Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Your thoughts about game 1 the Chargers.
(08-19-2020, 03:26 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Started with the Ingram strip of Gio at the end of the half on their 1yd line. Still believe if Gio makes that TD the Bengals win that game easily.

Agreed
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
It's a pretty even matchup so it is a 50-50 chance we win this game.
Neither offensive Line is good and both defensive Lines are. So I expect a low scoring game.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2020, 04:48 PM)Big Boss Wrote: Neutralize Bosa and this game is winnable.

Our LBs will have their hands full.  Austin Eckeler is a dangerous receiver out of the backfield.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2020, 04:05 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: If this is a Bengals team that is improved and is taking that next step, then this is a game you really should win.

1.) At home.
2.) West Coast team playing across the country. (Travel works both ways)
3.) 5-11 last season. Dead last in their division.
4.) New QB, in a new offense, as the face of their franchise moves on, in Phillips Rivers.
5.) No Melvin Gordon either.  Ekeler takes completely takes over RB1.

There shouldn't be any excuse at to why he can't win this game.

They do have a pretty good D.  And their weapons in the pass game are excellent (Keenan Allen, Mike Williams, Hunter Henry, and Ekeler).

I hope we can put up a good showing. Year 2 of the new regime, getting some key guys back, some new additions, along with the best QB prospect in awhile.  We need this one.

This pretty much summed it up for me, but I will add that the Chargers have NO film on Burrow and have no idea what to expect.  I think they (Chargers) will try to come out and run the ball and we will see very quickly if all those additions on defense pay dividends.  Their offensive line brought in Bulaga and Pro Bowl G Trai Turner to go with Mike Pouncey at C, but the other side of their line is G Dan Feeney (average at best) and a competition at LT between a bunch of no names.  Their offensive line is very questionable, but looks to be solid as run-blockers at the very least.  

Tyrod Taylor is captain checkdown.  If they can tighten up underneath coverage and make him hold on to the ball, it could be a long day for him. 

The Chargers defense is loaded.  Getting them burnt on a few big plays early would be huge.  
Reply/Quote
It all boils down to this.

(08-19-2020, 04:05 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: If this is a Bengals team that is improved and is taking that next step, then this is a game you really should win.

Chargers were a 5 win team last year with a Hall of Fame QB.  They have taken a huge step backward at the QB position and they have to travel 2000 miles to play on our home field.

If we don't beat them then we are probably a 3 to 4 win team in 2020.
Reply/Quote
Yeah Tyrod isnt going challenge a defense vertically.
He will check down but it's important this defense
Tackles good in space. Vigil and Brown are no longer here so I don't have to worry as much about that facet of the game.

I do expect a heavy dose of Joe Mixon in this game.
That will help JB and it keeps Bosa and Ingram from teeing off.

This is a game where a special teams play could decide it.
I expect a close game.
But the Bengals have to limit the yards allowed on 1st and 2nd
Down. Keep Tyrod in 3rd and long situations

Offensively conversely give JB makeable 3rd downs to convert
And please be creative with Ross.
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2020, 04:26 PM)guyofthetiger Wrote: I think the Chargers will blow out the Bengals in game one. This would be good because the Bengals will shut up and play good the rest of the season. Burrow eating crow will make him a good QB for the future. In other words, they will realize respect is earned on the field and not press conferences.

You picked the wrong week to stop taking your meds.
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2020, 04:48 PM)Big Boss Wrote: Neutralize Bosa and this game is winnable.

Based off the early reports about the O-line in camp, that is easier said then done.

I think this game will actually be a loss. O-line will need time to gel and the Chargers D can put pressure on the QB.

I'd look for a low scoring ugly game since their offense is pretty bland looking.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(08-19-2020, 04:58 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Our LBs will have their hands full.  Austin Eckeler is a dangerous receiver out of the backfield.

Eckeler is a weapon all around.

Only bright spot for the Bengals is the new additions to the D should help slow him down, and Taylor isn't going to blow anyone away.

Sadly, this game could come down to if Bobby Hart can the O-line can stop the pass rush. If not, Mixon will have no lanes, Burrow will be on his back all day, and it will be a miserable game to watch. Bunch of field goals, like 12 to 9 for a final.

Reply/Quote
Some of you forget the Chargers only won 5 games
Last year with a very capable HOF QB.
It's a talented team but a underachieving team too
The Chargers have no idea what kind of offense the Bengals will
Come out in that day. They have no film on Burrow
The Bengals can dictate tempo to.the Chargers
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2020, 07:11 PM)impactplaya Wrote: Some of you forget the Chargers only won 5 games
Last year with a very capable HOF QB.
It's a talented team but a underachieving team too
The Chargers have no idea what kind of offense the Bengals will
Come out in that day. They have no film on Burrow
The Bengals can dictate tempo to.the Chargers

If the O-line can stop the Chargers front 4 and right now, that is not a guarantee.

I really don't think either team will dictate much of anything, I expect this to be a very ugly game.

Reply/Quote
My thoughts on the game are anything can happen. No preseason games, so are the starters going to be conditioned to go 4 quarters or are they going to be gassed midway through the 3rd? That goes for both teams. I expect mistakes and growing pains for the Bengals this season and more so early on with a rookie QB, second year HC, and many new faces on defense. In this game I hope we can at least see some flashes of the good things to come; what I am going to be keeping an eye on the most is our oline and see how well they do against Bosa and the rest of the Chargers D. WhoDey!!!
Reply/Quote
It really comes down to run blocking and run defense/tackling.

Can the offensive line open up lanes consistently for Joe Mixon? That will keep the down & distance manageable and open up thr playbook for the offense.

Can the defense stop the run/tackle and create pass rush situations? If thr defense can limit yards by stopping the run and tackling they will create larger down & distance for opposing offenses. That will lead to more pass rush situations and more chances to create turnovers.

Of course that's an all year thing not just game one.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(08-19-2020, 03:28 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I just remember being at the game shaking my head the entire time wondering if they were all hungover....

I too was at that game and I WAS hungover. Celebrated the night before what was supposed to be an easy bengals victory. Ended up drinking so much I didn’t drink a drop on game day. Everything about that day was miserable.

If my memeory serves me correctly, that game was unseasonably warm but a cold front came through just after the game that took temps below zero. All seemed fitting.

Reply/Quote
My thoughts are that the Bengals need to win this game and it's up to the coaches to create a game plan that will do it.

Reply/Quote
Oh and as for game 1, if the oline can block there is a chance. If it can’t, the victory will be getting joe out of it alive because that Dline of theirs is tough.

Reply/Quote
(08-19-2020, 04:32 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Like most I think it'll come down to who makes the fewest errors.

It'll be a tough game for this reason right here. T Taylor is a steady hand at QB who won't get rattled and is content taking short gains all day long. On the other side of the ball you have a very good d-line going against a line that is pretty up in the air. 

It'll be fun to see what Williams, Burrow, and the revamped D can do. 
Reply/Quote
For sure winnerable game.. if Burrow can come out and play like Dalton did in his first game we can win this game.. it really will probably come down to Burrow performing at the level we drafted him to win this game. Chargers have a better defense than we do but lost Rivers on their offense. Burrow needs to get it done, a franchise QB can overcome a weaker line..... that is why we drafted him first.. home game against a sub par team with the franchise QB should be win...
Reply/Quote
Bout to beat that ass
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2020, 03:23 PM)Sled21 Wrote: The whole Bengals team crapped the bed during that game.

Nope. Marvin Jones set a franchise record.

Reply/Quote