Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Will we see players kneel?
(10-25-2017, 10:55 PM)GMDino Wrote: https://www.sbnation.com/mlb/2017/10/25/16550392/bruce-maxwell-as-catcher-denied-service-restaurant-trump-waiter

Actions and words have consequences.

I have no problem with the waiter refusing to serve him

I have no problem if the owner decides to fire him over his actions

I have no problem if the councilman is removed because he called a member of his district an idiot.  
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(10-26-2017, 01:32 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Actions and words have consequences.

I have no problem if the councilman is removed because he called a member of his district an idiot.  

Agreed, although I would add I also have no problem with the baseball player kneeling. Not so much because of his First Amendment rights, I just really don't care much for baseball.
(10-26-2017, 01:37 PM)Benton Wrote: Agreed, although I would add I also have no problem with the baseball player kneeling. Not so much because of his First Amendment rights, I just really don't care much for baseball.

Also he's a catcher. Seems like they would want to stand and stretch their legs every chance they get.

(10-26-2017, 01:32 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Actions and words have consequences.

But do you have a problem with him kneeling?
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(10-26-2017, 01:37 PM)Benton Wrote: Agreed, although I would add I also have no problem with the baseball player kneeling. Not so much because of his First Amendment rights, I just really don't care much for baseball.

Isn't it funny though that this didn't cause the stir that the NFL players did?

Wonder why?
(10-26-2017, 04:40 PM)GMDino Wrote: But do you have a problem with him kneeling?

I have a "problem" with any that willfully shows disrespect to the Nation; however, I appreciate their right to do so.

(10-26-2017, 05:15 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I have a "problem" with any that willfully shows disrespect to the Nation; however, I appreciate their right to do so.

Ok.  But people willfully showing disrespect to fellow citizens is alright?
(10-26-2017, 05:27 PM)GMDino Wrote: Ok.  But people willfully showing disrespect to fellow citizens is alright?

What does this forum have to do with the subject at hand?

But to answer the question: No. IMO willfully disrespecting a fellow citizen is not alright. Who was disrespected (except for the waiter that was called an idiot) in the example provided?

(10-26-2017, 01:29 PM)GMDino Wrote: I suppose I should just let you continue to believe you are always right and know exactly what others are thinking.  It is kind of fun to watch the word-vomit that is produced.

But since I have a second:

I shared an article that showed how players are affected by their stance...even in their home town.  I do disagree with someone refusing service purely because of politics...not because they exercised their right free speech.  It wasn't me who even brought up free speech (go look).  The owner decided that the waiter should not serve that person and didn't fire him or punish him (according to the story) so he was "cool with it".  Perhaps in your in depth analysis into my mind you missed the point that this is just like the NFL not punishing players?  Yes he gave the customer a different waiter.  Maybe that's how he runs a "successful business"?  

But when you answered :

[Image: sure.jpg]

You acknowledge that the boss was cool with it...pseudo intellectual paragraph to try and spin it to you being right and me being wrong again in response aside.

Anyway Joe...have at dissecting my every thought and word!  I'm cool with it.

Rock On

This probably sounded better in your mind would be my guess.
(10-26-2017, 09:00 AM)GMDino Wrote: Except it was at work which, as I understand it, is different.

The baseball player is not employed by the team he plays for?  Nervous
(10-26-2017, 05:31 PM)bfine32 Wrote: What does this forum have to do with the subject at hand?

But to answer the question: No. IMO willfully disrespecting a fellow citizen is not alright. Who was disrespected (except for the waiter that was called an idiot) in the example provided?

The customer who was initially denied service because of exercising HIS free speech.  

Just wondered.
(10-26-2017, 05:39 PM)PhilHos Wrote: The baseball player is not employed by the team he plays for?  Nervous

He is.  As was the waiter.  And NFL players.

And all three were allowed by their boss.  Free speech doesn't protect them from repercussion at the workplace.
(10-26-2017, 05:46 PM)GMDino Wrote: The customer who was initially denied service because of exercising HIS free speech.  

Just wondered.

Uh oh, looks like they made the story up.

http://www.foxnews.com/food-drink/2017/10/25/waiter-mlb-catcher-bruce-maxwell-made-up-story-about-service-refusal-over-anthem-protest.html

Both the waiter and manager state the story is a complete fabrication.

#fakenews
(10-26-2017, 05:47 PM)GMDino Wrote: He is.  As was the waiter.  And NFL players.

And all three were allowed by their boss.  Free speech doesn't protect them from repercussion at the workplace.

I agree. But you made it sound like the waiter's situation was different because he was at work, implying that the player was not when he was making his protest.
(10-26-2017, 05:50 PM)PhilHos Wrote: I agree. But you made it sound like the waiter's situation was different because he was at work, implying that the player was not when he was making his protest.

No, no.  Sorry.  When I mentioned he was at work it was in reference to Joe saying the waiter was exercising his free speech.  I just wanted to point out that he wasn't protected by that any more than the NFL players were but was (as far as the story says) allowed to keep his job.  
(10-26-2017, 05:48 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Uh oh, looks like they made the story up.

http://www.foxnews.com/food-drink/2017/10/25/waiter-mlb-catcher-bruce-maxwell-made-up-story-about-service-refusal-over-anthem-protest.html

#fakenews

If the waiter is telling the truth, he should sue Maxwell.
(10-26-2017, 05:53 PM)GMDino Wrote: No, no.  Sorry.  When I mentioned he was at work it was in reference to Joe saying the waiter was exercising his free speech.  I just wanted to point out that he wasn't protected by that any more than the NFL players were but was (as far as the story says) allowed to keep his job.  

Oh, ok. Got it.
(10-26-2017, 05:53 PM)PhilHos Wrote: If the waiter is telling the truth, he should sue Maxwell.

The manager completely backs up the waiter's version.  He absolutely should sue.  That poor persecuted MLB player. Sad
(10-26-2017, 05:48 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Uh oh, looks like they made the story up.

#fakenews

I wonder why someone would come out and deny they did something like that?  Weird.  But it's FOX so I guess it must be true.   Smirk

Especially when Maxwell never named the restaurant or the server.
(10-26-2017, 05:58 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: The manager completely backs up the waiter's version.  He absolutely should sue.  That poor persecuted MLB player. Sad

I'm thinking more of the "racial profiling" comment, but yeah.