Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 1.5 Average
Why does coaching get a pass?
Going into this game we know our offensive line is a possible liability. What did they do differently to game plan for this? After all this time we still cannot successfully run outside or a RB screen.

We are consistently pushing the ball downfield in short yardage situations. Play call designs aren’t very good as we are consistently relying on amazing throws and catches to keep drives alive. Very rarely do we have a guy catching footballs in space.

Our second to last possession was huge. 2nd and 3rd we go back to back downfield throws. A smart coach gets the 1st down and bleeds the clock. Game on the line the last drive and we leave Adeniji on an island against one of the NFL’s best pass rushers.

Defensive side….playing an immobile Mahomes we sat back in soft zone and they just hit five yard passes all game. Reid played for 1st downs. No pressure packages to speak of and linebackers defending open space with no awareness of receivers around them. Kelce left open and singled 3/4 of the game.

Ossai’s penalty was frustrating…the officiating was frustrating. But, our coaches were just terrible at situational football. Why do they always get a pass?
Reply/Quote
Offensive game plan was abhorrent. Worst of the year. Defense was slightly better, but still not good enough. They called blitz packages all night that never got home. Missed a bunch of tackles. And Burrow had a bad night. And they still win a fair game.
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2023, 01:13 AM)Stonyhands Wrote: Going into this game we know our offensive line is a possible liability. What did they do differently to game plan for this? After all this time we still cannot successfully run outside or a RB screen.

We are consistently pushing the ball downfield in short yardage situations. Play call designs aren’t very good as we are consistently relying on amazing throws and catches to keep drives alive. Very rarely do we have a guy catching footballs in space.

Our second to last possession was huge. 2nd and 3rd we go back to back downfield throws. A smart coach gets the 1st down and bleeds the clock. Game on the line the last drive and we leave Adeniji on an island against one of the NFL’s best pass rushers.

Defensive side….playing an immobile Mahomes we sat back in soft zone and they just hit five yard passes all game. Reid played for 1st downs. No pressure packages to speak of and linebackers defending open space with no awareness of receivers around them. Kelce left open and singled 3/4 of the game.

Ossai’s penalty was frustrating…the officiating was frustrating. But, our coaches were just terrible at situational football. Why do they always get a pass?

Agreed. Scratching my head at not picking up a first down when we had it 2nd and 3. Why take 2 deep shots? He did the EXACT same thing against the Bills and got bailed out on PI on a deep shot to Tee. How they leave Adeniji 1 on 1 against Chris Jones with game on the line. Really questionable things that can be fixed if they are willing to look at it.
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2023, 01:16 AM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: Offensive game plan was abhorrent. Worst of the year. Defense was slightly better, but still not good enough. They called blitz packages all night that never got home. Missed a bunch of tackles. And Burrow had a bad night. And they still win a fair game.

I’m afraid that the story of this team looking back years from now will be a talented group of players overcoming inexperienced coaching to win a ton of games but it will never be enough against other good teams with good coaches.

Last offensive play of Super Bowl…do we double Donald? Or provide any help whatsoever? Now Adeniji on an island vs Jones. Taylor and company just don’t have what it takes to make the right call at the right moment.
Terrible situational play calling.
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2023, 01:18 AM)thompson19osu Wrote: Agreed. Scratching my head at not picking up a first down when we had it 2nd and 3. Why take 2 deep shots? He did the EXACT same thing against the Bills and got bailed out on PI on a deep shot to Tee. How they leave Adeniji 1 on 1 against Chris Jones with game on the line. Really questionable things that can be fixed if they are willing to look at it.

I think people over analyze a lot after losses to blame whoever they want.

That’s said, the 2nd and 3 and 3rd and 3 both being deep shots was and is mind boggling. We needed to run a 7 minute offense at that point. Instead we are going for low percentage deep throws. Burrow shoulders some of that blame too. Pick up the first and dink and dunk down the field.
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2023, 01:13 AM)Stonyhands Wrote: Going into this game we know our offensive line is a possible liability.   What did they do differently to game plan for this?   After all this time we still cannot successfully run outside or a RB screen.  

We are consistently pushing the ball downfield in short yardage situations.   Play call designs aren’t very good as we are consistently relying on amazing throws and catches to keep drives alive.   Very rarely do we have a guy catching footballs in space.  

Our second to last possession was huge.   2nd and 3rd we go back to back downfield throws.  A smart coach gets the 1st down and bleeds the clock.  Game on the line the last drive and we leave Adeniji on an island against one of the NFL’s best pass rushers.  

Defensive side….playing an immobile Mahomes we sat back in soft zone and they just hit five yard passes all game.   Reid played for 1st downs.   No pressure packages to speak of and linebackers defending open space with no awareness of receivers around them.   Kelce left open and singled 3/4 of the game.  

Ossai’s penalty was frustrating…the officiating was frustrating.   But, our coaches were just terrible at situational football.  Why do they always get a pass?

I think it is comical that message board posters think they have any idea what the game plan is or what actual call is made.  Joe has the authority to make any change he wants and to hit any route he wants.  It is impossible for us to know what the original call was or which is receiver was the initial priority target.

