Poll: Why not keep Andy
I'm concerned about Mike Brown's savings
Mike will use the saved money to invest in the oline
We'll get a pick in the first 3 rounds
We owe it to Andy
Andy will be made if we don't
Other (splain yoself)
[Show Results]

Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 2.71 Average
Why not keep Andy as a backup?
(04-26-2020, 12:33 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: When did they hire you as the GM?

I know AD makes a lot of money, but everyone is assuming Burrow can beat AD out in a true competition. I am not so sure he can right now. But, cut AD you still need to spend 7 or 8 million on his back up because the stable is empty after Burrow and Dalton right now.

I would cut Gio long before I cut AD to name 1 player to get some cap relief. But, I believe BB is playing chicken also and AD is his pick to start in 2020 for Pats, but he wants him free or no draft picks.

[Image: 19znwe.jpg]
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(04-26-2020, 12:33 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: When did they hire you as the GM?

I know AD makes a lot of money, but everyone is assuming Burrow can beat AD out in a true competition. I am not so sure he can right now. But, cut AD you still need to spend 7 or 8 million on his back up because the stable is empty after Burrow and Dalton right now.

I would cut Gio long before I cut AD to name 1 player to get some cap relief. But, I believe BB is playing chicken also and AD is his pick to start in 2020 for Pats, but he wants him free or no draft picks.

Why are you even talking about a competition?  There won't be one.  Because Andy will be somewhere else. 

Belichick wants the guy who threw interceptions on three straight passes against him the last time the teams played?  He's gonna go from Brady to Dalton?  Get real.  This whole Dalton to NE things was invented in Peter King's head and was probably no more than a cruel joke and jumped all over by Bengal fans.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(04-26-2020, 12:44 AM)McC Wrote: Why are you even talking about a competition?  There won't be one.  Because Andy will be somewhere else. 

Belichick wants the guy who threw interceptions on three straight passes against him the last time the teams played?  He's gonna go from Brady to Dalton?  Get real.  This whole Dalton to NE things was invented in Peter King's head and was probably no more than a cruel joke and jumped all over by Bengal fans.
BB is a smart guy. He plays Stidham and they lose the East for the first time in a very long time and no playoffs as well

But, I am no Pats fan so I hope they go 0-16 and stay with  a mediocre unproven QB

As for competition listen to Zac's press conference and Burrow press conference as well, Zac told him he would have to win the job at camp. Burrow said, yes , I know so sounded to me like Dalton may not be going anywhere.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2020, 12:47 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: BB is a smart guy. He plays Stidham and they lose the East for the first time in a very long time and no playoffs as well

But, I am no Pats fan so I hope they go 0-16 and stay with  a mediocre unproven QB

Maybe he's not mediocre.  And Bill wins with every QB.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
(04-26-2020, 12:48 AM)McC Wrote: Maybe he's not mediocre.  And Bill wins with every QB.

I watched him in college, he is Finley #2

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2020, 12:48 AM)McC Wrote: Maybe he's not mediocre.  And Bill wins with every QB.

So then could Bill win a championship with Dalton?
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2020, 12:51 AM)007BengalsFan Wrote: So then could Bill win a championship with Dalton?

Exactly

Reply/Quote
(04-26-2020, 12:51 AM)007BengalsFan Wrote: So then could Bill win a championship with Dalton?

No.  Because he would never have AD as his QB.  Haven't I already said this?

Reply/Quote
My guess is Belichick doesn’t like Love/Hurts/Eason/Fromm, and can’t afford, or doesn’t want, Dalton/Cam/Winston. He probably rolls with Stidham this season, and either sees he has a potential franchise QB, or he’ll go for one of the better QB prospects next year. The Andy Dalton led Pats are not beating KC or BAL in the playoffs anyway.

Reply/Quote
(04-25-2020, 10:37 PM)McC Wrote: Minimum?  We're practically at the maximum.  

I made that post before the offseason even kicked off. C'mon man.
Reply/Quote
Folks have come up with 1,000 reasons to part ways with Andy and each has been proven to be false as will the latest "they cannot afford him".

It's been:
We'll get a 1st or 2nd for Andy
Ok, we can still get a mid-rounder
Well, maybe someone will throw us a late rounder

Then there's been:
Andy will be a malcontent
Then Andy does an interview asserting he'll accept the mentor role
Then Andy is the first to welcome Burrow once we draft him

Now it's
We cannot afford him
We can easily afford him by cutting Hart and Williams
and then comes the best yet....We need Bobby Hart

FA is done but the scraps and the draft is complete. Cutting Andy Dalton makes this team worse. It's really quite simple.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(04-26-2020, 12:58 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: My guess is Belichick doesn’t like Love/Hurts/Eason/Fromm, and can’t afford, or doesn’t want, Dalton/Cam/Winston. He probably rolls with Stidham this season, and either sees he has a potential franchise QB, or he’ll go for one of the better QB prospects next year. The Andy Dalton led Pats are not beating KC or BAL in the playoffs anyway.

My guess is he throws Indy a little something for Brissett
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(04-26-2020, 11:34 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Folks have come up with 1,000 reasons to part ways with Andy and each has been proven to be false as will the latest "they cannot afford him".

It's been:

Then there's been:

Now it's
We cannot afford him

FA is done but the scraps and the draft is complete. Cutting Andy Dalton makes this team worse. It's really quite simple.

The stupidity of paying a BACKUP QB eighteen ***** million would cast a pall over the whole season.  Andy Dalton is not staying.  Deal with it.

Reply/Quote
(04-26-2020, 12:58 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: My guess is Belichick doesn’t like Love/Hurts/Eason/Fromm, and can’t afford, or doesn’t want, Dalton/Cam/Winston. He probably rolls with Stidham this season, and either sees he has a potential franchise QB, or he’ll go for one of the better QB prospects next year. The Andy Dalton led Pats are not beating KC or BAL in the playoffs anyway.

Ryan Tannehill just got done beating Baltimore and getting KC fans to melt down prior to that comeback, so I wouldn't be so sure the AFC is completely locked up.  With that being said, I still can't grasp NE rolling with Stidham and Winston is going to the Saints (not that they'd want him), so Dalton getting cut and then going to NE and having a Palmer in AZ-style resurgence of semi-relevance could be plausible.

If/when Dalton gets cut they'd be nuts to not at least kick his tires, or some such. But I could see Dalton just clipboarding it this season behind Burrow.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2020, 11:50 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Ryan Tannehill just got done beating Baltimore and getting KC fans to melt down prior to that comeback, so I wouldn't be so sure the AFC is completely locked up.  With that being said, I still can't grasp NE rolling with Stidham and Winston is going to the Saints (not that they'd want him), so Dalton getting cut and then going to NE and having a Palmer in AZ-style resurgence of semi-relevance could be plausible.

If/when Dalton gets cut they'd be nuts to not at least kick his tires, or some such.

What exactly would draw BB to AD?  Would it be the way Andy dazzles in the playoffs?  Or maybe it's the prime time brilliance, since NE plays so many prime time games.

Reply/Quote
Best case scenario is Dalton takes a pay cut and stays on as backup. That way we won't totally go in the crapper if Burrow gets hurt. Do I think this will happen, probably not.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2020, 12:47 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: As for competition listen to Zac's press conference and Burrow press conference as well, Zac told him he would have to win the job at camp. Burrow said, yes , I know so sounded to me like Dalton may not be going anywhere.

He's most likely competing with Finley and Dolegaga….  Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2020, 11:34 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Folks have come up with 1,000 reasons to part ways with Andy and each has been proven to be false as will the latest "they cannot afford him".

It's been:

Then there's been:

Now it's
We cannot afford him

I really don’t know why you’re digging your heels in so much on this. Your prediction about keeping Dalton came before we had our biggest FA in franchise history (and 3rd most in the league this year). We spent like 150m dollars fixing our defense. We literally can’t afford a 17m dollar backup QB. Cutting much more valuable players like Hart or Shawn Williams to make room for a guy to hold a tablet would be insane.

Reply/Quote
(04-26-2020, 11:53 AM)McC Wrote: What exactly would draw BB to AD?  Would it be the way Andy dazzles in the playoffs?  Or maybe it's the prime time brilliance, since NE plays so many prime time games.

BB put Stidham in for mop up duty once and he almost immediately threw a pick 6 and had to be benched so Brady could come off the bench and not blow the game.  Andy Dalton has a winning record across nearly 140 games.

I'm under no illusions that Dalton is great, but I don't think NE is going to say they're rolling with Stidham unless someone like Aaron Rodgers comes their way.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2020, 11:53 AM)McC Wrote: What exactly would draw BB to AD?  Would it be the way Andy dazzles in the playoffs?  Or maybe it's the prime time brilliance, since NE plays so many prime time games.

We need a great backup QB in 2020 if we want to be safe in case Burrow is not ready or gets hurt.

Call me crazy (I love Burrow), but I see AD competing and winning starting job week 1 in 2020. AD has proven, give him weapons and he can be very good.

AJ
Boyd
Higgins
Ross
Tate
Mixon

Other than TE, great group and an improved OL with Jonah and Hart improvement + swing OT Johnson.

BB may never get his chance in 2020 to get Dalton.

Reply/Quote