Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why didnt Zac drain the clock at end of OT
(09-12-2022, 06:36 PM)ATOTR Wrote: Kicking the FG on 3rd and 8 in OT was so bad.

You knew what was going to happen

Try and get a first down.  Score 6.  Walk off and try not to kick

I can understand the logic, it takes some pressure off the snap if he gets two goes at it. While we were moving the ball well from 2nd half onwards, it's not like we were finding it easy getting into the endzone. Struggled almightily just to tie the game.

But for us to then not even use the benefit of kicking on 3rd (that we can just fall on a bad snap).... so dumb.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 09:11 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Simmons runs the special teams. It was his job to ask Zac what to do on the punt. There was a communication error as Zac said in the presser and covered for Simmons. Disappointed Darrin hasn’t owned up. It was a mistake not challenging the Chase catch but they thought they’d better hurry up an snap in case they’d challenge the actual catch. I think Taylor deserves some scrutiny on not playing the OL some in preseason. I realize it’s risky but actually it was Williams and Volson they picked on.

I get trying to protect the team and 20+ games comes into play but you have to be ready for the opener. Joe I can see

I actually have more issue with that high snap not being downed than I do with leaving time on the clock when punting in OT.
Why kick the FG on 3rd down if you are just going to go with that awful snap anyway? Makes no sense to me.

Not damning anyone, shit happens and there is plenty of blame to go around, just unbelievable how many mistakes were made to hand that game to the Steelers. 
Reply/Quote
I say why even punt, go for it! I rather lose a game than tie, I say go for it on 4th and 16, idc.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 01:58 PM)740Bengal Wrote: He didn't build sh^%, he got Joe Burrow and Jamar Chase by being so bad.

LOL. LOL
[Image: 4540978331_3e8fe35323.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2022, 12:48 PM)Pezmerga Wrote: I actually have more issue with that high snap not being downed than I do with leaving time on the clock when punting in OT.
Why kick the FG on 3rd down if you are just going to go with that awful snap anyway? Makes no sense to me.

Not damning anyone, shit happens and there is plenty of blame to go around, just unbelievable how many mistakes were made to hand that game to the Steelers. 

Yep, you'd think with all of Huber's experience, he'd just waste that bad snap....

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2022, 12:48 PM)Pezmerga Wrote: I actually have more issue with that high snap not being downed than I do with leaving time on the clock when punting in OT.

He fielded the snap so he figured he could get it down in time.

I have no problem with that.  It is not like he had to get out of position to field the snap.
Reply/Quote
Funny reading all the couch coaches in here.....
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2022, 03:38 PM)fredtoast Wrote: He fielded the snap so he figured he could get it down in time.

I have no problem with that.  It is not like he had to get out of position to field the snap.

He may have caught it and got it down but anytime you have to reach over your head, with your arms fully extended to catch it, it's a bad snap.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2022, 04:19 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Funny reading all the couch coaches in here.....

Well this place would probably be a ghost town if we only let NFL head coaches create accounts.
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2022, 04:33 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: He may have caught it and got it down but anytime you have to reach over your head, with your arms fully extended to catch it, it's a bad snap.

I disagree.

I have seen holders grab high snaps and get them down in time for a successful FG.

I think the problem was more that the snap was "slow" instead of "high".  Nothing a holder can do about that.
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2022, 04:41 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I disagree.

I have seen holders grab high snaps and get them down in time for a successful FG.

I think the problem was more that the snap was "slow" instead of "high".  Nothing a holder can do about that.

The snap on the blocked PAT was slow. The snap on the missed OT FG was high. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2022, 04:12 PM)Wyche Wrote: Yep, you'd think with all of Huber's experience, he'd just waste that bad snap....

Huber kind of indicated that on such a short field goal, having the laces the wrong way shouldn't have impacted the kick. I originally assumed he should have downed it and tried again, since the announcers made a big deal about the laces, but I'm wondering if the blocked field goal earlier had both the holder and kicker rushing the kick.

From bengals.com:

"When the Bengals attempted Evan McPherson's 29-yard field-goal try to win it in overtime on third down, holder Kevin Huber yanked down the high snap and McPherson missed left. The idea to snap it on third down is if there's a bad snap, Huber can eat the ball and they try again."

"But if anything, Huber would have just slowed it down and not rushed it."