Reply/Quote
Not one post like this during the ten game win streak. LMAO

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(01-30-2023, 01:16 AM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: Offensive game plan was abhorrent. Worst of the year. Defense was slightly better, but still not good enough. They called blitz packages all night that never got home. Missed a bunch of tackles. And Burrow had a bad night. And they still win a fair game.

How is this a coaching problem and not a player problem? 
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2023, 01:20 AM)Stonyhands Wrote: I’m afraid that the story of this team looking back years from now will be a talented group of players overcoming inexperienced coaching to win a ton of games but it will never be enough against other good teams with good coaches.  

Last offensive play of Super Bowl…do we double Donald?  Or provide any help whatsoever?  Now Adeniji on an island vs Jones.   Taylor and company just don’t have what it takes to make the right call at the right moment.  

This is a prime example of a comment from someone who has no idea what he is saying.  The last play of the SB was designed to to double AD.  Spain's only mission in life was to not get beat outside, Hopkins was right there for the double team.

Maybe know what you are talking about if you want any of us to think you have the tiniest bit of credibiilty? 

Reply/Quote
Man, you took the words right out of my mouth. I couldn’t understand a lot of the O play calls nor why the D wasn’t bringing constant pressure. Truly perplexing but the officiating was still some of the worst I’ve witnessed.
Reply/Quote
They shouldn't. They had guys manned up on offensive skill guys that they had no business covering. The Hilton delayed blitz and the LB delayed blitz were absolute non factors. They refused to run the ball when all they really needed to do was to move the chains. Guys like Adeniji and Hilton were obviously off and kept getting trotted out there - Adeniji with no help was egregious. All they could do was whine to the refs. ZT with with an average QB would probably be a perennial 5-8 win kind of a guy. He had to tank two years to get this close and that's just a fact. 
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2023, 01:27 AM)Wyche Wrote: Not one post like this during the ten game win streak. LMAO

some people would just rather be haters.  **** em. 
-The only bengals fan that has never set foot in Cincinnati 1-15-22
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2023, 01:35 AM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: They shouldn't. They had guys manned up on offensive skill guys that they had no business covering. The Hilton delayed blitz and the LB delayed blitz were absolute non factors. They refused to run the ball when all they really needed to do was to move the chains. Guys like Adeniji and Hilton were obviously off and kept getting trotted out there - Adeniji with no help was egregious. All they could do was whine to the refs. ZT with with an average QB would probably be a perennial 5-8 win kind of a guy. He had to tank two years to get this close and that's just a fact. 

Well, Bellichick is 79-87 without Brady, so I'm not even sure how bold of a statement this is.  As I've said all week, I'm on board with ZT being the Oates to Burrow's Hall, but if we lose Lou and Callahan it may lead to Burrow shouldering more burden.
Reply/Quote
Never.

This game was Offensive Line but theres been ugly run offensive all year.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(01-30-2023, 01:31 AM)BigRed75 Wrote: Man, you took the words right out of my mouth. I couldn’t understand a lot of the O play calls nor why the D wasn’t bringing constant pressure. Truly perplexing but the officiating was still some of the worst I’ve witnessed.

Why not blitz the best QB vs blitzes?  Thats why we dont get blitzed that much either.

Reply/Quote
(01-30-2023, 01:27 AM)Wyche Wrote: Not one post like this during the ten game win streak. LMAO

In fairness, I did. I have long been on record that Taylor is a bad playcaller and is largely carried by out-talenting opponents. I even posted multiple times that the offense has been unable to put together whole games during that winstreak and their results are nowhere near what they should be when you have a top-2 QB and best WR trio in the league. Took heat for it when things were going well, too, but stuck with my belief that he needs to stick to being HC only and give the playcalling to a real OC.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote

I mean duh....we just ended our season cmon
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2023, 01:50 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: In fairness, I did. I have long been on record that Taylor is a bad playcaller and is largely carried by out-talenting opponents. I even posted multiple times that the offense has been unable to put together whole games during that winstreak and their results are nowhere near what they should be when you have a top-2 QB and best WR trio in the league. Took heat for it when things were going well, too, but stuck with my belief that he needs to stick to being HC only and give the playcalling to a real OC.

It's not play calls. It's the offense as a whole which is so much worse... The rush offense is a major issue.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(01-30-2023, 01:20 AM)Stonyhands Wrote: I’m afraid that the story of this team looking back years from now will be a talented group of players overcoming inexperienced coaching to win a ton of games but it will never be enough against other good teams with good coaches.  

Last offensive play of Super Bowl…do we double Donald?  Or provide any help whatsoever?  Now Adeniji on an island vs Jones.   Taylor and company just don’t have what it takes to make the right call at the right moment.  

Sounds like Oklahoma City Thunder before they all split and individually won MVPs.
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2023, 01:27 AM)WychesWarrior Wrote: Not one post like this during the ten game win streak. LMAO

The game plan was garbage. The defense gave up 300+ yards to a mostly immobile Mahomes offense that was down to 3 healthy receivers.

The offense was garbage. The offensive play calling was garbage. The situational play calling was garbage. If Burrow is calling long throws on 2nd and 3 and 3rd and 3….that’s on the coach. If the OC is calling that it is on the coach. The lack of any help for Adeniji on Jones was a terrible coaching decision.

How can you argue any of this?
Reply/Quote