Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Why am I so damn optimistic?
I had to bump this thread, friends. It isn't me taking a victory lap, and this thread kind of derailed to an "Is Uzomah a good TE", which we have seen he can be a very big asset when leaned on.

I just thought it was interesting how so many of the things that gave me optimism are still there, and how Fred actually nailed it with the one big question mark: The coaching. I don't mean to get caught up in the hyperbole of what was the greatest steeler beat down I have ever witnessed, but the coaches have things really looking solid.

They seem to have such diversity on offense. They can beat you so many ways. The defense is doing a TON of different formations, the 3 safety look, that gives even the most veteran QBs a bit of pause and that gives the line a moment longer to get home.

It is only through 11 games, but with 4 of the next 6 at home, the offense handing out 30 burgers to almost everyone, and the defense being able to be ranked 6th to this point in points allowed. This is crazy exciting.

I will leave with this (and hope everyone will comment): Before the Browns game, Joe was mic'd up, or maybe it was the player he was talking to, and he simply said: "If we can win this division, we can win it all". He's damn right.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2021, 09:36 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I had to bump this thread, friends.  It isn't me taking a victory lap, and this thread kind of derailed to an "Is Uzomah a good TE", which we have seen he can be a very big asset when leaned on.  

I just thought it was interesting how so many of the things that gave me optimism are still there, and how Fred actually nailed it with the one big question mark:  The coaching.  I don't mean to get caught up in the hyperbole of what was the greatest steeler beat down I have ever witnessed, but the coaches have things really looking solid.

They seem to have such diversity on offense.  They can beat you so many ways.  The defense is doing a TON of different formations, the 3 safety look, that gives even the most veteran QBs a bit of pause and that gives the line a moment longer to get home.  

It is only through 11 games, but with 4 of the next 6 at home, the offense handing out 30 burgers to almost everyone, and the defense being able to be ranked 6th to this point in points allowed.  This is crazy exciting.

I will leave with this (and hope everyone will comment):  Before the Browns game, Joe was mic'd up, or maybe it was the player he was talking to, and he simply said:  "If we can win this division, we can win it all".  He's damn right.

Now compare that to Tomlin's press conference, where he was asked about Claypool wanting music played at practice. Tomlin barked, "Claypool is a wideout, maybe he should concentrate on that and let me make the coaching decisions, that'd be a good division of duties", or something close to that effect. Lot's of tension in that locker room over there in Pissburgh.... Hilarious Hilarious Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2021, 09:40 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Now compare that to Tomlin's press conference, where he was asked about Claypool wanting music played at practice. Tomlin barked, "Claypool is a wideout, maybe he should concentrate on that and let me make the coaching decisions, that'd be a good division of duties", or something close to that effect. Lot's of tension in that locker room over there in Pissburgh.... Hilarious Hilarious Hilarious

It was actually a pretty funny quote by Omar Epps.  

I was throwing dirt on their grave before the season, and never bought in to them being a contender this year.  I was pretty certain it was going to be the Browns division to lose, but thought the Bengals could contend for a wild card for all the reasons listed when I started this thread.  

I'm very happy to be right about pitt and wrong about the Browns.  Man, that team....Now I read that Kareem Hun't dad is posting shit on social media.  What a circus.  That dude (Hunt) should be thrilled he is still in the league and just STFU.
Reply/Quote
The question is will the Bengals continue their inconsistency? or Will they be one of those teams that put it all together down the home stretch and head into the playoffs as a strong contender?
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(12-02-2021, 10:09 AM)Synric Wrote: The question is will the Bengals continue their inconsistency? or Will they be one of those teams that put it all together down the home stretch and head into the playoffs as a strong contender?

Inconsistency?  They had ONE game in the last 6 where they failed to score 30 points.  It was also one of just 2 games (out of 11) where they gave up over 30 points.  

I keep saying it, and people don't want to acknowledge it, but three straight road games is an absolute *****.  The Bengals were one of just two teams to get that by the NFL.  The other, the Colts, had a 12 point lead in the 4th quarter in their third game and lost as well.  It may sound like an excuse, but I wanted to give the defense the chance to get right at the bye week.  Since then, they completely shut down the Raiders and the steelers.

That was more of a blip on the radar than a model of inconsistency.  

They had some adversity, they dealt with it, and they seem like they are back on track.  I don't see this team taking any one lightly.  They have experienced what can happen if they do.  

Should the Bengals make the playoffs (and I think they have a very good chance of that), they will have made it with one of the toughest schedules in the league.  Right now, only the Pats can say they are hotter than the Bengals and their schedule on their run hasn't exactly been a murderer's row.

What has me so excited is Burrow in year 2, and how he shines on the biggest stage.  It won't be a cake walk to get to the Super Bowl, but if they win the division, I think they actually have a damn good chance.

Next up, Herbert and the Chargers.  Huge AFC matchup where both will be contending for playoff spots in the same conference.  

Reply/Quote
(12-02-2021, 10:20 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Inconsistency?  They had ONE game in the last 6 where they failed to score 30 points.  It was also one of just 2 games (out of 11) where they gave up over 30 points.  

I keep saying it, and people don't want to acknowledge it, but three straight road games is an absolute *****.  The Bengals were one of just two teams to get that by the NFL.  The other, the Colts, had a 12 point lead in the 4th quarter in their third game and lost as well.  It may sound like an excuse, but I wanted to give the defense the chance to get right at the bye week.  Since then, they completely shut down the Raiders and the steelers.

They had some adversity, they dealt with it, and they seem like they are back on track.  I don't see this team taking any one lightly.  They have experienced what can happen if they do.  

Should the Bengals make the playoffs (and I think they have a very good chance of that), they will have made it with one of the toughest schedules in the league.  Right now, only the Pats can say they are hotter than the Bengals and their schedule on their run hasn't exactly been a murderer's row.

What has me so excited is Burrow in year 2, and how he shines on the biggest stage.  It won't be a cake walk to get to the Super Bowl, but if they win the division, I think they actually have a damn good chance.

Next up, Herbert and the Chargers.  Huge AFC matchup where both will be contending for playoff spots in the same conference.  

There have been plenty of inconsistencies. First Half Struggles and then lots of points in the second half. Defense disappearing before the bye week. Turnovers. Solid pass protection one week massive pressures the next. Stuggles with 3rd and short. I'm not saying they havent overcome alot of them and have come out of the bye week strong but there are still 6 games left. They really need to finish with a 4-2 (possibly 3-3) to lock down a playoff spot against a tough schedule.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
I like the way the Bengals are trending up at the right time of the season.Some teams are trending down.Not a good sign.aka:The Browns,Steelers,even the Ravens offense is sputtering.I think our OL improvement is going to play a major role going forward.It appears Frank Pollack is finally reaping the fruits of his labor,as OL coach, and helping coordinate the run game.He works hard,and is relentless.
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2021, 10:09 AM)Synric Wrote: The question is will the Bengals continue their inconsistency? or Will they be one of those teams that put it all together down the home stretch and head into the playoffs as a strong contender?

This!  

Cautiously optimistic.

I thought 2005 WAS the turn around and Palmer goes down and Pittsburgh goes on to win the SB.

I thought again in 2015 it WAS the turn around and Dalton breaks his thumb.

Even with Dalton out, it appears they have the playoff game won . . BUT the other shoe drops and they Bungle it away!

2021?  Cautiously optimistic and after 30 years of egg laying and shoe dropping, so, yes, I'm cautiously optimistic. 

It won't come to pass until they make the playoffs and the playoff game clock reaches 00:00 with the Bengals at least 1 point ahead and o yellow or red flags on the field!
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2021, 10:28 AM)Synric Wrote: There have been plenty of inconsistencies. First Half Struggles and then lots of points in the second half. Defense disappearing before the bye week. Turnovers. Solid pass protection one week massive pressures the next. Stuggles with 3rd and short. I'm not saying they havent overcome alot of them and have come out of the bye week strong but there are still 6 games left. They really need to finish with a 4-2 (possibly 3-3) to lock down a playoff spot against a tough schedule.

Wasn't it clear that the early struggles on offense were just to protect Burrow while the offensive line settled in?  The offense has been the model of consistency with one exception, the Browns game. 

Not saying it is a done deal or anything, but they are trending up in so many facets....
Reply/Quote
I think it's fair to call this team inconsistent. The Bears loss is another example of the bad side of the equation. That doesn't have to define them though; there's plenty of season remaining and they're at their best right this moment. 7-4 should not encourage anything less than optimism, and 8-4 would put them near the top of the conference. We'll see what happens.
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2021, 10:20 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Inconsistency?  They had ONE game in the last 6 where they failed to score 30 points.  It was also one of just 2 games (out of 11) where they gave up over 30 points.  

(12-02-2021, 10:28 AM)Synric Wrote: There have been plenty of inconsistencies. First Half Struggles and then lots of points in the second half. Defense disappearing before the bye week. Turnovers. Solid pass protection one week massive pressures the next. Stuggles with 3rd and short. I'm not saying they havent overcome alot of them and have come out of the bye week strong but there are still 6 games left. They really need to finish with a 4-2 (possibly 3-3) to lock down a playoff spot against a tough schedule.

Their biggest inconsistency is stringing together a few wins in a row. Win a couple, read press clippings, drop a game you shouldn't have dropped. They need to take the next 2 and then see how things turn out in Denver. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2021, 01:33 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: This!  

Cautiously optimistic.

I thought 2005 WAS the turn around and Palmer goes down and Pittsburgh goes on to win the SB.

I thought again in 2015 it WAS the turn around and Dalton breaks his thumb.

Even with Dalton out, it appears they have the playoff game won . . BUT the other shoe drops and they Bungle it away!

2021?  Cautiously optimistic and after 30 years of egg laying and shoe dropping, so, yes, I'm cautiously optimistic. 

It won't come to pass until they make the playoffs and the playoff game clock reaches 00:00 with the Bengals at least 1 point ahead and o yellow or red flags on the field!

I still understand these thoughts even if I feel different about this team.

We have too much history to not take these things into account. Different team though this year, we can run it as long as we 
stay healthy and we can stop the run and we can make plays on Defense to turn games in our direction. This is even if the 
worst happens and Burrow goes down. We will see how we play the Chargers Sunday. One game at a time.

I am damn optimistic after this bye though and can't lie. Mellow
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2021, 08:18 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I could have said "Bullish", I guess.

Here's why:

Heading in to 2020, with COVID protocols, no preseason, and a rookie QB (that we were all very excited about), here were the people that we were relying on to help lead the team:

AJ Green was finally going to be 100% healthy.  It was widely rumored that he could have played the end of 2019, and instead of risking an injury on worthless games, he was held out to be completely healed for the 2020 season.  He was in what was essentially a contract year, getting a one-year prove-it franchise tag and a salary of $18 million.  We figured he would be out to show the world what he can still be capable of.  We also thought with Burrow that he might be even better.  Andy Dalton might have been holding him back.  

There was hope that the light might finally go on for John Ross.  

Geno Atkins was declining but now we have DJ Reader to free him up to rush the passer. This would be the best pairing the Bengals have fielded in ages.

Carlos Dunlap was still a big pass rushing threat, and he finished 2019 very strong.

The Bengals moved on from the enigmatic Dre Kirkpatrick to sign a CB to a high-dollar contract.  Trae Waynes was also thought to be a massive upgrade in tackling.  

The offensive line would be better with the free agent XSF to help shore up the interior of the offensive line.  Mike Jordan would be better in his second year in the system.  

Joe Mixon got paid.  Now, he will get played.  More involved in the passing game.  Fewer depressed sideline jogs on third down.  

Joe Burrow is coming to the Bengals fresh off the greatest single season in NCAA history.  

Of what was just listed as 2020 breakout/standout hopefuls (AJ Green, Geno, Dunlap, Waynes, and Mixon most specifically) that represented the greatest allocation of your monies as well.  And we all know how essentially every single one of them performed in 2020.

Fast forward to 2021:

Your shiny new toy at WR is coming off (with a year off) his record-setting performance in the SEC, at just 19 years of age.  Chase has had some drops, but Tee Higgins had 9 drops in 2020 and was a huge addition to the WR corps.  Chase offers a dimension that we have not had here for some time.  He will be used in screens, and sweeps, as well as threatening deep.  He represents a huge upgrade at the position and joins an already-solid WR corps. 

The offensive line has added veteran Riley Reiff to shore up the other tackle position.  Talented rookies in Smith and Carman will push for playing time at Guard position if either XSF or Spain don't perform.  Fred Johnson and Isian Prince played well in preseason and are quality backups.

The defensive line has been bolstered by adding Hendrickson, Ogunjobi, Hill, Sample, and Hodge.

The secondary added Owuzie, who appeared to be the best defensive player not named Bates in camp.  They also added Mike Hilton, weakening a division foe as well as bolstering the slot CB position not to mention his blitz abilities.  Perhaps most importantly for the secondary is the added depth that is already being tested with Apple and Allen.  If former starter Darius Phillips is now your #5 corner, that is quite an upgrade in depth.

The following players are still in their prime and will be returning following injuries that forced them to miss significant time in 2020:  

CJ Uzomah
Joe Mixon
XSF
Jonah Williams
Trey Hopkins
DJ Reader
Sam Hubbard
Trae Waynes (fingers crossed)
Josh Tupou (opt out)

There is not ONE of those additions or those returning from injury that anyone would describe as "old" or ready for a massive drop off like we saw in Dunlap and Green (and Geno, but I think his was largely due to injury).  The biggest turd in the punch bowl (Jim Turner) is gone, replaced by a guy that everyone seems to respect and appreciate.  

The biggest issues last season where depth was sorely lacking (DT, CB, Offensive line) has been MASSIVELY improved.

Oh, and just one other thing.....

One small detail...

Joe Burrow is back in his second season as QB.  The man who was showing us what he could do with an average at best offensive line and Tee Higgins and Tyler Boyd as his top weapons.  200 yards passing at the half against a WFT that gave up an average of 200 yards passing PER GAME.  He may not have quite the mobility he had last year.  That's fine, although I wouldn't count him out of being mobile just yet.  He has worked on his core, to improve his velocity.  He has worked extra all offseason to perfect the one thing really missing from last year:  The deep ball.  Covid restrictions have lessened and he has been able to work extra with his receivers and coaches.  He will have a healthy Mixon, a better line, more weapons available at both WR and TE and a second year in the system.   What are his goal for the season?  Well, two of them are to win the AFC North and to make the playoffs.  People doubted him when he said his goal was to win a National Championship at LSU.  He won.  He's back, friends, and he is ready to make some noise.

This isn't about me taking a victory lap.  This is about the very last line....I had to bump this when I heard Joe said they weren't underdogs any more and "we are here to make some noise".

I could bump the threads I started about Chase for OROTY, Burrow for CPOTY, Bengals to win AFC, etc. but I will stick to this...  Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2022, 11:21 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: This isn't about me taking a victory lap.  This is about the very last line....I had to bump this when I heard Joe said they weren't underdogs any more and "we are here to make some noise".

I could bump the threads I started about Chase for OROTY, Burrow for CPOTY, Bengals to win AFC, etc. but I will stick to this...  Hilarious

Looks like a victory lap... But it's well deserved.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2022, 11:25 AM)jason Wrote: Looks like a victory lap... But it's well deserved.

Just cool that he said the exact same thing..."make some noise".  

And I said a number of times in other posts:  "Look what Burrow did in year 2".  Wow.  To do what he has done at the NFL level coming off that injury.  It almost doesn't seem real, but he believes it and the team follows him.  
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2022, 11:30 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Just cool that he said the exact same thing..."make some noise".  

And I said a number of times in other posts:  "Look what Burrow did in year 2".  Wow.  To do what he has done at the NFL level coming off that injury.  It almost doesn't seem real, but he believes it and the team follows him.  

It's been ridiculous. Since the Denver game, and the first win against KC, I've had zero doubt that they can win every game they've played. I knew we were beating Oakland and Tennessee... Once that'd happened, the Super Bowl was a reality. Don't get me wrong; I thought we blew it when Apple dropped a sure pick 6 in OT... I was also nervous as hell for McPherson's last kick... But that was for all the marbles. Til his next big kick anyway.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
I've said it starting around midway through this year in some other threads, but this team can compete with any team if things go well.
I do think they can beat the Rams.

With that said, XSF and Waynes have not been good this year or last (XSF only obv).
Reader, Hendrickson, Awuzie, Hilton, and Hill have been great contributors though.

I firmly believe that the game is going to ride or die on the OL performance.
Donald, Floyd, and Miller are no joke.
Gonna need Hopkins' help to double Donald. He'll demolish Adeniji 1-on-1.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(02-03-2022, 11:36 AM)jason Wrote: It's been ridiculous. Since the Denver game, and the first win against KC, I've had zero doubt that they can win every game they've played. I knew we were beating Oakland and Tennessee... Once that'd happened, the Super Bowl was a reality. Don't get me wrong; I thought we blew it when Apple dropped a sure pick 6 in OT... I was also nervous as hell for McPherson's last kick... But that was for all the marbles. Til his next big kick anyway.

Yeah, my Lewis Billups PTSD kicked in when Apple dropped that.  Thank God for a huge play by Bates and Bell.  So amazing.  
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2022, 12:13 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Yeah, my Lewis Billups PTSD kicked in when Apple dropped that.  Thank God for a huge play by Bates and Bell.  So amazing.  

I was messaging with a friend during the game, and we pretty much simultaneously typed "Lewis Billups!" That dropped int really had me nervous. 

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(02-03-2022, 11:43 AM)ochocincos Wrote: I've said it starting around midway through this year in some other threads, but this team can compete with any team if things go well.
I do think they can beat the Rams.

With that said, XSF and Waynes have not been good this year or last (XSF only obv).
Reader, Hendrickson, Awuzie, Hilton, and Hill have been great contributors though.

I firmly believe that the game is going to ride or die on the OL performance.
Donald, Floyd, and Miller are no joke.
Gonna need Hopkins' help to double Donald. He'll demolish Adeniji 1-on-1.

They came out of the bye on a mission.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote