Poll: Would you make the trade
Yes
No
[Show Results]

Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3.25 Average
Would you trade Burrow for Watson
(01-16-2021, 07:52 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: I’ve seen you say this multiple times, so I have to be missing something. According to Spotrac, two years from now is Watsons most expensive year, as far as cap hit goes. The bonus is spread out to about five million a year, so taking the bonus away, Watson would have a cap hit of $37 million. What am I missing?

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/houston-texans/deshaun-watson-21753/

Would Cincinnati not incur that roster bonus? I can’t find info around roster bonuses and traded players.

We would not be responsible for the roster bonus:
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2021, 11:48 AM)SuperBowlBound! Wrote: I like the fact that we drafted Burrow more than traded for Watson.

I also don't want Watson because o f the childish way he is handling his situation in Houston.
I really hate the NBA because the players run the team and I do not want that for the NFL.
If that happens in the NFL Cincinnati would surely be shit out of luck.

Why should pro sports teams be allowed to be poorly run when normal business that are poorly run have high employee turnover and go out of business?  Maybe I'm biased though because a few years ago I childishly left an organization lasted about a year afterwards before going out of business and I got a job at a better place.  Damn, I'm such a diva.
Reply/Quote
I would take burrow over Watson if burrow came back the same player as before.

I'd take watson,if burrows mobility is changed
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2021, 08:39 PM)bfine32 Wrote: We would not be responsible for the roster bonus:

Curious, could you find some sort of article or provide a link that details this (future roster bonus stays on books)?

I'm not necessarily saying you're wrong, but it's been my understanding that a team that trades for a player is relieved og incurring cap hits of any already paid money, namely the signing bonus.  They then assume the rest of the contract that has yet to have been paid out.

I was under the assumption Watson's contract would like this for anyone who were take him:

2021 - 10.5 mil 
2022 - 35 mil
2023 - 37 mil
2024 - 32 mil
2025 - 32 mil

Fwiw, those are all base salaries with the exemption of 2023 that features the 17 mil roster bonus.
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2021, 11:30 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Why should pro sports teams be allowed to be poorly run when normal business that are poorly run have high employee turnover and go out of business?  Maybe I'm biased though because a few years ago I childishly left an organization lasted about a year afterwards before going out of business and I got a job at a better place.  Damn, I'm such a diva.

You need a glue guy to follow you around... Keep you in line. Right now you're talented enough that you're employer will put up with it, but as you decline.... Your antics are going to cause potential employers to steer clear.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2021, 11:22 AM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Curious, could you find some sort of article or provide a link that details this (future roster bonus stays on books)?

I'm not necessarily saying you're wrong, but it's been my understanding that a team that trades for a player is relieved og incurring cap hits of any already paid money, namely the signing bonus.  They then assume the rest of the contract that has yet to have been paid out.

I was under the assumption Watson's contract would like this for anyone who were take him:

2021 - 10.5 mil 
2022 - 35 mil
2023 - 37 mil
2024 - 32 mil
2025 - 32 mil

Fwiw, those are all base salaries with the exemption of 2023 that features the 17 mil roster bonus.
NFL Contracts Explained: Roster Bonus – Front Office Football (frontofficenfl.com)

Reply/Quote
(01-17-2021, 12:52 PM)bfine32 Wrote: NFL Contracts Explained: Roster Bonus – Front Office Football (frontofficenfl.com)

This doesn't really answer our question. We are trying to figure out who is responsible for a roster bonus in the event that a player is traded. Doing a little digging, I found David Johnson, the RB for the Texans. When he signed his contract extension with the Cardinals, it included roster bonuses for 2019, 2020, 2021. In 2019, Arizona was responsible for the roster bonus but in 2020 and 2021, it appears that Houston is responsible for the roster bonuses. Judging off that one case, it appears that roster bonuses carry over from team to team. This seems to be a really, really hard thing to confirm. I can't find any articles about this. I can only look at Spotrac judge off of the contract breakdown. 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/houston-texans/david-johnson-16810/

Here is an article from ProFootballNetwork that specifically talks about Watson and his contract situation, in the event of a trade. "In 2023, Watson is due to count $37 million against the salary cap. Of that money, $20 million of that is in salary, with a $17 million roster bonus. As it stands, that money in 2023 is only guaranteed for injury. However, if Watson is on a roster under this contract on March 22nd of 2022, that money becomes fully guaranteed. Therefore, any team trading for Deshaun Watson is essentially locking themselves into a three-year contract worth $82.54 million."

This is still confusing to me. He is set to count $37 million against the cap, roster bonus and salary included. However, they talk about a three year deal for $82.54 million. I can't find the math that works out to this number.

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/deshaun-watson-contract-breakdown-salary-bonuses/
Reply/Quote
Burrow says he likes it here. Watson would refuse to play. From the toilet to the septic tank
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2021, 02:08 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: This doesn't really answer our question. We are trying to figure out who is responsible for a roster bonus in the event that a player is traded. Doing a little digging, I found David Johnson, the RB for the Texans. When he signed his contract extension with the Cardinals, it included roster bonuses for 2019, 2020, 2021. In 2019, Arizona was responsible for the roster bonus but in 2020 and 2021, it appears that Houston is responsible for the roster bonuses. Judging off that one case, it appears that roster bonuses carry over from team to team. This seems to be a really, really hard thing to confirm. I can't find any articles about this. I can only look at Spotrac judge off of the contract breakdown. 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/houston-texans/david-johnson-16810/

Here is an article from ProFootballNetwork that specifically talks about Watson and his contract situation, in the event of a trade. "In 2023, Watson is due to count $37 million against the salary cap. Of that money, $20 million of that is in salary, with a $17 million roster bonus. As it stands, that money in 2023 is only guaranteed for injury. However, if Watson is on a roster under this contract on March 22nd of 2022, that money becomes fully guaranteed. Therefore, any team trading for Deshaun Watson is essentially locking themselves into a three-year contract worth $82.54 million."

This is still confusing to me. He is set to count $37 million against the cap, roster bonus and salary included. However, they talk about a three year deal for $82.54 million. I can't find the math that works out to this number.

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/deshaun-watson-contract-breakdown-salary-bonuses/

Everything I've read stats Roster Bonus is owed if on the roster of the team that signed him. Perhaps if a team takes him on they also take on the roster bonus, but I haven't read/heard that anywhere. Perhaps I'll try to call into one of the Sirius talk shows. 

Reply/Quote
(01-17-2021, 04:29 AM)BengalsFanRealist2855 Wrote: I would take burrow over Watson if burrow came back the same player as before.

I'd take watson,if burrows mobility is changed

The ironic thing is when many around here (some voting in this very thread) were suggesting amputation was the only hope for JB after the knee injury; DW was the example i shared to show how he may not be limited at all. 

This whole thread has a lot of folks judging with their hearts and I hope JB is one of the elite QBs in the NFL very shortly. WRS, if my livelihood was based on football personnel decisions I made; I don't think I could rule against a DW for JB trade. Now as a fan..... 

Reply/Quote
(01-16-2021, 11:30 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Why should pro sports teams be allowed to be poorly run when normal business that are poorly run have high employee turnover and go out of business?  Maybe I'm biased though because a few years ago I childishly left an organization lasted about a year afterwards before going out of business and I got a job at a better place.  Damn, I'm such a diva.

You may be a diva but you don't own a company. I happen to own my own business and I do appreciate my employees input on a lot of things. The major decisions are still mine to make. I always liked the saying "Stay in your lane" that is what players should do.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2021, 04:56 PM)SuperBowlBound! Wrote: You may be a diva but you don't own a company. I happen to own my own business and I do appreciate my employees input on a lot of things. The major decisions are still mine to make. I always liked the saying "Stay in your lane" that is what players should do.

A good leader will always get feedback from valued employees before making a decision. It allows the employee to take ownership of the choice.

I hope if we make changes next year we listen to what JB has to say and the Texans damn sure should listen to DW.

Reply/Quote
(01-17-2021, 04:56 PM)SuperBowlBound! Wrote: You may be a diva but you don't own a company. I happen to own my own business and I do appreciate my employees input on a lot of things. The major decisions are still mine to make. I always liked the saying "Stay in your lane" that is what players should do.

Unless you inherited that business from your dad and you are in the process of running it into the ground, I'm not sure why you are identifying with the owner of the Texans in this case. 
Reply/Quote
Hey, we're 50/1

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/odds-where-texans-trade-qb-235757350.html
Levi Damien
Sun, January 17, 2021, 6:57 PM

Prior to the start of the Divisional Round playoff games Sunday, the NFL sphere was abuzz with Deshaun Watson trade rumors. Watson has not been happy that the Texans lied to him about giving him a voice in who they hire as the next head coach. He has made his displeasure clear, prompting the team to try and scramble to appease him, but it appears to be too little too late.

Adam Schefter had the report Sunday morning that there was a growing sense that Watson had played his last snap for the Texans. And as of Sunday afternoon, the team has discussed potential trade partners.

Naturally, a lot of fans would like Watson to don the uniform of their favorite team. But only one will. Which team it is will depend on a few factors, not the least of which being what kind of draft capital they possess.

As usual, oddsmakers are all over it with sportsbetting.com putting out their odds for Watson’s next team. Topping the list is the Jets, followed by Watson’s purported choice, the Dolphins. The Raiders land in a tie for 10th with 12/1 odds.

- ADVERTISEMENT -

Deshaun Watson next team
New York Jets 2/1
Miami Dolphins 3/1
Chicago Bears 4/1
Denver Broncos 5/1
Indianapolis Colts 8/1
New England Patriots 8/1
Philadelphia Eagles 10/1
Carolina Panthers 12/1
Washington Football Team 12/1
Detroit Lions 12/1
Las Vegas Raiders 12/1
New Orleans Saints 15/1
Jacksonville Jaguars 15/1
San Francisco 49ers 20/1
Dallas Cowboys 20/1
Los Angeles Rams 30/1
Minnesota Vikings 30/1
Pittsburgh Steelers 30/1
Atlanta Falcons 30/1
New York Giants 30/1
Tennessee Titans 40/1
Cleveland Browns 40/1
Los Angeles Chargers 50/1
Cincinnati Bengals 50/1
Tampa Bay Buccaneers 50/1
Arizona Cardinals 70/1
Baltimore Ravens 70/1
Buffalo Bills 100/1
Seattle Seahawks 100/1
Green Bay Packers 200/1
Kansas City Chiefs 300/1

Reply/Quote
If it's straight up, I would say Sure.
But we know it will cost more than just a swapping of QB's.

And I'm guessing we will have to give up a 1st as well.
That's a bit to much for me, if we end up with Sewell or Chase, then no way I'd make that trade.

Burrow is just a few steps back from Watson's current level of productivity, so my answer for the long term of the Bengals is "NO".
Reply/Quote
The Texans are apparently interviewing Bieniemy. If they hire him I could see Watson dropping the trade demands.

Reply/Quote
(01-18-2021, 04:54 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: The Texans are apparently interviewing Bieniemy. If they hire him I could see Watson dropping the trade demands.

This is what I don't get.
They didn't hire a HC, they hired a GM. DW still can have a say in the HC position hiring. 

But to pass up on a guy for GM that was a key part of the 12 year Dynasty (from '08-'20) the Pats had is hard to do. I don't care who the others were that they passed on, none have Caserio's level of a pedigree. 

Sh*t, I'd be pretty excited if I was him, first thing after the hiring was announce, be on the phone asking if he could pass along his list of HC candidates so I can review them, also be there when you interview (on zoom) and get a feel for them as well, so you can have my input about each one. Not that I expect you to choose the one I want, but let's get on on the same page and communicate effectively with each other.
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2021, 05:09 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: This is what I don't get.
They didn't hire a HC, they hired a GM. DW still can have a say in the HC position hiring. 

But to pass up on a guy for GM that was a key part of the 12 year Dynasty (from '08-'20) the Pats had is hard to do. I don't care who the others were that they passed on, none have Caserio's level of a pedigree. 

Sh*t, I'd be pretty excited if I was him, first thing after the hiring was announce, be on the phone asking if he could pass along his list of HC candidates so I can review them, also be there when you interview (on zoom) and get a feel for them as well, so you can have my input about each one. Not that I expect you to choose the one I want, but let's get on on the same page and communicate effectively with each other.

I think he was more upset that the Texans were the only team with an opening that didn't request an interview with Bienemy over KC's bye week. 

Reply/Quote
(01-15-2021, 02:32 PM)MasonDT70 Wrote: Watson id say would compare more to a Rodgers or wilson, 2 future 1st ballot HoF qbs. Either way those are all super bowl winning qbs. A lot of posters are undervaluing Watson, and I'm in no way saying burrow is bad, overvaluing burrow a rookie qb who hasn't even played 1 full season. 

Yes, I agree that Watson is a good QB and has some skills that are just extremely rare and those skills compare more to Rodgers
or Wilson but Burrow also compares to those guys as well. I mean, Burrow has escapability too. He is not only accurate like Brady,
Peyton or Brees but he can also run. I wouldn't trade Burrow for anyone, I honestly think he is the next great QB.

Watson is damn good but I don't think he will be great.
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2021, 05:55 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I think he was more upset that the Texans were the only team with an opening that didn't request an interview with Bienemy over KC's bye week. 

And Bienemy's in a tricky spot.

If you aren't an insider at KC, then you are not really sure of how in-depth he is at his position.

I believe he doesn't call the plays right? So what exactly does he do?

They've had some really talented RB's over the years, so just how much did he play in developing them? 
Again, insider things we don't know so we'd have to be careful just how much stock you put into Bienemy's abilities.

Also Bienemy's on record for saying he's waiting for that "perfect Job". Houston doesn't exactly fit that criteria. With their cap issues that the will have and everything else going on there, to me they are a trending down team and I think he would turn that offer down anyways. THat's me though.
Reply/Quote