"I've caught so many field-goal snaps in my life, the fact that I put it down just tells me it was a ball I thought it was within reason to catch it and put it down," Huber said. "If the laces are ever not perfect, we just practice leave them there. On that short of a field goal, the laces shouldn't affect it. I probably should have been smoother on my transition."
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2022, 08:15 PM)Nepa Wrote: Huber kind of indicated that on such a short field goal, having the laces the wrong way shouldn't have impacted the kick. I originally assumed he should have downed it and tried again, since the announcers made a big deal about the laces, but I'm wondering if the blocked field goal earlier had both the holder and kicker rushing the kick.

From bengals.com:

"When the Bengals attempted Evan McPherson's 29-yard field-goal try to win it in overtime on third down, holder Kevin Huber yanked down the high snap and McPherson missed left. The idea to snap it on third down is if there's a bad snap, Huber can eat the ball and they try again."

"I've caught so many field-goal snaps in my life, the fact that I put it down just tells me it was a ball I thought it was within reason to catch it and put it down," Huber said. "If the laces are ever not perfect, we just practice leave them there. On that short of a field goal, the laces shouldn't affect it. I probably should have been smoother on my transition."

Yes. McPherson was totally off balance when he kicked it. The block may have been in his head.
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2022, 12:18 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Yes. McPherson was totally off balance when he kicked it. The block may have been in his head.

or his timing was thrown off.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2022, 08:47 PM)Wyche Wrote: But was the defense really that sluggish though? They were constantly put in bad positions because of Burrow's horrible decision making and accuracy today and they kept us in it.

I also probably wouldn't blame the whole oline, it was mostly Cordell Volson blowing up every play. He was terrible.

To me, one guy lost this game.....but everyone is due an egg to lay now and then. This particular egg was rotten to boot.

The defense did play well and yes Burrow played horrible as I said. 

Volson was the only guy who played bad on O-line ? Jonah was being pushed back all day and Collins had no answer for Watt lining up wide and just speed rushing past him at will. Maybe you missed the O-line letting the inside rusher come free on the blocked XP. Think I seen where oddly Volson had the best run blocking grade on the team too. 

Turnover battles are almost always the deciding factor but it still does not forgive all the other debacles imo. 

If the game was a blow out like it should have been with that turnover deficit then ok. But the Bengals were still in the game at the end because of the defense and yet they were not rewarded with win per debacle after debacle by the QB, Coach, ST's, and O-line. ]

Burrow should shoulder the blame but if there are not any people looking in the mirror at their bad play, we are in trouble. Not every team is as bad as the steelers and going to let us hang around playing that bad on the offensive side of the ball and ST's.

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
But personally I'm ready to put that game behind and start looking forward.

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2022, 08:15 PM)Nepa Wrote: Huber kind of indicated that on such a short field goal, having the laces the wrong way shouldn't have impacted the kick. I originally assumed he should have downed it and tried again, since the announcers made a big deal about the laces, but I'm wondering if the blocked field goal earlier had both the holder and kicker rushing the kick.

From bengals.com:

Thanks for sharing....very good insight. I initially had the same thoughts as you. It was just "one of them deals".

(09-16-2022, 10:53 AM)Go Cards Wrote: The defense did play well and yes Burrow played horrible as I said. 

Volson was the only guy who played bad on O-line ? Jonah was being pushed back all day and Collins had no answer for Watt lining up wide and just speed rushing past him at will. Maybe you missed the O-line letting the inside rusher come free on the blocked XP. Think I seen where oddly Volson had the best run blocking grade on the team too. 

Turnover battles are almost always the deciding factor but it still does not forgive all the other debacles imo. 

If the game was a blow out like it should have been with that turnover deficit then ok. But the Bengals were still in the game at the end because of the defense and yet they were not rewarded with win per debacle after debacle by the QB, Coach, ST's, and O-line. ]

Burrow should shoulder the blame but if there are not any people looking in the mirror at their bad play, we are in trouble. Not every team is as bad as the steelers and going to let us hang around playing that bad on the offensive side of the ball and ST's.

Oh no Cards, I'm not saying Cordell was the ONLY one that had a rough go, I'm saying he was the worst. That's expected for a rookie against Cam Heyward, lol. What I noticed on a couple of plays was him getting shoved into the pocket so quickly, Burrow rolled out into at least one sack where Jonah was riding Highsmith around the outside of the pocket. And yes, Jonah struggled too. So did Lael early on. I thought Karras and Cappa had solid days. And yes, Volson was decent on run plays, but he also totally whiffed on a trap block and caused it to get blown up. I can't blame the oline for the blocked kick, as the starting linemen are largely absent there. That's a special teams gaffe.

Absolutely on the last two paragraphs, plenty of foul ups from most involved with offense and STs. 

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote