Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Your grill of choice?
I prefer a charcoal grill but sometimes struggle with getting a good even heat. Couple years ago bought a nice gas grill but struggle with getting good heat. I swear, even on low, it’s 6-700 degrees. My neighbor just bought an infrared grill and he loves it, yet just doesn’t appeal to me. I’ve had an electric smoker I liked a lot, but rarely used it.

It’s been a long while since I’ve been able to get that perfect steak, chop or burger on the grill.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2018, 10:54 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: I prefer a charcoal grill but sometimes struggle with getting a good even heat. Couple years ago bought a nice gas grill but struggle with getting good heat. I swear, even on low, it’s 6-700 degrees. My neighbor just bought an infrared grill and he loves it, yet just doesn’t appeal to me. I’ve had an electric smoker I liked a lot, but rarely used it.

It’s been a long while since I’ve been able to get that perfect steak, chop or burger on the grill.

Love my Traeger, but I do have an infrared char broil grill I use from time to time. Like you said, even on low it is hot as balls. When that thing craps out, I’m going to go with a Weber Genisus 4 burner gas grill. I should of went that route the first time but the char broil was cheaper. You get what you pay for.
Reply/Quote
I grill with an inexpensive gas grill. I've considered purchasing just a regular grill one would find in the park and planting it in the yard off the deck. That would be the charcoal type.
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2018, 11:10 AM)Cure4CF Wrote: Love my Traeger, but I do have an infrared char broil grill I use from time to time. Like you said, even on low it is hot as balls. When that thing craps out, I’m going to go with a Weber Genisus 4 burner gas grill. I should of went that route the first time but the char broil was cheaper. You get what you pay for.

Yeah, I suppose your right on getting what you pay for. The gas grill, I bought at Walmart and thought, “that’s a hellova grill for the price.” Oh well, live and learn I guess.

Reply/Quote
I’ve never been good on the grill, but would have an eventual success story now and then which reconfirmed my self proclaimed “grillmaster” status. Well, until I would give it another go and the aftermath was reminiscent of roadkill baking on a lava based highway.

Reply/Quote
I've got a mid range Weber gas grill and it seems to do a pretty good job. Haven't had a charcoal grill in a few years but I'm gonna buy one this year, love em.
Reply/Quote
I mainly use my Weber charcoal 22'' traditional grill. For the charcoal I use Kingsford, as I tend to buy up the 2 big bags on sale for 10 bucks. One thing I believe is well worth the purchase is a chimney starter for the charcoal, as there is no need for lighter fluid, just a pure clean burn. Also if you are doing a big cookout, it doesnt hurt having some coals in there as backup ready to go in case the first round of coals start to give out.

One technique I do is before I dump the coals in, I will lay a few briquets around the coal grate. These will ignite when the hot coals are poured over them, and will give a longer fire.

My advice for getting a perfectly cooked steak or burger is to just use your finger to see how 'mushy' it is. https://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/the_finger_test_to_check_the_doneness_of_meat/
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
I have a nice Kenmore (Sears) Gas grill that I absolutely love. It's a 4 burner unit, and it has quite possibly the best heat control that I've ever experienced on a gas grill. When I put that sucker on low, it's low. With most gas grills that I've owned, I had to "feel them out' to figure out where the hot spots were, not on this one. Pretty even heating throughout. I've always liked the convenience of gas being pretty instant.

I also keep a small, round Weber charcoal grill, for when I have the time to do charcoal, or when I just want that charcoal grilled flavor.

When I retire from my hobby of training/competing in Strongman, I plan to get a smoker and learn the art.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Big Geen Egg, Lump charcoal.

Heat control is exceptional. Got a brisket going as I type this.
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2018, 12:58 PM)Millhouse Wrote: One thing I believe is well worth the purchase is a chimney starter for the charcoal, as there is no need for lighter fluid, just a pure clean burn. 

Chimney starter?

Reply/Quote
I swear. I just googled "Awesome Grills" and this came up. My wife has been into the "Farmhouse" theme as of late. If she was to make me buy this ugly ass thing. I'm hiring Fred "Moosenuckle" whatchamacallit to defend me in proceedings.

[Image: th?id=OIP.7EM2VT4Cy4sIKKIL7MGAJgAAAA&pid...=300&h=300]

Reply/Quote
I smoke a lot, but for grilling, I've got a Green Mountain Grill. It's a pellet grill. Same as a Traeger, but less expensive (was made by the same engineers). You can control the thing with your phone if you want, pretty accurate for heat control. They even make a tailgate model.

Big Green Eggs are pretty awesome, too. Never owned one but Ive eaten off several. Not sure how they do on heat control.

For years, though, I just went and bought a cheap $20 charcoal grill from WalMart. If the kids weren't at the age where there's sleepovers every other weekend, I probably would just go with the cheap charcoal grill, use it for a couple years and throw it away when the bottom finally burns out. It's hard to beat a cheap charcoal grill for flavor.
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2018, 05:32 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Chimney starter?

Oh, you don't know?  It's a metal cylinder, about 5-6 inches in diameter and about 10 inches tall, with air vents at the bottom of it.  You simply put some paper in the bottom, leaving some extending out to light, load the charcoal on top.  Just light the paper, in about 10 minutes the charcoal is "done", just remove the chimney, spread the charcoal and cook.

[Image: ChimneyStarter.jpg]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2018, 05:32 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Chimney starter?

https://www.weber.com/US/en/blog/burning-questions/how-to-use-a-chimney-starter/weber-30557.html

There are various models, and sold at Lowes, Home Depot, WalMart, etc. Pretty cheap from 10-15 bucks, but well worth it and your charcoal will never need lighter fluid again.

I typically stuff newspaper under it, load it with coals, then light the paper. Half hour later when the coals on top are getting a bit white, its ready to be dumped in the grill. Myself I light it over my firepit, so the paper and charcoal ashes dont get in my grill as I try to limit that if I can.

Reply/Quote
(05-26-2018, 06:35 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Oh, you don't know?  It's a metal cylinder, about 5-6 inches in diameter and about 10 inches tall, with air vents at the bottom of it.  You simply put some paper in the bottom, leaving some extending out to light, load the charcoal on top.  Just light the paper, in about 10 minutes the charcoal is "done", just remove the chimney, spread the charcoal and cook.

[Image: ChimneyStarter.jpg]

I've been looking up bbq shit for years and talking bbq threads on this board and the previous for 11yrs. Nobody mentioned it till now? I don't even recall seeing something like it at the store? Son-of-a-*****!

Reply/Quote
I also have a gas grill, which is more for weeknights and if I am feeling too lazy on the weekend on dealing with the charcoal. But if I am doing classic grilled chicken, or a nice steak, definitely using my charcoal grill.

Reply/Quote
(05-26-2018, 07:29 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: I've been looking up bbq shit for years and talking bbq threads on this board and the previous for 11yrs. Nobody mentioned it till now? I don't even recall seeing something like it at the store? Son-of-a-*****!

A friend of mine makes his out of metal drain pipes and a few runs of wire (he works for a city so that stuff is laying around all the time).
Reply/Quote
I love my classic weber kettle. Been getting pretty good with it.

Had a nice expensive stainless gas grill that mice wouldnt leave alone. Every time i pulled it out of the garage mouse turds everywhere. Way too much of a hassle.

I use a chimney but just for starter briquettes. Ever since i discovered indirect grilling ive been setting the weber up with the coals just on one side. Lay out what i need then ball up some newspaper and put that and 10-12 briquettes in the chimney. Once they get white arrange them evenly on top of your main pile. Gives you time to finish prep and in 20 minutes the kingsford is ready.

Attempted the snake method on the weber for just the second time yesterday. 2X2 row of charcoal arranged around the edge with intermittent piles of wood. Get 8-10 coals going in the chimney and start the fire on one end of the snake. Temp stays low controlled with bottom vent. And it smokes for hours. Successfully smoked 2 racks of baby backs for 3 hours yesterday at around 220-230 degrees then wrapped in foil moved the fire to one side and finished the ribs in foil for another 2 hours while i grilled corn and asparagus over the coals.

Firing that baby up again today.
Reply/Quote
Well, went to Walmart to investigate this so called Chimney starter thingy and they didnt have one. Either that or someone called ahead and told them I was coming and they hid them in the back. Communist bastids.

Reply/Quote
(05-27-2018, 01:13 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: I love my classic weber kettle. Been getting pretty good with it.

Had a nice expensive stainless gas grill that mice wouldnt leave alone. Every time i pulled it out of the garage mouse turds everywhere. Way too much of a hassle.

I use a chimney but just for starter briquettes. Ever since i discovered indirect grilling ive been setting the weber up with the coals just on one side. Lay out what i need then ball up some newspaper and put that and 10-12 briquettes in the chimney. Once they get white arrange them evenly on top of your main pile. Gives you time to finish prep and in 20 minutes the kingsford is ready.

Attempted the snake method on the weber for just the second time yesterday. 2X2 row of charcoal arranged around the edge with intermittent piles of wood. Get 8-10 coals going in the chimney and start the fire on one end of the snake. Temp stays low controlled with bottom vent. And it smokes for hours. Successfully smoked 2 racks of baby backs for 3 hours yesterday at around 220-230 degrees then wrapped in foil moved the fire to one side and finished the ribs in foil for another 2 hours while i grilled corn and asparagus over the coals.

Firing that baby up again today.

Can't go wrong with the Weber Kettle, either.
Very versatile cooking vessel.  Great heat control for a very affordable grill.
Reply/Quote