Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who would you pick as the Bengals first Rounder?
(03-26-2017, 03:16 PM)Beaker Wrote: I would take Rueben Foster.

I know the Bengals need a DE, but Garret and Solomon Thomas are likely to be gone. I don't want to take the 3rd best DE with the #9 pick.

I think a LB corps of Burfict, Foster and Minter is not only a huge upgrade from last years.....but also a bit scary to other teams.

you may be right Beaker but....the last time the bengals took a LB high in rd 1 it didn't work out.....Keith Rivers @ 11...
the bengals almost never go LB in rd #1...
I know he is a quality LB but.....am somewhat afraid he'd be too much of a loose cannon like Burfect...a lot of penalties....& I don't like all his old concussions....& how could he scream at a hospital worker....??? WTF is up w/ that..!!!! 
& now w/ Kevin Minter here & Minter being 20 lbs heavier, less injury prone...?.....perhaps we should upgrade a more critical position in rd #1...
I like Foster, but would rather have Taco or Howard ahead of him...b/c Eifert will probably be gone next yr....
but I trust our war room....we'll see...
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2017, 03:41 PM)Steve Wrote: you may be right Beaker but....the last time the bengals took a LB high in rd 1 it didn't work out.....Keith Rivers @ 11...
the bengals almost never go LB in rd #1...
I know he is a quality LB but.....am somewhat afraid he'd be too much of a loose cannon like Burfect...a lot of penalties....& I don't like all his old concussions....& how could he scream at a hospital worker....??? WTF is up w/ that..!!!! 
& now w/ Kevin Minter here & Minter being 20 lbs heavier, less injury prone...?.....perhaps we should upgrade a more critical position in rd #1...
I like Foster, but would rather have Taco or Howard ahead of him...b/c Eifert will probably be gone next yr....
but I trust our war room....we'll see...

I have no issue if we took Foster either, I jut agree with you MB does not put enough value on a LB in top 10 so he won't draft him.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2017, 02:32 PM)Steve Wrote: I agree w/ you Nate...but think Barnette will go #8 to Carolina...
so if the bengals want to address the DE position in rd #1 it will be Taco....& w/ him being 6'6" 277 lbs the bengals may even have him higher on their board than Barnette, who's only 6' 3" 268 lbs.....but I guess you see Taco as a slight reach b/c you didn't mention his name as a option at #9...

if not DE in rd 1 then it should be DE in rd 2...& there will be several there to pick from.....just not as good....? i'd prefer to pick Taco at #9 & get it over with....but Howard & Foster would also be great additions....but the DE hole would still be there...
but also like your idea about OC & or OT early too....
Bodine's been a weak link from day 1 & our new OT's are shaky at best....
these positions should be addressed EARLY.....
I do not want a WR at #9.....just don't see it as a huge need....I see Cody Core getting more playing time this yr....not saying the WR's this yr are a reach at 9, just we have bigger needs & O.J. Howard, Foster or Taco will give us more bang for our #9 buck than a #2 WR....then Cody Core has to ride the bench...which imo is a waste....
i'd say it's 40% Taco, 35% Howard & 25% Foster....at this time...

Cool man, i have heard the Panthers like Solomon Thomas a touch more for their Defense and Fournette is also a
real possibility for them. Barnett is seeming the most likely pick for us right now to me, we will see. Taco i like if we
trade down, he has the size we look for but he is a little slow getting off blocks for me and dances around a bit too
much for my liking. Still like the guy, just not so much at 9.

Howard is definately growing on me. Great insurance in case Eifert is never the same or leaves, he might be even
better than Eifert, yah never know. He is already a great blocker and pass catcher, very polished TE.

We definately need a Center in this draft somewhat early. Like you said Bodine has been the weak link since he got
here and this is his last season. Need to bring in his successor who will be a clear upgrade.

Really like Core but it takes a little bit for him to get up to that great speed. A guy like John Ross is up to speed
immediately which is why i am for him. He would be such a great slant guy for us if the OL is playing bad, Andy
could just drop it off to Ross and he could take it the distance. Can't teach speed.
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2017, 10:17 AM)Marlon23 Wrote: If you are in Charge of picking up the First Rounder who would you choose and why?
I can say the Bengals want the LSU running back to be there.  They want him bad.  They have said so.  He also is not the only running back they have looked at. Bengals are determined to get a major impact player at pick # 9. I think we can rule out guard since Mike Brown says they don't win many games and that nonsense would apply to center. If not RB then DE is a top pick position as is WR and QB and DT if the DT is a real monster or LB. They pick in the Top Ten, and they intend to come away with a player and position worthy of Top Ten, a real game changer.....ALSO, the Bengals may be looking to who they can't afford to resign and will lose in 2018 free agency. Whoever that may be. Bengals often draft ahead to replace veterans they see leaving. Maualuga, Burfict and Minter are all free agents next March as is Hill and Eifert. If they don't get the LSU RB, it would be their pattern to fill this LB void coming up, and that could be Foster...OH, Maualuga cut yesterday. LB becomes a draft need even more.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Mike Williams if the best linebacker is off the board(Also assuming both elite DEs are gone)
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2017, 03:25 PM)Steve Wrote: we all know the bengals rarely trade.....up or down...
& w/ the 10 to 20 picks being so closely matched as far as value....if someone trades down the person they wanted my not be there when their pick comes up.....
i'd say theres a 99% chance the bengals stay at #9...
pick Taco, Howard or Foster...
i'd be happy w/ any of the three....but upgrading the DE position has to be done EARLY....
he needs to start on day #1....

I can't even remember the last time we traded up.

But we traded down and got Zeitler so trading down is possible.

You are right though, we need to get an End early for sure, if not in the first, in the second.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2017, 03:51 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Cool man, i have heard the Panthers like Solomon Thomas a touch more for their Defense and Fournette is also a
real possibility for them. Barnett is seeming the most likely pick for us right now to me, we will see. Taco i like if we
trade down, he has the size we look for but he is a little slow getting off blocks for me and dances around a bit too
much for my liking. Still like the guy, just not so much at 9.

Howard is definately growing on me. Great insurance in case Eifert is never the same or leaves, he might be even
better than Eifert, yah never know. He is already a great blocker and pass catcher, very polished TE.

We definately need a Center in this draft somewhat early. Like you said Bodine has been the weak link since he got
here and this is his last season. Need to bring in his successor who will be a clear upgrade.

Really like Core but it takes a little bit for him to get up to that great speed. A guy like John Ross is up to speed
immediately which is why i am for him. He would be such a great slant guy for us if the OL is playing bad, Andy
could just drop it off to Ross and he could take it the distance. Can't teach speed.

I think SF at #2 picks Soloman Thomas & Carolina at #8 picks Barnette....I don't see a QB picked in the top 10....but I wish SF & the Jets would both pick one.... be great news for us bengals fans...
 I just don't see a big need at WR this yr for us...although there's several very good ones....if we did have Ross in the slot....then what do we do w/ our 2nd rd pick from last yr out of Pitt....??  that's his position...same w/ Core...why draft a new WR then have one of our guys go to the bench.....?? & we just resigned Lafell...I would rather target a position that needs upgraded more.....but I understand too about BPA....no reaching to fill a hole...I know, it's complicated, & there's no right or wrong per se....we all want the same thing.....improve the team...
I want an OC in rds 2 or 3....but I say that every yr & it's ZIP.....nada....no soup for me....!!!  but this yr there's several good ones...so maybe this yr we'll upgrade that spot...seems every yr someone slides....perhaps we'll get lucky....?  my dream pick would be Thomas....but it's so unlikely I've never mentioned it out loud....
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2017, 04:03 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I can't even remember the last time we traded up.

You are right though, we need to get an End early for sure, if not in the first, in the second.
I do....traded up to the #1 spot....everyone thought it was a brilliant move by our war room.....
I remember the headline from the Enquirer...

KA-BOOM
KA-JANAH...!!!!
 then in his first preseason game vs the lions he hurts his knee....WOW
talk about a gut shot....SMH...he was never the same..  :-{

I know trading is possible but w/ most teams, especially the Bengals it's highly unlikely...just too expensive..
but we should of traded our #1 pick to Ditka's saints about a 15 yrs ago....would of been what..7-8 picks for our 1 pick..? but no, we turned it down.....very conservative approach....
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2017, 04:28 PM)Steve Wrote: I think SF at #2 picks Soloman Thomas & Carolina at #8 picks Barnette....I don't see a QB picked in the top 10....but I wish SF & the Jets would both pick one.... be great news for us bengals fans...
 I just don't see a big need at WR this yr for us...although there's several very good ones....if we did have Ross in the slot....then what do we do w/ our 2nd rd pick from last yr out of Pitt....??  that's his position...same w/ Core...why draft a new WR then have one of our guys go to the bench.....?? & we just resigned Lafell...I would rather target a position that needs upgraded more.....but I understand too about BPA....no reaching to fill a hole...I know, it's complicated, & there's no right or wrong per se....we all want the same thing.....improve the team...
I want an OC in rds 2 or 3....but I say that every yr & it's ZIP.....nada....no soup for me....!!!  but this yr there's several good ones...so maybe this yr we'll upgrade that spot...seems every yr someone slides....perhaps we'll get lucky....?  my dream pick would be Thomas....but it's so unlikely I've never mentioned it out loud....

Could happen that way and i understand why people don't want a WR at 9. Lafell and Boyd are good but
they are not speedsters. This is something we desperately needed last year and lots of us fans were calling
for Core by midseason. Took till like week 14 for the coaches to finally see this.

Core came in and impressed. No surprise.

Solomon might fall cause of his lack of sacks, you never know...

(03-26-2017, 04:40 PM)Steve Wrote: I do....traded up to the #1 spot....everyone thought it was a brilliant move by our war room.....
I remember the headline from the Enquirer...

KA-BOOM
KA-JANAH...!!!!
 then in his first preseason game vs the lions he hurts his knee....WOW
talk about a gut shot....SMH...he was never the same..  :-{

I know trading is possible but w/ most teams, especially the Bengals it's highly unlikely...just too expensive..
but we should of traded our #1 pick to Ditka's saints about a 15 yrs ago....would of been what..7-8 picks for our 1 pick..? but no, we turned it down.....very conservative approach....

Ewww, bad memories.

I like it now. Mellow
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2017, 03:58 PM)kevin Wrote: I can say the Bengals want the LSU running back to be there.  They want him bad.  They have said so.  He also is not the only running back they have looked at. Bengals are determined to get a major impact player at pick # 9.  I think we can rule out guard since Mike Brown says they don't win many games and that nonsense would apply to center.  If not RB then DE is a top pick position as is WR and QB and DT if the DT is a real monster or LB.  They pick in the Top Ten, and they intend to come away with a player and position worthy of Top Ten, a real game changer.....ALSO, the Bengals may be looking to who they can't afford to resign and will lose in 2018 free agency. Whoever that may be.  Bengals often draft ahead to replace veterans they see leaving. Maualuga, Burfict and Minter are all free agents next March as is Hill and Eifert.   If they don't get the LSU RB, it would be their pattern to fill this LB void coming up, and that could be Foster...OH, Maualuga cut yesterday. LB becomes a draft need even more.

I've seen multiple sites/sources saying the jets also like Fournette a lot....help out the struggling QB, whomever that is....also have seen where if Fournette would slip to the Panthers at 8 & Barnette was also still on the board,{would probably only happen if one or more QB's were picked in the top 7 which is unlikely}, then the Panthers would be split....as they really like both Fournette & Barnette...but they can only draft one of them so the other one would be there for us....if we did get Fournette i'd be thrilled....but it would be bittersweet b/c we still have a giant hole at DE....so i'd probably prefer Barnette or Taco....but it's a tough call....Fournette looks very, very strong, fast....another A. Peterson type  ....might even be the best RB to ever play for this team....?  
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2017, 10:17 AM)Marlon23 Wrote: If you are in Charge of picking up the First Rounder who would you choose and why?

Reuben Foster or Solomon Thomas 
Reply/Quote
Wr John Ross or TE OJ Howard for Offense. LB R. Foster or DE D. Barnett for Defense.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2017, 03:16 PM)Beaker Wrote: I would take Rueben Foster.

I know the Bengals need a DE, but Garret and Solomon Thomas are likely to be gone. I don't want to take the 3rd best DE with the #9 pick.

I think a LB corps of Burfict, Foster and Minter is not only a huge upgrade from last years.....but also a bit scary to other teams.

The more I think about it the more I like your logic. We have the 9th pick, we will have the option to a player some think may be the best at their position or take a player that is the undisputed best player at their position. I like Barnett too and I know it's a position of need but what makes that pick at 9 any different than trading back for the 2nd or 3rd best at another position. So I agree, take the best damn player at another position that we need. If it's OJ great, even Foster or Fournette. No point in taking the 4th or even 3rd best pass rusher if of course Garret, Thomas and Barnett are gone at 9. If not then trade back.
Reply/Quote
Know it would never happen, but I would give Browns AJ, our 9th pick and our 4th round pick for #1 pick to grab Myles Garrett. Maybe even more!
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2017, 04:57 PM)Steve Wrote: I've seen multiple sites/sources saying the jets also like Fournette a lot....help out the struggling QB, whomever that is....also have seen where if Fournette would slip to the Panthers at 8 & Barnette was also still on the board,{would probably only happen if one or more QB's were picked in the top 7 which is unlikely}, then the Panthers would be split....as they really like both Fournette & Barnette...but they can only draft one of them so the other one would be there for us....if we did get Fournette i'd be thrilled....but it would be bittersweet b/c we still have a giant hole at DE....so i'd probably prefer Barnette or Taco....but it's a tough call....Fournette looks very, very strong, fast....another A. Peterson type  ....might even be the best RB to ever play for this team....?  

I would hate to use the #9 pick on a player that's ranked 4th at their position.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2017, 08:59 PM)TKUHL Wrote: The more I think about it the more I like your logic. We have the 9th pick, we will have the option to a player some think may be the best at their position or take a player that is the undisputed best player at their position. I like Barnett too and I know it's a position of need but what makes that pick at 9 any different than trading back for the 2nd or 3rd best at another position. So I agree, take the best damn player at another position that we need. If it's OJ great, even Foster or Fournette. No point in taking the 4th or even 3rd best pass rusher if of course Garret, Thomas and Barnett are gone at 9. If not then trade back.
Well that would assume that foster is the best lb in the draft. I think reddick goes before foster possibly cunningham as well imo, and i believe we think mitner is a long term answer, leaving no room for foster
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2017, 09:17 PM)TKUHL Wrote: I would hate to use the #9 pick on a player that's ranked 4th at their position.

I don't get this line of thinking.  If the 4th best player at a position is the 8-10 rated player overall then what's the problem taking that player at 9, especially if that player fill as a major need?  I'm not taking the number 1 qb just cuz he's the number one a position.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2017, 04:03 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I can't even remember the last time we traded up.

Come on Nate, you're better than that.

The last time we traded up was........

For Russell Bodine, 
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2017, 09:43 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: I don't get this line of thinking.  If the 4th best player at a position is the 8-10 rated player overall then what's the problem taking that player at 9, especially if that player fill as a major need?  I'm not taking the number 1 qb just cuz he's the number one a position.

It's not a "line of thinking" it's just BPA. You can't honestly say Taco is better than Fournette, Hooker, Howard Or even Foster. You know I'm not talking QB. This team has enough holes to take BPA instead of reaching at 9 for a player ranked 3rd or 4th at their position. Just saying there is no reason to reach for a player at 9. I know there are tons of Mocks that have us taking Barnett, that dosent make him a top 10 player. They just assume we will take a DE so they slot one to us cause the top 3 are already gone. We have a chance to pick the best RB to come out in a long time, same with TE and S. So why not. We need a RB, Hill sucks and Gio might not be ready. One can argue that RB could be our biggest need right now. Eiferts always hurt not to mention both are FA's and you know how that's been going. Then we have LB, Minter is on a 1 year deal and Burfict is a FA. If we pick the best player at any of these 3 positions it makes us significantly better for this year and the years that follow.
Reply/Quote
If he's there at #9, I would take OSU free safety Malik Hooker. Here is my reasoning:

He is a worthy successor to Reggie Nelson. If 2016 proved anything, it proved the Cincinnati defense is far less effective without an outstanding free safety.

Malik Hooker's coverage skills downfield will cause opposing quarterbacks to hold onto the ball longer, giving the Bengals' front four more sack opportunities especially on third and long. People sometimes tend to forget to factor coverage sacks into the equation. If the front four can pressure the quarterback then linebackers can cover tight ends and running backs.

A better free safety like Malik Hooker allows the strong safety more options because he knows over the top coverage will be there.

Finally, the man is a Death Star tractor beam for footballs.
Reply/Quote