Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Would Hue as OC and Paulie G as HC work?
Trying to be realistic, I know that we aren't going to get a coach like Josh McDaniels and have him bring Matt Patricia over as his DC. Would it be feasible for Hue to want to be an OC under Paulie? He has a guaranteed contract under Cleveland but there is some internal strife there and he could be available. This offense rolled in 2015 under his tutelage, and I won't hold him responsible at all for what has happened in Cleveland after stripping that team of any talent for picks and only one draft class under his belt.

Would it make more sense to have Hue as HC? Who would run the offense? Does he deserve that opportunity over Paulie after leaving? He won't need crazy money to come back here, and we know everyone here likes him.

I would imagine the best possible (realistic) scenario would be for Paulie G to be HC and Hue be the OC, and fire that turd Alexander.

Thoughts?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-15-2017, 10:22 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Trying to be realistic, I know that we aren't going to get a coach like Josh McDaniels and have him bring Matt Patricia over as his DC. Would it be feasible for Hue to want to be an OC under Paulie? He has a guaranteed contract under Cleveland but there is some internal strife there and he could be available. This offense rolled in 2015 under his tutelage, and I won't hold him responsible at all for what has happened in Cleveland after stripping that team of any talent for picks and only one draft class under his belt.

Would it make more sense to have Hue as HC? Who would run the offense? Does he deserve that opportunity over Paulie after leaving? He won't need crazy money to come back here, and we know everyone here likes him.

I would imagine the best possible (realistic) scenario would be for Paulie G to be HC and Hue be the OC, and fire that turd Alexander.

Thoughts?

Can we please stop with this? They went outside of the organization to hire Marvin, they should be able to do it again now.

I root for the Bengals to win the Super Bowl. I don’t root for them to settle. I settle in life. That’s why I have an unattractive wife and I sit in a cubicle all day. Sports are supposed to be a break from all that settling. Paul Guenther is the human equivalent of sitting hopelessly in a cubicle all day, waiting to die. I don’t want him to be the coach of my favorite football team. Because if he is, then being a sports fan becomes just like living life day-to-day, and that saps all the fun out of it.
“It’s easy for everybody to say to make that change," Lewis said last week. "But ... when that change doesn’t work out, what do you do?"

Marvin Lewis on why he refused to make a change at the kicker position.
Reply/Quote
I'm ready to get the whole Marv stink off this team. Clean house!
Reply/Quote
Of all the potential coaching candidates, Hue as HC is at the very bottom. As OC, he's at the top.

But realistically, they will almost certainly promote Paulie and keep Lazor for another year. I even fully expect them to keep PA around for another year or two.

The man has been around for almost 3 decades, I have little doubt that this is what breaks the camels back.

Better question IMO is who fills the DC job?
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
While I wouldn't necessarily be opposed to the idea of Hue as OC, the HC better be on his first contract with the Bengals in any capacity.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(11-15-2017, 10:22 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Trying to be realistic, I know that we aren't going to get a coach like Josh McDaniels and have him bring Matt Patricia over as his DC.  Would it be feasible for Hue to want to be an OC under Paulie?  He has a guaranteed contract under Cleveland but there is some internal strife there and he could be available.  This offense rolled in 2015 under his tutelage, and I won't hold him responsible at all for what has happened in Cleveland after stripping that team of any talent for picks and only one draft class under his belt.

Would it make more sense to have Hue as HC?  Who would run the offense?  Does he deserve that opportunity over Paulie after leaving?  He won't need crazy money to come back here, and we know everyone here likes him.

Thoughts?

I agree...it's probably the best we can hope for although Guenther has been with Lewis for so long that philosophically I think they're very similar.

Hue as OC would be great. Guenther as HC is mediocre.
Reply/Quote
(11-15-2017, 10:33 AM)Madieu Superstar Wrote: Can we please stop with this? They went outside of the organization to hire Marvin, they should be able to do it again now.

I root for the Bengals to win the Super Bowl. I don’t root for them to settle. I settle in life. That’s why I have an unattractive wife and I sit in a cubicle all day. Sports are supposed to be a break from all that settling. Paul Guenther is the human equivalent of sitting hopelessly in a cubicle all day, waiting to die. I don’t want him to be the coach of my favorite football team. Because if he is, then being a sports fan becomes just like living life day-to-day, and that saps all the fun out of it.

I think you just pinpointed why people jump on bandwagons rather than root for a lousy team.  Personally, I'm the kid who always rooted for Wile E. Coyote to catch the Roadrunner even though I knew he never would.  Anyways, nearly 30 years of evidence leads me to believe that our next HC will be an internal promotion, or it might be someone from outside of the organization who will cave to Mike Brown's way of doing things.

I also find it interesting that you already know Geunther will be an unfulfilling cubical jockey of a HC (he probably will be) but you seem at least somewhat OK with the clock-punching dead-eyed schlub we have as HC now.  Marvin is evidence that Mike Brown can hire a hot external prospect and beat the zest for life out of him.  So...that's my take.  We will get an internal ho-hummer, an external bum who can't get another HC gig, or a decent external candidate who will be as ruined my Mike Brown as the coaches and players who stuck around.

(11-15-2017, 10:46 AM)Yojimbo Wrote: I'm ready to get the whole Marv stink off this team. Clean house!

It's worth a shot, but aren't we all pretty sure that Marvin just stinks of the Mike Brown way?  Look how we thought we were reborn in 2011 and 6 years later we see Dalton and Green looking more like Palmer and Chad...this franchise just drains people like a bad marriage, or one of those jobs we've all had where we are told told work harder while upper management keeps giving their idiot friends and their girlfriends promotions.  Sorry, to much real-life experience banging my head against a wall here.
Reply/Quote
(11-15-2017, 10:33 AM)Madieu Superstar Wrote: Can we please stop with this? They went outside of the organization to hire Marvin, they should be able to do it again now.

You're following a Bengals team who hasn't won a playoff game in 26+ years. Exactly 3 of 49 seasons have had atleast 1 playoff win so far.

That's worse than sitting in a cubicle every day.
Reply/Quote
Are there people hoping Guenther becomes the next HC? Because, that's just insane, IMO. Not that Guenther wouldn't necessarily be a bad HC, but it just means more of the same from the Bengals and Mike Brown.

A new coach from outside the organization is no guarantee either, but at the very least, he will probably bring a different perspective on things and maybe could convince Brown to make some changes. Let's not forget Merv was able to convince the old man to make a couple changes (not nearly enough, of course, but IIRC things like increasing the size of the scouting department from pitiful to tiny).
Reply/Quote
(11-15-2017, 11:37 AM)Hoofhearted Wrote: Better question IMO is who fills the DC job?

Best guess?  One of these guys:

Defensive Coaches

Just a quick glance and Haslett has been a DC before, so I'd assume him.
Reply/Quote
TBH the only way any coordinator and/or HC change will succeed will be to bring in people who can identify the issue(s) with the OL and address appropriately.
This offense also needs an identity. Need to decide whether passing or rushing offense, and need to decide what type of rushing/passing attack to do.
Right now it just seems like a clusterf**k of skill players with no plan in mind.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(11-15-2017, 12:11 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Best guess?  One of these guys:

Defensive Coaches

Coyle has been a DC before as well and has had a longer tenure with the Bengals vs Haslett.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(11-15-2017, 12:03 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I think you just pinpointed why people jump on bandwagons rather than root for a lousy team.  Personally, I'm the kid who always rooted for Wile E. Coyote to catch the Roadrunner even though I knew he never would.  Anyways, nearly 30 years of evidence leads me to believe that our next HC will be an internal promotion, or it might be someone from outside of the organization who will cave to Mike Brown's way of doing things.

I also find it interesting that you already know Geunther will be an unfulfilling cubical jockey of a HC (he probably will be) but you seem at least somewhat OK with the clock-punching dead-eyed schlub we have as HC now.  Marvin is evidence that Mike Brown can hire a hot external prospect and beat the zest for life out of him.  So...that's my take.  We will get an internal ho-hummer, an external bum who can't get another HC gig, or a decent external candidate who will be as ruined my Mike Brown as the coaches and players who stuck around.

It's worth a shot, but aren't we all pretty sure that Marvin just stinks of the Mike Brown way?  Look how we thought we were reborn in 2011 and 6 years later we see Dalton and Green looking more like Palmer and Chad...this franchise just drains people like a bad marriage, or one of those jobs we've all had where we are told told work harder while upper management keeps giving their idiot friends and their girlfriends promotions.  Sorry, to much real-life experience banging my head against a wall here.

You know, after all of the shit I've given Marv over the years.....and he IS culpable in some of this.....I have found myself leaning more and more to the "Mike Clown has Bungalized him" side of things.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(11-15-2017, 12:11 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Best guess?  One of these guys:

Defensive Coaches

Dark horse candidate: 
Merv Lawis 

Mellow
Reply/Quote
No.
[Image: 85d8232ebbf088d606250ddec1641e7b.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(11-15-2017, 12:14 PM)Wyche Wrote: You know, after all of the shit I've given Marv over the years.....and he IS culpable in some of this.....I have found myself leaning more and more to the "Mike Clown has Bungalized him" side of things.

Agreed.  Marvin's biggest point of culpability in my mind happened when he flipped on demanding change with Palmer after 2010.  After that he pretty much agreed to go along with Mike's failure of a plan for his own sake.  Not a decision I'd hold against him as a person, but from then on he was a willing accomplice.  

Marvin legit reminds me of my cousin who has been married for 13 years to a woman who is a complete nutbag.  There was a time when he tried to talk her out of being insane but now he just looks dead inside, shrugs, and go with the terrible plan because that's the status quo.
Reply/Quote
So we know that the Bengals FO has worked primarily here and not for other teams. A lot of our coaches have been here for over a decade in many cases.

What you get from external hires is someone who will come in and mix things up and bring processes that work for other teams.

Maybe it's new practice drills. Maybe it's a different weight lifting philosophy. Maybe it's focusing on a particular aspect of offense. Maybe it's a different kind of film study.

It mixes things up from the norm.
Reply/Quote
(11-15-2017, 12:22 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: So we know that the Bengals FO has worked primarily here and not for other teams. A lot of our coaches have been here for over a decade in many cases.

What you get from external hires is someone who will come in and mix things up and bring processes that work for other teams.

Maybe it's new practice drills. Maybe it's a different weight lifting philosophy. Maybe it's focusing on a particular aspect of offense. Maybe it's a different kind of film study.

It mixes things up from the norm.

As long as the new HC gets the authority to choose his coaching staff. Supposedly, Merv was able to choose his staff for the most part and while I believe it was his decision to keep some of the coaches, I can't help but think that Mike Brown kind of REALLY "encouraged" Merv to keep some of them.

The new HC MUST be allowed to choose whomever he wants free of any influence from Brown. Heck, I would go so far as to encourage the new HC to not bring back any coach whatsoever.

It's not going to really make any difference to hire a new HC, if we bring back a majority of the current coaching staff regardless of their talent.
Reply/Quote
(11-15-2017, 12:19 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Dark horse candidate: 
Merv Lawis 

Mellow

I prefer Larv Mewis

[Image: 1557494_10101364646928600_14694818154605...e=5AAAA9C9]
Reply/Quote
(11-15-2017, 12:14 PM)Wyche Wrote: You know, after all of the shit I've given Marv over the years.....and he IS culpable in some of this.....I have found myself leaning more and more to the "Mike Clown has Bungalized him" side of things.

I actually think you are close, but I believe MB hired ML because Lewis is a clone of Brown, in the way they think and manage. Both cannot adapt to changes and both believe their way is the only way, OLD SCHOOL.  I for 1 do not want ML as a GM or anywhere near this franchise if he steps away from being a HC. I agree with the majority here, time to get rid of everyone and bring new. At least it will be fresh again, ala ML first couple of years. New offensive scheme and an attacking defense would be great.If I was a young coach interviewing for the job, I'd tell MB everything he wants to hear and then come game time I'd forget everything I said to MB and play to win...
Reply/Quote