Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Your the Owner! What do you do?
Kinda off topic but does anyone know if a team has ever used all draft picks on the same unit, must be at least 4 picks? We could use every pick on the Oline and still miss on talent. But at least it’s an effort. If there was ever a draft to use literally every pick on Oline & LB this is it. Fix the line and get a D for T.L. In 2021!!!
Reply/Quote
1) Upgrade personnel department not just to fall in line with league averages, but to become a league leader. Complete with advanced analytics, world class medical/training staff, heavily beefed up scouting department, the works.

2) Employ a massive PR department to rehab and re-brand the team's image not just locally, but nationally. The primary goal would be to increase both attendance numbers and also merchandise sales. With the amount of money I'll be spending below...that extra income isn't just welcome, it's necessary.

3) Do everything in my power to remove Roger Goodell from his position as commissioner of the NFL. This includes: schmoozing other owners, publicly berating and judging every idiotic move Goodell makes, and outright refusing to pay my portion of his salary up to and including fighting the inevitable lawsuits in court. This has nothing to do with making the team a winner, it's more just that Goodell is a sleazy good-for-nothing weasel and as an NFL owner I'd finally be in a position to attempt to do something about it.

4) Re-pay and further compensate Hamilton County and the city of Cincinnati for the stadium deal in exchange for ownership and full control over PBS. This would help with both rehabbing the team's image in the local community, while also increasing the overall value of the team in the event I decided to sell.

5) Upgrade and/or install facilities that will not only help to attract outside free agents, but maintain and improve the health of current players as well. For instance: Indoor practice facility, expanded training facilities, further improving on-site medical facilities. Also, I'd oversee the construction of new offices for the aforementioned beefed up personnel and PR departments. This would likely involve buying up large portions of the surrounding riverfront, sorry local businesses, we've got a damn Super Bowl to go out and win.

Fun fact about something on my 5th point: The Bengals are the only team in the NFL with an MRI on-site at the stadium. It sounds ludicrous, but it's true! 
https://www.forbes.com/sites/jefffedotin/2019/07/08/medical-marvels-bengals-are-lone-nfl-team-with-an-mri-at-their-stadium/#410c3d945b2d
Reply/Quote
(09-23-2019, 01:13 AM)jason Wrote: So who specifically are you guys going after for the GM job? What if that guy isn't interested? Then who are you turning to?

Louis Riddick would probably be my first choice as GM.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(09-23-2019, 01:37 AM)TKUHL Wrote: Kinda off topic but does anyone know if a team has ever used all draft picks on the same unit, must be at least 4 picks? We could use every pick on the Oline and still miss on talent. But at least it’s an effort. If there was ever a draft to use literally every pick on Oline & LB this is it. Fix the line and get a D for T.L. In 2021!!!

How are we going to be bad enough to pick #1OA if we fix the OL?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
I'm Mike Brown? I die!
Reply/Quote
(09-23-2019, 01:57 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: How are we going to be bad enough to pick #1OA if we fix the OL?

Damn good point. Make the call to Tonya Harding, I dunno.
Reply/Quote
Well. if I owned the team, I would tell Tobin this simple philosophy

2020 draft
1st pick OL
2nd pick DL
2021 draft
1st pick DL
2nd pick OL

Then keep repeating that system. All other positions would be third pick or later, trade downs would sometimes make the third pick a 2nd rounder.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(09-23-2019, 02:29 AM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: Well. if I owned the team, I would tell Tobin this simple philosophy

2020 draft
1st pick OL
2nd pick DL
2021 draft
1st pick DL
2nd pick OL

Then keep repeating that system. All other positions would be third pick or later, trade downs would sometimes make the third pick a 2nd rounder.

We need LB way more than DL.

Reply/Quote
(09-23-2019, 02:38 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: We need LB way more than DL.

Smart, fast and athletic LBs capable of reading and wrecking plays. 
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
(09-23-2019, 01:35 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: So instead of answering his question you just make a snarky reply?

Who would you hire as GM?

Really? Not answering a hypothetical question in a hypothetical thread is what sets you off. Nothing snarky about it. It’s called humor, calm down and try it sometime.
Reply/Quote
(09-23-2019, 03:00 AM)Shady Wrote: Smart, fast and athletic LBs capable of reading and wrecking plays. 

Our leading tacklers have to stop being our safeties. We need a Devin Bush type playmaker back there.

Reply/Quote
I would clean house from the top down. First order of business is finding a legit football guru to be GM. Then, see what they recommend.
[Image: Kongmoving.gif] Tiger
Reply/Quote
(09-23-2019, 03:15 AM)TKUHL Wrote: Really? Not answering a hypothetical question in a hypothetical thread is what sets you off. Nothing snarky about it. It’s called humor, calm down and try it sometime.

Hey, I predicted this team would win 7 games...my sense of humor is fine!

Reply/Quote
(09-23-2019, 02:38 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: We need LB way more than DL.
Free agency or third pick.
My plan would be long term. It doesn't matter how good your LBs are if the DL can't keep the blockers off of them. Plus there's a reason they only have 5 LBs, they're slowly being phased out by the passing rules. More and more teams are starting in a Nickel defense. If it wasn't for the running game, LBs would go the way of the FB and more and more CBs and Safties would be behind the DL.
A lot of people are hung up on QBs . . . almost every team wins because they won the line of scrimmage.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
I accept responsibility.  I look at the state of the roster, the state of teams around the league, cumulative win/loss records, and past actions.  I take the blame for the state of the o-line when I could have re-signed Whitworth and Zeitler.  I take the blame for chronically injured first round picks when I employ the most sparse scouting department out of 32.  I take the blame for the state of the roster, the reputation of the franchise, and for the shortcoming of each and every member of my staff.  I look in the mirror and admit that my approach has not yielded very good results, and probably never will unless I change it.
Reply/Quote
I would contact the board owners of thebengalsboard and ask for TKHUL to be banned for 1 day for using your instead of you're in his thread title! That is the first thing I would do.
Reply/Quote
I am to the point that I would evaluate the roster that anyone that is one their second (or later) contract and has significant value out there would be offered as a trade for draft picks. I would only trade for high picks, not a fire sale. Have to get strong value in return. No one is safe. I would not move guys that are still on a rookie contract. I would build around them.

I would leave the coaching and scouting intact and give them a real chance to develop their systems. I don't think turnover helps the team in this instance.

From a drafting standpoint, I would focus on Offensive and Defensive line. I would avoid falling in love with the sexy WR or CB until the middle of the team is strong on both sides. This is how the Ravens were initially developed and, more recently, the Colts.

Lastly, I would anoint Duke Tobin the GM. I don't blame him for the recent failures. I think he is a very solid evaluator of talent. Mike is doing very little in this department as it is, so I would give him this title that he has really been operating under as it would show the fanbase the so-called structural change that they have been calling for years. From a talent evaluation standpoint, I am unsure if this is a part of the current mindset, but I loved what Jimmy Johnson said years ago: He wanted playmakers. They didn't have to be the biggest or fastest but he wanted the guys that always were around the ball and made big plays. I don't want tentative players. I want energetic players that put winning above everything else. A good example of what this does NOT look like is Ced Ogbuehi. I don't care if the guy is a dancing bear, and has great athleticism, you could even see in college that the guy had no passion and no leadership. He just did this as a means to an end, and that won't carry you to the top.

From a FA standpoint, there are a couple positions that I think I could sign quality, proven talent: Linebacker and safety. I think those are two of the toughest positions to draft and develop (although to be clear, I would not stop trying this, but for the immediate future I need solid options there). I would find the best SS and LB that I could acquire as FA and sign them.

I actually like a lot of the young talent at WR, RB, and TE, and I would not view trading the likes of Green, Dre, Boyd, etc as waving the white flag. I believe that improving the lines would make the team significantly better relatively quickly if those picks are used on the lines.

The defensive line can build around like likes of Lawson, Hubbard, Billings, and Glasgow. I think Dunlap and Atkins could provide some nice draft equity for a team that is very close to competing for a Super Bowl.
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2019, 11:49 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: Every single year Bengals fans use injuries as an excuse. Every team gets key injuries during the year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Exactly. There will be injuries next year. And the year after.

I do think the injuries were worse last year in regards to key players.

The bottom line is the poor LB play has nothing to do with injuries. That was negligence - Not signing any upgrades in free agency.
Reply/Quote
I would fire GM now and hire Peyton Manning or Tony Romo as Bengal GM.
I would renew the Stadium lease deal next year before 2026 contract lease expires.  I would spend money on making the Stadium in-door.
I would build state-of-art practice bubble.  
I would trade Dalton, Green, and maybe Dunlap.  
I would bring in one blue chip FA backer and one blue chip FA OL player this off season.  I maybe would target Cory Littleton from the Rams.  
2019 draft: OT-QB (Burrow)-Backer-Guard-Backer- OL-DB-RB
I would replenish the trenches for the next 3 drafts.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(09-23-2019, 12:17 AM)Millhouse Wrote: Give Holic a big check to make thebengalsboard.com the official forum for Bengal fans
Clean house in the front office. New team president, 'gm', etc., but smart football people. The daily office workers would be safe, unless they are inept.
Double or triple the scouting department, while getting rid of current scouts
Hire new PR people to help energize the fan base even more than my genius abilities could.
Bring PBS up to modern stadium standards for better fan experience
Give Holic a big, nm already said that

Upgrade the stadium to modern standards would have made my Top 10 list.
Reply/Quote