Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
With Bridgewater seriously injured, could there be a Mccarron trade?
I'm so utterly sad about this injury.

It's not even for competitive reasons, I just really like Teddy.

I've been a fan of his since he was at Louisville. I like his play a lot.

I thought he would be the next big thing. He still might be...

This is definitely a significant setback though, and a crushing blow to Minny.
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2016, 08:43 AM)Bengals_Legendary Wrote: I'm so utterly sad about this injury.

It's not even for competitive reasons, I just really like Teddy.

I've been a fan of his since he was at Louisville. I like his play a lot.

I thought he would be the next big thing. He still might be...

This is definitely a significant setback though, and a crushing blow to Minny.

Young men don't come much finer than Teddy Bridgewater. He is a class act all the way.....
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2016, 09:55 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: i dont believe McCarron ever threw a pass while zimmer was still here...

At least very very few as he was hurt most that year.

The point was Zimmer has a relationship with the Bengals, so I'm sure there have at least been conversations.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2016, 09:27 AM)Matt_Crimson Wrote: I'm from Cincinnati and currently live in Minnesota and man...... the atmosphere here is dead..... all hope has been lost with the Bridgewater injury.

I seriously feel bad for them.  
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2016, 01:10 AM)Stonyhands Wrote: Restructure his contract.  I'm sure he'd appreciate playing for a contender.  He certainly improves our run game.  I could only imagine a one two punch with Gio and AP.  We should be in win now mode doing everything we can before our window closes.  

Except he already plays for a contender.  The Vikings won their division last year.  If they find a decent "game manager" to not screw anything up, they are right there in it.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2016, 09:31 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Sure, McCarron didn't look like a superstar for most of the game.  But, he came through late in the game, when it counted.  The team had the game won, it was unfortunate that it ended the way that it did.

for 3 full quarters he didn't even look like half a star.
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2016, 10:15 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: for 3 full quarters he didn't even look like half a star.

True, but the team bought into him in the leadership role.  They played their collective asses off.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2016, 08:35 AM)Brownshoe Wrote: TBH I didn't know that Manning had that bad of stats. That still doesn't take away the point that Bridgewater is one of the worst starting QBs in the league.

Plus how does that mean Dalton is terrible because of 2014? Dalton has had multiple good years, and Bridgewater has yet to have even a decent year.

Guess you shoulda looked up em up.....because none of the guys I mentioned were significantly better...and some were worse.  The point is...these are guys that have been around the league for years....not a guy who just completed his first full season under center....lest we forget he didn't start all 16 games in '14.  What were Andy's stats year 1?  Around 3000 yards?  He had AJ Green Bridgewater had......Patterson?  He plays in a run heavy offense because a HOFer is back there.  Zimmer and Norv love him.  All indications were his trajectory was still going up.....much like our guy.  You expected everyone to have patience with Andy ....but TB should be a Canton lock in year 1.75?  Come on now......get some perspective.  I have watched him since day 1 at Louisville.....he's beter than you think.  Stats aren't the end all be all. Also....guess who holds the all time NFL record for completion percentage for QBs under 25? Wink

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(09-01-2016, 10:21 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: True, but the team bought into him in the leadership role.  They played their collective asses off.

I think a lot of that had to do with the no call on Bernard.  They were flat as shit...par for the course....before that.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(09-01-2016, 10:22 AM)Wyche Wrote: Guess you shoulda looked up em up.....because none of the guys I mentioned were significantly better...and some were worse.  The point is...these are guys that have been around the league for years....not a guy who just completed his first full season under center....lest we forget he didn't start all 16 games in '14.  What were Andy's stats year 1?  Around 3000 yards?  He had AJ Green Bridgewater had......Patterson?  He plays in a run heavy offense because a HOFer is back there.  Zimmer and Norv love him.  All indications were his trajectory was still going up.....much like our guy.  You expected everyone to have patience with Andy ....but TB should be a Canton lock in year 1.75?  Come on now......get some perspective.  I have watched him since day 1 at Louisville.....he's beter than you think.  Stats aren't the end all be all.  Also....guess who holds the all time NFL record for completion percentage for QBs under 25? Wink

Everyone else did have better stats though. Really Manning was the only one that I mentioned that had worse stats than Bridgewater. Bridgewater started all but 3 and a part of one games in '14, so it's not like he missed a big part of the season. Dalton had about 3400 yards and 20 TDs and 13 INTs his first year... That's only 8 TDs away from Bridgewaters career total. Bridgewater had about 3000 yards 14 TDs and 12 INTs his first year. Daltons' second year he had 27 TDs (one away from Bridgewaters career total) and 3670 yards. Bridgewaters second year he had 3250 yards and 14 TDs. It's not like Bridgewater has even shown anywhere close to what Dalton showed his first two years. Dalton was always putting up decent numbers, and Bridgewater hasn't shown anything other than 5 yard passes and handing it off to a RB. Bridgewater has had bad deep balls, and he doesn't have very good pocket awareness.
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2016, 07:50 AM)Wyche Wrote: You had me until #3. He is still quite young and developing.  He left college a year early and went on to start 12 games in season 1......without AP.  The Vikings receiving corps isn't exactly a whos who of wideouts....although Rudolph is a good TE.  The o line has struggled a tad too.  That said....he and Treadwell had looked pretty good this preaeason and Teddy seemed to have taken another step in his development.

I'll concede both these points, but he hasn't looked good in the NFL over his first two seasons. Maybe this was the year? Obviously we won't find out now.

(08-31-2016, 10:30 AM)Go Cards Wrote: 1. Shawn Hill and Tom Brady do not belong in the same sentence when comparing QB's obviously as you have pointed out. 

2. Hill has stayed healthy because rookies keep beating him out that are merely "game managers". 

3. Rust will be his biggest issue and if they had so much confidence in him they would have not called practice off immediately. 

4. It would have just been, next man up while the veterans rallied around Shawn instead of allowing players to wander around cussing to the sky. 

5. Hill is ok, but preseason predictions have to be adjusted now big time. 

But Teddy will lead from locker room and sideline still. It is what he does best, be a leader. 

1. Fortunately, I wasn't comparing their careers, I was comparing their ages. Like I said, being 36 is hardly a death knell for a QB.

2. It doesn't matter why Hill is healthy, the point is that he's healthy, which means he'll probably age well. And yes, young 1st round game manager usually beats out the aging game manager.

3. Rust is only an issue for a week or two. Once he's getting first team reps, it doesn't take long. Calling off practice more likely had to do with the mental state of the team after what was described as a "gruesome" injury. I doubt they called off practice due to lack of confidence in Shaun. That doesn't even make sense IMO.

4. I don't think I've ever seen players act happy when the starting QB gets hurt. That doesn't mean they think Shaun Hill sucks.

5. Obviously I disagree. The Vikings went 11-5 last year with Teddy throwing a whopping 14 TDs and dink and dunking his way to 3200 yards. As long as AP and that defense are on the same level as last year, I think they'll be right there for a playoff berth. They could've improved on last year with TB playing, but I don't foresee a 5-11 season or any crazy drop off like that.

(08-31-2016, 01:09 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Warren Moon and Fran Tarkenton are two of the ones he surpassed ? 

Not too shabby. 

It was 91 Viking records set in all. But obviously some were just invented to get that many. 

Yet still.

Warren Moon wasn't a rookie with the Vikings, and if TB set 91 rookie records for them, then that's more of a sad testament to the QB history of the Vikings. Teddy's rookie numbers weren't all that impressive. Fwiw, I have no bias here. I don't even like college football and I have nothing against the Vikings. Just calling it as I see it. Teddy hasn't been bad at all, but he hasn't been all that good, either.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2016, 10:54 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I'll concede both these points, but he hasn't looked good in the NFL over his first two seasons. Maybe this was the year? Obviously we won't find out now.

1. Fortunately, I wasn't comparing their careers, I was comparing their ages. Like I said, being 36 is hardly a death knell for a QB.

2. It doesn't matter why Hill is healthy, the point is that he's healthy, which means he'll probably age well. And yes, young 1st round game manager usually beats out the aging game manager.

3. Rust is only an issue for a week or two. Once he's getting first team reps, it doesn't take long. Calling off practice more likely had to do with the mental state of the team after what was described as a "gruesome" injury. I doubt they called off practice due to lack of confidence in Shaun. That doesn't even make sense IMO.

4. I don't think I've ever seen players act happy when the starting QB gets hurt. That doesn't mean they think Shaun Hill sucks.

5. Obviously I disagree. The Vikings went 11-5 last year with Teddy throwing a whopping 14 TDs and dink and dunking his way to 3200 yards. As long as AP and that defense are on the same level as last year, I think they'll be right there for a playoff berth. They could've improved on last year with TB playing, but I don't foresee a 5-11 season or any crazy drop off like that.

Warren Moon wasn't a rookie with the Vikings, and if TB set 91 rookie records for them, then that's more of a sad testament to the QB history of the Vikings. Teddy's rookie numbers weren't all that impressive. Fwiw, I have no bias here. I don't even like college football and I have nothing against the Vikings. Just calling it as I see it. Teddy hasn't been bad at all, but he hasn't been all that good, either.

Perhaps, we will see. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2016, 12:26 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Perhaps, we will see. 

I will say this, the Packers are still in that division and I think the Lions are much better than they showed early last season.

That division should be an interesting race. I refuse to count out the Vikings though, as long as the run game and defense are playing well.

I'll definitely be keeping an eye on it this year.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2016, 09:27 AM)Matt_Crimson Wrote: I'm from Cincinnati and currently live in Minnesota and man...... the atmosphere here is dead..... all hope has been lost with the Bridgewater injury.

^^^^^^^^^^This right here tells the tale of what they thought of Teddy. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

and for those saying how sad the Vikings history is. They have been to the playoffs 26 times which is 3rd most in entire NFL. 

4 SB appearances, yet no wins.   In 69 they won before merger so will not count. 

Not great but hard for any Bengals fans to throw stones at that. 

Plus exactly how many games have some of you doubters even watched him play ? 

Done, we all know how much I think of the kid and you are entitled to your opinion too. 

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2016, 12:44 PM)Go Cards Wrote: ^^^^^^^^^^This right here tells the tale of what they thought of Teddy. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

and for those saying how sad the Vikings history is. They have been to the playoffs 26 times which is 3rd most in entire NFL. 

4 SB appearances, yet no wins.   In 69 they won before merger so will not count. 

Not great but hard for any Bengals fans to throw stones at that. 

Plus exactly how many games have some of you doubters even watched him play ? 

Done, we all know how much I think of the kid and you are entitled to your opinion too. 
Because someone is doubting a player has little to do with a team's history, same as supporting a player, it has little to do with the teams history
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2016, 12:49 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Because someone is doubting a player has little to do with a team's history, same as supporting a player, it has little to do with the teams history

Did he not bring up how sad Vikings history was because of Bridgewater's  rookie records ?

Am I missing something here and doubt Shake needs anybody to run into telephone booth for him. 

He is very formidable as are you. Both are great posters. 

Argued many topics with him while going through surgeries on the mothership while having more time on hand. Have softened since, mostly out of lack of time per work. 

But anyway 6 + 3 = 9,...... 5 + 4 = 9,......8 + 1 = 9,........ 7 + 2 = 9, and so forth. There are many ways to reach the answer and we all may choose different paths at our attempts. 

Just think Bridgewater could have gotten it done. Some do not, it is cool.

We all argued about Andy not long ago as well. 

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Yet we will know the answer on Hill soon enough which he seemed to backtrack some when christening the Lions and Packers in later post.

The Vikings are defending division champions and the team to beat if Teddy was so average and everything runs through AP anyhow.

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2016, 08:33 AM)Brownshoe Wrote: And Bridgewaters context he can't throw the long ball and relies on the run game to move the offense. He has shown absolutly nothing his first two years except he's really good at giving the ball to AP and throwing the ball 5 yards down the field.

If this is your honest statement on Teddy, I have no choice but to respect the fact that you haven't watched enough film, if any at all, on the way that offense operates and the way he plays.
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2016, 01:37 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Did he not bring up how sad Vikings history was because of Bridgewater's  rookie records ?

I was talking about their history with QB's in particular. Since Tarkenton (who last played in 1978), they haven't exactly had many good QB's, and they certainly haven't had many good rookie QBs. Since we're talking about all the Vikings' rookie records TB set, I feel that's relevant.

We're comparing TB with Christian Ponder, Tarkenton's 1961 season...and that's pretty much it. Culpepper didn't play as a rookie. Neither did Gannon or Brad Johnson. The Vikings haven't started many rookie QB's over their entire history. Maybe that's why TB set so many rookie records?
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2016, 02:13 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I was talking about their history with QB's in particular. Since Tarkenton (who last played in 1978), they haven't exactly had many good QB's, and they certainly haven't had many good rookie QBs. Since we're talking about all the Vikings' rookie records TB set, I feel that's relevant.

We're comparing TB with Christian Ponder, Tarkenton's 1961 season...and that's pretty much it. Culpepper didn't play as a rookie. Neither did Gannon or Brad Johnson. The Vikings haven't started many rookie QB's over their entire history. Maybe that's why TB set so many rookie records?

Cool, sorry for wasting your time with Vikings history. 

It is not Teddy's fault they did not start rookie years and records do mention Warren Moons games so they must have included his first season there. Maybe I worded it wrong and it was first year QB's.

The records have nothing to do with my opinion anyway although the one about

best all time QB completion % for QB under 25 years old Wyche mentioned does not sound as if it sucks if true. 

The kid is a winner and could have been great in mine, coaches, Viking, and Louisville Cardinal fans opinions. 
Even AP said he had greatness in him, who was critical of him while banned.

Does not matter, everybody already knew my opinion of him from my trade Dalton and draft Teddy if he falls to us thread started even though I was a Dalton supporter at time. 

Surprised this was not thrown in my face with laughter ensuing. 

Done with this thread anyway have to head to Cincinnati for game , final thought. 

I like the kid and feel bad for him and Zimmers luck. It is clear some agree, and some disagree.   

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote