Poll: Would you vote to use public funding (tax dollars) to build the Bengals next stadium?
No. Im sick of it. Leave town if you want, im not paying for your stadium again.
Yes. Im willing to pay to keep my favorite team in the city that I live in at all costs.
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Would you publicly fund another stadium or let the franchise leave Cincinnati?
With the Rams leaving St. Louis and the Chargers leaving San Diego, it got me thinking:

Would you stare down the Bengals owner and franchise and refuse to pay for a new publicly funded stadium at the chance of them leaving town, or would you let the organization continue to suck from the public's teet and shell out the taxes for the stadium?

Honestly, im not sure I could justify paying for another stadium. Its not even so much the money or cost of it, its the principal. Its the principal behind Mike Brown being the owner, how the last stadium deal went down, how he is notoriously not willing to spend his money on things that benefits fans, and quite honestly, how we havent had a playoff win in over two decades.

To be fair, I say that now but when push comes to shove im not sure I could handle seeing the Bengals leave.

It's interesting, though. There has been a lot of backlash and people standing up against the public funding of stadiums using tax dollars and im interested to see what some of you on the boards think, even though im sure the board is a BIT bias in favor of keeping the team.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
If the next generation of the Brown family continues to run the franchise the way Mike has, what would be the point in keeping them around? Mike has proven time and time again that he couldn't care less about the city or the fans (or even the players). If his daughter turns out to be the same way, the city would be better off without them.
Reply/Quote
I've thought about this a lot lately. I think there will be one or 2 more moves in the near future, but the Bengals will not be one of them. Mike wouldn't want to pay the movers. If it came down to it though, let them walk.

The idea that we're building these stadiums for a >20 life span is utterly ridiculous to me.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2017, 04:08 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: With the Rams leaving St. Louis and the Chargers leaving San Diego, it got me thinking:

Would you stare down the Bengals owner and franchise and refuse to pay for a new publicly funded stadium at the chance of them leaving town, or would you let the organization continue to suck from the public's teet and shell out the taxes for the stadium?

Honestly, im not sure I could justify paying for another stadium. Its not even so much the money or cost of it, its the principal. Its the principal behind Mike Brown being the owner, how the last stadium deal went down, how he is notoriously not willing to spend his money on things that benefits fans, and quite honestly, how we havent had a playoff win in over two decades.

To be fair, I say that now but when push comes to shove im not sure I could handle seeing the Bengals leave.

It's interesting, though. There has been a lot of backlash and people standing up against the public funding of stadiums using tax dollars and im interested to see what some of you on the boards think, even though im sure the board is a BIT bias in favor of keeping the team.

If we want to keep a football franchise here eventually they will want a new stadium...  Now that will probly come after ownership transitition and our stadium is just over a decade old.    But i'd rather have a football team here than not.

I also don't live in Hamilton county.
Reply/Quote
Welllll. I don't live in Ohio. So I might prefer a move.

If the Bengals moved to St. Louis, I'd be at every game (I'm only three hours from there). Yes, even during four-win years, I'd still make every game I could.

Why?

Because I'm a Bengals fan. I've been a Bengals fan through the 90s, through Marvin Lewis and through the last season. Moving wouldn't really effect that for me. If they moved across the country, say San Deigo, I might have to rethink it. But as it is now, I'm lucky to make one game a year anyway, and watch most of them on TV or at a bar.

But I'm in the minority of fans who cheer for the Bengals from afar.
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2017, 04:12 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: If the next generation of the Brown family continues to run the franchise the way Mike has, what would be the point in keeping them around? Mike has proven time and time again that he couldn't care less about the city or the fans (or even the players). If his daughter turns out to be the same way, the city would be better off without them.

Thats kind of where im at. 

Mike Brown never really embraced the city of Cincinnati and you could say the same thing about the fans embracing Mike Brown. 

It just doesnt seem like Mike has any kind of loyalty to the city or has any type of commitment outside of the Bengals. Im not sure I have anything to back that up, its just the feeling that I get. 
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2017, 04:24 PM)Benton Wrote: Welllll. I don't live in Ohio. So I might prefer a move.

If the Bengals moved to St. Louis, I'd be at every game (I'm only three hours from there). Yes, even during four-win years, I'd still make every game I could.

Why?

Because I'm a Bengals fan. I've been a Bengals fan through the 90s, through Marvin Lewis and through the last season. Moving wouldn't really effect that for me. If they moved across the country, say San Deigo, I might have to rethink it. But as it is now, I'm lucky to make one game a year anyway, and watch most of them on TV or at a bar.

But I'm in the minority of fans who cheer for the Bengals from afar.

Yeah, you are a special case. No ties to the actual city, just to the team. You dont count.  Tongue
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2017, 04:22 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: If we want to keep a football franchise here eventually they will want a new stadium...  Now that will probly come after ownership transitition and our stadium is just over a decade old.    But i'd rather have a football team here than not.

I also don't live in Hamilton county.

I dont think ownership will change in the near future with the Bengals. Even when Mike dies, I think Katie takes over and it will always stay in the family. 

Regarding the stadium, a new one being built is not that far away. The current one is about 17 years old.

To put that in perspective, Lucas Oil was OPENED in 2008. That means by roughly 2006, it was agreed upon and construction was just under way. 

The RCA Dome (where the Colts formerly played) was built in 1984. So that means it had a lifespan of about 20-22 years. 
Reply/Quote
I would never vote to increase my taxes to build stadiums for billionaires. They can afford to build there own damn stadiums. I read reports that cost benefit analysis of the economic impact of these stadium deals indicate it would be more beneficial to the city if they just dumped the money out of a helicopter as it flew by overhead.
Reply/Quote
I would hate for the Bengals to leave Cincinnati. However, a new stadium paid for by the taxpayers would be another mistake. Let them walk and I'll support another team. Lord help me if it's the Browns.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2017, 04:08 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: With the Rams leaving St. Louis and the Chargers leaving San Diego, it got me thinking:

YES
Reply/Quote
I don't live there, so it's not my issue... But, I'd let them leave. Why don't they just she'll out some money to renovate that dump?
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
I don't know about Katie, but I can't see Mike ever moving the team, because there is a $550 million relocation fee he would have to pay to the other owners. The Browns seem a lot more interested in cash flow than creating capital gains.
“I’m Pacman Jones n****, what the [expletive] I got on me?”
Reply/Quote
Let 'em leave.

I'd probably just become a casual NFL fan if that were to happen, which would do well for my blood pressure.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
Cincinnati couldn't afford the kind of super stadium they are building now.

Reply/Quote
Im a generational fan .My family bonds over the bengals every year win or lose its brings us together.That being said i would hate to see them leave.i have a soon to be 3 year old daughter who is already starting to love the bengals.Im fortunate enough to live about 45 mins from pbs so i can see a game anytime.Im willing to pay the taxes to keep them around .Yes it is misery being a bengals fan but whwn that day comes,It will be that much more special when they do win it all
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2017, 04:24 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Thats kind of where im at. 

Mike Brown never really embraced the city of Cincinnati and you could say the same thing about the fans embracing Mike Brown. 

It just doesnt seem like Mike has any kind of loyalty to the city or has any type of commitment outside of the Bengals. Im not sure I have anything to back that up, its just the feeling that I get. 

Wrong week to post these sentiments. What Bengals "fan" isn't reading the front page of the website every day during the offseason? Offseason's the best time to actually be a Bengals fan!

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Brown-Family-Receives-Award-for-Dedication-to-Community-Service/1497c9db-ea11-4535-ae18-1f851e357a63

Brown Family Receives Award for Dedication to Community Service
Posted Jan 12, 2017

Bengals president Mike Brown and his family received the Pillar Award for Community Service’s Kent Clapp CEO Leadership Award.
Bengals president Mike Brown and his family received the Pillar Award for Community Service’s Kent Clapp CEO Leadership Award. The award recognizes a top executive for his or her passion toward philanthropy and honors the late Kent Clapp, CEO of Medical Mutual, who died in a 2008 plane crash.
The Bengals have a strong commitment to making a difference in the community, generating more than $1 million each year for community groups. This includes direct Bengals corporate contributions, NFL Charities, and other efforts with business partners.
“We love being a part of the Greater Cincinnati community and want to do our part to help make the community better,” said Bengals executive vice president Katie Blackburn. “We have a big platform that gives us the opportunity to reach a lot of people that others can’t reach. Our goal is to amplify the already great work so many organizations, foundations and charities are doing in the Greater Cincinnati area.”
With more than 100 organizations supported each year, it would be hard for fans to not have their lives touched by an organization supported by the Bengals. Every level of the organization — from players to owners to coaches to staff — is involved in the effort.
Reply/Quote
To answer the question...

I think Mike Brown cashed in his favors with Hamilton County and won't get away with it again. That being said, I would vote YES.

I don't live in Hamilton County but I go to games on average 6 times a season or more. I would be A-ok with an applied "use" tax at the bars, shops, restaurants, parking, etc. around the Stadium on game days if there was a way to lower the burden, while not completely removing it, on Hamilton County's average tax payer.

If they could squeeze out an extra $50 (that's high, but I just picked a good sized whole number) in taxes for each of the $65,000+ people partying and hanging around the stadium every week that would give Hamilton County around $3,000,000 per home game towards the stadium. Do the same thing (but lower) for the Reds and just put it into a "general improvement" pot. Instead of building entirely new venues they could spend big bucks every three years with renovations.

For those who think that kind of tax or money is ridiculous, go see how much it really costs to park or what taxes are in big cities with lots of things for the public to do. Hamilton County has it EASY in comparison, yet they want to have a bustling down town area. That costs $
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2017, 05:02 PM)PDub80 Wrote: Wrong week to post these sentiments. What Bengals "fan" isn't reading the front page of the website every day during the offseason? Offseason's the best time to actually be a Bengals fan!

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Brown-Family-Receives-Award-for-Dedication-to-Community-Service/1497c9db-ea11-4535-ae18-1f851e357a63

Brown Family Receives Award for Dedication to Community Service
Posted Jan 12, 2017

Bengals president Mike Brown and his family received the Pillar Award for Community Service’s Kent Clapp CEO Leadership Award.
Bengals president Mike Brown and his family received the Pillar Award for Community Service’s Kent Clapp CEO Leadership Award. The award recognizes a top executive for his or her passion toward philanthropy and honors the late Kent Clapp, CEO of Medical Mutual, who died in a 2008 plane crash.
The Bengals have a strong commitment to making a difference in the community, generating more than $1 million each year for community groups. This includes direct Bengals corporate contributions, NFL Charities, and other efforts with business partners.
“We love being a part of the Greater Cincinnati community and want to do our part to help make the community better,” said Bengals executive vice president Katie Blackburn. “We have a big platform that gives us the opportunity to reach a lot of people that others can’t reach. Our goal is to amplify the already great work so many organizations, foundations and charities are doing in the Greater Cincinnati area.”
With more than 100 organizations supported each year, it would be hard for fans to not have their lives touched by an organization supported by the Bengals. Every level of the organization — from players to owners to coaches to staff — is involved in the effort.

So the Bengals help raise $1 million/year for charity? Or less than $50 million of mostly other people's money for charity. 

While WCPO reported Hamilton County taxpayers have paid $920 million for Paul Brown Stadium. 

Seems like the Bengals are the ones receiving charity. 
Reply/Quote
GET OUT OF TOWN MIKE BROWN AND TAKE YOUR INEPT CLOWNS WITH YOU!

Reply/Quote