Zac Taylor play calling is trash!
lol ALEX Kemp
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2023, 02:54 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: lol ALEX Kemp

Just call him the flag happy ref  Mellow
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2023, 11:25 AM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Yep I learned from conversation with Chuck Long when he was OU OC exactly this. They’d run plays with Adrian Peterson that would result in minor success. They’d run it several times in a game. Never with much success. Then they ran the play blocking the linebacker completely different than previous and he was flattened resulting in a long TD run in the fourth quarter. They were setting it up. Linebacker never saw it coming.

Sounds about right. Dick around for 3.5 quarters before making an adjustment.
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2023, 04:47 PM)Earendil Wrote: For the love of everything holy, will you two please take this to private messages and stop cluttering up threads????

(11-07-2023, 01:46 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Sounds about right. Dick around for 3.5 quarters before making an adjustment.

To the members of the board it’s up to you. I’m not going to respond any more to Breech on any of his comments unless he’s directly commenting to me. If you want it to not happen address it. Somebody has to be the grown up.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
ZT almost cost us another win like he did a few times last year by not kicking a FG when he had the chance.  I'm talking about the decision to go for it on 4th down during the 3rd quarter when we were well within $$ Mac's range.  We won by 6 and should have won by 9, but ZT got his head up his rear end and turned the ball over on 4th down.

Take the points when you have the chance, and KICK the DAMN FG ZT!  We cannot afford a bonehead loss with the way the AFC North is shaping up.
Reply/Quote
(11-07-2023, 10:48 AM)BIGDADDYFROMCINCINNATI Wrote: ZT almost cost us another win like he did a few times last year by not kicking a FG when he had the chance.  I'm talking about the decision to go for it on 4th down during the 3rd quarter when we were well within $$ Mac's range.  We won by 6 and should have won by 9, but ZT got his head up his rear end and turned the ball over on 4th down.

Take the point when you have the chance, and KICK the DAMN FG ZT!  We cannot afford a bonehead loss with the way the AFC North is shaping up.

"Almost" only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades. HORSESHOES AND HAND GRENADES!!
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
Got to give them credit for the play call on the last drive. Buffalo closes within 6. We get the ball at the 25. General thought is to play conservative and try to run out the clock. But 1st play....32 yard pass complete to Boyd. That was a good call.
Reply/Quote
(11-07-2023, 10:53 AM)PhilHos Wrote: "Almost" only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades. HORSESHOES AND HAND GRENADES!!

Just like ZT's decision to go for it "ALMOST"  got us a 1st down and cost us an easy 3-points.  His decision not to kick the FG directly cost us a win in the first game last year against Baltimore.  
Reply/Quote
(11-07-2023, 11:07 AM)BIGDADDYFROMCINCINNATI Wrote: Just like ZT's decision to go for it "ALMOST"  got us a 1st down and cost us an easy 3-points.  His decision not to kick the FG directly cost us a win in the first game last year against Baltimore.  

It's really hard to say that this is the case since the situation was in the third quarter. The game flow changes if they take that FG. In hindsight, it undoubtedly does help us. However, to act like kicking that FG leads to a sure win is also misled. We can't just insert the missing three points and then act like the rest of the game ends up the same, because it wouldn't. I definitely would have taken the points that close, though. It's the midfield area where, I think, teams should be much more aggressive. 
Reply/Quote
(11-07-2023, 11:21 AM)KillerGoose Wrote: It's really hard to say that this is the case since the situation was in the third quarter. The game flow changes if they take that FG. In hindsight, it undoubtedly does help us. However, to act like kicking that FG leads to a sure win is also misled. We can't just insert the missing three points and then act like the rest of the game ends up the same, because it wouldn't. I definitely would have taken the points that close, though. It's the midfield area where, I think, teams should be much more aggressive. 

Yep. When you're in that range where coaches have to decide on a long FG or a punt, they should choose go for it on 4th instead (obviously still dependent on things like yards to go for 1st, weather conditions, how much game is left, etc.) but when you're in clear FG range and not losing by more than 2 TDs, kick the FG.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(11-07-2023, 11:07 AM)BIGDADDYFROMCINCINNATI Wrote: Just like ZT's decision to go for it "ALMOST"  got us a 1st down and cost us an easy 3-points.  His decision not to kick the FG directly cost us a win in the first game last year against Baltimore.  

...since when did 55 yard FG attempts become "easy" points? McPherson is 4-7 at 50+ this year.

I think Zac is a bad OC (good HC), but I agreed with him on going for it. I just didn't agree with the play to try to get it.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote

Ha ha just bear SF & the Bills what a take
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(11-07-2023, 12:17 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: ...since when did 55 yard FG attempts become "easy" points? McPherson is 4-7 at 50+ this year.

I think Zac is a bad OC (good HC), but I agreed with him on going for it. I just didn't agree with the play to try to get it.

(11-07-2023, 10:48 AM)BIGDADDYFROMCINCINNATI Wrote: ZT almost cost us another win like he did a few times last year by not kicking a FG when he had the chance.  I'm talking about the decision to go for it on 4th down during the 3rd quarter when we were well within $$ Mac's range.  We won by 6 and should have won by 9, but ZT got his head up his rear end and turned the ball over on 4th down.

Take the points when you have the chance, and KICK the DAMN FG ZT!  We cannot afford a bonehead loss with the way the AFC North is shaping up.

Same guy?
Paul Dehner - The Athletic : Two near-perfect drives to open the game posted a 14-7 lead. The opening offensive scripts from Taylor and the staff have changed the dynamic of the season. They’ve now scored seven touchdowns and a field goal on the first two drives of the last four games. They’ve not relinquished those leads once. They lead the NFL in turning leads into wins the last three years and they know it.

Joe Burrow “ Zac and our coaches come up with a really good script early on to start the games to attack what we are trying to see and we always feel good about it”

Reply/Quote
(11-07-2023, 12:17 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: ...since when did 55 yard FG attempts become "easy" points? McPherson is 4-7 at 50+ this year.

• $$ Mac has been on point, and anytime your kicker is in the groove, you roll with him; 

• In the 2nd quarter, he drilled one from that range (56 yards) and the refs called a false start, but he did make it; 

• $$ Mac did make a 56-yard attempt in SF.  

So no wind, great weather,  and a 4th and 5.  It would have been a 54-yard attempt as the ball was on the Bills' 37-yard line, and you're not going to trust your kicker?  
That puts us up by 14 points to start the 4th quarter and would have eventually put the game outta reach.

I'm trusting my kicker and making it a 2-TD game heading into the 4th quarter.
Reply/Quote
The main thing still annoying in the play calling is how we get too "cute" in goal to go situations. Especially the wide plays which have not worked in a long while. We have a power line and the left side of it in particular moves bodies. Yet the play seems rarely to power run left inside/outside.
Reply/Quote
(11-07-2023, 02:06 PM)BIGDADDYFROMCINCINNATI Wrote:
  • $$ Mac has been on point, and anytime your kicker is in the groove, you roll with him; 

• In the 2nd quarter, he drilled one from that range (56 yards) and the refs called a false start, but he did make it; 

So no wind, great weather,  and a 4th and 5.  It would have been a 54-yard attempt as the ball was on the Bills' 37-yard line, and you're not going to trust your kicker?  
That puts us up by 14 points to start the 4th quarter and would have eventually put the game outta reach.

Barely....
Reply/Quote

Cost us another win? Can’t go that far but I would have kicked it. It was not some bad decision. If you think Zac is Caesar or The Ayatollah or Bill Parcells he’s not. I’m sure there was a staff consensus but like I said it wasn’t like kicking or going for it was an ironclad one.

Reply/Quote
(11-07-2023, 12:35 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Same guy?
Paul Dehner  - The Athletic : Two near-perfect drives to open the game posted a 14-7 lead. The opening offensive scripts from Taylor and the staff have changed the dynamic of the season. They’ve now scored seven touchdowns and a field goal on the first two drives of the last four games. They’ve not relinquished those leads once. They lead the NFL in turning leads into wins the last three years and they know it.

Joe Burrow “ Zac and our coaches come up with a really good script early on to start the games to attack what we are trying to see and we always feel good about it”

Exactly. To start games. After that?

They scored 3 points in the second half against Buffalo.
Or in Quarters 2 and 3 against the 49ers, where they scored 3 points. 
Or against the Seahawks where they only scored 17 points, including only 3 in the second half?

If you have Joe Burrow, Ja'Marr Chase, Tee Higgins, and Tyler Boyd, you shouldn't routinely be going 2 quarter stretches where you're only scoring 3 points.

(11-07-2023, 02:06 PM)BIGDADDYFROMCINCINNATI Wrote:

Mac hasn't been on point. He literally missed a 50+ fg just the week prior, in that 49ers game you brought up.

He is currently in a 3-way tie for 23rd in FG%.

As Sled mentioned, he barely squeaked that FG that got called back in. It wasn't exactly a confidence builder that another one was going to be an "easy" 3 points.

I agreed with going for it, but I didn't like the play to try to get it. I have no problem with people who wanted to kick the FG, but I do have a problem with anyone who calls it an "easy" 3 points. 54 yards FGs aren't gimmies you can just assume you get.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(11-07-2023, 03:22 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Exactly. To start games. After that?

They scored 3 points in the second half against Buffalo.
Or in Quarters 2 and 3 against the 49ers, where they scored 3 points. 
Or against the Seahawks where they only scored 17 points, including only 3 in the second half?

If you have Joe Burrow, Ja'Marr Chase, Tee Higgins, and Tyler Boyd, you shouldn't routinely be going 2 quarter stretches where you're only scoring 3 points.

Mac hasn't been on point. He literally missed a 50+ fg just the week prior, in that 49ers game you brought up.

He is currently in a 3-way tie for 23rd in FG%.

As Sled mentioned, he barely squeaked that FG that got called back in. It wasn't exactly a confidence builder that another one was going to be an "easy" 3 points.

I agreed with going for it, but I didn't like the play to try to get it. I have no problem with people who wanted to kick the FG, but I do have a problem with anyone who calls it an "easy" 3 points. 54 yards FGs aren't gimmies you can just assume you get.

A year or so ago we started too slow for you. They’ve worked hard on quicker starts. After deferring on most tosses they started being more aggressive in improving. Now all the pundits complain about the second half. Duh! Why does that not shock me.

Reply/Quote
(11-07-2023, 02:21 PM)Joelist Wrote: The main thing still annoying in the play calling is how we get too "cute" in goal to go situations. Especially the wide plays which have not worked in a long while. We have a power line and the left side of it in particular moves bodies. Yet the play seems rarely to power run left inside/outside.

I agree but Brown & Volson are just now earning that trust. They weren’t earlier. The OL is getting better. As the coaches say Burrow’s success right now can easily be attributed to better OL play and of course his health.

Reply/Quote