Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
World Cup 2018 (bracket challenge too!)
(06-02-2018, 11:41 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: While officially, the board neither endorses or supports financial wagering among members, I can say this.  During football season, a few of us take part in a small group, weekly competition on fanduel.  Perhaps they, or a similar agency will be offering World Cup pools?

Oh I wasn't suggesting playing for money, although now I see why the word my translator gave me seems to hint at that. No, I just wanted to do something similar to the NFL Pick 'em on these boards. Just for the honor.

That being said, I'd be in on several of these pools too, I ain't afraid of you. Payments to the US are always difficult for me though.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-02-2018, 01:19 PM)Millhouse Wrote: The final 4 from my bracket, I ended up with Brazil > France & Argentina > Germany , with Brazil beating Argentina.

I have registered and accepted an invitation from you. I am going to wait to see how the pre-tourney friendlies go before I predict. Have any other people signed up?

Thanks for putting it all together, btw.
Reply/Quote
(06-02-2018, 08:03 PM)hollodero Wrote: Oh I wasn't suggesting playing for money, although now I see why the word my translator gave me seems to hint at that. No, I just wanted to do something similar to the NFL Pick 'em on these boards. Just for the honor.

That being said, I'd be in on several of these pools too, I ain't afraid of you. Payments to the US are always difficult for me though.

You Euro's and your gambling on soccer.   Wink
Reply/Quote
U-S-A!  U-S-A!  U-.....oh....nevermind.

Viva La Mexico!  My dark horse.

Did the Irish make it?  If so, I'm taking them as my other dark horse.

What about the Orange crush, the Nederlands?  Give me those guys too.

Brazil to win it all.
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
(05-26-2018, 09:40 AM)hollodero Wrote: No Germany? Bold...

...I think they are favorites. Then sure, Spain, France. I don't believe in Brazil or Argentina. Portugal is overrated, and England traditionally can't win. And I hope for a surprise winner that never happens in the World Cup.
Ahem...1966 Wink
[Image: giphy.gif]

Reply/Quote
I fancy Germany, as I do in every tournament. They are the masters of tournament football.

As for England, I think the whole nation just wants to avoid humiliation this time...
We have been playing some decent stuff under Southgate. We have deployed a system to utilise the abundance of pacey players we have at the moment. We should certainly be more entertaining than previous campaigns, but i'd bare my arse on the town hall steps if we get close to the final :)

Aside from ze Germans, Spain and Brazil would be my best bets. Argentina and France not bad bets.

Finally, it just won't feel like a world cup without the Dutch or Italians!

Reply/Quote
(06-04-2018, 07:06 PM)YorkshireBengal Wrote: Ahem...1966 Wink

I know... I thought those ignorant Americans wouldn't notice.

Also, events like that become stale after fifty years. England isn't associated with Hurst's goal, but with Beckham shooting up the moon.
Reply/Quote
(06-04-2018, 07:16 PM)hollodero Wrote: I know... I thought those ignorant Americans wouldn't notice.

Also, events like that become stale after fifty years. England isn't associated with Hurst's goal, but with Beckham shooting up the moon.
I can assure you it is remembered by people who weren't even alive at the time hahah. In school they used to play a video tape of the final from time to time. 

Reply/Quote
(06-04-2018, 07:16 PM)hollodero Wrote: I know... I thought those ignorant Americans wouldn't notice.

I'm with the Huddersfield fan on this one (congrats on avoiding the drop this season, btw)....as long as our semi-final appearance in 1930 counts.  Wink
Reply/Quote
(06-04-2018, 02:40 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: U-S-A!  U-S-A!  U-.....oh....nevermind.

Brazil to win it all.

Ireland, nor the Dutch made it. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Wow, no Sane or Martial.

I suspect the Sane omission is a team chemistry choice by Lowe. Martial didn't get enough mins and France has incredible roster depth at forward.
Reply/Quote
(06-04-2018, 08:32 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Ireland, nor the Dutch made it. 

Soccer is dead to me.
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
Allez la France !!

And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

Reply/Quote
Just a reminder if anyone wants to join the bracket, the first game starts tomorrow morning at 11:00 est. There are 5 in it, but you also will be up against the rest of your country. Sorry for late reminder, was meaning to do this few days ago but forgot.

(05-25-2018, 05:55 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: I have a feeling it will be a Germany vs Brazil final.

(05-26-2018, 12:06 AM)CKwi88 Wrote: As a dual citizen of Brazil, they'll always have my support.

(05-26-2018, 11:34 AM)Beaker Wrote: My picks, in order:

1. Germany
2. France
3. Brazil
4. Spain
5. Argentina

Would love to see:

1. Iceland

(06-01-2018, 09:05 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: I am SOOOOOOOO damn happy that Italy isn't in it: now I don't have to see thousands of people I know/in my area, who don't speak the language and only show their Italian pride every 4 (2 years actually, because of the Euro Cup) years and not day to day like myself.

I can just relax and put soccer at the back of my mind this year Big Grin

(06-02-2018, 11:41 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: While officially, the board neither endorses or supports financial wagering among members, I can say this.  During football season, a few of us take part in a small group, weekly competition on fanduel.  Perhaps they, or a similar agency will be offering World Cup pools?

(06-04-2018, 02:40 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: U-S-A!  U-S-A!  U-.....oh....nevermind.

Brazil to win it all.

(06-04-2018, 07:06 PM)YorkshireBengal Wrote: Ahem...1966 Wink

(06-05-2018, 03:18 AM)Arturo Bandini Wrote: Allez la France !!
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
Spain fired their coach the day before the world cup wtf! Also 2026 we were be hosting the event although I still don't understand why we have to share it with Mexico and Canada.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(06-13-2018, 11:00 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: Spain fired their coach the day before the world cup wtf! Also 2026 we were be hosting the event although I still don't understand why we have to share it with Mexico and Canada.

Because we like soccer more than Americans do.

Mexico is a no-brainer.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
Tried to log in this morning early enough to sign up for bracket. Missed it. Sorry.

Heart wants Brazil to take it all, brain is telling me that this team doesn't quite have it. The European game has overtaken the South American game and I think that Brazil has too much pride to admit it.

It would be great to see a Brazil vs Germany final, but I think Brazil falls to Belgium and then Germany takes it all.
Reply/Quote
Nobody picked the home team, Ruskies, to win it all?  They looked near unstoppable, did they not?

Reply/Quote
(06-14-2018, 02:41 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: Nobody picked the home team, Ruskies, to win it all?  They looked near unstoppable, did they not?

Soccer is corrupt, but not THAT corrupt. LOL
Reply/Quote
(06-14-2018, 03:25 PM)CKwi88 Wrote: Soccer is corrupt, but not THAT corrupt. LOL

Hey, if the Ruskies can get Trump elected, they can win the Cup! LOL 

p.s. It was a joke people!
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote