Poll: Why not keep Andy
I'm concerned about Mike Brown's savings
Mike will use the saved money to invest in the oline
We'll get a pick in the first 3 rounds
We owe it to Andy
Andy will be made if we don't
Other (splain yoself)
[Show Results]

Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 2.71 Average
Why not keep Andy as a backup?
(04-25-2020, 08:58 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Doesn’t mean we won’t cut him.

Which does absolutely nothing to make the Bengals better. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2020, 09:03 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Which does absolutely nothing to make the Bengals better. 

Except giving us money to pay our Draft picks and maybe adding another player or two to make the team better. Mellow
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2020, 09:09 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Except giving us money to pay our Draft picks and maybe adding another player or two to make the team better. Mellow

Brilliant. If we don't cut Andy we'll never be able to sign our draft picks. 

We've got plenty of players to make the team better including a great QB to bring Burrow along who has already called him and welcomed him to Cincy. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(04-25-2020, 09:13 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Brilliant. If we don't cut Andy we'll never be able to sign our draft picks. 

We've got plenty of players to make the team better including a great QB to bring Burrow along who has already called him and welcomed him to Cincy. 

17 mil for a back up QB is not smart Bfine, get it through your head man.

It is more than fine with me if we restructure Andy's contract to what is more appropriate, backup money.

Then we can keep him. You don't get what I am saying here?
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2020, 09:03 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Which does absolutely nothing to make the Bengals better. 

It’s about the Cap. Signing all the FA’s we did made the team better. And will certainly have a bigger impact than a backup QB.

Reply/Quote
They could cut Hart + Shaun Williams which would save 7 million dollars and give us 14 Million in cap space. I think they trade him to Jacksonville or New England. Which gives us around 24 million in cap space. Although I don't think they will release him.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2020, 09:49 PM)J24 Wrote: They could cut Hart + Shaun Williams which would save 7 million dollars and give us 14 Million in cap space. I think they trade him to Jacksonville or New England. Which gives us around 24 million in cap space. Although I don't think they will release him.

Who’s playing RT in this scenario? Fred Johnson has played in 2 games for us. I hope he does beat out Hart, but you can’t count on it. What happens if Jonah has a setback?

This seems like a lot unnecessary effort for a backup QB.

Reply/Quote
If the Bengals could hold on to Dalton and get a decent draft pick out of trade, I would go that route. If Dalton is the backup going in to the season you know at some point one of the other teams is going to lose their QB to injury and I would think Dalton would be an attractive option for many teams at that point.
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2020, 09:53 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Who’s playing RT in this scenario? Fred Johnson has played in 2 games for us. I hope he does beat out Hart, but you can’t count on it. What happens if Jonah has a setback?

This seems like a lot unnecessary effort for a backup QB.
What if Burrow gets hurt is anyone confident that Finley or Doega can help this team win? Dalton would easily be the best backup QB in the NFL if he isn't traded. Also with Burrow cap number being low does Dalton's contract really hurt us.
Although I think it will be a mute point because he will get traded.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2020, 08:57 PM)treee Wrote: It would be smart to get a more affordable vet QB behind Burrow, but it would be a classic MB move to keep Dalton on the roster to get the team closer to the cap minimum for the year.

Minimum?  We're practically at the maximum.  
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(01-19-2020, 09:21 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: I think it’s best for all involved if we separate. That said I’m not cutting him for nothing. If another team wants him they can give up a 2nd or at minimum a 3rd or we can keep him for a starter until Burrow is ready and get a 3rd comp next season

Burrow is ready.  They didn't take him first to have him watch.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
(01-19-2020, 10:05 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Crazy idea here, but maybe Zac, Brian and Alex could give Joe some insight into the offensive system and players.  

In addition, perhaps a veteran like Matt Moore, who knows and has played for Zac, has been around forever and has seen a lot, might be able to help Joe out just a little...wouldn't you say?

And he also wouldn't be walking around with the stigma of being the demoted former starter which would be bad for everybody all the way around.

Reply/Quote
(04-25-2020, 10:35 PM)J24 Wrote: What if Burrow gets hurt is anyone confident that Finley or Doega can help this team win? Dalton would easily be the best backup QB in the NFL if he isn't traded. Also with Burrow cap number being low does Dalton's contract really hurt us.
Although I think it will be a mute point because he will get traded.

Yes, Dalton’s cap hit hurts us. We literally can’t afford to keep him at 17m.

Reply/Quote
(04-25-2020, 09:57 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: If the Bengals could hold on to Dalton and get a decent draft pick out of trade, I would go that route.   If Dalton is the backup going in to the season you know at some point one of the other teams is going to lose their QB to injury and I would think Dalton would be an attractive option for many teams at that point.

Keeping him as your backup means you wouldn't be able to trade him because then your backup would be some guy on your PS.

Reply/Quote
(04-25-2020, 10:47 PM)McC Wrote: Keeping him as your backup means you wouldn't be able to trade him because then your backup would be some guy on your PS.

The majority of NFL teams keep 3 QBs on their rosters.  The Bengals could keep 3, just as they did last year.  Even if they dont keep 3, the QB(s) on the practice squad would be Finley/Dolegala, the same ones that would be the backup anyway. Could either one of those two get poached off the practice squad? Possibly which is why both were on the 53 man roster with Dalton last year.
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2020, 11:39 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: The majority of NFL teams keep 3 QBs on their rosters.  The Bengals could keep 3.  Even if they dont keep 3, the QB(s) on the practice squad would be Finley/Dolegala, the same ones that would be the backup anyway.

Right.  The third is a developmental guy on the PS.  If you trade your backup during the season, now all you have is the guy on your PS.

You have to cut AD soon, because the trade ain't coming.  Then you sign a veteran backup for a helluva lot less than 17.7 mil.

Reply/Quote
(04-25-2020, 10:47 PM)McC Wrote: Keeping him as your backup means you wouldn't be able to trade him because then your backup would be some guy on your PS.

We kept 3 QB's active in 2019
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2020, 11:54 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: We kept 3 QB's active in 2019

Okay.  So we kept the PS guy on the active roster.  But guess what?  Dalton still has to go.  For his sake and for the Bengals.

Reply/Quote
(04-26-2020, 12:18 AM)McC Wrote: Okay.  So we kept the PS guy on the active roster.  But guess what?  Dalton still has to go.  For his sake and for the Bengals.

When did they hire you as the GM?

I know AD makes a lot of money, but everyone is assuming Burrow can beat AD out in a true competition. I am not so sure he can right now. But, cut AD you still need to spend 7 or 8 million on his back up because the stable is empty after Burrow and Dalton right now.

I would cut Gio long before I cut AD to name 1 player to get some cap relief. But, I believe BB is playing chicken also and AD is his pick to start in 2020 for Pats, but he wants him free or no draft picks.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2020, 11:47 PM)McC Wrote: Right.  The third is a developmental guy on the PS.  If you trade your backup during the season, now all you have is the guy on your PS...

That's not accurate.  The Bengals carried 3 QBs on the 53 man roster last year.   None of them were on the practice squad.
Reply/Quote