Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why is the Muslim religion a "religion of peace"?
(10-25-2015, 12:29 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: It's nationalism just as we saw in Europe. The difference is that Europeans were allowed to create their own borders that respected ethnicities. These Middle Eastern areas, though, had groups forced together. When religion is the only thing you have in common, it is going to be the driving force of your nationalism. 

I agree with you here. Sykes-Picot was a big failure there.... Along with many other things.

Iraq shouldn't exist, it should be 3 different countries
(10-25-2015, 12:49 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: It's a uterus, not a clown car. 

Well at least we know she puts out .... Ninja
(10-25-2015, 04:13 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: I agree with you here.   Sykes-Picot was a big failure there....  Along with many other things.  

Iraq shouldn't exist, it should be 3 different countries

So the British did mess up in some places?
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(10-25-2015, 05:44 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: So the British did mess up in some places?

I have said they were not perfect. But they were mostly right. Even knowing what I know now. I wouldn't want to be under anyone else's colonial control.
(10-25-2015, 06:08 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: I have said they were not perfect.   But they were mostly right.   Even knowing what I know now.   I wouldn't want to be under anyone else's colonial control.

So Canada and Australia make up for India/Pakistan/Bangladesh, Sudan, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Burma/Myanmar... I can continue if you want.

I didn't include the US since it should be viewed as 13 individual colonies with varying British intervention, though even the United States had it share of violence and issues prior to becoming an economic powerhouse. That and the bulk of atrocities committed against Native Americans came during US rule.

(10-25-2015, 07:25 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: So Canada and Australia make up for India/Pakistan/Bangladesh, Sudan, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Burma/Myanmar... I can continue if you want.

I didn't include the US since it should be viewed as 13 individual colonies with varying British intervention, though even the United States had it share of violence and issues prior to becoming an economic powerhouse. That and the bulk of atrocities committed against Native Americans came during US rule.

South Africa is doing quite well actually compared to the the Spanish colonies of Central America.

Sudan has gotten worse without the Brits.

Success of north amercia and Australia and their impacts on the global economy far outweigh any failures where it got worse when the Brits left.
(10-25-2015, 08:35 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: South Africa is doing quite well actually compared to the the Spanish colonies of Central America.  

After it recovered from the apartheid that was a result of British rule. 

Quote:Sudan has gotten worse without the Brits.  

Because they forced the North and South to unite and then left the Northern elite in charge of the South. Fortunately it only took two civil wars to get them to break apart. 

Quote:Success of north amercia and Australia and their impacts on the global economy far outweigh any failures where it got worse when the Brits left.

I'm not sure if you can give British colonization credit for US industrialization and their subsequent economic boom. Maybe you can argue that the British and other Europeans decimating themselves in two World Wars opened up the door for the US to become THE world power...

(10-25-2015, 09:08 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: After it recovered from the apartheid that was a result of British rule. 

Because they forced the North and South to unite and then left the Northern elite in charge of the South. Fortunately it only took two civil wars to get them to break apart. 

I'm not sure if you can give British colonization credit for US industrialization and their subsequent economic boom. Maybe you can argue that the British and other Europeans decimating themselves in two World Wars opened up the door for the US to become THE world power...

If you are going to slam the Brits for Some places then you have to credit them where the finished product exceeded expectations.  

They were great people.   Flawed, but who isn't..... Proud of where we came from.   After all it was their foresight to develop the world.   Without the British influence there would be no Dominate North amercia.

Not saying you need to love them. But we should all respect our connections to them.
(10-26-2015, 12:11 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: If you are going to slam the Brits for Some places then you have to credit them where the finished product exceeded expectations.  

They were great people.   Flawed, but who isn't..... Proud of where we came from.   After all it was their foresight to develop the world.   Without the British influence there would be no Dominate North amercia.

Not saying you need to love them.   But we should all respect our connections to them.

I did give them credit for the areas in which they killed the native populations. That doesn't mean I cannot bring up the flaws of colonialism to explain why many places have issues.

(10-26-2015, 08:38 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: I did give them credit for the areas in which they killed the native populations. That doesn't mean I cannot bring up the flaws of colonialism to explain why many places have issues.

Sometimes it's the actual groups of people who are the problem. You can not pass off their failures because that one time the the Brits had a colony there.
(10-26-2015, 02:22 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Sometimes it's the actual groups of people who are the problem.   You can not pass off their failures because that one time the the Brits had a colony there.

*cough*..... Rhodesia (aka: Zimbabwe).....*cough*

Ninja
(10-26-2015, 03:54 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: *cough*..... Rhodesia (aka: Zimbabwe).....*cough*

Ninja

Never said they were perfect. Just said they were much more successful than the Spanish or any other colony projects.
(10-26-2015, 04:40 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Never said they were perfect.   Just said they were much more successful than the Spanish or any other colony projects.

Right... but the cats running things now are way worse.
They wasted the entire infrastructure that the British set up. 

So, while the suggestion struck against one of your previous statements, It now supports another. 
(10-26-2015, 05:01 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: Right... but the cats running things now are way worse.
They wasted the entire infrastructure that the British set up. 

So, while the suggestion struck against one of your previous statements, It now supports another. 

I know. But there are a few Anti colony people who do not realize how beneficial it was
(10-26-2015, 02:22 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Sometimes it's the actual groups of people who are the problem.   You can not pass off their failures because that one time the the Brits had a colony there.

Yes, it's the fact that there are groups of people forced into a boundary together who have never gotten along. It's like if the Ottoman Empire colonized Germany and France and forced them into one country. 

If you refuse to let people govern themselves and then decades later decide to leave a region and give a group of people power over another group of people, you will have issues. 

(10-26-2015, 07:47 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Yes, it's the fact that there are groups of people forced into a boundary together who have never gotten along. It's like if the Ottoman Empire colonized Germany and France and forced them into one country. 

If you refuse to let people govern themselves and then decades later decide to leave a region and give a group of people power over another group of people, you will have issues. 

North Africa and the Mid East are the only places on the globe where boundaries are formed by straight lines...  I guess there is one between Alaska and Canada too.  At any rate the implication is that those borders aren't natural.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
(10-26-2015, 08:13 PM)jason Wrote: North Africa and the Mid East are the only places on the globe where boundaries are formed by straight lines...  I guess there is one between Alaska and Canada too.  At any rate the implication is that those borders aren't natural.

Correct, the point I have been making is that these man made borders cause issues. 

(10-26-2015, 05:27 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: I know.   But there are a few Anti colony people who do not realize how beneficial it was

Sorry about the font and bold.
My phone had been acting goofy and done it on it's own.
It didn't look that big on the phone, or I would have not posted it.
I'm going to crush that thing, I swear.
:angry: