Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 3.43 Average
Why the **** is Jessie Bates not signed yet?
(07-24-2022, 12:27 PM)cinci4life Wrote: Sounds like Bengals have no intentions of trading Bates.

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2022/07/bengals-unlikely-to-trade-jessie-bates

Maybe our front office is FINALLY getting smart and just trying to up the ante because a search before I came to the pool (I’m there now) showed several new possibilities within the past two days or even few hours;

1) a Jets website lists three possibilities:

https://thejetpress.com/posts/ny-jets-rumors-jessie-bates-trade-packages/amp

2) Eagles

https://www.bleedinggreennation.com/platform/amp/2022/7/23/23275449/eagles-news-philadelphia-among-potential-jessie-bates-trade-destinations-safety-bengals-contract

3) Cowboys

https://www.si.com/nfl/cowboys/.amp/news/dallas-rumor-trade-bengals-free-agent-jessie-bates-camp

4) Commanders

https://www.si.com/nfl/commanders/.amp/news/cincinnati-bengals-star-safety-jessie-bates-washington-blockbuster-trade-rumors

They all could be click bait but let’s hope one comes true!
Reply/Quote
(07-18-2022, 04:12 PM)J24 Wrote: Their not signing Tee Higgins to a deal along with Chase. I just can't see this Front Office putting 90 million in guaranteed money to the WR position. As good as Tee is it will be much easier to find a good #2 Wr then a FS the Caliber of Bates.

Also is Dax Hill Bates replacement? He played very little at FS during his time at Michigan and played more as a Nickle Back during his college career. Expecting him to fill Bates role is a questionable move!

They're going to do what they can to keep Burrow happy.

How long did it take to replace Jones and Sanu?
Reply/Quote
I don't think they are even entertaining the idea of trading Bates, and probably one of the big reasons is opening the door of the possibility if a player doesnt get what he wants he can be traded to a team that will give it to him.

Imagine contracts going forward? I want XXX amount or trade me to a team who will give me that.

Yes after this year unless the Bengals franchise him again (which is highly unlikely ) he will sign somewhere else for big money. We know other organizations throw alot of money at free agents (which isn't necessarily a good thing at all )

The players job is to win games and the front office job is to put those players in a realistic position to do that. I see Bates showing up to play this year and next year he will get the money he wants.
Reply/Quote
(07-24-2022, 07:14 PM)GodFather Wrote: I don't think they are even entertaining the idea of trading Bates, and probably one of the big reasons is opening the door of the possibility if a player doesnt get what he wants he can be traded to a team that will give it to him.

Imagine contracts going forward? I want XXX amount or trade me to a team who will give me that.

Yes after this year unless the Bengals franchise him again (which is highly unlikely ) he will sign somewhere else for big money. We know other organizations throw alot of money at free agents (which isn't necessarily a good thing at all )

The players job is to win games and the front office job is to put those players in a realistic position to do that. I see Bates showing up to play this year and next year he will get the money he wants.

I doubt it because the players have to be getting tired of this shit too. They know that, if he stays and half-asses the regular season again, that has an impact on their play and their future contracts, and not to mention the additional money they'd make from playoff games if we were to miss the playoffs.

I think just cutting him could have that effect, but players also have to see that we're offering him a good contract and how many other players could get those kind of offers?

The players want to win and they know that, at this point, Bates might not give them the best opportunity to do that if he half-asses it.

If they were to just cut him, I agree that it might set a negative precedent, but getting value for him instead of just letting his play harm the team is the nature of the business.
Reply/Quote
(07-24-2022, 06:32 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: They're going to do what they can to keep Burrow happy.

So getting  rid of his best friend on the team in Bates will make him happy?

Also we replaced Sanu with Boyd that off season. It took a while to replace Jones.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(07-24-2022, 07:27 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: I doubt it because the players have to be getting tired of this shit too. They know that, if he stays and half-asses the regular season again, that has an impact on their play and their future contracts, and not to mention the additional money they'd make from playoff games if we were to miss the playoffs.

I think just cutting him could have that effect, but players also have to see that we're offering him a good contract and how many other players could get those kind of offers?

The players want to win and they know that, at this point, Bates might not give them the best opportunity to do that if he half-asses it.

If they were to just cut him, I agree that it might set a negative precedent, but getting value for him instead of just letting his play harm the team is the nature of the business.

I disagree because Bates half assing a season will certainly not earn him the money he wants. Top 3 players in their position don't half-ass it..
Reply/Quote
(07-24-2022, 09:07 PM)J24 Wrote: So getting  rid of his best friend on the team in Bates will make him happy?

Also we replaced Sanu with Boyd that off season. It took a while to replace Jones.

I'd say he's bigger buddies with Chase than Bates. If I recall, Chase went door to door in Burrow's neighborhood looking for someone the sell him their house.

WTS, I'd say doing whatever we can to win makes Burrow happy. Not sure a disgruntled Safety that costs $13 Mil is it. 

I have nothing against Bates and he has to do what he feels is best for him and his. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-24-2022, 06:32 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: They're going to do what they can to keep Burrow happy.

This... I keep hearing 90 million to keep Tee Higgins and Chase. The reality of the situation is that Ja'Marr is under team control through 2026 I believe... 2025 at the earliest. His contract really only has to overlap Tee's for a year tops. Re-up Tee ASAP (yes he'd be the highest paid WR on the team). Franchise Ja'Marr once, and see what you wanna do with Higgins then.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(07-24-2022, 09:29 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I'd say he's bigger buddies with Chase than Bates. If I recall, Chase went door to door in Burrow's neighborhood looking for someone the sell him their house.

WTS, I'd say doing whatever we can to win makes Burrow happy. Not sure a disgruntled Safety that costs $13 Mil is it. 

I have nothing against Bates and he has to do what he feels is best for him and his. 

I'm going to tell you what my 3rd grade teacher Mrs. Wilson told me. " You can have more than one best friend j24".

Also you clearly do have a thing against Bates
J24

Reply/Quote
(07-24-2022, 09:37 PM)jason Wrote: This... I keep hearing 90 million to keep Tee Higgins and Chase. The reality of the situation is that Ja'Marr is under team control through 2026 I believe... 2025 at the earliest. His contract really only has to overlap Tee's for a year tops. Re-up Tee ASAP (yes he'd be the highest paid WR on the team). Franchise Ja'Marr once, and see what you wanna do with Higgins then.

Could  they male it work yes but that's not how this Front Office works. He'll if they wanted to they could sign Bates, Higgins,Chase, and Burrow if they wanted to.

Here's the problem with that
Higgins agent is the same as Bates. Higgins will get every cent that is owned to him.

Here's  the major question about Higgins?

Do the Bengals view him as a #1 Wr or a #2? Also do you think will honestly pay him 40 to 50 Million in guaranteed money? Especially considering both Jonah and Burrow contract will be up by that time as well.
J24

Reply/Quote
(07-24-2022, 10:34 PM)J24 Wrote: I'm going to tell you what my 3rd grade teacher Mrs. Wilson told me. " You can have more than one best friend j24".

Also you clearly do have a thing against Bates

I have nothing against Bates, but I do have something against a player with a reg season PFF grade of 50 trying to hold the team hostage for a big pay day fkrnthe last 2 seasons... Especially now that they have a 1st round S on the roster who, by all accounts is A+.

That being said, Bates is allowed to and SHOULD maximize his value. I'm super sympathetic to that... I just don't care if it's w the Bengals or not. He is either avg, good, or awesome. Not consistently ekther of the 3. Not worth a crazy amount of money, IMO.
Reply/Quote
(07-24-2022, 10:43 PM)PDub80 Wrote: I have nothing against Bates, but I do have something against a player with a reg season PFF grade of 50 trying to hold the team hostage for a big pay day fkrnthe last 2 seasons... Especially now that they have a 1st round S on the roster who, by all accounts is A+.

That being said, Bates is allowed to and SHOULD maximize his value. I'm super sympathetic to that... I just don't care if it's w the Bengals or not. He is either avg, good, or awesome. Not consistently ekther of the 3. Not worth a crazy amount of money, IMO.

Well forgetting to mention that said player had an All pro season the year before and was rated a 90 during the  playoff run in which the Bengals made the Superbowl.

Also by most accounts both Hill and Anderson (the safeties we drafted) will not be suitable replacements for Bates next season.  Anderson is more of a Box Safety like Bell and Hill is more of a Nickle Back( think Charles Woodson in GB, Ronde Barber, or Malcolm Jenkins). We very well could be drafting a free Safety early next season to replace Bates.
J24

Reply/Quote
(07-24-2022, 10:41 PM)J24 Wrote: Could  they male it work yes but that's not how this Front Office works. He'll if they wanted to they could sign Bates, Higgins,Chase, and Burrow if they wanted to.

Here's the problem with that
Higgins agent is the same as Bates. Higgins will get every cent that is owned to him.

Here's  the major question about Higgins?

Do the Bengals view him as a #1 Wr or a #2? Also do you think will honestly pay him 40 to 50 Million in guaranteed money? Especially considering both Jonah and Burrow contract will be up by that time as well.

Yeah... I don't know how they view Higgins, but I do know there is a symbiotic relationship with the WRs. They all make each other better. Make each other's lives easier if nothing else. I know we're not keeping them all for the long haul, but I think they could creatively squeeze a few more prime years outta Higgins. You make a valid point about his agent. I don't think that guy's doing his other client on this team many favors either. We shall see how it plays out.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(07-24-2022, 11:00 PM)J24 Wrote: Well forgetting to mention that said player had an All pro season the year before and was rated a 90 during the  playoff run in which the Bengals made the Superbowl.

Also by most accounts both Hill and Anderson (the safeties we drafted) will not be suitable replacements for Bates next season.  Anderson is more of a Box Safety like Bell and Hill is more of a Nickle Back( think Charles Woodson in GB, Ronde Barber, or Malcolm Jenkins). We very well could be drafting a free Safety early next season to replace Bates.

Hill was a decent Nickel back at UM last year and projects to S in the NFL since that is his better position by far. He was forced into playing out of place as the nickel back at Michigan last season.. Multiple podcasts with Bengals personell directors who scouted and worked on the draft had them talking about Hill bekng a versatile piece in general, bjt that they saw him as primarily a S and he could play either.

He can play either S spot and fill in as the 3rd db is needed.

I absolutely did mention that Bates can be avg, good, or great. That pretty much covers his long ago 2019 season, 2020, and 2021 into the playoffs, yes?

He is inconsistent, yet wants paid as if he is great all the time. I am not big on that. It rarely, if ever, works out.
Reply/Quote
(07-24-2022, 09:23 PM)GodFather Wrote: I disagree because Bates half assing a season will certainly not earn him the money he wants. Top 3 players in their position don't half-ass it..

You'd think that but he half-assed the regular season last year and then waited until the playoffs to give it everything he had.
Reply/Quote
I'm not reading through all of this but how are people upset that a guy wants to get the most money he can while he has the ability too?

The average NFL career is pretty short and why wouldn't Bates want to cash in while he can?

Look at what happened to Earl Thomas who held out, then finally caved in and played and was rewarded with a season ending broken leg.

I like Bates, was high on him right after the team drafted him, but the team will eventually have to part with some good players if they plan to sign all the offense players they've drafted.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(07-25-2022, 01:43 AM)Murdock2420 Wrote: I'm not reading through all of this but how are people upset that a guy wants to get the most money he can while he has the ability too?

The average NFL career is pretty short and why wouldn't Bates want to cash in while he can?

Look at what happened to Earl Thomas who held out, then finally caved in and played and was rewarded with a season ending broken leg.

I like Bates, was high on him right after the team drafted him, but the team will eventually have to part with some good players if they plan to sign all the offense players they've drafted.

Because we offered him a damn good contract (by all indications), and he most likely won't get the contract he's looking for on another team.

And he half-assed the regular season, so how can we count on him?

I agree there's always an injury risk, which is why players shouldn't be greedy and should take fair offers.
Reply/Quote
(07-25-2022, 01:43 AM)Murdock2420 Wrote: I'm not reading through all of this but how are people upset that a guy wants to get the most money he can while he has the ability too?

Not mad at the guy for over valuing himself.. Also not wanting to pay him more than hes worth just cause he values himself at that moment.

13 mil seems enough to play 1 season on  if he wanted a better deal he should have gave 100% all year
Reply/Quote
(07-25-2022, 02:36 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: Because we offered him a damn good contract (by all indications), and he most likely won't get the contract he's looking for on another team.

And he half-assed the regular season, so how can we count on him?

I agree there's always an injury risk, which is why players shouldn't be greedy and should take fair offers.

1) What was the guaranteed money offered? If it was low, then it's not a good contract by ALL indications.
2) After seeing what some of these other safeties get paid really well but arguably worse than Bates (Marcus Williams), I think someone would give Bates the contract he's seeking. It might even be less in terms of years and/or total salary but higher guarantees than what the Bengals were willing to give.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(07-24-2022, 09:07 PM)J24 Wrote: So getting  rid of his best friend on the team in Bates will make him happy?

No one said anything about getting rid of Chase...
Reply/Quote