Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who would you pick as the Bengals first Rounder?
(03-24-2017, 07:45 AM)Jpoore Wrote: Mike williams... Not taking second teir of defensive ends at 9.

his neck injury worries me tho  Ninja
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2017, 01:20 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yeah, if the top 3 Ends are gone i trade back and either pick Ross, Davis, Howard, Foster, Reddick, Cunningham, Robinson, Lamp or Taco.

Hope we can get a trade partner if the top 3 Ends are gone cause it seems pretty obvious to be the right move.

We would get a good player without reaching all the while adding a pick.

I don't know how far back we could trade and still have a legit shot at either Ross, Davis, Howard, or Foster, especially Foster. Signing Minter really has me shaking my head, but I guess it affirms Lapham's assertion that we're going DE or WR/TE ("receiver") in the first. 
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2017, 02:34 PM)Shady Wrote: I don't know how far back we could trade and still have a legit shot at either Ross, Davis, Howard, or Foster, especially Foster. Signing Minter really has me shaking my head, but I guess it affirms Lapham's assertion that we're going DE or WR/TE ("receiver") in the first. 

Houston needs a QB, they would probably trade with us to get ahead of the Clowns.

Foster has his problems, he is a great run stopper and he can run sideline to sideline with the best of them but
he sometimes watches the QB's eyes too much in coverage and gets lost. Not even mentioning his weirdness at
the combine. He could fall to the mid first.

DE is definately the most likely pick for us but if the first 3 are gone i think it would be a reach to pick Taco.

I would trade back or take Ross, Howard, Davis, Foster, Cunningham, Reddick or Mike Williams before Taco at 9.
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2017, 01:50 AM)Shady Wrote: Personally, I don't think so.

Would they really pass on:

Foster (even in light of Kevin Minter)?
Reddick?
Ross, Davis, or Williams, or Howard?
Jamal Adams?
Hooker, if he's there? 

I know Taco fits the physical model. But he's a very raw talent to take at 9. 

Check Voch Lombardi's report on him.

Voch observes that Taco is 

a.) slow to get off blocks, 
b.) dances around too much, and 
c.) doesn't use his size enough to his advantage. 

These are all coachable things, but I just think there's a chance he slides to the second round. He'd be a better pick at 41 than at 9. That's all I'm saying.
the film doesn't lie....we'll see how the first 8 picks go.....then it's decision time...
Reply/Quote
Thomas if he's there (he won't be). Charlton or Bennett next. I'm a big believer in building the lines with early draft picks. No OLmen aww worth such an early pick, so DE it is. I prefer Charlton because he should be a great base end opposite Dunlap.
Reply/Quote
I'm going Fournette. Get a star RB that can pound the ball and control the clock.

Our defense should be fairly capable this year.

Pound the ball with Fournette and control the clock.

If he's gone...I still like Foster.
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2017, 01:43 PM)magikod Wrote: his neck injury worries me tho  Ninja

Didnt seem to bother him in 2016. He took some vicious shots by bama players including foster to the head and neck on that game and he never got hurt. Worries me a lot less than ross injuries. Williams is the one i want more than anyone, but would be fine with davis as well.
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2017, 11:30 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I'm going Fournette. Get a star RB that can pound the ball and control the clock.

Our defense should be fairly capable this year.

Pound the ball with Fournette and control the clock.

If he's gone...I still like Foster.

I think Fournette will be gone so I'm going to say Mike Williams.  If they are both gone, trade down and get some O lineman later.
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2017, 02:34 PM)Shady Wrote: I don't know how far back we could trade and still have a legit shot at either Ross, Davis, Howard, or Foster, especially Foster. Signing Minter really has me shaking my head, but I guess it affirms Lapham's assertion that we're going DE or WR/TE ("receiver") in the first. 

trading back requires a trading partner...& I just don't see another team wanting to pay a HIGH price to move up to #9....I trust Lapham's opinion.....that's one reason why I thought it would be Taco b/c Thomas & Barnette would both be off the board & Taco is the next best DE & he fits the mold we prefer...some say he's a "slight" reach... I don't like to quote any mocks but...walter football has O.J. Howard at #6, Barnette #8 Foster to us at #9, Williams at #10 & Taco at #11...so these guys are all ranked pretty close together....on some mocks...
    one of our biggest needs is DE....we all know this....but there's quality DE's in the first 4 rds but of course the quality drops ....
    I was not a fan of Foster but w/ #58 Rey now gone it may be Foster....if so fine...but we still have a hole at DE that HAS  to be addressed, befor rd #4 imo........our "D" HAS TO GET more pressure on the QB's.... period...unless we want to win "shootouts" ...& our offense only scoring an avg of 20 points last yr isn't a good sign for that approach...
so at this time my preferred pick at #9 is a toss up b/t O.J. Howard, Foster or Taco...

Reply/Quote
(03-25-2017, 01:43 PM)magikod Wrote: his neck injury worries me tho  Ninja

so you see the 3rd best DE as a 2nd tier pick....?
but prefer a WR who has some lingering health issues..?

the bengals really, really need help at DE....
our WR's could use an upgrade but I see Cody Core as much improved this yr....he can run very, very fast...
& w/ just resigning Lafell....I just don't see a WR at #9...
if we do draft a pass catcher @9 I hope it's TE O.J. Howard....
I think he'd do a lot more for our offence than another WR.....& Eifert's a FA next yr....
but I do believe I am higher on Taco than most ppl.....perhaps I am wrong..?  haha
Reply/Quote
The thought of Foster , Minter and Burfict is too good to pass up IMO
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2017, 01:46 PM)Steve Wrote: so you see the 3rd best DE as a 2nd tier pick....?
but prefer a WR who has some lingering health issues..?

the bengals really, really need help at DE....
our WR's could use an upgrade but I see Cody Core as much improved this yr....he can run very, very fast...
& w/ just resigning Lafell....I just don't see a WR at #9...
if we do draft a pass catcher @9 I hope it's TE O.J. Howard....
I think he'd do a lot more for our offence than another WR.....& Eifert's a FA next yr....
but I do believe I am higher on Taco than most ppl.....perhaps I am wrong..?  haha

It would more than likely be the 4th best de. If ur getting a top 10 pick he needs to be the beat player at his position in the draft. We can easily get a great de in the second round like demarcus walker. He has no questions about his health. He broke his neck, but came back and took bunch of shots to the head no problem. Lafell has 0 guarenteed after thia year so thats why i think we go reciever.
Reply/Quote
I still like Foster. The idea of having Foster Minter and Burfict with maybe McDowell as DT/DE in the second round would make a good defense stouter. The Bengals will also have WJ3 and Billings this year.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(03-24-2017, 01:58 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: ThumbsUp
Derek Barnett DE

Why? We would finally have that pass rusher opposite of Dunlap that will solidify this D-line as one of the best in football.

Derek Barnett - Geno Atkins - Andrew Billings - Carlos Dunlap

Then look to upgrading the OL from the 2nd round on. Particularly Center and adding a raw talented OT for the future.

If Barnett is not there my 2nd favorite pick is a tie between John Ross, Corey Davis, OJ Howard, Rueben Foster and could
add a few more. Seeing too many mocks with Solomon Thomas going before us but if he is there all for him as well.

Lots of ways we could go making me happy in the 1st, go BPA here, after the first is where we will make hay this year.
I agree w/ you Nate...but think Barnette will go #8 to Carolina...
so if the bengals want to address the DE position in rd #1 it will be Taco....& w/ him being 6'6" 277 lbs the bengals may even have him higher on their board than Barnette, who's only 6' 3" 268 lbs.....but I guess you see Taco as a slight reach b/c you didn't mention his name as a option at #9...

if not DE in rd 1 then it should be DE in rd 2...& there will be several there to pick from.....just not as good....? i'd prefer to pick Taco at #9 & get it over with....but Howard & Foster would also be great additions....but the DE hole would still be there...
but also like your idea about OC & or OT early too....
Bodine's been a weak link from day 1 & our new OT's are shaky at best....
these positions should be addressed EARLY.....
I do not want a WR at #9.....just don't see it as a huge need....I see Cody Core getting more playing time this yr....not saying the WR's this yr are a reach at 9, just we have bigger needs & O.J. Howard, Foster or Taco will give us more bang for our #9 buck than a #2 WR....then Cody Core has to ride the bench...which imo is a waste....
i'd say it's 40% Taco, 35% Howard & 25% Foster....at this time...
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2017, 02:06 PM)Lawless_1 Wrote: Its going to be Howard. Eifert is gone after this season.

I think Howard will better than Eifert....& hopefully avoids injuries...
a true stud.....
 unstoppable on pass routes & in the red zone.......
but if we do this at #9 we HAVE to go DE in rd #2...
then perhaps OT & OC in rds 3 & 4..? b/c our O-line also needs some help... 
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2017, 01:42 AM)Jpoore Wrote: Didnt seem to bother him in 2016. He took some vicious shots by bama players including foster to the head and neck on that game and he never got hurt. Worries me a lot less than ross injuries. Williams is the one i want more than anyone, but would be fine with davis as well.

there's several quality WR's in this yrs group....but if we pick one of them at #9, that means our speedster Cody Core does what....ride the bench...??   I don't like that idea...
Reply/Quote
Minter is on a 1 year deal..We just spent a 2nd rounder on a WR...Eifert may be hurt but that is gonna make him more affordable to extend or resign..But this is more about my preference than anything else.

So, if I had to do it, I would draft Rueben Foster...Not necessarily make him and MLB..Move Burfict to MLB and look at what you may have in the future WLB-Foster, MLB-Burfict, SAM-Vigil

Foster pops out to me on film, he is a force..I usually don't watch LB's that much but man, when this kid sees it, he brings it with a lot of authority..
Reply/Quote
I would take Rueben Foster.

I know the Bengals need a DE, but Garret and Solomon Thomas are likely to be gone. I don't want to take the 3rd best DE with the #9 pick.

I think a LB corps of Burfict, Foster and Minter is not only a huge upgrade from last years.....but also a bit scary to other teams.
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2017, 03:04 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Makes sense. Wouldn't mind trading down and picking up Cunningham or Reddick either.

we all know the bengals rarely trade.....up or down...
& w/ the 10 to 20 picks being so closely matched as far as value....if someone trades down the person they wanted my not be there when their pick comes up.....
i'd say theres a 99% chance the bengals stay at #9...
pick Taco, Howard or Foster...
i'd be happy w/ any of the three....but upgrading the DE position has to be done EARLY....
he needs to start on day #1....
Reply/Quote
The more I think about our pick, the more I realize positions like WR and CB need more quality players at each due to WR sets of 3 or more.

I could see us taking a WR or a TE at #9.
I think if a top 2 DE is still there, we take him (Thomas or Barnett), but I see offensive pick since MB does not value LB's value in top 10 picks after the new CBA. Here is how I rate picks in order if they are there:

Thomas
Barnett
C. Davis
Howard
Williams
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote