Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Will We Improve The Line This Offseason?
(10-07-2023, 09:46 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: This has actually been a consistent issue the last 20 or so years. Since 2003, Cincinnati has a had top 16 rushing offense by YPC five times, never ranking higher than 9th. The run game has been inefficient for years now. You have to go back to the 90's to find the first instance of Cincinnati stringing together two consecutive seasons within the top 16.

2014 was the only year since 2004 that I can remember the run game being dominant. Rudi had a couple worthy years too I suppose.

It's because you are of such profound wisdom, Frank Booth. - SunsetBengal
Reply/Quote
(10-07-2023, 09:46 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: This has actually been a consistent issue the last 20 or so years. Since 2003, Cincinnati has a had top 16 rushing offense by YPC five times, never ranking higher than 9th. The run game has been inefficient for years now. You have to go back to the 90's to find the first instance of Cincinnati stringing together two consecutive seasons within the top 16.

Believe me, I know. That long streak is one of the biggest pieces of evidence I used to use against Paul Alexander. I'm sure Wyche's Warrior will remember.

It's possible that the problem has just been the 2 line coaches we had for the vast majority of that.

I have also considered that our insistence on having a "bell cow" could be a factor. Maybe some of these 1000 yard rushers just weren't that good. We just used them a lot.

I'd definitely lean more towards Piano Man and Mr. Pollack being the problem, though.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
I thought Orlando had another rough game, and the interior continues to suck this season. Jonah has probably been our best OL. Which is kind of crazy.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(10-08-2023, 09:39 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I thought Orlando had another rough game, and the interior continues to suck this season. Jonah has probably been our best OL. Which is kind of crazy.

Brown and Karras had a rough day.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(10-08-2023, 09:44 PM)Synric Wrote: Brown and Karras had a rough day.

Brown got beat badly on the 1 sack.

That said, I won't insult the line too much for 3 sacks on 46 attempts.

They could be better, I will say that.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2023, 09:44 PM)Synric Wrote: Brown and Karras had a rough day.

I legitimately wonder how much playing next to Volson hurts them. I recall Boling having tougher years when he had to play next to Ogbuehi or Price compared to when he was next to Whit. It can't be good when you can't trust the guy next to you to do his job, so you're worried about doing your job AND keeping an eye out to potentially help with trouble next to you because you don't want your QB to die.

I will say though, I have been on the "move Karras to LG and get a real C" soapbox pretty much since the day we signed him. Sure seems he's been better there, our LG play has been terrible since Boling retired, and also a higher tier C is muuuuch cheaper to sign than a higher tier G in FA.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2023, 09:56 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I legitimately wonder how much playing next to Volson hurts them. I recall Boling having tougher years when he had to play next to Ogbuehi or Price compared to when he was next to Whit. It can't be good when you can't trust the guy next to you to do his job, so you're worried about doing your job AND keeping an eye out to potentially help with trouble next to you because you don't want your QB to die.

I will say though, I have been on the "move Karras to LG and get a real C" soapbox pretty much since the day we signed him. Sure seems he's been better there, our LG play has been terrible since Boling retired, and also a higher tier C is muuuuch cheaper to sign than a higher tier G in FA.

My buddy who is a diehard Chiefs fan was pleased to see Brown go. Said he cannot handle speed around the edge and it has shown up multiple times. He is still an upgrade over Jonah though and Jonah still needs to go play somewhere else.
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2023, 09:52 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Brown got beat badly on the 1 sack.

That said, I won't insult the line too much for 3 sacks on 46 attempts.

They could be better, I will say that.

Brown gave up a sack, the pressure that Joe danced out of in the first half that forced the FG which will be a QB hit, and got beat and pulled the defender down causing a hold which took away the Boyd TD.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
We have improved every year with Burrow. Rookie Horrible Year 2 way below average Year 3 slightly below average. Year 4 mediocre. Based off this pattern next year we may finally get above average
Reply/Quote