Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Will We Improve The Line This Offseason?
I mean seriously improve, like fire Pollack, maybe draft guys in the first and second round, and bring in one or two top tier free agents?

I know we have Chase's contract to get done after this season, but I doubt it will take as long as Burrow's, so, if we do, will we focus on free agent linemen before or after we sign him?

Will we be able to fix it or at least make it decent?

Will we waste another year of Burrow and shorten his career by letting him keep taking sacks and hits?
Reply/Quote
They've been trying to fix the line for like 7-8 years.
Reply/Quote
They need to reevaluate the players they sign and draft on the offensive line. None of our current starting lineman have an elite Ras score.
Infact since 2015 we have only drafted 1 OL in the first 2 rounds with an elite RAS.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2023, 03:44 PM)J24 Wrote: They need to reevaluate the players they sign and draft on the offensive line. None of our current starting lineman have an elite Ras score.
Infact since 2015 we have only drafted 1 OL in the first 2 rounds with an elite RAS.

That's a good point.

Eye test the interior 3 offensive lineman are low-end starters.

I'd say Orlando Brown is an above average tackle.

Jonah is probably an average to below average tackle.
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2023, 03:40 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: They've been trying to fix the line for like 7-8 years.

This.  We've been drafting guys and getting FAs and it still isn't working.  I recall us wondering if there was even a reason to replace Dalton if we weren't going to fix the o-line.  Of course that went out the window when we stunk badly enough to get Burrow, but it just shows how long we've been talking about this.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2023, 03:40 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: They've been trying to fix the line for like 7-8 years.

I agree but I don't think we've gone all-out. 

We have signed a few guys and drafted a few but will we go all-out and sign top-tier guys and draft the best?
Reply/Quote
Cappa has been hugely dissaponting this year. I am not sure what the hell is going on with him..he was our best OL last year.

I feel like Karras is showing his age a little bit...he hasn't been great.

I don't understand why Volson is just cemented.

The problem is that all of the guys on the OL are signed for the next couple of years escluding Jonah. They are kind of stuck with them unless they cut and upgrade, but that is very un bengals like.

I think Frank Pollack needs to be questioned and honestly let go. He hasnt been able to develop or improve the line since hes been here.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
These players were much better before Pollack.

It's Pollack. Even Big Fat Pauly didn't have talented O linemen dropping off like this.

Everyone but Jonah and Cordell are outside FAs. WHat more can the Bengals do?
Reply/Quote
Not trying to play the devil advocate here, but given the circumstances I think it's not fair to judge our o-line. Burrow's unable to run and escape pressure, and that's weird because we’ve been told Burrow runs sprints at practice. Either that’s a lie or he’s been straight up told not to run with the ball in a situation like this.
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2023, 03:52 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: I agree but I don't think we've gone all-out. 

We have signed a few guys and drafted a few but will we go all-out and sign top-tier guys and draft the best?

we signed the person rated as the top OL for this season

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(10-02-2023, 04:01 PM)Bengalion Wrote: Not trying to play the devil advocate here, but given the circumstances I think it's not fair to judge our o-line. Burrow's unable to run and escape pressure, and that's weird because we’ve been told Burrow runs sprints at practice. Either that’s a lie or he’s been straight up told not to run with the ball in a situation like this.

Exactly, I was getting ready to type the same thing. For having a QB that can't move more than one or two feet in any direction, I think the line is playing pretty good all things considered. Put a mobile Browning back there, and then we can see what the protection looks like. 
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2023, 03:33 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: I mean seriously improve, like fire Pollack, maybe draft guys in the first and second round, and bring in one or two top tier free agents?

I know we have Chase's contract to get done after this season, but I doubt it will take as long as Burrow's, so, if we do, will we focus on free agent linemen before or after we sign him?

Will we be able to fix it or at least make it decent?

Will we waste another year of Burrow and shorten his career by letting him keep taking sacks and hits?

We've drafted guys in the 1st and 2nd.  We've signed top tier FA's.  Pollack needs to go.  
Reply/Quote
2 years ago if you told me our starting oline would be:

Orlando Brown Jr
A 4th Round Pick
Ted Karras
Alex Cappa
La'el Collins

I'd have been stoked. It might not be the players.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(10-02-2023, 03:56 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Cappa has been hugely dissaponting this year. I am not sure what the hell is going on with him..he was our best OL last year.

I feel like Karras is showing his age a little bit...he hasn't been great.

I don't understand why Volson is just cemented.

The problem is that all of the guys on the OL are signed for the next couple of years escluding Jonah. They are kind of stuck with them unless they cut and upgrade, but that is very un bengals like.

I think Frank Pollack needs to be questioned and honestly let go. He hasnt been able to develop or improve the line since hes been here.

The line's inability to pick up stunts and blitzes, as well as just failures in blocking heads up or in a linemen rushing around them, definitely points to failures in coaching.

I used to be a Pollack defender but this is ridiculous. Just watching them, you can tell they're completely unprepared to pick up stunts and blitzes or just set up to block defenders at different angles.
Reply/Quote
You can fire Pollack all you want but that would mean that thier would be a 3rd OL coach in Zacs tenor. Also firing Pollack doesn't solve the fact that Duke can't draft OL.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
why would we have to improve the line? We have Cordell Volson being a future hall of famer at left guard

It's because you are of such profound wisdom, Frank Booth. - SunsetBengal
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2023, 03:52 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: I agree but I don't think we've gone all-out. 

With Burrows salary on the books and Chase getting a big contract...I doubt they do it now.

Also, great lineman don't get to free agency. And when they do, they cost a lot.
Reply/Quote
We won't improve it, but will say we did things to improve it, like every year.

I don't care if Burrow is a statue, the O-line is clearly still bad. Yes, Burrow is playing super poorly, but two things can be bad at once. Even three!!! ( looking at you , Tee Higgins ).
Like a teenage girl driving a Ferrari. 
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2023, 03:58 PM)NotBigzo Wrote: These players were much better before Pollack.

It's Pollack. Even Big Fat Pauly didn't have talented O linemen dropping off like this.

Everyone but Jonah and Cordell are outside FAs. WHat more can the Bengals do?

This.... Pollack's greatest attribute is that he's not Jim Turner.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Let’s give the offensive line some props for at least run blocking better this season. Joe Mixon has had some success. This makes me wonder why Zac doesn’t call more run plays.
Reply/Quote