Poll: Will Hue Be Our Next Head Coach And Do You Want That?
Yes He Will And Yes I Want That
Yes He Will But No I don't Want That
No He Will Not But I Want Him To Be
No He Will Not, Which Is Good
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Will Hue Jackson Be Coaching The Bengals In 2018?
ESPN suggests the possibility of Marvin retiring or not being re-signed, and then asks if Hue will be his replacement.

Seems like a Mike Brown move to hire him because he's not a proven coach and won't demand a lot of money, but then he also might not hire him because he won't bring enough excitement to sell tickets.

Mike could like the hire because Hue knows how the Bengals work and would be fine with the lack of control and the shit-storm that the entire organization seems to be, from a tiny front office to a small scouting department to no indoor practice facility, etc.

Then again, there's always the question of how much if Mike even involved in these decisions anymore?

None of the AFC North reporters think it will happen:

Quote:Jeremy Fowler, ESPN's Pittsburgh Steelers reporter: That's a fascinating scenario, and one that Jackson would be foolish not to consider, but I predict he'll coach the Browns in 2018. Jackson can look at the ever-expanding list of Browns head coaches and compare it with Cincinnati, which has supported Lewis through 14 years, zero playoff wins and four losing seasons. The Bengals exhibit patience, a quality that is attractive to any coaching candidate. But the wild card is Jackson's seemingly positive momentum in Cleveland. Though he must win eventually, he has the right makeup for the Browns job and could earn a longer leash as a result. If Cleveland shows reasonable improvement in 2017, Jackson will stay close to Lake Erie.

That one doesn't make sense to me because he'd be coming to a better team, and Fowler even admits that he'd be given a long leash, but believes that he'll stay in the dumpster fire that is Cleveland Browns football.

Is that as stupid as it sounds to me?
Quote:Jamison Hensley, ESPN's Baltimore Ravens reporter: Browns. I believe Lewis will be coaching the Bengals in 2018, so this point is moot. Even if the Bengals' position opened up, Jackson will stay with the Browns. Jackson was fired by the Oakland Raiders in 2011 after going 8-8. It took five years before another organization put its faith in Jackson to be its head coach. The Browns won't show the same lack of patience that the Raiders had with him. No one would blame Jackson if he wanted to go. It's not as if the Browns have been the portrait of loyalty. Cleveland has had six head coaches since 2008. But these Browns are being built for the future and Jackson will want to see it through after the trials of a one-win season.

That one says that he'll stay because he doesn't know when he'll get another chance, but that doesn't make sense because this is if he's offered the position, and then follows it up by pointing out that the Browns don't keep head coaches very long.

Is that one also as stupid as it sounds to me?

Quote:Katherine Terrell, ESPN's Cincinnati Bengals reporter: Marvin Lewis might or might not be in Cincinnati in 2018. There has been a lot of speculation about his future as he enters the final season of his contract. Whatever happens to Lewis, it appears the Bengals' window for getting Hue Jackson has passed. The Bengals had discussed a potential succession plan for Jackson to take over for Lewis in 2018 following his retirement, but that never came to fruition and Jackson accepted the head coaching position in Cleveland. Yes, the Browns haven't had much patience with their coaches lately. In fact, two seasons seems to be the going rate for a coach's tenure in Cleveland. But they also appear to be trying to make some changes and have essentially undergone a total rebuild. Of course, he's not totally safe. Jackson is going to have to finish better than 1-15 this time. But the likelihood of Jackson being free to accept a job with the Bengals and Lewis retiring or not having his contract renewed in the same season seems unlikely.

At least she gives the reasons that Hue will stay, but even they don't seem like good ones to me because we already have a solid base here and he'd have to rebuild that franchise, which may or may not work out.

Do you think Hue comes here if Marvin retires? Would you want him here? List why or why not.

If the Browns have another shit year and Marvin is gone, I could see Hue coming here. He's not going to tell the media anything while he's still under contract with the Browns, though.

I personally don't want him. He sounds like another "yes, ma'am," coach, whereas I want a proven winner.

Thoughts?
Reply/Quote
No, and thank god.

I think hes like lebeau. HOF coordinator, terrible coach.
Great guy tho.
Reply/Quote
 I'm not saying if this is true or not but during Hard Knocks I got the vibe players did not like Hue. He had a tense exchange with Zimmer too.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I think we need a fresh face here. Someone the players will actually fear yet respect and want to give everything they have. Then I come back to reality knowing that the next head coach will more than likely be Guenther! Shit balls damnit.
Reply/Quote
Rather have a different former coordinator back...

Reply/Quote
My gut tells me Hue will stay with the Brownies, loathe as I am to agree with Jeremy Fowler on anything. I don't think Hue's going to be willing to give up the power and control he has in Cleveland to come back to Cincinnati where he wouldn't have as much. Hue's time here is past history. I think.
Reply/Quote
(07-06-2017, 11:36 PM)TKUHL Wrote: I think we need a fresh face here. Someone the players will actually fear yet respect and want to give everything they have. Then I come back to reality knowing that the next head coach will more than likely be Guenther! Shit balls damnit.

Good point and I agree 100%.

Players need to be held accountable and realize that they need to do their jobs or get a foot up their ass!

Players playing their hearts out for a coach out of fear or even just respect produces results, which Marvin gets neither of those things.
Reply/Quote
I really can't see this happening. Cleveland is giving him the time to turn the franchise around and if he does that he'll create his own legacy.

Personally, I like Hue but when the team moves on from Marvin it needs to really move on from him. Not promote some guy who worked for him or bring back someone who works well with him. They need a totally different feel on the sidelines and that won't happen if they hire Hue.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(07-07-2017, 01:36 AM)Murdock2420 Wrote: I really can't see this happening. Cleveland is giving him the time to turn the franchise around and if he does that he'll create his own legacy.

Personally, I like Hue but when the team moves on from Marvin it needs to really move on from him. Not promote some guy who worked for him or bring back someone who works well with him. They need a totally different feel on the sidelines and that won't happen if they hire Hue.

Exactly what I was saying.

They need to bring a new guy with fire and authority that inspires the players to play hard but also holds them accountable and has instills a respect and fear of letting him down.
Reply/Quote
(07-06-2017, 11:00 PM)Gohards Wrote: No, and thank god.

I think hes like lebeau. HOF coordinator, terrible coach.
Great guy tho.

My thoughts exactly.  I see Hue as an offensive Jim Schwartz - great as a coordinator, but I have my doubts about him having the personality to be a great HC.  

I also don't see the Browns parting ways with him quite that soon unless the Browns REALLY stink it up under his watch.
Reply/Quote
As far as moving on from Marvin, do people think he'll continue to work for the organization in some capacity? He's been here an eternity, i wonder if he'd really just pack up and leave town if he's not HC of the Bengals anymore. I think he could be valuable in another role besides coaching.

Reply/Quote
All the good prospects for the Bengals are gone, they just let them go giving Marvin Lewis try after try to reach and win a Super Bowl.

If Marvin Lewis retires or is fired or moves to some position in the Bengals organization, Mike Brown will hire some unknown, unproven guy like Dave Shula or Bruce Coslet.

Hue Jackson won't be back, I see success in Cleveland and those fans are starved for success.
Vance Joseph is the head coach of the Broncos and while they will fire a coach, they are committed to winning.
Mike Zimmer has success with the Vikings.
Jay Gruden, if he's fired he will return to being an OC but not with the Bengals, he will go somewhere that wants to win a Super Bowl.

The Bengals ship has sailed, Marvin Lewis should have been fired at least 2 times and one of those listed above taken over. When Mike Brown retires, we will again be in football hell as Katie does things her way and screws everything up for decades, lol.
Reply/Quote
The Browns will win 5-6 games this year, with a huge upset of putsburgh. Their town will be ecstatic. They will crush another offseason and draft and be rearing to go in 2019. Maybe not a playoff team, but gaining on that goal.

Hue isn't going anywhere. They know what they've got and they won't be impatient this time around.
Reply/Quote
(07-07-2017, 08:49 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: The Browns will win 5-6 games this year, with a huge upset of putsburgh.  Their town will be ecstatic.  They will crush another offseason and draft and be rearing to go in 2019.  Maybe not a playoff team, but gaining on that goal.  

Hue isn't going anywhere.   They know what they've got and they won't be impatient this time around.

I agree with this.  Don't look now, but they are assembling a pretty good roster, they just need a QB.  Also, for those saying we need a coach that has fire, commands authority, and players play hard for.......I saw a terrible Browns team play every single second of those 60 minutes every Sunday.  That team never laid down, and they had every reason to do so.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
No way, Urban Meyer will be the next head coach here.  Mark my words!
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
(07-07-2017, 09:38 AM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: No way, Urban Meyer will be the next head coach here.  Mark my words!

Shit......I hope not.  I see him like Chip Kelly....great at the college level, but I don't see his gimmick offense working in the NFL.

Reply/Quote
(07-07-2017, 09:41 AM)Wyche Wrote: Shit......I hope not.  I see him like Chip Kelly....great at the college level, but I don't see his gimmick offense working in the NFL.

But he's the savior of the bucknuts? its only logical for him to advance to the nfl once he's won his fifteenth college national title for them.

(there's sarcasm in there somewhere.  mainly to poke the bear a little with all the local osu fans on here.  Smirk )

I don't see Hue coming over here either.  I just get the vibe that Cleveland is actually trying to give him a legit chance there.  If Marvin doesn't come back next year, I honestly don't have any idea who will replace him.  ????   Maybe Bratkowski will come back?  ThumbsUp
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
(07-07-2017, 09:46 AM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: But he's the savior of the bucknuts? its only logical for him to advance to the nfl once he's won his fifteenth college national title for them.

(there's sarcasm in there somewhere.  mainly to poke the bear a little with all the local osu fans on here.  Smirk )

I don't see Hue coming over here either.  I just get the vibe that Cleveland is actually trying to give him a legit chance there.  If Marvin doesn't come back next year, I honestly don't have any idea who will replace him.  ????   Maybe Bratkowski will come back?  ThumbsUp

Oh Lordie....Brat?  The only thing worse than that would be a Piano Man promotion! Twitch 

I figured there was some tongue in cheek there.....but damn, I had to make sure! LOL

Reply/Quote
(07-07-2017, 03:31 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: As far as moving on from Marvin, do people think he'll continue to work for the organization in some capacity? He's been here an eternity, i wonder if he'd really just pack up and leave town if he's not HC of the Bengals anymore. I think he could be valuable in another role besides coaching.

Yeah, his son is there and I am sure he'll be around to help him. He'll probably be in some form of scouting or talent evaluation. Maybe even give him a fancy title like Director of Scouting or something like that. 
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
The NFL isn't like college football where coaches can just go leave and take a better job. Unless the Browns fire Hue, we'd have to work out a trade to get him here.

IF the Browns have a decent season by their standards (6+ wins)...I doubt they'd let him go.
Reply/Quote