Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Will we regret Trae Waynes?
Article I just read while basking in the rays of fandom over our FA signings. https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/10-free-agent-contracts-nfl-teams-will-regret/ar-BB1219Ng?li=BBnba9I 

Quote:10 free-agent contracts NFL teams will regret

Quote:CB Trae Waynes ️ Cincinnati Bengals

Contract: 3 years, $42M
The Bengals can get away with overpaying some free agents since the quarterback they draft first overall will come with an affordable contract, but they shouldn't get reckless. Cincinnati guaranteed $15 million to Waynes, a league-average cornerback who will have $10 million of dead cap money in 2021 and $5 million in 2022. The Bengals needed to upgrade their secondary but should've done so without giving Waynes the sixth-highest average annual salary among NFL corners.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2020, 07:10 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Article I just read while basking in the rays of fandom over our FA signings. https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/10-free-agent-contracts-nfl-teams-will-regret/ar-BB1219Ng?li=BBnba9I 

if you look at the details of the contract its not as terrible as it sounds, but he's an upgrade to Kirkpatrick and he's still young.  Having an out in his 3rd year is a positive.  They are throwing tons of money at a slew of corners and there will be a lot of competition in the room so its exciting to see new faces.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
How can you regret a 3 year contract?
Reply/Quote
If he underperforms in the first two years, we can cut him and save 11 million dollars. It'd be a 5 million dollar dead cap number, but that's not so bad compared to the savings.

Basically, as long as he performs well enough in 2020 to warrant his 16 million cap number in 2021, we'll be totally fine with whichever outcome in 2022.

When you compare Waynes' contract to the other contracts on that list, you really begin to question why he is even on there.

That list has got:

Tannehill, who got 62 million guaranteed for a ~10 game stretch after being a bargain bin player for the rest of his career.

Schobert, who is getting 10 million a year to be an average starter at LB who can't rush the passer.

Vaitai, who is getting 10 million a year when he wasn't even a starter on the team he was leaving.

Brockers, who signed for more money post-injury discovery than what he got from the Ravens and whose position was already filled by another free agent signing

Flowers, a player who was seen as a legitimate bust until he moved to guard, where he was...fine, but not particularly good. Now getting 10 million a year

Cobb, a player who hasn't been an elite player since, what, 2015? Also going to be on the wrong side of 30 come August and is making 9 million a year.

And then Graham, who was a product of Drew Brees more than anything else and hasn't really done anything of note in over 2 years. He also hates blocking. Getting 10 million a year.

Why is a young player who has upside and speed at a premium position at a position of need on the team he signed with being dragged because he was paid a few million more than he realistically should have been, who has a reasonable out after 2 years?

The Gordan and Quinn contracts also don't seem to belong on this list. I'm not sure how you regret a 2 year deal for a RB at basic market value for a high end RB (8 million) and Quinn is a pass rusher...you pay for those. He and Mack are gonna cause havoc together.
Reply/Quote
I think what the opinion wrote about Waynes didn’t have Dre K in mind. Overpaid IR drama king who, overall, didn’t earn the money made here. So actually a savings and upgrade.

Reply/Quote
(04-01-2020, 07:10 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Article I just read while basking in the rays of fandom over our FA signings. https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/10-free-agent-contracts-nfl-teams-will-regret/ar-BB1219Ng?li=BBnba9I 

It is front loaded but they needed a boundary Corner to replace Kirkpatrick and Waynes is younger and a good one.

He can get better in coverage here no problem, way better tackler and the contract is good in that if he sucks we can cut him and 
save millions in a couple years. I like it myself, good player that allows us to unload Kirkpatrick's salary and tackling issues.
Reply/Quote
Trae Waynes is better than what the Bengals had. That’s an upgrade in my definition.
Reply/Quote
Depends. If he continues to improve, people will say it was a great signing. If he's already hit his cieling, we overpaid a couple million

It's not the best signing, sure, but he'd have to drop off for it to be regrettable.
Reply/Quote
If he can actually tackle a few guys without getting stiff armed into the next season 5X a year it's an upgrade.
Reply/Quote
Waynes is similar to Kirk in the way he interacts with Bengal fans. His main problem that I am aware is double-moves by WR. Like all cb, he will get burned on a play or two. But the one aspect I like about Waynes is his tackling. He plays the run very well.

With that said, I like Alexander better as a schematic fit for the Bengals.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(04-01-2020, 08:43 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: Waynes is similar to Kirk in the way he interacts with Bengal fans.  His main problem that I am aware is double-moves by WR. Like all cb, he will get burned on a play or two.  But the one aspect I like about Waynes is his tackling.  He plays the run very well.

According to some Viking fans, Alexander was their best Corner. Could be the steal of this FA besides Vonn Bell.

We can extend Alexander later. I think he will be great for us honestly and he can stay healthy unlike Dennard.
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2020, 08:43 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: Waynes is similar to Kirk in the way he interacts with Bengal fans.  His main problem that I am aware is double-moves by WR. Like all cb, he will get burned on a play or two.  But the one aspect I like about Waynes is his tackling.  He plays the run very well.

Sounds like you were describing Webb.

Reply/Quote
He is definitely an upgrade.
3 less yards per completion than Dre and he has always been about that each year vs Dre. The tackling isnt even comparable. In half the amount of snaps last year, Dre whiffed on more and almost gave up the same amount of yardage!
Not sure why hes on the list either. He has good experience and is young. This is a contract that's trying to catch a player in his prime in a very valuable position.

It's like XSF. Ol that arent drafted in Rd 1. Usually develop at 28 and dont fall off until about 31-32. Ofc there is always exceptions, but that's the general rule.
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2020, 09:02 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Sounds like you were describing Webb.

I think he is much better compared to Webb.  He seems to blanket WR better but gets juked. He is similar to Kirk but much better tackler from what I hear.   
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(04-01-2020, 09:06 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: He is definitely an upgrade.
3 less yards per completion than Dre and he has always been about that each year vs Dre. The tackling isnt even comparable.  In half the amount of snaps last year, Dre whiffed on more and almost gave up the same amount of yardage!
Not sure why hes on the list either. He has good experience and is young. This is a contract that's trying to catch a player in his prime in a very valuable position.

It's like XSF.  Ol that arent drafted in Rd 1. Usually develop at 28 and dont fall off until about 31-32.  Ofc there is always exceptions, but that's the general rule.

This.
Reply/Quote
Bengals have done far worse. He has shown he is at least decent, not old. Worth a shot.
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2020, 09:25 PM)Destro Wrote: Bengals have done far worse. He has shown he is at least decent, not old. Worth a shot.

Agreed. Plus, add new philosophy to this team. I think ZT knows what he’s getting. You know they watched tons of tape and discussed the kids character (character is now important with Bengals) and work ethic.

Reply/Quote
I didn't realize we paid him that much... I'ma say that chances are he doesn't live up to it.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Getting rid of Dre is a plus in itself.....I think we will be fine, as others have said we will have lots of competition in the secondary room
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2020, 09:37 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Agreed. Plus, add new philosophy to this team. I think ZT knows what he’s getting. You know they watched tons of tape and discussed the kids character (character is now important with Bengals) and work ethic.

Work ethic is very important. 
You can only survive for so long on talent. It's why many talented players flop in the NFL to lesser talented ones. 
Reply/Quote