Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Zac Taylor's Play Calling In OT Was Unforgivable
(12-12-2021, 11:17 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Some people will attack Zac at all times. Others will defend him at all times.

I don't see any reason to defend the guy for going all Marvin Lewis after passes of 26 and 23 yards that got us in that spot to begin with.

As you move towards the goal line, you dont have the field you have before. we also make some big runs on our drives  in 4th and i believe in OT to get us down there.. we were 1 and 4 in Red Zone today, i believe with like 1 or 2 completions.. it is not as simple as people wont to make it out, I was at the game, there also was a play on one red zone that Burrow should have dumped it off to Perine , uncovered outside but he took a sack.. now im not going to just blame him for the failure no different than im going to blame ZT.. this game came down to two simple issues

1. We sucked on specials in 1st
2.  We sucked as usual in 1st quarter
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2021, 11:28 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Me either

In the words of Tony Dungy "you play to win the game" 

That wasn't Dungy!!!! That was Herm Edwards, you racist! Lol
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2021, 11:28 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Me either

In the words of Tony Dungy "you play to win the game" 

That was Herm Edwards.
Like a teenage girl driving a Ferrari. 
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2021, 11:28 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: It is, how to say, Unpredicatable!

Yeah, I mean who would predict that he'd keep trying to do something that hadn't worked all game?
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2021, 11:31 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: That wasn't Dungy!!!! That was Herm Edwards, you racist! Lol

oops

Still true though
Reply/Quote
And let us not forget the TO before the FG kick earlier. Wasted TO to do what you were supposed to do.

Bengals had momentum with what was going on. After getting the ball, drive down the field, Pass to Chase to force OT. Get to OT and two plays on the DBs of over 20 then…run, run? Then the no blitz protection for third down?

Notice the 49ers saw what worked, worked it over and over until they scored
A TD to win. One coach went to win. One went to kick a FG. Think if coaches switched teams before the game it ends the same way?
Like a teenage girl driving a Ferrari. 
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2021, 11:30 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: As you move towards the goal line, you dont have the field you have before. we also make some big runs on our drives  in 4th and i believe in OT to get us down there.. we were 1 and 4 in Red Zone today, i believe with like 1 or 2 completions.. it is not as simple as people wont to make it out, I was at the game, there also was a play on one red zone that Burrow should have dumped it off to Perine , uncovered outside but he took a sack.. now im not going to just blame him for the failure no different than im going to blame ZT.. this game came down to two simple issues

1. We sucked on specials in 1st
2.  We sucked as usual in 1st quarter

Burrow was 25/34 for 348 and 2 scores (0 picks) while Mixon was 18 for 58.

Seems pretty clear who should've had the ball. This is like defending Pete Carroll for not using Beast Mode. Mellow

Agree with your reasons at the end, I'd just throw this in there as well. Agree to disagree I guess.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2021, 11:40 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Burrow was 25/34 for 348 and 2 scores (0 picks) while Mixon was 18 for 58.

Seems pretty clear who should've had the ball. This is like defending Pete Carroll for not using Beast Mode. Mellow

Agree with your reasons at the end, I'd just throw this in there as well. Agree to disagree I guess.

Now we must ask ourselves?  What does Zac Taylor really bring to this team, if anything?

I've been pondering this all season and now I know.  We are 7-6 in spite of Zac Taylor, not because of him.  His playcalling is absolutely atrocious.  When Perine gets targeted on 9 of 51 plays with our set of skill players, something is *&@#$&^ wrong!  He's a backup running back FFS!
Down 2 starting CB's and you run it over and over an over when it doesn't work instead of exploiting the secondary? 

Unbelievable Zac Taylor.  Really it is.  Let Brian call the plays and just stop for once, because you suck.

"Our offensive line is going to surprise a lot of people" - Mike Brown (7-26-21)
Reply/Quote
agree that those run plays were not good calls at that particular time after Burrow had figured out the soft spot in front of the Safety's and exploiting it.
Plus they were sitting their Safety's high all day long daring the Bengals to run and the Bengals could not even achieve this which allowed 49ers to stay deep with Safety help throughout game. We already knew that was not working.

Their D-line dominated the Bengals O-line and made the running game noneffective. Was getting plenty of pressure on passing plays too but Burrow was a warrior almost got team to the finish line somehow.

Just think it was silly to take the ball out of Joe's hands at this juncture when something seemed to be working and turn back to the run.

Definitely would like to see a play calling OC added next year at the least. Yet there is lots of blame to go around

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2021, 11:07 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Do we think Joe had the freedom to audible out of the runs; if he saw something?

He only audibles when the play works..... Ninja

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(12-13-2021, 12:04 AM)Go Cards Wrote: agree that those run plays were not good calls at that particular time after Burrow had figured out the soft spot in front of the Safety's and exploiting it.
Plus they were sitting their Safety's high all day long daring the Bengals to run and the Bengals could not even achieve this which allowed 49ers to stay deep with Safety help throughout game.  We already knew that was not working.  

Their D-line dominated the Bengals O-line and made the running game noneffective. Was getting plenty of pressure on passing plays too but Burrow was a warrior almost got team to the finish line somehow.

Just think it was silly to take the ball out of Joe's hands at this juncture when something seemed to be working and turn back to the run.  

Definitely would like to see a play calling OC added next year at the least. Yet there is lots of blame to go around

I dunno Cards..... I'm looking squarely at Darius Phillips and Money Mac today. One gave the opponent 10 points, one left three points on the field. If either of them do their job, we likely don't even go to OT.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(12-12-2021, 10:20 PM)Synric Wrote: The 49ers ran a cover 2 7 man box. You can run in those situations. Wasnt playcalling it was run blocking.

I get what you're saying.  At the same time, the reason SF was playing Cover 2 with a 7 man box was that they were short handed at CB and couldn't match up.  You play to their strength by running the ball, which is exactly what they want.  
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2021, 12:17 AM)Whatever Wrote: I get what you're saying.  At the same time, the reason SF was playing Cover 2 with a 7 man box was that they were short handed at CB and couldn't match up.  You play to their strength by running the ball, which is exactly what they want.  

Because yet again Zac was out coached. Gotta say one thing about him he's consistent. 
Reply/Quote
Just watched OT again. 3rd and 3. We have Prince trying to block Bosa 1 on 1. There is not a single 3 yard route being ran. We have 3 WRs shooting down the field and Perine as an outlet 2 yards downfield with his back turned to the first down while Burrow is getting blitzed. This was preceded by a premeditated run play on 2nd down because they broke the huddle and ran the play on a quick silent count. There was no studying the D looking at their foemation or anything on 2nd down.

This sequence right here completely falls on ZT. A good HC does not scheme things up this way. What a joke.
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2021, 10:21 PM)bfine32 Wrote: The 2 run netted us 7 yards. The one pass lost us 4. We should have ran it a 3rd time. 

Actually, the three passes netted 45 yards, and the three rushes netted 7.

....or are we just pretending the first half of the drive didn't exist and they got all the way down there without throwing?

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2021, 10:20 PM)Synric Wrote: The 49ers ran a cover 2 7 man box. You can run in those situations. Wasnt playcalling it was run blocking.

You don't call those play cuz the niners baited him into it, is the point... They weren't running  with any success against that look all game, and they tried over and over and over. What was gonna magically change in OT?
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2021, 10:22 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: 18 carries 58 yards, trust the run someday it might get 4 yards. if it doesn't work all day by god it will work in OT at the most critical spot. keep zac taylor for 20 more years!

Bfine wants to run it on 3rd and 3 ,like short yardage is our specialty lol.. They had the box loaded too..
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2021, 01:33 AM)thompson19osu Wrote: Just watched OT again. 3rd and 3. We have Prince trying to block Bosa 1 on 1. There is not a single 3 yard route being ran. We have 3 WRs shooting down the field and Perine as an outlet 2 yards downfield with his back turned to the first down while Burrow is getting blitzed. This was preceded by a premeditated run play on 2nd down because they broke the huddle and ran the play on a quick silent count. There was no studying the D looking at their foemation or anything on 2nd down.

This sequence right here completely falls on ZT. A good HC does not scheme things up this way. What a joke.

Think about that  - ISAIAH PRINCE 1-1 with Bosa. There was no one they could have backing up Prince to slow Bosa? They have done crap like this all season  - remember Drew Sample 1-1 against an elite pass rusher? This is horsecrap scheming. 
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2021, 01:35 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Actually, the three passes netted 45 yards, and the three rushes netted 7.

....or are we just pretending the first half of the drive didn't exist and they got all the way down there without throwing?

Apparently we are, because Zac is getting no credit for calling it. You do realize the closer you get to the end zone you have to adjust your play calling....don't you?

We have one of the best RBs in the NFL, who is only a couple weeks from winning NFL Offensive Player of the week award. We tried to expose what the D gave us and it didn't work perfectly. It did work well enough to give us the lead in OT. But you cannot rationalize with a fan base.. 

I guarantee you if we pass of 1st down and turn the ball over, the same folks calling this "inexcusable" would be calling that "inexcusable". Something like..."We were in position to get points and take the lead in OT. Our D had been shutting down Jimmy G all day, missing out on the points in that instance is unforgivable"..

Tell me I'm wrong..
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(12-13-2021, 01:40 AM)Tony Wrote: Bfine wants to run it on 3rd and 3 ,like short yardage is our specialty lol.. They had the box loaded too..

Yes, obviously passing was the right call on 3rd down..

Did you think that one though at all..
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote