Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Would You Like to See Joe Burrow See Preseason Snaps?
Pretty simple question, do you want to see Joe Burrow play in the preseason?  It could be for only for a series or two, only for a single game, or multiple games.  Or would you prefer he doesn't play at all?

I suppose, since I'm asking, i should answer my own question.  I'm hoping they don't play him.  Even if he's healthy enough, I'd prefer he doesn't see any in-game action until the start of the season.

Fwiw, I think preseason can be great for certain things; I think letting guys battle for a roster spot or for a starting position are good examples.  I also think they can be very good for letting rookies get a taste of the NFL and get adjusted to what it's like.  But I don't think  Burrow will benefit from it.  In fact, if I had my way, most guys wouldn't play in the preseason.

I think as far as him getting him confident playing again, that can be accomplished in practice and scrimmages.  They can simulate a lot of things in a contolled environment.  I just think with his recovery timeline lining up so closely to preseason and the start of the regular season, it's better to err on the side of caution.

What says you?
Reply/Quote
Yes. At least a series or two.
Reply/Quote
Yes.

First, he needs to get comfortable taking a hit after the surgery and it's better to get that out of his head and out of the way in games that don't matter. Make sure he is comfortable in the pocket and can handle guys falling around his leg after the injury.

More importantly though is that he is only in his second season. He needs the reps just as much as any other young player. Another situation where if he is going to make mistakes, bad throws, bad reads, etc., that stuff needs to get sorted out in the games that don't matter. He is a young QB, not a 5 plus year veteran starter who can take limited snaps and still be good to go.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-12-2021, 04:11 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Pretty simple question, do you want to see Joe Burrow play in the preseason?  It could be for only for a series or two, only for a single game, or multiple games.  Or would you prefer he doesn't play at all?

I suppose, since I'm asking, i should answer my own question.  I'm hoping they don't play him.  Even if he's healthy enough, I'd prefer he doesn't see any in-game action until the start of the season.

Fwiw, I think preseason can be great for certain things; I think letting guys battle for a roster spot or for a starting position are good examples.  I also think they can be very good for letting rookies get a taste of the NFL and get adjusted to what it's like.  But I don't think  Burrow will benefit from it.  In fact, if I had my way, most guys wouldn't play in the preseason.

I think as far as him getting him confident playing again, that can be accomplished in practice and scrimmages.  They can simulate a lot of things in a contolled environment.  I just think with his recovery timeline lining up so closely to preseason and the start of the regular season, it's better to err on the side of caution.

What says you?

Probably not.  Just don't see what the benefit is.  He can get all the reps he needs against the Vikings.

If I recall Carson Palmer may have taken a series or 2 during preseason after his injury.
Reply/Quote
No, I don't really see a need. He is the starter and he did well last season without it, all things considered. With a full camp, that's good enough.
Reply/Quote
Definitely needs to play a little bit.

It will get his feet wet and get him back into the competitive rhythm because there's just no substitute for actual in-game play, even if it is just the preseason.

It will also give him different looks to get used to and just something new so he doesn't get complacent because competing against your own guys in 7-on-7s and even the backup defense would get too comfortable and he at least has to get the feel of something new.
Reply/Quote
Yes last thing we want is him to start without be in a full out game of contact since middle of last season
Reply/Quote
(07-12-2021, 04:39 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: First, he needs to get comfortable taking a hit after the surgery and it's better to get that out of his head and out of the way in games that don't matter. Make sure he is comfortable in the pocket and can handle guys falling around his leg after the injury.

I rarely agree with Murdock, but he hit the nail on the nail on the head here.  Burrow has never returned from a serious injury before.

(07-12-2021, 04:59 PM)PDub80 Wrote: No, I don't really see a need. He is the starter and he did well last season without it, 

1.  He was not returning from a serious injury last year.

2.  I don't consider finishing 24th in the league in passer rating and not being able to complete a deep pass to be "playing well".
Reply/Quote
(07-12-2021, 04:55 PM)Daddy-O Wrote: He can get all the reps he needs against the Vikings.

The Bengals should be improved this year, but we won't be close to good enough to win any game wasting a half getting our QB practice reps.  He has to be confident and ready to go from the very first snap.
Reply/Quote
Yes I believe he should get a few series in. Has to get back to game speed.
Reply/Quote
Yep. Get him in there for a series or two in the first couple games. If the third game isn't like the usual 4th ps game, get him a couple there too. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Game speed is important. I'd like to see him in for a few series or until he looks comfortable.
Reply/Quote
Yes.

Otherwise you're throwing Burrow into Week 1 cold after 10 months of not playing.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Would love to see Burrow getting snaps in the pre-season because that says he is 100% healthy. I also wouldnt complain if he didnt start until week 2.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
I guess it depends on how the 5 men up front are blocking.  If they totally suck just like last year, then no way.  I don't see the point of putting him out there just to get waxed in a meaningless game.  He will get his chance for an asskicking right away Week 1, so what's 8-15 snaps really going to change?  
But, if they are worth a damn, then yes, by all means put him out there and let's see what shakes loose.

Zac and Frank should know whether Joe should play or not just by observing everyday in camp.  If he sits, I'd be pretty skeptical of what we've got here.
"Our offensive line is going to surprise a lot of people" - Mike Brown (7-26-21)
Reply/Quote
(07-12-2021, 04:39 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Yes.

First, he needs to get comfortable taking a hit after the surgery and it's better to get that out of his head and out of the way in games that don't matter. Make sure he is comfortable in the pocket and can handle guys falling around his leg after the injury.

More importantly though is that he is only in his second season. He needs the reps just as much as any other young player. Another situation where if he is going to make mistakes, bad throws, bad reads, etc., that stuff needs to get sorted out in the games that don't matter. He is a young QB, not a 5 plus year veteran starter who can take limited snaps and still be good to go.
I agree! I would have him take a couple of handoffs and some short passes. I don't think he needs to take a hot though. He's gotta get used to people flying around him.
Reply/Quote
Does Burrow even have it in him to sit on a bench when he could be playing?
Reply/Quote
No
Reply/Quote
Sure. Let him play the entire first half of the first game.
To each his own... unless you belong to a political party...
Reply/Quote
Yes, even if just for a couple of series per preseason game. Gotta knock the rust off.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote