Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Your Ideal O-line Scenario
What is your ideal scenario for addressing the line and trying to keep it semi reasonable in terms of money and players?

My personal ideal scenario would look something like this:

Release Collins now and save the 4.8m.

Sign Jermaine Eluemunor to start at RT.
Sign Fleming or Beachum as the swing tackle.
Sign Wes Schweitzer. He can play all 3 interior spots, has starting experience and and has usually been solid in the run and pass game, even though he had a down year this past season in Washington. A solid depth piece and insurance policy if you can get him in the 2.5-3m range. 

Draft Anton Harrison if he's still there at 28. He doesn't need to start this year, but can if needed at either T spot. 

Williams
Volson
Karras
Cappa
Eluemunor

Harrison
Fleming or Beachum
Schweitzer
Carman

This scenario revamps the line as a whole for about 6m this year, when you deduct the Collins savings...adding a RT who can also play both G spots, a competent veteran swing tackle, an interior lineman who can play 3 spots and the LT of the future who can start this year if needed. Upgrades the depth, versatility and provides insurance at every position. And you can still keep Carman around just in case. [Image: s0256.gif]
Reply/Quote
1) Draft Darnell Wright at #28.
2) Draft at least one more IOL.
3) Sign a cheap vet IOL.

Starters: Williams, Volson, Karras, Cappa, Wright
Reserves: Carman, Vet OG, Hill, Pick, Adeniji
Collins on IR/PUP to start.
Waive Smith or move to PS.
Reply/Quote
Fire Frank Pollard. Hire a good oline coach
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2023, 12:10 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Fire Frank Pollard. Hire a good oline coach

Ha ha I’d trade for Detroits #18 and swap plus give them our second. With that pick you are assured of a great OT or an excellent TE.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(03-12-2023, 12:10 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Fire Frank Pollard. Hire a good oline coach

I'm actually fine with that. Never been a Pollack fan.
Reply/Quote
I dunno what to do. But Jonah needs his walking papers. He is who is he is at this point. And with his injuries, will be lucky if he is as good as he was last season. Which is scary.
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2023, 12:17 AM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Ha ha I’d trade for Detroits #18 and swap plus give them our second. With that pick you are assured of a great OT or an excellent TE.

(03-12-2023, 12:19 AM)Bengalholic Wrote: I'm actually fine with that. Never been a Pollack fan.

I realized my post was destructive rather than constructive. So let me expound. 

Fire Pollack and bring in the current Philly assistant oline coach Roy Istvan.

Release LC and sign Kaleb McGary

Select John Michael Schmiz at #28

Move Karras to LG
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Draft Anton Harrison (LT), trade up in 2nd, get Wright/Mauch (RT).
Then we won't have to worry much about it for the next year.
Next years focus will need to be on DL.
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2023, 02:51 AM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Draft Anton Harrison (LT), trade up in 2nd, get Wright/Mauch (RT).
Then we won't have to worry much about it for the next year.
Next years focus will need to be on DL.

Don’t think we can get Harrison at 29. Definitely gonna be tough to get Wright in round 2.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
Carman is the enigma..whether or not we can trust him to eventually replace Jonah. Without seeing how FA plays out, we need more bodies for depth and the injury factors that occur. We need a RT regardless. So for now I'm thinking Dawand Jones in round 1, and Michael Bergeron in round 2. That gives us 3 to compete for 2 spots when Jonah likely leaves.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2023, 10:06 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: What is your ideal scenario for addressing the line and trying to keep it semi reasonable in terms of money and players?

Sign Wes Schweitzer. He can play all 3 interior spots, has starting experience and and has usually been solid in the run and pass game, even though he had a down year this past season in Washington. A solid depth piece and insurance policy if you can get him in the 2.5-3m range. 

Draft Anton Harrison if he's still there at 28. He doesn't need to start this year, but can if needed at either T spot. 

Williams
Volson
Karras
Cappa
Eluemunor

Harrison
Fleming or Beachum
Schweitzer
Carman

This scenario revamps the line as a whole for about 6m this year, when you deduct the Collins savings...adding a RT who can also play both G spots, a competent veteran swing tackle, an interior lineman who can play 3 spots and the LT of the future who can start this year if needed. Upgrades the depth, versatility and provides insurance at every position. And you can still keep Carman around just in case. [Image: s0256.gif]

I would do backflips if they pulled off something like this.  And I would be willing to part ways with the likes of Mixon and Pratt to make it happen.  It is, without a doubt, the ONLY thing that has kept Cincy from winning two Super Bowls. 
Reply/Quote
Unrealistic but ideal given the landscape of the guys available this year:
- Sign Mike McGlinchey this coming week to a 3-year deal
- Release Collins (once able)
- Sign Will Hernandez to be swing OG who can push Volson for starting reps
- Add one OT in the draft early or sign George Fant in FA to be swing OT.

Realistic (IMO) based on cap space and Bengals not planning to add any big FAs:
- Same as above only Bengals keep Collins and don't pursue McGlinchey
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-12-2023, 12:55 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Unrealistic but ideal given the landscape of the guys available this year:
- Sign Mike McGlinchey this coming week to a 3-year deal
- Release Collins (once able)
- Sign Will Hernandez to be swing OG who can push Volson for starting reps
- Add one OT in the draft early or sign George Fant in FA to be swing OT.

Realistic (IMO) based on cap space and Bengals not planning to add any big FAs:
- Same as above only Bengals keep Collins and don't pursue McGlinchey

McGlinchey is not that good in pass protection.  He scores high in PFF grades because he is a great run blocker.  I dont think he would help this team as much as a good pass protecting RT
Reply/Quote
Ideally Carman works out to consistently be the punishing dominant player we’ve seen glimpses of, at either T spot. From there, it seems like we have good, reasonably attainable options to have a reliable, deep OL room.

Just don’t ask me how we get there.
Go Benton Panthers!!
Reply/Quote
If we could get rid of Jonah I would do it and sign Taylor Lewan for LT. Yes Lewan has been injured but Jonah Williams has only played 1 season where he wasnt injured himself so if Im crossing my fingers the LT stays healthy, I at least want an elite LT out there like Lewan. Both have injuries history but Lewan is much much better when healthy. Carman is the backup

Collins wont be ready at RT so we need someone other than Adeniji. Get rid of Collins and sign Eluemunor.

To back up both RT and LT spots sign Kelvin Beachum. He is older but is still playing at a high level and he can play both LT and RT positions. He is very good in pass protection and he should come cheap because of his age. I would rather have Beachum at 34 years old backing up the RT position than Adeniji. Beachum can get it done, Adeniji cant.

LT Lewan
LG Volson
C Karras
RG Cappa
RT Eluemunor
Reply/Quote
Under-the-Radar Trade Candidate RT Rob Havenstein (Rams). LAR is looking to tear it down and recover some picks, and Taylor knows him from his time there. Rams would eat about $7.2M in dead cap this year (Spotrac and OTC show larger numbers, but that's because his roster bonus is not due until the end of this week, and we'd inherit it. Also, if more time is needed to complete the trade, it can be pushed back a few days if agreed to). Rams also clear a lot of cap space the next two years, which they would definitely need. Maybe a third (or second at most) gets it done?

Cap Hits once Traded
2023: $7.7M
2024: $12.2M
2025: $9.63M
Build a great wall up front to protect Burrow!
Reply/Quote
The most economical fix was to leave Carman at LT and move Jonah to the right side. You get your current best 5 in and have a shot at gaining some continuity. Play the starters in camp and preseason and let it gel before live games.

Sign a backup swing tackle like Beachum. Cut La'el. Draft a tackle and a guard for young depth. Develop them to replace players when the cap gets tight.

Draft the best player available at 28, get an OL in 2.

The players are there to build a passable OL. The depth is not.

The current free agent tackle crop is underwhelming to me. Brown will get paid like one of the league's best, but he probably isn't quite that. McGlinchey has issues that will be exposed outside of SF. The older name players have health issues.

McGary is the only guy I'd chase for significant money, but if that gets out of hand then I'm out on that, too.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2023, 10:06 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: What is your ideal scenario for addressing the line and trying to keep it semi reasonable in terms of money and players?

Williams
Volson
Karras
Cappa
Eluemunor

Harrison
Fleming or Beachum
Schweitzer
Carman

Close to yours Holic. Add Eluemunor to RT and once Taylor Lewan is somewhat cheap, I would add him as insurance on a 1 year 
prove it deal. Also would add Fleming like you said for depth and versatility. I would draft Darnell Wright for the future at RT and 
Avila in the 2nd round for the interior. Would be fine with cutting LC if the injury is that bad. This way we have tons of competition 
at the Tackle spots. It costs us money to cut Jonah so he would have to compete with Lewan for the starting LT spot along with 
Carman. Let the best man win.

Same with Eluemunor and Wright at RT....

LT - Taylor Lewan - Jackson Carman - Jonah Williams - Fleming
LG - Cordell Volson - Avila
C - Ted Karras - Avila - Trey Hill
RG - Alex Cappa - Avila
RT - Eluemunor - Darnell Wright - Fleming

This would leave no rock overturned. Have to keep Jonah this year since we picked up his option, plus Lewan is oft injured. I 
think Carman could learn a ton from Lewan. This would also add another leader to the OL room.
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2023, 02:20 PM)BuildTheWall Wrote: Under-the-Radar Trade Candidate RT Rob Havenstein (Rams). LAR is looking to tear it down and recover some picks, and Taylor knows him from his time there. Rams would eat about $7.2M in dead cap this year (Spotrac and OTC show larger numbers, but that's because his roster bonus is not due until the end of this week, and we'd inherit it. Also, if more time is needed to complete the trade, it can be pushed back a few days if agreed to). Rams also clear a lot of cap space the next two years, which they would definitely need. Maybe a third (or second at most) gets it done?

Cap Hits once Traded
2023: $7.7M
2024: $12.2M
2025: $9.63M

That's a really good trade target, hopefully a 3rd would do the trick or even a 4th.  More likely, they wait out a cut vet and preserve a comp pick.  They're really looking at:

1. Add at least a fringe starter at RT
2. Add a versatile depth pickup and stop depending on the youth we can't develop to come in and play whatever position you keep switching on them.

LT- Jonah is the (default) starter, being pushed and maybe leaped by Carmen.  I'd trade for/sign an upgrade ideally but it doesn't sound like the staff will.  The more you do to fix RT will help combat this questionable LT position.

LG-We know it's Volson.  His name is a trigger on this board as he is a good young kid doing his job for a fanbase with baggage.  Other than flashes from Carman, Volson is the only youth development this team has.  He's a cheap young asset that will start at LG, but he isn't untouchable mainly as this OL could use one big upgrade at ANY position.  This is where having a vet 3rd guard (ideally that can kick to tackle) is ideal, for insurance and to push that growth.

C-Karras is a lock at center and we as fans still talk adding a stud center that hits the market, knowing Karras is a good guard himself.  The staff won't move him though, and they're happy with Trey Hill but if the vet guard they add can play center even better.

RG-Cappa is our gem, our ONE near Pro Bowl level player on the line. 

RT-Collins is written in pencil and it's got an eraser braced next to it.  Loved the potential and hope he heals well but do we place our faith in him being ready and conditioned even by say the trade deadline.  I don't want to count on one of the LTs being moved over.  A rookie is a sincere need because they have nothing proven long term at tackle, but they need a t least a fringe vet at RT rather than counting on a rookie to start.  

Ideally, you land a RT that doesn't impede you from getting Wilson, Higgins and say two of the 2024 defensive free agents resigned.  Paying a guy 18M doesn't help do both.  Getting a near pro bowl talent for more than 2 seasons is a must, but is Havenstein that guy? I hope so, but with his age I'm still searching.  As they work through all the options, the most likely scenario is working hard to keep your own, and probably waiting for the 2nd wave market to get a fringe starter to see playing time for a contender and still draft a rookie to hedge your bets.
Reply/Quote

Williams
Volson
Karras
Cappa
Eluemunor

Harrison
Fleming or Beachum
Schweitzer
Carman

Weather the Bengals target Harrison, or even another OL, this is a very good plan.  Definitely would be excited if the team does something along these lines.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote