Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Your thoughts about game 1 the Chargers.
Burrow's already been watching tape on them. They're screwed.

If you look at their stats from 2019, you'd think they're tough against the pass. When you look at their schedule, however, you'll see they didn't face many good QBs. Mahomes twice. Watson. And Cousins. Mahomes and Watson feasted. Cousins was helped out by 7 Charger turnovers. THey did sign Clark Harris from the Broncos, but their CBs don't really scare me.

Still, I think Mixon and the Oline need to have big games. Burrow needs to slow down their pass rush with some screens, and things should open up on play-action.

I'm guessing we'll put up 28 points on them. More than that if the D can get some turnovers.

I don't see Tyrod putting up nearly enough points to beat that (28). I'll predict 28-10. Bengals win.
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I don't know if they move Bosa around much, but even if they do, Jonah Williams is going to see a whole lot of Joey Bosa in his first NFL game. That's a real challenge. If we come out ok on that, we've got a great chance to get that important first win.

Probably a lot of Mixon early and some rolling away from Bosa on shorter patterns. Let Jonah find his sea legs before putting him under too much pressure. Plus if Mixon has some success, throwing the ball gets a lot easier.
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2020, 07:37 PM)The Real Deal Wrote: If my memeory serves me correctly, that game was unseasonably warm but a cold front came through just after the game that took temps below zero. All seemed fitting.

I was there dressed for 20 degree weather but it was in the forties I believe (I was sitting in the sunny side).

The drive home was 5 hours of torrential rain.
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2020, 04:43 AM)BURROWorBUST Wrote: Burrow's already been watching tape on them. They're screwed.

If you look at their stats from 2019, you'd think they're tough against the pass. When you look at their schedule, however, you'll see they didn't face many good QBs. Mahomes twice. Watson. And Cousins. Mahomes and Watson feasted. Cousins was helped out by 7 Charger turnovers. THey did sign Clark Harris from the Broncos, but their CBs don't really scare me.

Still, I think Mixon and the Oline need to have big games. Burrow needs to slow down their pass rush with some screens, and things should open up on play-action.

I'm guessing we'll put up 28 points on them. More than that if the D can get some turnovers.

I don't see Tyrod  putting up nearly enough points to beat that (28). I'll predict 28-10. Bengals win.

This is what I believe I am just hesitant to predict it lol
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2020, 03:16 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: I think it will be a sloppy mess by both teams, since it will now essentially be the first preseason game. I expect all September games to be pretty rough and we won’t have a true picture of this team until October.

This. I don't think we can truly glean ANYthing from this game, win or lose. But, I do expect Burrow to struggle at first considering the speed of the NFL (so hopefully, the running game is working) and this is his first NFL game ever, so I don't expect a high scoring game from our offense.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
If ZT is smart he'll use Mixon a LOT. This will wear down the defense as teams are not in 'game shape' yet. We should take at least 4 shots deep though on play action. It will be interesting...
To each his own... unless you belong to a political party...
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2020, 05:58 PM)fredtoast Wrote: It all boils down to this.

Chargers were a 5 win team last year with a Hall of Fame QB.  They have taken a huge step backward at the QB position and they have to travel 2000 miles to play on our home field.

If we don't beat them then we are probably a 3 to 4 win team in 2020.

After giving this a little more thought I am going to step back from this comment.

If it was not the first game of the season I would say it is true.  But with no preseason games and a bunch of new starters (including a rookie QB) I don't think we will be able to make any huge judgements after just one game.
Reply/Quote
Chargers just lost Derwin James. That’s going to have a huge impact on on this first game, he is a great safety.
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2020, 08:35 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Chargers just lost Derwin James. That’s going to have a huge impact on on this first game, he is a great safety.

This is the other player that made me think we could lose this game.
Reply/Quote
Yep Derwin James is a chess piece on defense.he can play all 3
Levels on defense. It would be wise for the Cincy on offense to attack that void left by James injury.
Anyone the Chargers bring in to play saftey has to
Go through co-19 protocol then get a crash course on the Chargers
Defense.
Wow if the Chargers are depending on Vigil to step up
Good luck Bolts
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2020, 10:12 PM)impactplaya Wrote: Yep Derwin James is a chess piece on defense.he can play all 3
Levels on defense.  It would be wise for the Cincy on offense to attack that void left by James injury.
Anyone the Chargers bring in to play saftey has to
Go through co-19 protocol then get a crash course on the Chargers
Defense.
Wow if the Chargers are depending on Vigil to step up
Good luck Bolts

Looking good. Rock On

Derwin James and no Ingram? Bosa is really my only concern.
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2020, 10:19 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Looking good. Rock On

Id like to.see the Bengals go uptempo in this game. 
Playing against back ups you arent used to.high snap.counts
Plus playing in a uptempo situtations 
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2020, 10:36 PM)impactplaya Wrote: Id like to.see the Bengals go uptempo in this game. 
Playing against back ups you arent used to.high snap.counts
Plus playing in a uptempo situtations 

This is what Burrow is good at, do it.

Same with Mixon if he gets his head out of his ass. The Shotgun uptemto Offenses is what both of them thrive in.
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2020, 10:19 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Looking good. Rock On

Ingram resolved his contract issues for the season, pretty sure he will be out there unless I missed something.
Reply/Quote
As a few others have said, it's going to be a mess. And that means it could really go either way, and the better team might not win.

The refs have no preseason either. They always make tons of mistakes, even more than usual, in the preseason. Now they'll be making them in the first few games. The game could hinge on bad calls, or it could hinge on actual penalties. It could swing on silly turnovers (like botched snaps/handoffs), special teams miscues, lots of things.

That's why win or lose we should all be prepared not to read to much into the first game.
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2020, 11:02 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Ingram resolved his contract issues for the season, pretty sure he will be out there unless I missed something.

Damn, you always give me good news.  Sarcasm

(08-30-2020, 11:07 PM)Geno_Can_Dunk Wrote: As a few others have said, it's going to be a mess. And that means it could really go either way, and the better team might not win.

The refs have no preseason either. They always make tons of mistakes, even more than usual, in the preseason. Now they'll be making them in the first few games. The game could hinge on bad calls, or it could hinge on actual penalties. It could swing on silly turnovers (like botched snaps/handoffs), special teams miscues, lots of things.

That's why win or lose we should all be prepared not to read to much into the first game.

Agree with you as usual. Mellow
Reply/Quote
I'm hoping we win the coin toss and defer. It will be a little easier to settle into the game. We should have had covid rules where home team automatically wins all coin tosses.
Reply/Quote
I honestly think Burrow is gonna throw 5 TDs.... People will go nuts and he will come back down a little the next few weeks.. 42-27 good guys...
Reply/Quote
As has been said, this needs to be a Mixon game early. You have to keep their pass-rushers from pinning their ears back and frustrating Burrow
. If they can manage to get a decent lead, Tyrod is probably not the guy to score a lot of points in the second half.

To me, it hinges on getting up significantly early and taking those edge rushers out of the game.

I hope to be pleasantly surprised by the quality of play, but I'm skeptical. I think the entire league will be a mess until mid-October.
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2020, 08:35 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Chargers just lost Derwin James. That’s going to have a huge impact on on this first game, he is a great safety.

Wow.  That is a huge loss.  He is one player that can change a game.  I won't pretend to know their depth chart but huge loss for them.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote