Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why didnt Zac drain the clock at end of OT
(09-11-2022, 07:09 PM)bfine32 Wrote: So the reason was because we snapped the ball too early on a punt? 

If he drains the clock we tie. that 15 seconds gave them the time to get in FG range
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2022, 07:06 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: 338 yards and the game winning drive in regulation and OT. Yeah it wasn't Burrow's best game but he wasnt reason

It should never have even been that close. He was throwing absolute ducks at the start of the game. Just no velocity whatsoever. He started to look better as the game went on, but he’s definitely got to take the lion’s share of the blame for this one. I’m sure he’ll be the first one to admit it.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(09-11-2022, 07:11 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: You’re conveniently leaving out the five turnovers. I get it, I love Burrow. Dude is awesome.

He is the main reason the Bengals lost today. Any mental gymnastics attempted to get past that is just silly, especially when one of those turnovers directly went for a score.

Zac is more to blame than Burrow. 
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2022, 07:12 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: If he drains the clock we tie. that 15 seconds gave them the time to get in FG range

So you're going with "Yes"?
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(09-11-2022, 07:13 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: Zac is more to blame than Burrow. 

I damn sure hope Burrow doesn't think like you

Reply/Quote
(09-11-2022, 07:11 PM)Whatever Wrote: How was Burrow not the primary reason we lost?  He turned the ball over 5 times.  It's nearly impossible to win with that many turnovers.  The Steelers literally scored 17 of their 23 points off Burrow turnovers, including a Pick 6.  

Well if it wasn't Burrow, it had to be Volson.
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2022, 07:09 PM)bfine32 Wrote: So the reason was because we snapped the ball too early on a punt? 

That was one reason, as it turned out.  There were a good 15 seconds or so left on the play clock.  The Steelers kicked the winning field goal with 5 seconds remaining.
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2022, 07:13 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: Zac is more to blame than Burrow. 

This is absurd. Idc who you are: Belichick, Reid, Walsh, Lombardi, Brown…or whoever else you want to insert in there - it’s almost impossible to win when your QB turns the ball over half a dozen times.

Reply/Quote
(09-11-2022, 06:46 PM)BengalsLUFC Wrote: Said he didn’t want the steelers to time the snap with Wilcox struggling which is bs.

Drain the clock take the delay of game move us back 5 yards so the old man kicking it might not twat it straight in to the end zone

Wtf? How did delay go f game not enter his mind?
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(09-11-2022, 07:09 PM)Nepa Wrote: It worked in terms of the long snapper not throwing it over Huber's head or into the ground. Taylor might have had zero confidence in the long snapper, so he figured let him totally surprise the Steelers and snap it as if it were a practice snap. Put it on the defense to hold them, rather than put the Steelers in field goal range because of a bad snap. 

But, I do wonder when Taylor realized that the long snapper was so bad. Because if he realized it earlier, then they wouldn't have kicked on third down, but gone for the touchdown. Don't they have a back up long snapper practicing?  Was it only when he snapped it so bad on the field goal try that Taylor realized the problem they had with him snapping?

I completely get making it as less pressurised a snap as possible, but I just don't see what you achieve by doing it that earlier, rather than say 4 seconds early, other than asking the Steelers to go and win the game. They would be expecting a snap at the last second, so doing it 2-3 seconds early would have achieved the same thing, without giving the Steelers a great chance at taking the game away.

I'll say what I said in the game day thread... what was the contingency here? Would we have kicked for 0 points in the Super Bowl had Clark Harris been ill the night before or something? How can you possibly go into a game in the NFL, and not have a contingency for these things? I'm not expecting the Special Teams snapping to be perfect if our dedicated guy goes out, but it looked to me like we had zero plan if our Long Snapper wasn't ready to go. And that's something which can obvious happen at the drop of the hat. That's just ridiculous to me.
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2022, 07:16 PM)ElkValleyBengal Wrote: That was one reason, as it turned out.  There were a good 15 seconds or so left on the play clock.  The Steelers kicked the winning field goal with 5 seconds remaining.

As I said to the OP: You didn't like the fabric on the deck chairs on the Titanic. 

Teams play to the clock.  With 21 seconds left the Steelers were on the 45. They used 19 seconds to get to the 35. If they needed 10 yards on 6 seconds; I'm sure they would have a play

Reply/Quote
(09-11-2022, 07:20 PM)bfine32 Wrote: As I said to the OP: You didn't like the fabric on the deck chairs on the Titanic. 

Teams play to the clock.  With 21 seconds left the Steelers were on the 45. They used 19 seconds to get to the 35. If they needed 10 yards on 6 seconds; I'm sure they would have a play

He cost us 7 points in a 3 point loss. He challenges chase play that's a TD and we dont settle for a FG he drains clock steelers dont have time to get in FG range why is this so hard to comprehend?
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2022, 07:17 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: This is absurd. Idc who you are: Belichick, Reid, Walsh, Lombardi, Brown…or whoever else you want to insert in there - it’s almost impossible to win when your QB turns the ball over half a dozen times.

Agreed, but it also sure looked like the Bengals desperately needed some preseason drives to get all that first half nonsense figured out before Week 1. Zac and McVay both did the starters sit, and both of their offenses looked like rusty shit and lost to teams that got their starters prepared.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2022, 07:20 PM)bfine32 Wrote: As I said to the OP: You didn't like the fabric on the deck chairs on the Titanic. 

Pretty sure they had no timeouts, and they didn't take their first snap from the 35 till the 0:08 mark.  Those 15 extra seconds were critical.  While it was but one of many crucial blunders, it was still a crucial blunder 
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2022, 07:24 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Agreed, but it also sure looked like the Bengals desperately needed some preseason drives to get all that first half nonsense figured out before Week 1. Zac and McVay both did the starters sit, and both of their offenses looked like rusty shit and lost to teams that got their starters prepared.

Fair.

I wish he got our newly rebuilt OL some reps at the very least. Being thrown into week one cold to deal with Watt, Heyward, and Highsmith is a big ask.

Reply/Quote

I can tell you are a fan that will bend over backwards to keep Burrow’s name clear. I’m not going to beat my head against the wall, so we will have to agree to disagree.
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2022, 07:23 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: He cost us 7 points in a 3 point loss. He challenges chase play that's a TD and we dont settle for a FG he drains clock steelers dont have time to get in FG range why is this so hard to comprehend
What's so hard to comprehend that our QB turned the ball over 5 times?
We got those 7 6 points you say he cost us and he got them at the perfect time. 
If JB doesn't turn the ball over 5 times, if our Long Snapper doesn't get hurt.. we win. Not because we punted with 15 seconds left
You sound like the "rational" folks in the Game Day thread

Reply/Quote
Just let the ***** clock run out and take the delay of game. The idiot punter hit it in the endzone anyway. This loss was a Bungal loss if I ever saw one..
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2022, 07:23 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: He cost us 7 points in a 3 point loss. He challenges chase play that's a TD and we dont settle for a FG he drains clock steelers dont have time to get in FG range why is this so hard to comprehend?

Well, I don't think we can assume 7 points for a touchdown, given what we saw. :)

Regarding the lack of a challenge, there was 2:54 when the Bengals didn't challenge the play. First down on the 1 yard line. they didn't settle for a field goal.  (Which makes a lot of sense now.) They tried to score and turned the ball over. Pittsburgh had about 2 minutes when they got the ball back, near the 20-yard line after the taunting call on Chase. Pittsburgh did not try to go down and score a field goal because they had a 6-point lead. the Bengals got the ball back with only 1:36 on the clock. The Bengals then scored with 2 seconds on the clock, leaving no time for Pittsburgh to come back. Except they missed the extra point.

So, in hindsight, not challenging the play ended up allowing the Bengals to win the game with 2 seconds left -- had they had a long snapper, that is. If they challenge the play, we don't know what happens. But for sure Pittsburgh, with two minutes left, tries to get into field goal range. Like they did with 50 seconds left.
Reply/Quote
Burrow stunk today. He’ll bounce back. O line and losing Tee didn’t help. WR depth is a concern
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have. Vince Lombardi
Reply/Quote