doubt in my mind that the Bengals made an offer.
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2022, 02:41 PM)Emeritus Wrote: Tiger

I know I Know...
I'm not sure if this team as its currently constructed could sustain multiple injuries on the offensive line and go where everyone thinks its capable. I must say that when I seen that schedule I never thought about "Primetime" games. We need to make it out of the front half of the schedule healthy and two above 500 imo. The second half of the schedule is absolutely difficult weekly. I believe that even if its not Spain a few quality veterans need to be added in a few position groups. OL/WR/LB. My money is still on Volson to start at LG so maybe the Bengals had enough of Spain & Twitter rants but time will tell.The league also shafted us with one home game in October which I'm pissed about! I brought season tickets this year but won't be in town for all of the games so inbox me and I'll let you know if I'm going a week before they hit the ticket exchange two lower level seats 100's. I'm always here for my fellow board members. Thumbs up before they give me one  Wink
Who Dey

Thoughts

If you ever run into a time you can't go, let me know and I'll find a way to get the money for them. Been talking all year to try and take my wife to her first NFL game. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2022, 03:06 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Quinton Spain has been an engima to me ever since we signed him.

Tiger

I want to ask you one the Mr Fred Toast that you said in one of my posts and get your reflection. I can't remember which thread it was but maybe some of our tech savy gurus would post it here but...
I called Joe Burrow a generational talent last year and you told me I was wrong. So now that your here do you still believe that a year later? I don't have any stats because what he brings to this organization can't be measured.
Reply/Quote
Spain is only going to get the minimum again if someone signs him. He's probably going to wait until camp starts before signing. He has no leverage now, he might gain some if there's an injury. There's really nothing for him to gain by signing before camp if all he's going to get is the minimum anyway.
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2022, 02:41 PM)Emeritus Wrote: Tiger

I know I Know...
Who Dey

Thoughts

Let's be honest, hardly any fan would likely be comfortable with a single injury to the OL right now.

Options to fill in at each spot:
LT - D'Ante Smith
LG - Cordell Volson, Hakeem Adeniji
C - Trey Hill, Ben Brown, Lamont Gaillard
RG - Cordell Volson, Hakeem Adeniji
RT - Isaiah Prince

Maybe 1-2 of these guys could fill in ok, but we've either only seen poor results or haven't seen them at all yet to feel confident.

So I'm 100% in favor of adding a versatile vet.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(05-13-2022, 04:00 PM)ochocincos Wrote: So I'm 100% in favor of adding a versatile vet.

We have $15+ million in cap space and are legitimate Super Bowl contenders.

It seems crazy not to sign at least one experience vet.  Not even a big star.  Just a healthy guy with some starting experience. $3-$4 million.

Too many people act like we are guaranteed to be Super Bowl contenders for years to come.  I believe that could be true.  I am hoping for it.  But anyone who has followed the NFL for long knows that the winds can shift quickly.  So when you have a roster to compete for the Lombardi you don't pinch pennies.  You have to strike while the pie is hot.
Reply/Quote
Personally I would like to see Quinton back. He played well when healthy and was hurt when he played poorly in the
Postseason. I just don't know if the FO and coaches want him back after his poor effort on the last play of the SB.

We will see if we bring him back if it was an unforgiveable offense.
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2022, 04:23 PM)fredtoast Wrote: We have $15+ million in cap space and are legitimate Super Bowl contenders.

It seems crazy not to sign at least one experience vet.  Not even a big star.  Just a healthy guy with some starting experience. $3-$4 million.

Too many people act like we are guaranteed to be Super Bowl contenders for years to come.  I believe that could be true.  I am hoping for it.  But anyone who has followed the NFL for long knows that the winds can shift quickly.  So when you have a roster to compete for the Lombardi you don't pinch pennies.  You have to strike while the pie is hot.

I agree.

I wonder if they are waiting to see how the young guys do in Training Camp before adding someone?
Or waiting for more possible cuts.

Plenty of solid options even right now though to add.
Spend a few mill to get insurance and have them getting familiar with the blocking assignments and bonding with the other guys.
As you said, Bengals have plenty of cap to add more later even if they add someone now.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(05-13-2022, 04:00 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Let's be honest, hardly any fan would likely be comfortable with a single injury to the OL right now.

Options to fill in at each spot:
LT - D'Ante Smith
LG - Cordell Volson, Hakeem Adeniji
C - Trey Hill, Ben Brown, Lamont Gaillard
RG - Cordell Volson, Hakeem Adeniji
RT - Isaiah Prince

Maybe 1-2 of these guys could fill in ok, but we've either only seen poor results or haven't seen them at all yet to feel confident.

So I'm 100% in favor of adding a versatile vet.
Tiger

I was looking at some publication and didn't realize Trey Hill was so young... I think 21 as the season starts. I agree with grooming young talent but we need some more seasoned backups along the offensive line. If we stay healthy in the first half of the season two or more games above 500 then game on! I've also seen that D'Ante Smith could challenge the LG spot but I'll believe it when I see it.
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2022, 04:23 PM)fredtoast Wrote: We have $15+ million in cap space and are legitimate Super Bowl contenders.

Tiger

If we get back to the SB this season then this organization will go to the stratosphere in so many ways! I'd love to see them add JC Tretter at some point before camp.
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2022, 03:56 PM)WVUHomer Wrote: If you ever run into a time you can't go, let me know and I'll find a way to get the money for them. Been talking all year to try and take my wife to her first NFL game. 

Tiger

I'm definitely going to the home opener but I'm not sure which games I'll make it up fo after that. I'll definitely keep you posted. Anything beating the Steelers I'm there. Still not over "it"
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2022, 04:44 PM)Emeritus Wrote: Tiger

If we get back to the SB this season then this organization will go to the stratosphere in so many ways! I'd love to see them add JC Tretter at some point before camp.

I like Tretter as well but he is more of a Center. But getting Tretter would allow us to move Karras to LG where some say he 
played better but I truly think the coaches want Carman to start at LG so this is why this might be out of the question. If we 
don't want Spain back cause of his poor effort in the SB who else is out there that is a Vet that can be a backup behind Carman
I wonder?
Reply/Quote

I just realized that I rambled way too much in this post.  Let me make it more simple.  .  .  

for some reason Spain seems to be signed for a lot less than his apparent market value.  I'd rather sign a veteran OT, but I'd love to take Spain back if he only gets a couple of million.
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2022, 04:50 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I just realized that I rambled way too much in this post.  Let me make it more simple.  .  .  

for some reason Spain seems to be signed for a lot less than his apparent market value.  I'd rather sign a veteran OT, but I'd love to take Spain back if he only gets a couple of million.

Yeah, Spain also might be wanting too much and that is the reason we haven't re-signed him plus what Ocho said about no point
in signing him right now. Both Spain and Ogunjobi could be on the opening roster on down the road though as depth pieces. If both
are healthy that is.
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2022, 04:47 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I like Tretter as well but he is more of a Center. But getting Tretter would allow us to move Karras to LG where some say he 
played better but I truly think the coaches want Carman to start at LG so this is why this might be out of the question. If we 
don't want Spain back cause of his poor effort in the SB who else is out there that is a Vet that can be a backup behind Carman
I wonder?

Tiger

If we could get Tretter or a proven offensive center and move Karras to the LG spot where he has been above average then its the line that we want to put us right there! In all honesty I "stink" JC. I'm rooting for Volson a glass eater from a small school thats played football at a high level. Watch this guys film and hes impressive for sure.
Reply/Quote

I agree.  But as far as cap space have the Bengals singed any of their draft picks yet? I have not heard of any yet but I may have missed it.  According to Over the Cap the rookie pool will cost 6.9 million. 

https://overthecap.com/draft/

So after that it still gives them 8 million left over though.  I hope they spend almost every penny of it.

Edit Over the Cap shows the Bengals have 17 million.  

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space/

So after rookie signings that gives them 10 million to bring in other players.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote