Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Zac Taylor
He's smart enough to know his o-line coach is hamstrung by the practice rules, which is why o-line play across the league has suffered. The players did it to themselves.
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2024, 12:19 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I remember the good old days where you, me, and just about no one else (maybe a couple) supported Zac Taylor and were called all kinds of stuff for it.

*raises hand*

Now, I wasn't gung-ho, "OMG HE'S TEH GOATZ," but as a fan, I did give him the benefit of the doubt and a long leash (and maintained that you need 3-5 years to evaluate).

And I'm not trying to bring it back for malicious purposes, but, we all remember this thread...: http://thebengalsboard.com/Thread-Hey-Zac-pay-attention-to-Kliff-Kingsbury?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2024, 12:29 AM)NotBigzo Wrote: Myles Murphy has a ton of red flags and but showed some flashes, but you want immediate contributers in round 1.

Any hype about our receivers are just optimistic forecasts. They simply didn't show enough on the field for anyone to have faith in them.  

Secondary was the worst part of the defense.

Punter was the worst in the league.
Battles and Turner showed up better than some veterans, and Iosivas contributed with 4 tds, Jones looked the part as a returner, Brown had moments to have hope in his speed and Murphy end year was taking snaps from Hubbard at times..that is a very deep tributing group I laid out..
Who Dey to more improvement and contributions next season 
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2024, 02:07 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: That's part of the reason I can't ever consider Zac a great HC. I think he's a good HC, but a great HC would definitely have moved on from his OL Coach/Run Game Coordinator, and probably moved on from Zac the Playcaller, too.

Even I admit he’s not a great head coach. Few are out of the box and Zac I’m afraid is well aware Pollack is Mike Brown’s guy. Business operations may be in the hands of his children but Mike still is involved in coaching and drafting. It’s going to take Doug & Zac to want Pollack out. Maybe they don’t. I’d say the whole organization from Zac,Doug, and Mike they seem to be extremely loyal. Sometimes you lose your objectivity.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(01-10-2024, 02:48 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: I believe Zac is a great HC.  The way the team didn’t fold post Burrow injury should have shown the doubters he can win without Joe.  He does make questionable calls at times, but all coaches do.  

If Zac were relieved of duties, how hot of a coach would he be?  Would you trade Zac for Vrabel?  Seeing guys like Callahan getting HC looks leads me to believe that Zac would be a very hot commodity.  Vrabel arguable has done more with less, but hasn’t gotten his team to a SB, let alone two AFCCG.

Just curious to where the fan base stands going into 2024.

I don't think Zac is a great HC yet but...

The only HC I would bring in over Zac would be Billy B honestly and even then, that is questionable if Billy B doesn't have it anymore.

He is getting up there in age. Yes, as you and KillerGoose here said, Zac Taylor would be a very hot commodity if we moved on from him.

He shown he can win without Burrow this year, something I questioned prior.
Reply/Quote
Safety Jessie Bates, speaking Tuesday with former Bengals cornerback Adam Jones on Bally Sports Ohio, said it has everything to do with head coach Zac Taylor.
“Zac knows what we’re feeling, knows what kind of conversations are being had in the locker room,” Bates offered. “Throughout the preseason he knows when we’re getting good work. He communicates when it’s live, communicates when it’s not live, so there’s no gray area there about when we need to turn it on.”

"Very efficient information dispensed and there isn't a lot of faffing around," says center Ted Karras, one of his captains who has played more NFL games than anyone on offense. "I would put Zac as the best scheduler I've ever been around."

My dad has taken a lot of notes from Zac. We've been very blessed with a lot of knowledge from great leaders in the NFL and Zac is right up there with the best of them," Karras says. "There is a new kind of wave of younger coaches that take care of guys. It only works if you bring in the right guys."

Logan Wilson: One of the biggest reasons is I wanted to keep playing for Coach Taylor," Wilson said. "I think he's such a player's coach, he takes care of us like no other team does, and guys recover better because of that. He takes care of us if you're injured. All these different things that go into it. 

"He's awesome. He's been tremendous to play for and there's just no other coach I wanted to play for at the end."

https://dai.ly/x8q5f2x

“One of my goals coming in, when I was signed was … I wanted to assimilate into a culture that already had success,” Karras said. “And I’m very happy that I’m here. It’s an amazing locker room to be in. That being said, I was raised for many years in that system, and a lot of the tenets that they believe in, I wholeheartedly believe in as well. So obviously you take the good and learn from Zac, and now this new program has been very advantageous for me.”
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
Are people seriously questioning Zac after a winning record when Joe was hurt or playing less than 100% for like 2/3 of the year in the best division ever?!?!

Thought we were past this nonsense after 2 straight AFCC games. At least for a couple years smh

Zac would be the most popular HC candidate in the league if we were stupid enough to let him go
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2024, 09:13 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: Are people seriously questioning Zac after a winning record when Joe was hurt or playing less than 100% for like 2/3 of the year in the best division ever?!?!

Thought we were past this nonsense after 2 straight AFCC games. At least for a couple years smh

Zac would be the most popular HC candidate in the league if we were stupid enough to let him go

Bill Belichick
Jim Harbaugh
Pete Carroll
Mike Vrabel
Nick Siriani (if he's fired)
Mike McCarthy (if he's fired)

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2024, 09:31 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Bill Belichick
Jim Harbaugh
Pete Carroll
Mike Vrabel

I think ZT would get the approval over a couple of those guys, with at least being evenly considered with all the names on that list. How he turned the Bengals around, plus his age would count for a whole lot.
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2024, 09:13 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: Are people seriously questioning Zac after a winning record when Joe was hurt or playing less than 100% for like 2/3 of the year in the best division ever?!?!

Folks do not like to be wrong. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(01-10-2024, 10:10 PM)Destro Wrote: Candyman, Candyman, Candyman

and he revealed himself.
Like a teenage girl driving a Ferrari. 
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2024, 10:04 PM)Emphasis Wrote: I think ZT would get the approval over a couple of those guys, with at least being evenly considered with all the names on that list. How he turned the Bengals around, plus his age would count for a whole lot.

If all the coaches were fired today and it was a grab…

Level 1
Shanahan, McVay, Andy Reid, Tomlin Sean Payton John Harbaugh Belichick

Level 2
Mike McDaniel Siriani Dan Campbell Zac Jim Harbaugh Stefanski Pederson McCarthy ( Zac would be near the first here)

Now that wouldn’t be my list but I’d think with the owners

Reply/Quote
(01-11-2024, 10:04 PM)Emphasis Wrote:  How he turned the Bengals around...

So, not Joe Burrow, then?
Like a teenage girl driving a Ferrari. 
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2024, 09:31 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Bill Belichick
Jim Harbaugh
Pete Carroll
Mike Vrabel

Yeah he’d be over all of the guys on that list who are available. Harbaugh is the one who might be in the same category but Jim has a history of rubbing people the wrong way and got the axe in short time from the 49ers even while winning. He’s coming off the Natty but has serious integrity concerns after all the issues popping up over the last year.

Belichick is old and hasn’t won without Brady. They’ve crashed since Tom left with no signs of improvement.

Carroll is also old and has 1 playoff win in the last 7 years. Both Pete and Bill are legends but neither has the luster they would have 10 years ago and both are over 70 years old.

Vrabel is an attractive option as well but fizzled the last few years and is a defensive guy in an offensive minded league. He’ll get another job this offseason for sure, but Zac would be the hotter option if available.

None of the coaches listed have won a playoff game since 2019. Zac has 5 playoff wins in that time, and has done it with a franchise that hadn’t won a playoff game in 3 decades before that.
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2024, 10:53 PM)Destro Wrote: So, not only Joe Burrow, then?

FIFY because this is what you really wanted to say Mr. Anti-Zac

Reply/Quote
(01-11-2024, 10:53 PM)Destro Wrote: So, not Joe Burrow, then?

Joe plays a part in this for sure. That said, if we are being 100% honest, Joe has not been a world beater in the playoffs.

Since Zac arrived:
Name free agents are coming
Practice bubble
Ring of honor
Multiple deep playoff runs

This does coincide with burrow, but name me another combo of essentially rookie HC and rookie QB that has had this much success this quick.

In the nfl world, most of the tim, its the combo that makes the great teams.

Let’s also not kid ourselves into thinking Cincinnati has ever, in my lifetime, been a destination job for the best proven candidates either, for many reasons. Zac may have changed that in the future as well.
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2024, 02:07 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: That's part of the reason I can't ever consider Zac a great HC. I think he's a good HC, but a great HC would definitely have moved on from his OL Coach/Run Game Coordinator, and probably moved on from Zac the Playcaller, too.

Zac would most likely want a different OL coach. The FO are the ones who brought Pollack back.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2024, 01:25 AM)Bengal Dude Wrote: Zac would most likely want a different OL coach. The FO are the ones who brought Pollack back.

This, it’s hard to understand the responsibilities in NFL at times. Especially true with the bengals.
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2024, 12:19 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I remember the good old days where you, me, and just about no one else (maybe a couple) supported Zac Taylor and were called all kinds of stuff for it.

Hey, hey, hey! I was one of the early Zac defenders. 
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2024, 12:20 AM)Bengalbug Wrote: This does coincide with burrow, but name me another combo of essentially rookie HC and rookie QB that has had this much success this quick.

Keeping it to just 2010 and more recent...

Nick Siriani + Jalen Hurts
Sean McVay + Jared Goff
Doug Pederson + Carson Wentz
Chuck Pagano + Andrew Luck
Sean McDermitt + Josh Allen
Kyle Shanahan + Jimmy G (Jimmy G had 2 starts before going to the 49ers) 
Pete Carroll + Russell Wilson (Pete Carroll only coached a couple years in the NFL like 11 years prior)
- - -
DeMeco Ryans + CJ Stroud this year are likely putting themselves on this list too. 
(Mike McDaniel + Tua is TBD but probably currently not here.)

Zac and Burrow have certainly had some real success, but it's not unprecedented or unmatched or anything. Gotta keep getting better, not worse.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote