Poll: Why not keep Andy
I'm concerned about Mike Brown's savings
Mike will use the saved money to invest in the oline
We'll get a pick in the first 3 rounds
We owe it to Andy
Andy will be made if we don't
Other (splain yoself)
[Show Results]

Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 2.71 Average
Why not keep Andy as a backup?
(01-21-2020, 04:00 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Not really. Not when it comes to the 1st round of the draft, anyways. The closest thing to a "shocking" 1st round draft pick in the last few years was the John Ross pick but even then many pundits had us drafting him.

While I won't be surprised to see Dalton still on the roster come training camp in July 2020, I'd be VERY surprised if Joe Burrow is not also there. Barring a major injury to him between now and the draft, Burrow will be drafted by the Bengals. 

I don't know why people are worried about what the Bengals are going to do. There's nothing in the history of the Bengals to suggest that they are going to trade the pick or pick someone other than Burrow at #1OA.

Picks like Ross and Sample are enough to incite doubt and the organization is well known for keeping employees well beyond their expiration dates.
I think Burrow is a no-brainer pick just like a lot of other fans but I won't be blindsided if they have a Bengal moment and go in a different direction. They have earned my distrust.
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2020, 06:57 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: just cause mike is the reason we havent won in peoples opinion doesnt mean he doesnt want to win...

We have had some pretty good squads a few years here and there and they failed to produce playoff wins but had the talent..  that is not on mike  (unless your then blaming mike for the players not executing and the coaches not putting out their best.)

Well, I know if I really wanted to win I would delve into FA much more to get proven players instead of relying on the Draft 
which is a crapshoot. It is a recipe for disaster to not get proven players that could get you over the hump and maybe bring a
Playoff win or more.
Reply/Quote
There's no way we pay 18 million for a backup. On top of that Dalton is not getting traded. We will get nothing for him. Flacco had a similar age, salary, and regular season numbers compared with Dalton when he was traded; He was significantly better than Dalton in the playoffs with an 88 qb rating and Superbowl win, as opposed to Dalton's 58 qb rating and four straight playoff losses, and he got traded for a 4th rounder.

Dalton, coming of his worst season in the nfl where he finished last among starting qb's in qb rating at 78, will get absolutely zero in the trade market. I know some fans like to live in a fantasy world where Dalton gets the Bengals a third rounder, but that is not happening. We let him go and start Burrow.
If I win the lottery I'll spend half the money on alcohol, gambling and wild women. The other half I'll waste. 
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2020, 05:04 PM)HuDey Wrote: Picks like Ross and Sample are enough to incite doubt and the organization is well known for keeping employees well beyond their expiration dates.
I think Burrow is a no-brainer pick just like a lot of other fans but I won't be blindsided if they have a Bengal moment and go in a different direction. They have earned my distrust.

John Ross was a horrible 1st round pick.He will never be a pro-bowler,he drops a ton of perfect passes and he cannot outrun anybody.What a waste of a pick.I would trade him out of the division,like to seattle for a third or one of their linebackers.Draft a Michael Thomas like guy in this draft and dump Ross.At best he was a third rounder,Mr. Duke Tobin. Really.I can do a much better job of drafting than Duke.
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2020, 05:49 PM)wolverine515151 Wrote: There's no way we pay 18 million for a backup.  On top of that Dalton is not getting traded. We will get nothing for him. Flacco had a  similar age, salary, and regular season numbers compared with Dalton when he was traded; He was significantly better than Dalton in the playoffs with an 88 qb rating and Superbowl win, as opposed to Dalton's 58 qb rating and four straight playoff losses, and he got traded for a 4th rounder.

Dalton, coming of his worst season in the nfl where he finished last among starting qb's in qb rating at 78,  will get absolutely zero in the trade market. I know some fans like to live in a fantasy world where Dalton gets the Bengals a third rounder, but that is not happening. We let him go and start Burrow.

Flacco had been much worse than Dalton for a long time before getting traded for a 4th round pick.  Over his 4 previous seasons ('15-'18) Flacco had an 82.7 rating that ranked 29th out of 30 QBs with at least 1000 attempts.  Plus Dalton will be 2 years younger than Flacco was when he was traded.

Dalton is worth a third rounder.  Teams know that Dalton's problems last year were not due to age or injury.
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2020, 06:02 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Flacco had been much worse than Dalton for a long time before getting traded for a 4th round pick.  Over his 4 previous seasons ('15-'18) Flacco had an 82.7 rating that ranked 29th out of 30 QBs with at least 1000 attempts.  Plus Dalton will be 2 years younger than Flacco was when he was traded.

Dalton is worth a third rounder.  Teams know that Dalton's problems last year were not due to age or injury.

Agree with Fred here, plus the Patriots will be extremely desperate with no Brady. I could even see a late 2nd round pick from them.
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2020, 03:54 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: If we can't agree that he is a loser can we agree that when it comes to advancing in the playoffs he isn't a winner? With all his records he is nine games over .500 for his career. He is 0-4 in the years he went to the playoffs. Either you are winner or you aren't. Some people's definition of being a winner or loser are different and I can see how you see him as not being a loser but I can't see any way you could ever call him a winner. WE deserve a winner.

You speak as if you're not aware of what organization Dalton played for.

Not winning a playoff game is a common occurrence for people associated with the Bengals.

Dalton = 0-4 in the playoffs
Palmer/Kitna/McCarron = 0-3 in the playoffs
Marvin Lewis = 0-7 in the playoffs
Mike Brown = captained a 30 year streak without a playoff win

Yet 90% of the playoff talk on here centers around Dalton, as if it's all his fault.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2020, 06:02 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Flacco had been much worse than Dalton for a long time before getting traded for a 4th round pick.  Over his 4 previous seasons ('15-'18) Flacco had an 82.7 rating that ranked 29th out of 30 QBs with at least 1000 attempts.  Plus Dalton will be 2 years younger than Flacco was when he was traded.

Dalton is one year younger than Flacco was, not two years, that's why I said similar age and not exact age, and Flacco was a lot better in the playoffs.  We get nothing for Dalton.
If I win the lottery I'll spend half the money on alcohol, gambling and wild women. The other half I'll waste. 
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2020, 06:24 PM)wolverine515151 Wrote: Dalton is one year younger than Flacco was, not two years, that's why I said similar age and not exact age, and Flacco was a lot better in the playoffs.  We get nothing for Dalton.

Dalton is 32 and will not turn 33 until the middle of next season.  Flacco was 34 when he was traded.

And Flacco had not even made the playoffs in 4 years when he was traded.

But facts don't matter much to the Dalton haters.
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2020, 06:29 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Dalton is 32 and will not turn 33 until the middle of next season.  Flacco was 34 when he was traded.

And Flacco had not even made the playoffs in 4 years when he was traded.

But facts don't matter much to the Dalton haters.

Dalton will turn 33 during the season so he is considered a 33 year old next season, while Flacco played his first season for the Broncos as a 34 year old. That is a one year difference. You can distort the facts all you want but those are facts.  We'll see what happens in the off season. 

Nobody is a Dalton hater, I'm just being factual with the information and your interpreting that as a hater because of your fascination with Dalton and outright allegiance to him. Don't construe facts with hating because they are two different things. 

Who cares if Flacco hasn't made the playoffs in 4 years. All that matters is that when Flacco did make the playoffs he was successful and Dalton was Ryan Leaf.
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2020, 06:24 PM)wolverine515151 Wrote: Dalton is one year younger than Flacco was, not two years, that's why I said similar age and not exact age, and Flacco was a lot better in the playoffs.  We get nothing for Dalton.

We will get something for him, probably a mid round pick.

Dalton can be a starter somewhere and most likely in New England where Billy B could get the most out of him.
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2020, 06:34 PM)wolverine515151 Wrote: Dalton will turn 33 during the season so he is considered a 33 year old next season, while Flacco played his first season for the Broncos as a 34 year old. That is a one year difference. You can distort the facts all you want but those are facts.  We'll see what happens in the off season. 

I listed their actual ages.  Dalton is 32.  Flacco was 34.  You are the one spinning like cray.

Dalton is just 2.5 months short of being 3 full years younger than Flacco.  Your make believe claim that everyone whose birthday falls in the same season is the same age is just silly.  21.5 months is a hell of a lot closer to 2 years than one.
Reply/Quote

I think if they traded him before the trade deadline he would've garnered a 3rd and possibly a later pick.

The ones who might've been interested would now just wait to see if he's cut.

It's because of the fact that most people on the planet think they'll draft Burrow and that hurts his trade value worth.

Of course his resume and current playing abilities will be weighed in to his worth but it's not the full reason.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2020, 06:53 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I listed their actual ages.  Dalton is 32.  Flacco was 34.  You are the one spinning like cray.

Dalton is just 2.5 months short of being 3 full years younger than Flacco.  Your make believe claim that everyone whose birthday falls in the same season is the same age is just silly.  21.5 months is a hell of a lot closer to 2 years than one.

What matters is when the season starts Dalton will be considered a 33 year old, and Flacco was a 34 year old when he started his first year with the Broncos. 

Now in your world you may consider a one year age difference as not being similar in age,  but to most sane people that is considered a similar age. 

In your world, maybe someone has to differ in age by less than a few months to qualify as similar in age.  That is not how a sane individual would use the word similar when comparing ages. 

Like  I said,  I used the word similar and not same, specifically because I knew there was a minor difference in age,  and yet you want to sit here and belabor the point that it is not similar in age. Go argue with yourself about useless details and semantically nonsense arguments. 
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2020, 07:00 PM)wolverine515151 Wrote: What matters is when the season starts Dalton will be considered a 33 year old next season, and Flacco was a 34 year old when he started his first year with the Broncos. 

No.  When the season starts does not change a person's age. That is just ridiculous.

You are arguing that a 34 year old is not 2 years older than a 32 year old.  You are also claiming that 21.5 months is just one year instead of two.

Like I said.  Facts don't matter to the Dalton haters.

And this is probably the silliest argument I have gotten into in quite a while.
Reply/Quote
Just to settle this Dalton/Flacco age debate:

- Flacco was 34 years, 238 days old at the start of last season
- Dalton will be 32 years, 317 days old at the start of next season (September 10th)

Dalton will be much closer to 2 years younger than 1 year younger. Not that we're splitting hairs or anything. Mellow
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2020, 07:06 PM)fredtoast Wrote: No.  When the season starts does not change a person's age. That is just ridiculous.

You are arguing that a 34 year old is not 2 years older than a 32 year old.  You are also claiming that 21.5 months is just one year instead of two.

Like I said.  Facts don't matter to the Dalton haters.

And this is probably the silliest argument I have gotten into in quite a while.

Profootball reference will list Dalton as a 33 year old next season and listed Flacco as a 34 year old when he started last season.  

If Dalton doesn't get traded soon after the season, then he probably signs somewhere in the summer, say Aug, where he'll be 32 years and 10 months old.

Flacco was 34 years and 1 month when he was traded. That's a difference of one year and 3 months, so it is closer to one year than two years.  It all depends when he gets signed. 

That's why I use the easiest method , which is what their age is considered, by someone like pro football reference, during the season. 

The main argument isn't whether Dalton is one or two year younger than Flacco, I consider it one year because of what their ages are during the season, it's whether the word similar can be used to describe someone around one to two years younger;  and by saying that whether it qualifies as being a hater.

I used the word similar not exact . You don't even understand the argument.  
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2020, 06:23 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: You speak as if you're not aware of what organization Dalton played for.

Not winning a playoff game is a common occurrence for people associated with the Bengals.

Dalton = 0-4 in the playoffs
Palmer/Kitna/McCarron = 0-3 in the playoffs
Marvin Lewis = 0-7 in the playoffs
Mike Brown = captained a 30 year streak without a playoff win

Yet 90% of the playoff talk on here centers around Dalton, as if it's all his fault.

Winners change the culture not perpetuate it. I glad you admit he is not a winner.
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2020, 06:53 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I listed their actual ages.  Dalton is 32.  Flacco was 34.  You are the one spinning like cray.

OK Flacco is two years older with a ring and Dalton is two years younger without a playoff win and lost almost every game that was important in his career.
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2020, 04:11 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: If you're going to use his playoff record to say that he's a loser in postseason, that's perfectly fair. However, doesn't that mean you would have to call him a winning regular season QB because that's also what his record says?

Not for the last four years. I guess you could say he is a has been a winner.
Reply/Quote