Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Zac Taylor's Play Calling In OT Was Unforgivable
(12-13-2021, 01:40 AM)Joelist Wrote: Think about that  - ISAIAH PRINCE 1-1 with Bosa. There was no one they could have backing up Prince to slow Bosa? They have done crap like this all season  - remember Drew Sample 1-1 against an elite pass rusher? This is horsecrap scheming. 

Yep Uzomah in the backfield picking up the blitz from the same side and Prince 1 on 1 with our WRs running 10+ yard routes on a down we needed 3 yards. Just brilliant.
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2021, 10:33 PM)Millhouse Wrote: So there is a trend here.

And another poster says run on third down in OT. Ya that worked great running 3 times right outta the half.. 
Reply/Quote
Not going after those rookie CB’s was a mistake. Period.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
Even the announcers were telling the viewers where the Bengals had to throw the ball, exposing the niner's weakneses. Sure enough, every time they did, it would be fore a 20 yrd pass gain.

I wanted Zac gone last year, I still want him gone now, since game one.
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2021, 01:43 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Apparently we are, because Zac is getting no credit for calling it. You do realize the closer you get to the end zone you have to adjust your play calling....don't you?

We have one of the best RBs in the NFL, who is only a couple weeks from winning NFL Offensive Player of the week award. We tried to expose what the D gave us and it didn't work perfectly. It did work well enough to give us the lead in OT. But you cannot rationalize with a fan base.. 

I guarantee you if we pass of 1st down and turn the ball over, the same folks calling this "inexcusable" would be calling that "inexcusable". Something like..."We were in position to get points and take the lead in OT. Our D had been shutting down Jimmy G all day, missing out on the points in that instance is unforgivable"..

Tell me I'm wrong..

So 30 yards of field isn't enough space to work a passing game in? That is absurd.

That RB had been getting nothing all day long. The passing game was there all game long. They have like backup-backup CBs in there.

Playing for a FG when you can instead play for a TD is how losers play. 

I guarantee you if Mixon carries the ball and fumbles it, the same folks... See, I can do that too. You are basing your argument on the theoretical reaction of fans after a theoretical negative result that never happened. Meanwhile in reality Burrow had a 125.6 QB Rating and had all the momentum of a huge comeback and two big passing plays and Mixon finished with 18 carries for 58 yards and had already been stuffed for no gain earlier on the drive.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2021, 10:36 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: I'm still baffled he took zero shots for the end zone and a gaming winning TD. He settled for the FG.

This is unforgivable... What the **** was even going through his head? It makes no sense at all.. 
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2021, 10:36 PM)Synric Wrote: It's hard to get this point across to people that don't see the defense. What was the the look? Cover 2 is a light man box vs 11 personnel that screams run.

IT Wasn't working all game, why try it again in the most importan part of the game. He took the ball out of the guys hands who got them back in it... I don't care what anyone says. This was downright stupid..
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2021, 01:57 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: So 30 yards of field isn't enough space to work a passing game in? That is absurd.

That RB had been getting nothing all day long. The passing game was there all game long. They have like backup-backup CBs in there.

Playing for a FG when you can instead play for a TD is how losers play. 

I guarantee you if Mixon carries the ball and fumbles it, the same folks... See, I can do that too. You are basing your argument on the theoretical reaction of fans after a theoretical negative result that never happened. Meanwhile in reality Burrow had a 125.6 QB Rating and had all the momentum of a huge comeback and two big passing plays and Mixon finished with 18 carries for 58 yards and had already been stuffed for no gain earlier on the drive.

If Zac was "playing for a FG" why did we pass on 3rd down? 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(12-13-2021, 01:57 AM)Synric Wrote: Baited? Seriously what does that mean?

Reading coverage and a cover 2 light box a run play is high percentage especially the shotgun inside zone the Bengal ran late in the game. Problem was the Bengals didn't run block.

Play calls weren't an issue play execution was a problem all night.

Yes there were pass plays they could have called in that situation but that is all hindsight... Facts. Cover 2 Light Box an Inside Zone/Tight Zone are acceptable play calls.

If they were going to run then do the outside zone they trained on instead of shotgun inside zone which is a VERY easy to defend run scheme. The rolled both the Stealers and Raiders with it then inexplicably just stopped using it. 
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2021, 01:59 AM)Tony Wrote: IT Wasn't working all game, why try it again in the most importan part of the game. He took the ball out of the guys hands who got them back in it... I don't care what anyone says. This was downright stupid..

Do you throw into coverage or run into a light box? Its not as simple as run play pass play you are trying to project.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(12-12-2021, 11:11 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: So when we are scoring in 4th, does that not go to Taylor also for credit??  so if Zac is 0-24 behind in 4th, what does that make Burrow then?  0-?? .. it is a team game not a one coach or one person game. 

Dude we get it, you don't like Joe Burrow.. We get it already..
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2021, 02:01 AM)Joelist Wrote: If they were going to run then do the outside zone they trained on instead of shotgun inside zone which is a VERY easy to defend run scheme. The rolled both the Stealers and Raiders with it then inexplicably just stopped using it.

11 Personnel Inside Zone vs Cover 2 is a good play call because you have a light box.

Its not a simple as calling a pass play vs run play.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(12-13-2021, 01:48 AM)thompson19osu Wrote: Yep Uzomah in the backfield picking up the blitz from the same side and Prince 1 on 1 with our WRs running 10+ yard routes on a down we needed 3 yards. Just brilliant.

Heaven forbid they run a quick slant route with either the back or TE specifically helping Prince against Bosa. That would have made too much sense. 
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2021, 11:17 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Some people will attack Zac at all times. Others will defend him at all times.

I don't see any reason to defend the guy for going all Marvin Lewis after passes of 26 and 23 yards that got us in that spot to begin with.

Finally! Some logic..
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2021, 01:45 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Yes, obviously passing was the right call on 3rd down..

Did you think that one though at all..

The run woulda got blown up too. The point is they needed to pass on 1st or 2nd down.. they baited Zack into it to keep the game alive for them, and he bought it hook line and sinker. Maybe if they didn't leave Prince 1 on 1 with Bosa , that coulda helped..
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2021, 01:56 AM)Bengalitis Wrote: Even the announcers were telling the viewers where the Bengals had to throw the ball, exposing the niner's weakneses. Sure enough, every time they did, it would be fore a 20 yrd pass gain.

I wanted Zac gone last year, I still want him gone now, since game one.

They said it on football night in America too.. Chris Simms was screaming, why aren't they exposing the 9ers weakness.. Shoulda been a slant to Chase or Higgins on 3rd. Something quick...
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2021, 01:59 AM)bfine32 Wrote: If Zac was "playing for a FG" why did we pass on 3rd down? 

If Zac wasn't playing for a FG, why did they run it on both 1st and 2nd downs after throwing it twice for 49 yards and running it once for 0 yards, while his RB had 16 carries for 51 yards?

Before those back-to-back runs, Burrow was on a 4-4, 110 yards, 1 TD passing streak. 29 yard pass, 32 yard TD pass, 26 yard pass, 23 yard pass. Then they get to recover and recompose themselves from some runs before getting to pin their ears back for a 3rd down pass rush.

Reply/Quote
(12-13-2021, 02:05 AM)Synric Wrote: 11 Personnel Inside Zone vs Cover 2 is a good play call because you have a light box.

Its not a simple as calling a pass play vs run play.

Ya it was so good, it worked really well... Got us a fat L
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2021, 02:21 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: If Zac wasn't playing for a FG, why did they run it on both 1st and 2nd downs after throwing it twice for 49 yards and running it once for 0 yards, while his RB had 16 carries for 51 yards?

I don't feel like you answered my question..that's just rude.

If Zac was playing for a FG, why did we try to throw it on 3rd down?
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(12-13-2021, 02:25 AM)bfine32 Wrote: I don't feel like you answered my question..that's just rude.

If Zac was playing for a FG, why did we try to throw it on 3rd down?

You mean like not answering my question of why 30 yards of football field isn't enough space for a passing game when you decided to be condescending about having to adjust your calls to being runs?

He threw it on 3rd down because he needed a first down so he could run out more clock before kicking the FG. He is the type of guy who ignores the concept of game winning TDs for running out the clock to give the other team less time after his FG.

Reply/Quote