Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Zac Taylor
I believe Zac is a great HC. The way the team didn’t fold post Burrow injury should have shown the doubters he can win without Joe. He does make questionable calls at times, but all coaches do.

If Zac were relieved of duties, how hot of a coach would he be? Would you trade Zac for Vrabel? Seeing guys like Callahan getting HC looks leads me to believe that Zac would be a very hot commodity. Vrabel arguable has done more with less, but hasn’t gotten his team to a SB, let alone two AFCCG.

Just curious to where the fan base stands going into 2024.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Yeah, I think there is a section of Bengals fans that would be surprised at how popular Taylor would be on the open market. He has led one of the most successful offenses in the league over the last few years with a makeshift offensive line. This year with hobbled and inconsistent QB play he was able to coach the team to a winning record (or .500 if you want to throw out that Browns game) and very narrowly missed another playoff berth.

I'm not saying he is the GOAT or anything but if the Bengals fired him today he would be hired very quickly.
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2024, 02:48 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: I believe Zac is a great HC.  The way the team didn’t fold post Burrow injury should have shown the doubters he can win without Joe.  He does make questionable calls at times, but all coaches do.  

If Zac were relieved of duties, how hot of a coach would he be?  Would you trade Zac for Vrabel?  Seeing guys like Callahan getting HC looks leads me to believe that Zac would be a very hot commodity.  Vrabel arguable has done more with less, but hasn’t gotten his team to a SB, let alone two AFCCG.

Some teams would come knocking, for sure.

I would not look to replace with Vrabel though, personally.

I want an offensive-minded HC with more of a proven ability to call plays than Taylor had on his resume coming in.
A McVay or Shanahan type of guy.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-10-2024, 02:48 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: I believe Zac is a great HC.  The way the team didn’t fold post Burrow injury should have shown the doubters he can win without Joe.  He does make questionable calls at times, but all coaches do.  

If Zac were relieved of duties, how hot of a coach would he be?  Would you trade Zac for Vrabel?  Seeing guys like Callahan getting HC looks leads me to believe that Zac would be a very hot commodity.  Vrabel arguable has done more with less, but hasn’t gotten his team to a SB, let alone two AFCCG.

I see it as "to be determined".

Zac is only 40 years old and has been a Head Coach with the Bengals for 5 seasons with 1 Super Bowl appearance and 2 AFC Championship

game appearances.

That is pretty good success for someone so young and he has Time to add to his Resume.

Having Burrow obviously helped his Resume and also makes some people discredit Zac for the success he has had since credit tends to go to Burrow.

When Zac was first hired, I felt he was going to have to Learn as he goes to gain experience and then become a better Coach over Time.

I think he has done that with still more to Learn and he seems like the type of person that wants to learn and evolve.

He has Burrow, so Zac is expected to deliver Great results going forward and being so young he will have his Chances to some day become Great.
Reply/Quote
Can Vrabel coach defense? Cuz I’d like to see Vrabel coaching defense for the Bengals, and Im not entirely ready to let Anarumo go yet
Reply/Quote
Candyman, Candyman, Candyman
Like a teenage girl driving a Ferrari. 
Reply/Quote
Zac is also known as a coach whose players love playing for so that would also be attractive to the next employer.

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(01-10-2024, 02:48 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: I believe Zac is a great HC. The way the team didn’t fold post Burrow injury should have shown the doubters he can win without Joe. He does make questionable calls at times, but all coaches do.

If Zac were relieved of duties, how hot of a coach would he be? Would you trade Zac for Vrabel? Seeing guys like Callahan getting HC looks leads me to believe that Zac would be a very hot commodity. Vrabel arguable has done more with less, but hasn’t gotten his team to a SB, let alone two AFCCG.

Too many fans are negatively focused with the offense. The offense in the efficiency categories does well. According to Team Rankings only the Bills and KC have been more efficient in ‘21-22. We were 8th both years in points per play.

But the main reason Zac would be highly coveted is the reputation with the players and the culture he’s established. They talk about the locker room. The players have really spread the word how much they like playing for Zac and really the entire staff. They like how he manages them physically. Ted Karras has been effusive. Logan Wilson is a huge supporter of Zac. But the key is Zac and just relationships with the players, management & staff, and ownership.

Trust me it’s unique what Cincy has and very few teams have it at the level the culture is here. But you also have to be honest winning has to be a part of it.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
Have always said that Zac is a great HC and not wanting to trade coaches.

Sometimes wish he would put his entire focus in the HC direction and let a OC call plays though, plus solve the slow starts of the seasons. he is still learning and evolving as a HC and doing a solid job of it.

Along with the other positive things that have been mentioned about Zac, he has also gotten the FO to buy in by finally signing quality FA's. Not sure that I would ever see that day arrive.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Mans been in the job for 5 years. What you see is what we get.

We really can’t afford another bad drafts. The last 2 look god awful so far and the one before is just meh.
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2024, 10:55 PM)NotBigzo Wrote: Mans been in the job for 5 years. What you see is what we get.

We really can’t afford another bad drafts. The last 2 look god awful so far and the one before is just meh.

Zac and Doug and the scouting department really share in the draft. Lou has a ton of say in the defense. Hope that helps
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(01-10-2024, 10:55 PM)NotBigzo Wrote: Mans been in the job for 5 years. What you see is what we get.

How is this draft awful? I believe all picks made team and Outside of punter no busts and possible first 5 picks could be starters next year
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2024, 12:20 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: How is this draft awful? I believe all picks made team and Outside of punter no busts and possible first 5 picks could be starters next year

Myles Murphy has a ton of red flags and but showed some flashes, but you want immediate contributers in round 1.

Any hype about our receivers are just optimistic forecasts. They simply didn't show enough on the field for anyone to have faith in them.

Secondary was the worst part of the defense.

Punter was the worst in the league.
Reply/Quote
As an Ohio State guy, I'd love Vrabel, but I don't think it's time to give up on Zac.

Like people have said, he's never had an offense with an even decent offensive line and he has been to one Super Bowl and two AFCC games.

I don't love everything he has done, but I think we need to give him all the tools first.

Also, Vrabel seems more like a run the ball and control the game kind of coach, and we have Burrow, so that would be stupid.

That last point might be the best argument against Vrabel.
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2024, 10:51 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Have always said that Zac is a great HC and not wanting to trade coaches.

Sometimes wish he would put his entire focus in the HC direction and let a OC call plays though, plus solve the slow starts of the seasons.  he is still learning and evolving as a HC and doing a solid job of it.

Along with the other positive things that have been mentioned about Zac, he has also gotten the FO to buy in by finally signing quality FA's. Not sure that I would ever see that day arrive.

100% this. 
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2024, 12:20 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: How is this draft awful? I believe all picks made team and Outside of punter no busts and possible first 5 picks could be starters next year

He says stupid stuff just to be a troll.
2023 "God Awful" Draft- Murphy, Turner, Battle, Jones, Brown, Yoshi, Robbins and Ivey. All made the team and all played.
2022 "God Awful Draft- Hill, CTB, Carter, Colson, Anderson, Gunter. Anderson is on IR, the rest all made the team and played except Gunter.
Reply/Quote
If Taylor was fired, the NFL world would absolutely obliterate the Bengals for doing so, and I would agree with them. That being said, Taylor still needs to learn and grow as a head coach and the leader of the team.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(01-10-2024, 10:51 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Have always said that Zac is a great HC 

I remember the good old days where you, me, and just about no one else (maybe a couple) supported Zac Taylor and were called all kinds of stuff for it.
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2024, 12:17 PM)Millhouse Wrote: If Taylor was fired, the NFL world would absolutely obliterate the Bengals for doing so, and I would agree with them. That being said, Taylor still needs to learn and grow as a head coach and the leader of the team.

a good step would be recognizing his OL coach isnt getting it done
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2024, 01:34 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: a good step would be recognizing his OL coach isnt getting it done

That's part of the reason I can't ever consider Zac a great HC. I think he's a good HC, but a great HC would definitely have moved on from his OL Coach/Run Game Coordinator, and probably moved on from Zac the Playcaller, too.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote