Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Zac Taylor Extended
You know everybody wants to diminish Taylor especially offensively. I know a NFL head coach and a NFL OC. They are both very impressed with Taylor’s schemes. He’s held in high regard in the NFL offensively. I think they marvel how he’s done with that OL. I think if they fix the OL and develop a run game with the explosive Mixon then they will be unstoppable. I don’t think the average fan realizes the limitations in play calling with a poor OL.
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2022, 11:58 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Alright, let's do this Bengals! I hope Zac gets a COY award and a Lombardi Trophy in his future.

Maybe this is a good thread to pose my question. We talk a lot about how an improved OL will make Burrow even more dangerous as a QB by elevating his play.

Can we say the same about Taylor? If he has a better OL, is it possible some of his play calls execute better and thus we view him more highly as a head coach calling plays?

Who Dey

I'm behind Zac and excited about his extension (I fully admit I previously wanted him fired).

They made it to the Super Bowl Handicapped with that Oline. They had to adjust for it mightily.. The offense will dominate with a Oline.. Zac will be able to call whatever he wants then.. His hands were sorta tied this year..
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2022, 12:26 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: You know everybody wants to diminish Taylor especially offensively. I know a NFL head coach and a NFL OC. They are both very impressed with Taylor’s schemes. He’s held in high regard in the NFL offensively. I think they marvel how he’s done with that OL. I think if they fix the OL and develop a run game with the explosive Mixon then they will be unstoppable. I don’t think the average fan realizes the limitations in play calling with a poor OL.

Correct, if you can't win the point of attack, it really hampers what you're trying to do. The line did improve over 2020, but it's still not enough for the style of offense they want to run.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2022, 12:26 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: You know everybody wants to diminish Taylor especially offensively. I know a NFL head coach and a NFL OC. They are both very impressed with Taylor’s schemes. He’s held in high regard in the NFL offensively. I think they marvel how he’s done with that OL. I think if they fix the OL and develop a run game with the explosive Mixon then they will be unstoppable. I don’t think the average fan realizes the limitations in play calling with a poor OL.

What are you talking about. They were averaging 4.8 yards a carry. If your offensive line is atrocious why use an offensive formation that maximizes the pressure the offensive line will face and use that formation for 80 percent of the game. Jimmy Johnson has already called out Taylor’s shotgun on 4th and 1.

His previous work as a coordinator was average. In x/o He does not come across as being very bright. That’s my opinion. His organization communication, motivation and discipline skills are superb/excellent

Joe Burrow will win a Super Bowl with or without Taylor. With an above average game/planner strategist he has a chance to equal Brady IMO. That won’t happen with Taylor as a play caller
Reply/Quote
Hopefully Zac went into the negotiations not all about money (right) and made sure he established the continued FA approach etc. Doubt in door practice facility was anything that came up but he was negotiating from a position of power, so maybe he got some concessions.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote

Then why does he always want to go for it in short yardage like we have the hogs from the 80's?
Reply/Quote
He changed thing around. Just get a real offensive coordinator and line. Give up play calling
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2022, 12:33 PM)Oasis5055 Wrote: What are you talking about. They were averaging 4.8 yards a carry. If your offensive line is atrocious why use an offensive formation that maximizes the pressure the offensive line will face and use that formation for 80 percent of the game. Jimmy Johnson has already called out Taylor’s shotgun on 4th and 1.

It was a shot gun because they were going for the win as they got single coverage on their 2 best receivers. The biggest mistake was not having Mixon in over Perine. Today Zac said Perine was their 2 minute offense back. I’m sure that’s for blocking reasons. But my post was not claiming that Sunday was Zac’s best called game. It was about his reputation in the NFL offensively. It’s very good. I’ve got definitive opinions from two NFL experts. The other thing is they didn’t account for double teaming Donald. But Burrow needed to go to Higgins there quicker too. Donald was not going to be denied. The Rams rushed 4 we had 5 to block. That’s on the OL.
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2022, 11:48 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: That was quick. Hopefully Zac is the guy.

Think our Success was more the Grit of Burrow... but Zac was here...   Lets see how it all plays out
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2022, 11:58 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Alright, let's do this Bengals! I hope Zac gets a COY award and a Lombardi Trophy in his future.

Maybe this is a good thread to pose my question. We talk a lot about how an improved OL will make Burrow even more dangerous as a QB by elevating his play.

Can we say the same about Taylor? If he has a better OL, is it possible some of his play calls execute better and thus we view him more highly as a head coach calling plays?

Who Dey

I'm behind Zac and excited about his extension (I fully admit I previously wanted him fired).

I wouldn't doubt it in the least.

We just made it to the Super Bowl with the 3 stooges Oline. Yes it get it - Burrow. But just imagine what this team could have been with even an average Oline.
Reply/Quote

Who Dey

Right. Taylor is not exactly able to call the plays that take a while to develop when he faces teams with good D lines. 
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2022, 12:59 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Think our Success was more the Grit of Burrow... but Zac was here...   Lets see how it all plays out

It really is interesting because as much as the players keep telling us it is Zac fans keep saying they know better. There are plenty of ways to talk about success and not give your coach a ton of credit without being a dick or risking your job, all the players go out of their way to specifically praise him. 
Reply/Quote

Yeah...the OL is the variable that's really hard to factor in. Plus, they got to the SB and while the roster is talented, the Bills and Chiefs have more talent.

As a HC, I think he has some good qualities. I do think the offense improved. I think I see improved strategies too.

I know people say it's Burrow...and maybe it is somewhat. But, look how much Trevor Lawrence struggled. Actually most of the rookie QB's struggle. They struggle Year 2 also.

So, I'm fine with this. Plus, I see teams do HC searches...and the candidates are kind of meh. I actually liked Flores as a coach, and he gets fired. So it's hard to tell.
Reply/Quote
He's got a few things that he can improve on, but this is true for pretty much any coach in the league. He has done a phenomenal job turning the franchise around, and although initially, I was a skeptic, I'm not fully on board with this guy and glad that he's here with us.

Good for him.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(02-16-2022, 01:01 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Right. Taylor is not exactly able to call the plays that take a while to develop when he faces teams with good D lines. 

I know it's a simple point and perhaps I've overlooked such conversation on this forum, but I can't recall enough emphasis being placed on the OL also being a detriment to Coach Taylor. I recall many posts that suggest Zac should give up play calling, but maybe some wouldn't think it if an improved OL also elevated Zac's play calling. It's not just Burrow suffering from poor OL play I suppose is my "Aha" moment of the day. I'm probably late to the game in thinking about this. 
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2022, 12:59 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I wouldn't doubt it in the least.

We just made it to the Super Bowl with the 3 stooges Oline. Yes it get it - Burrow. But just imagine what this team could have been with even an average Oline.

IF Reiff were healthy, I think we win the SB.
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2022, 01:07 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Yeah...the OL is the variable that's really hard to factor in. Plus, they got to the SB and while the roster is talented, the Bills and Chiefs have more talent.

As a HC, I think he has some good qualities. I do think the offense improved. I think I see improved strategies too.

I know people say it's Burrow...and maybe it is somewhat. But, look how much Trevor Lawrence struggled. Actually most of the rookie QB's struggle. They struggle Year 2 also.

So, I'm fine with this. Plus, I see teams do HC searches...and the candidates are kind of meh. I actually liked Flores as a coach, and he gets fired. So it's hard to tell.

Yep. Had Boyd caught the pass with a great chance to get the 1st down which would have taken more minutes off the clock and/or Wilson not gotten flagged for the shit call then there's a great chance they're the SB champs and there's not even a word about ZT and his inability as a play caller.
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2022, 01:13 PM)higgy100 Wrote: Yep. Had Boyd caught the pass with a great chance to get the 1st down which would have taken more minutes off the clock and/or Wilson not gotten flagged for the shit call then there's a great chance they're the SB champs and there's not even a word about ZT and his inability as a play caller.

Do you think Boyd would have got a 1st?
Reply/Quote
Well earned. I doubt he will be the lowest paid HC anymore. Can’t complain about this. 4 years will take us through some new core pieces, so once this core moves on/ages it’ll give him a chance to see if he can recreate with a new core, and if he can’t it’ll only be about a year of him.
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2022, 01:10 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: IF Reiff were healthy, I think we win the SB.

Perhaps ?

Or even a decent RT and a RG that wasn't getting steam rolled every other play.
Reply/Quote