no
31.25%
5 31.25%
Total 16 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Would you vote for a Muslim for POTUS?
(11-08-2015, 11:12 AM)GodHatesBengals Wrote: The purpose of the OP is right there in the title of the thread. If you feel it has painted you as bigoted, then perhaps you shouldn't have responded. It's important to remember that you don't have to reply to anything at all on this board. 

I don't feel painted as a bigot, as I said I would vote for a Muslim and provided the added information that I would do so because many of the beliefs of his faith mirror my own. I simply mentioned I found it ironic that every liberal was willingly pledging their support. Obviously I underestimated their awesomeness.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(11-08-2015, 06:08 AM)fredtoast Wrote: The premise is pretty easy to understand for most people.

We have had Christian Presidents who have been able to separate their religious beliefs from their official government policy on issues like abortion and same sex marraige.  However some people don't believe Muslims are capable of doing this.  They believe that, unlike some Christians, ALL Muslims are fanatically devoted to their religious beliefs.  These are the people who stereotype ALL Muslims as violent extremists.

Get it now?

(11-08-2015, 10:45 AM)bfine32 Wrote: So the purpose of the OP was.....
Rolleyes
(11-08-2015, 11:16 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Oh, I went back and read Fred's "reason". Seems he was trying to determine which board members were "open-minded" enough to be willing to vote for a POTUS despite his religious beliefs and wanted to ensures folk's votes were public. Because he definitely didn't want to have a discussion about how a Muslim's beliefs could influence his policies as President.

Guess I'm off base. I'll work on the comprehension think that you suggest I am lacking. Thanks for the advice.

See...you did understand.  Maybe you want to have a different discussion?

Try clicking this button:

[Image: Post.jpg]

Keep trying.  We're all hoping you can do better.   Rock On
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(11-08-2015, 11:22 AM)GMDino Wrote: Rolleyes

See...you did understand.  Maybe you want to have a different discussion?

Try clicking this button:

[Image: Post.jpg]

Keep trying.  We're all hoping you can do better.   Rock On

Thanks. Maybe I'll start a new thread to discuss how a Muslim Presidential candidate's beliefs might influence his policies; cause this is obviously no place for such subject matter. Or perhaps start one with a poll and ask: Would you vote for a Presidential candidate if his/her platform and policies were in those that you supported; that should get some varied responses.

BTW, update your sig. That's 8-0 boss.

(11-07-2015, 10:10 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Do you  think that a reformation is a good thing?

You could certainly benefit from it.
(11-07-2015, 10:13 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: these guys are the kings of loaded questions.   Then they get mad when you answer with a complete thought then flip it on them.  Thats when the insults and foul language begin.

The only person you "flip it on" was yourself.  First, you wrote you would vote for a Muslim candidate depending upon his policies.  Second, you stated being a Muslim and being a member of ISIS are one and the same.  You, of all people, certainly wouldn't vote for an ISIS member which proves they AREN"T one and the same.  The foul language begins when you do your best impression of stupidity.
(11-08-2015, 11:32 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Thanks. Maybe I'll start a new thread to discuss how a Muslim Presidential candidate's beliefs might influence his policies; cause this is obviously no place for such subject matter. Or perhaps start one with a poll and ask: Would you vote for a Presidential candidate if his/her platform and policies were in those that you supported; that should get some varied responses.

BTW, update your sig. That's 8-0 boss.

[Image: tumblr_mfprkgiMu91r21swvo1_400.gif]
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(11-07-2015, 10:08 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Well then I guess I'm missing the point of the OP. I guess he should have just asked: "Would you vote for a candidate that supported everything you do?"
Seems the obvious debate is to consider the beliefs of the Muslim faith. Apparently there was another purpose for the OP.

I think people have unanimously stated they would vote for a Muslim candidate based upon the candidate's political beliefs and if they felt the candidate wouldn't legislate their personal religious beliefs.  Since that point, you have painted all Muslims with a broad brush as religious zealots who even you wouldn't vote for despite your claim you would.  Then you claim you're surprised liberals would support the type of candidate they clearly indicated they wouldn't support.  Cute trick.
(11-07-2015, 10:33 PM)masterpanthera_t Wrote: Saying that "the Islamic religion is very oppressive" is like saying that the Christian religion is oppressive.  There are oppressive Muslims, as there are oppressive Christians.  There are moderate Muslims and even Muslims who wouldn't call for gays to be killed or women to be treated as lesser people.  I wouldn't call Christianity an oppressive religion anymore than I would Islam.  That doesn't mean that throughout the world there isn't a wide gamut of people of many religions who can fall under different degrees of oppressiveness.   There are Christians in Africa who murder gays and publicly intimidate and incite violence in many ways against many things.  There are black Muslims in America who would neither mistreat women nor be intimidating toward gays (although I'm sure some of them do exist who would do those things). It would be unfair to many Muslims to be painted with such a broad brush.  There are many Muslim countries where the culture is the issue when it comes to how we perceive their flaws, not really the religion.

As far as klansmen for President:
Unless there's a wide spectrum of "klanism" that maybe I'm not aware of, are we not talking about a fairly homogeneous group with the same set of beliefs?  Is it even possible to be a klan member and have beliefs like all Americans are equal, liberty and justice for all, etc.?  I am not sure how someone can claim to be a klan member and still be consistent with equality for everyone.  Hypothetically speaking it would be interesting to see such a thing exist, but that's enough of this funny exercise.

Therefore, I would judge the candidate on the merit of his beliefs, in the sense of how he carries them in his actions, especially considering that many religions have an umbrella of beliefs that are picked and chosen by their believers.

Reading a post which makes this sense in these parts is like spotting Big Foot riding a unicorn.
(11-08-2015, 12:32 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Muslim leadership would jail and/or punish everything holy to the liberals.  

Which in itself is kinda funny since they are the biggest defenders.

I think the radical Islamic Jihadists would be "the biggest defenders" compared to liberals, but no reason to drag logic and reason into your stereotypes.
(11-08-2015, 11:19 AM)bfine32 Wrote: I don't feel painted as a bigot, as I said I would vote for a Muslim and provided the added information that I would do so because many of the beliefs of his faith mirror my own. I simply mentioned I found it ironic that every liberal was willingly pledging their support. Obviously I underestimated their awesomeness.

That's not true at all.  Even Lucie wrote it would depend upon the candidate's policies which mirrored what "every liberal" stated as well. 
(11-08-2015, 11:19 AM)bfine32 Wrote: I don't feel painted as a bigot, as I said I would vote for a Muslim and provided the added information that I would do so because many of the beliefs of his faith mirror my own.

That's  interesting, didn't realize you felt that way.
(11-08-2015, 11:19 AM)bfine32 Wrote: I don't feel painted as a bigot, as I said I would vote for a Muslim and provided the added information that I would do so because many of the beliefs of his faith mirror my own. I simply mentioned I found it ironic that every liberal was willingly pledging their support. Obviously I underestimated their awesomeness.

Well my position is very simple: all religion is laughable. The less somebody's political positions mirror their preferred Iron Age mythology, the more likely I am to be willing to vote for them.

The liberals here didn't "pledge" to anything, other than that they wouldn't hold a Muslim's religious beliefs against him anymore than they hold, say, Obama's Christianity against him. If the Muslim was an ISIS member, or if the Christian was a Klansman, it'd be a different story. Luckily not all Muslims and Christians are terrorists.

This is only difficult for you and one other user to understand BTW.
(11-08-2015, 12:59 PM)RICHMONDBENGAL_07 Wrote: That's  interesting, didn't realize you felt that way.

Why not, the faiths are exactly the same at the base level; belief in God. We just differ on the way to get there, but when you strip away all the rhetoric all that he requires is for you to believe in him.

I am obviously in the minority as I think such a candidate's religious beliefs may influence his outlook on policy. Folks here are pretty much saying the same thing Ben Carson said when he said "as long as one's faith fits within the realm of America and consistent with the Constitution, then no problem." Of course Ben made the PC mistake of taking a follow up question about the Muslim faith to mean that the person's faith would influence his policy.

(11-08-2015, 01:03 PM)GodHatesBengals Wrote: Well my position is very simple: all religion is laughable. The less somebody's political positions mirror their preferred Iron Age mythology, the more likely I am to be willing to vote for them.

The liberals here didn't "pledge" to anything, other than that they wouldn't hold a Muslim's religious beliefs against him anymore than they hold, say, Obama's Christianity against him. If the Muslim was an ISIS member, or if the Christian was a Klansman, it'd be a different story. Luckily not all Muslims and Christians are terrorists.

This is only difficult for you and one other user to understand BTW.

As I said: I underestimated your guy's awesomeness.

(11-08-2015, 11:19 AM)bfine32 Wrote: I simply mentioned I found it ironic that every liberal was willingly pledging their support. Obviously I underestimated their awesomeness.

I can't speak for them, though I know you consider me one, but I am going to suggest that you might find it ironic because you're under the assumption that their past opposition to Christian politicians is because of the fact that they're Christian when the reality is they only oppose the policy decisions that are based legislating religion.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(11-08-2015, 01:12 PM)bfine32 Wrote: As I said: I underestimated your guy's awesomeness.

Or overestimated your cleverness.
(11-08-2015, 01:13 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: I can't speak for them, though I know you consider me one, but I am going to suggest that you might find it ironic because you're under the assumption that their past opposition to Christian politicians is because of the fact that they're Christian when the reality is they only oppose the policy decisions that are based legislating religion.

Nope, I was under the assumption that the person's beliefs might have some weight in the decision. Outside of that I see no reason for the thread.

WTS, I am done with the back and forth. All I said was "I found it ironic the every liberal said they would vote for a Muslim" and I think if they are being totally honest (and despite their awesomeness) the candidate's religious beliefs would have an impact on their decision making process regardless what candidate promised to do.

(11-07-2015, 01:52 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Would you ever vote for a Muslim for President?

Would he have to jump through any hoops or disavow his religion before you would vote for him?

Already did. Twice. But it is a secret. SHHHHHH!
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
(11-08-2015, 01:10 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I am obviously in the minority as I think such a candidate's religious beliefs may influence his outlook on policy.

Are you stating every Christian president has allowed his religious beliefs to influence his policy?  Or are you stating Christian candidates can separate Church and State, but Muslim candidates cannot?  Of course not, you never state anything. 

The people who stated they would vote for a Muslim candidate have done so with the provision the candidate wouldn't legislate their religious beliefs on others which is the same consideration they give to Christians or candidates of any faith.
(11-08-2015, 01:19 PM)bfine32 Wrote: WTS, I am done with the back and forth.

You claimed the same thing about this forum.  Bye, Felicia.