Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Yeah, I'm going there...
(07-22-2018, 03:46 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: I'm predicting that the Bengals finally get their 1st playoff win in almost 3 decades.

Anyone who's ever read any of my posts during 6+ years in this community knows that I don't have a lot of confidence in Marvin Lewis or his coaching staffs when it comes to high pressure games and situations. However, I honestly feel like that is going to change this year. 

I think Lazor is going to truly put his stamp on this offense, and really scheme to player's strengths and individual skill sets.

I think the addition of Pollack is going to pay huge dividends because his style challenges lineman to be aggressive and extremely physical, and I think they are going to feed off that energy and as the year progresses...will be flat out kicking some ass.

Alex Van Pelt is another new addition to the staff that is going to be getting major kudos at year's end. Having worked closely with McCarthy / Rodgers, as well as a few years with Tom Clements...I think he brings a lot of knowledge to the table, and Andy will benefit in a big way.

I like the hiring of Austin as DC as well, and think he could reach a completely different level in his coaching career here in Cincy, much like Zimmer achieved after his solid run in Dallas and rocky year in Atlanta.

I think these coaches all help Marvin to elevate his own game. Marvin has been here for a long damn time, and I think if he's was brutally honest, he would admit that even he needs a renewed fire lit under his ass. 

As for the players, I feel like Andy and AJ are both going to have HUGE years on offense. I also think that young guys like Kroft, Mixon and Ross are going to have a very big impact as the year goes on.

On defense, I like that fact that the Bengals seem to once again be developing a potentially havoc-wrecking d-line rotation with the additions over the past couple of years. If both Atkins and Dunlap can maintain their high level of play, this group is going to be very interesting to watch. 

I also feel like the secondary is going to have a big year under Austin's scheme. I think WJIII cements himself as a top 5 corner in the NFL, and Jessie Bates will have an important impact during the second half of the season. 

All in all, I just feel like there's something special brewing this season. There's a good mixture of established players, and some potentially very exciting young players, as well as new voices / perspectives on the staff. Of course, there are a few if's and question marks involved, but what team doesn't have those right now? 

I just really believe that if this team can stay relatively healthy...that this will finally be the year that we finally see a playoff win. I could wind up looking like a complete fool for making this prediction, but it's a prediction I haven't made since 2005 and I'm feeling really confident that it's going to happen.

Let me know if you agree, or if you think I'm bonkers.  Smirk

Hey Holic, i usually am bonkers with my positivism...

I just cannot live my life without that positive wire running to my battery.

But as you know i feel exactly the same as you.

There is something going on here that is different from the past.

We go on and once we win that first one, who knows how far we go....
Reply/Quote
(07-22-2018, 04:23 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I did not read all pf the long posts.

I predict the bengals will win a playoff game based strictly on statistical probabilities.  Marvin is such an anomaly.  No coach has never been good enough to make it to the playoffs as often as Marvin without winning a single one.  

So I believe that the odds are on our side.
Let the Hunger Games begin!
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-22-2018, 03:46 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: I'm predicting that the Bengals finally get their 1st playoff win in almost 3 decades.

Anyone who's ever read any of my posts during 6+ years in this community knows that I don't have a lot of confidence in Marvin Lewis or his coaching staffs when it comes to high pressure games and situations. However, I honestly feel like that is going to change this year. 

I think Lazor is going to truly put his stamp on this offense, and really scheme to player's strengths and individual skill sets.

I think the addition of Pollack is going to pay huge dividends because his style challenges lineman to be aggressive and extremely physical, and I think they are going to feed off that energy and as the year progresses...will be flat out kicking some ass.

Alex Van Pelt is another new addition to the staff that is going to be getting major kudos at year's end. Having worked closely with McCarthy / Rodgers, as well as a few years with Tom Clements...I think he brings a lot of knowledge to the table, and Andy will benefit in a big way.

I like the hiring of Austin as DC as well, and think he could reach a completely different level in his coaching career here in Cincy, much like Zimmer achieved after his solid run in Dallas and rocky year in Atlanta.

I think these coaches all help Marvin to elevate his own game. Marvin has been here for a long damn time, and I think if he's was brutally honest, he would admit that even he needs a renewed fire lit under his ass. 

As for the players, I feel like Andy and AJ are both going to have HUGE years on offense. I also think that young guys like Kroft, Mixon and Ross are going to have a very big impact as the year goes on.

On defense, I like that fact that the Bengals seem to once again be developing a potentially havoc-wrecking d-line rotation with the additions over the past couple of years. If both Atkins and Dunlap can maintain their high level of play, this group is going to be very interesting to watch. 

I also feel like the secondary is going to have a big year under Austin's scheme. I think WJIII cements himself as a top 5 corner in the NFL, and Jessie Bates will have an important impact during the second half of the season. 

All in all, I just feel like there's something special brewing this season. There's a good mixture of established players, and some potentially very exciting young players, as well as new voices / perspectives on the staff. Of course, there are a few if's and question marks involved, but what team doesn't have those right now? 

I just really believe that if this team can stay relatively healthy...that this will finally be the year that we finally see a playoff win. I could wind up looking like a complete fool for making this prediction, but it's a prediction I haven't made since 2005 and I'm feeling really confident that it's going to happen.

Let me know if you agree, or if you think I'm bonkers.  Smirk
Great post Holic.   I'm on board.  If we stay healthy and the big uglies step up, I think this year could be special.

I salute your optimism!
Reply/Quote
There are several things to be optimistic about this year. I think that if the team can get past the annual letdown of not having their star LB for the first 4 games, they could make the playoffs. Him letting his teammates down again could be the deciding factor.
Reply/Quote
I would venture to guess there is a lot of excitement around this coming season, not only on this board, but in the locker room. Andy has to be excited to have Price in front of him and Glenn on his blind side. AJ has to be excited to have Ross stretching the field for him. The battle royal to make the roster at DE, the new coaches, the new schemes..... I think things are a buzzing. Which means one thing, to keep this excitement going, they have to come out fast and win right away. An opening 3 or 4 game losing streak will kill this team. Burfict being gone 3 games definitely does not help, but if they can come out and win right away, I think the skies the limit for this team.....
Reply/Quote
With you 100%, and good to hear from you.

My only reservation is the DC. I just saw so little from Austin's unit, and other than the Packers, it wasn't like their division was like the NFC South. Was it talent? Was it him? At least he has the "generate a lot of turnovers" feather in his cap.

But this team has addressed some huge issues, as you mention, from players to coaches and they aren't relying on rookies to come in and start with the exception of the center, Billy Price. I hope Bates can get on the field, but we have experienced players there and they will get a shot under the new DC. Bates could absolutely be a contributor on passing downs/nickel, dime, etc packages as he tracks the ball in the air so well (something our INT-challenged secondary has not done in the past...except I think WJIII is a star in the making).

Piggy and Flacco are old and it is all about winning your division. The Bengals might FINALLY have a "punch first" mentality with a better rushing attack and coaching on offense. The defense will undoubtedly struggle early without Burfict, but if they can control the possessions with a strong rushing attack, the defense should be able to keep them in it and in position to win.

My prediction is 11-5, in a tie with pitt, and the tie-breaker will go to the Bengals.

Who F**^$ Dey!
Reply/Quote
(07-23-2018, 08:47 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I would venture to guess there is a lot of excitement around this coming season, not only on this board, but in the locker room. Andy has to be excited to have Price in front of him and Glenn on his blind side. AJ has to be excited to have Ross stretching the field for him. The battle royal to make the roster at DE, the new coaches, the new schemes..... I think things are a buzzing. Which means one thing, to keep this excitement going, they have to come out fast and win right away. An opening 3 or 4 game losing streak will kill this team. Burfict being gone 3 games definitely does not help, but if they can come out and win right away, I think the skies the limit for this team.....

I think it is a bit unrealistic to think this O-line is going to just gel immediately with the new pieces.

I will be patient early with a couple losses, bet we start out 2-2 or 3-1 then get things going.

(07-23-2018, 08:51 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: With you 100%, and good to hear from you.

My only reservation is the DC.  I just saw so little from Austin's unit, and other than the Packers, it wasn't like their division was like the NFC South.  Was it talent?  Was it him?  At least he has the "generate a lot of turnovers" feather in his cap.  

But this team has addressed some huge issues, as you mention, from players to coaches and they aren't relying on rookies to come in and start with the exception of the center, Billy Price.  I hope Bates can get on the field, but we have experienced players there and they will get a shot under the new DC.  Bates could absolutely be a contributor on passing downs/nickel, dime, etc packages as he tracks the ball in the air so well (something our INT-challenged secondary has not done in the past...except I think WJIII is a star in the making).

Piggy and Flacco are old and it is all about winning your division.  The Bengals might FINALLY have a "punch first" mentality with a better rushing attack and coaching on offense.  The defense will undoubtedly struggle early without Burfict, but if they can control the possessions with a strong rushing attack, the defense should be able to keep them in it and in position to win.

My prediction is 11-5, in a tie with pitt, and the tie-breaker will go to the Bengals.  

Who F**^$ Dey!

Austin didn't have nearly as talented of a Defense as this one, he had like Ansah and that is about it.

So i am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt unless this Defense still cannot stop the run.

But with a decent O-line keeping them fresh we should be much better in this aspect this year.

12-4 is my prediction, once we get our chemistry down we will be tough.
Reply/Quote
(07-23-2018, 01:43 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I think it is a bit unrealistic to think this O-line is going to just gel immediately with the new pieces.

All depends on who's playing. Glenn and Boling will gel immediately, since they played together in college. Then you have Price at Center. On the right side as of now it's FIsher at Tackle and Westerman (my guess) at guard, and they have played together. It's not all that new....
Reply/Quote
(07-23-2018, 01:46 PM)Sled21 Wrote: All depends on who's playing. Glenn and Boling will gel immediately, since they played together in college. Then you have Price at Center. On the right side as of now it's FIsher at Tackle and Westerman (my guess) at guard, and they have played together. It's not all that new....

Might gel faster than i thought now that i think about it.

Great points Sled. Price is no dummy either and is a natural leader, he sure doesn't speak like a rookie that is for sure.

Redmond honestly might be that thought at RT if Fisher and Hart don't cut it. That is a big mauling sumbitch.

Have always been impressed by Westerman, thought he was a great pick.
Reply/Quote
I don't like to get my hopes up because the bengals just keep kicking me in the nuts. So I go into the season with a lets see what happens and hope they surprise me. I know if I go into the season with we are going to win a playoff game. they may get there but Not show up for the game. As in the last 5 play off games.

Lets go bengals, who-dey. Counting down the days until Indy.
Reply/Quote
The 2017 Cincinnati Bengals finished 7-9 with a horrible offensive line, two different offensive coordinators, without Tyler Eifert, and a porous defense.

2018 will be much better.
Reply/Quote
(07-25-2018, 11:21 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: The 2017 Cincinnati Bengals finished 7-9 with a horrible offensive line, two different offensive coordinators, without Tyler Eifert, and a porous defense.

:andy:
Reply/Quote
I'm in the playoff win camp. I feel good about this season and better than I have for a while. Certainly addressing needs in FA and the draft was ginormous this year. New coaches to replace coaches who werent getting it done. I love that. That is what good teams do.

I've had my complaints about Marvin and always will, but he has also gotten my props when he's deserved it. I remember what we were before him and he did usher in big change. That being said he definitely needs a playoff win and more, to continue coaching much longer. He definitely had his role in all of our losses, but I for one feel bad for Marvin in one playoff loss above all others...... When he was about to beat the Stealers with his backup QB and then goofball fumbled a play that should've never been fumbled, followed by a defensive meltdown and the refs blowing it anyway to give the game away. I dont see that loss as on Marvin very much. The rest of them sure, but not that one. He had us ready to play that day and stupid mistakes cost the team a win. Dalton was having a great season and got hurt, and we went there with a backup against the Steelers in the playoffs and should've won. It was utter bullshiz. I know what we all felt like when the miracle meltdown happened, and I dont doubt that Marvin was feeling as bad or even worse. All we had to do was run the clock out, kick an easy FG and get the F out. Its payback time...

Two years removed from being a playoff team every year. We got some hurt folks back, new coaches and a good bit of new players who look to be upgrades. I'm down. We're primed to take the league by surprise this year no doubt.
Reply/Quote
(07-25-2018, 04:03 PM)bengaloo Wrote: I'm in the playoff win camp. I feel good about this season and better than I have for a while. Certainly addressing needs in FA and the draft was ginormous this year. New coaches to replace coaches who werent getting it done. I love that. That is what good teams do.

I've had my complaints about Marvin and always will, but he has also gotten my props when he's deserved it. I remember what we were before him and he did usher in big change. That being said he definitely needs a playoff win and more, to continue coaching much longer. He definitely had his role in all of our losses, but I for one feel bad for Marvin in one playoff loss above all others...... When he was about to beat the Stealers with his backup QB and then goofball fumbled a play that should've never been fumbled, followed by a defensive meltdown and the refs blowing it anyway to give the game away. I dont see that loss as on Marvin very much. The rest of them sure, but not that one. He had us ready to play that day and stupid mistakes cost the team a win. Dalton was having a great season and got hurt, and we went there with a backup against the Steelers in the playoffs and should've won. It was utter bullshiz. I know what we all felt like when the miracle meltdown happened, and I dont doubt that Marvin was feeling as bad or even worse. All we had to do was run the clock out, kick an easy FG and get the F out. Its payback time...

Two years removed from being a playoff team every year. We got some hurt folks back, new coaches and a good bit of new players who look to be upgrades. I'm down. We're primed to take the league by surprise this year no doubt.

Nice post Bengaloo. Could see us actually winning a Playoff game with an aggressive front. I mean we might of beat
the Texans too if our O-line was trying to push JJ Watt backwards instead of playing so passive. If someone was pushing
him back he wouldn't of been able to pick that ball off and run it in for a TD...
Reply/Quote
I can see it.

If there's some locker room momentum with the new staff, it could be a perfect situation for us: not a stellar outlook for the rest of the North, a good mix of veterans and new talent and a decent schedule.

Hopefully, with that off his back, Marvin Lewis can finally retire and county his money on a beach somewhere.
Reply/Quote
(07-25-2018, 11:21 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: The 2017 Cincinnati Bengals finished 7-9 with a horrible offensive line, two different offensive coordinators, without Tyler Eifert, and a porous defense.

I can totally get behind this post, but a PLAYOFF WIN?

[Image: 0ap3000000882302_video_cp.jpg]
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
I'm going full blown Missouri on this one - "Show Me"
Reply/Quote
We're, at best, an 8-8 team. Hate to break it to you,
But there's too many ifs and our schduele is too rough (NFC south and AFC west, a desperate Baltimore team, a rising Cleveland team, and....Pittsburgh,)

I'm just going to enjoy Marvin and Andys last ride. Should be fun to watch nonetheless.
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2018, 04:15 PM)THE Bigzoman Wrote: We're, at best, an 8-8 team. Hate to break it to you,
But there's too many ifs and our schduele is too rough (NFC south and AFC west, a desperate Baltimore team, a rising Cleveland team, and....Pittsburgh,)

I'm just going to enjoy Marvin and Andys last ride. Should be fun to watch nonetheless.

They won 7 games last year (and took GB to OT) with a terrible Oline, and had to start the season with an OC that shouldn’t even be calling plays for high school games. A 1 win improvement seems VERY pessimistic considering all the changes (Glenn, Price, Brown, Austin, Pollack, etc).

Reply/Quote
Lucy’s ready. Has the laces out and everything. This time Charlie will kick it. This time.
Reply/Quote