Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Zac Taylor's Play Calling In OT Was Unforgivable
It was ridiculous. Put either the TE or the RB to helping Prince with Bosa and call a quick slant on the primary with an endzone shot as the option. Almost certainly they get the first down.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2021, 02:22 AM)Tony Wrote: Ya it was so good, it worked really well... Got us a fat L

Lol you're right it's simple. What play would you call vs cover 2 man inside leverage?

PS: We are talking about coverage after the fact.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
I would ran a slant or chip Bosa with a TE and leak him out and get the first..  We will never know if our theory would work, but yours definitely didn't... I still say the Niners baited Zac into doing this..They qere stopping the run with a 4 man pressure all game at the line.. That's why it was stupid to go conservative,  because the chances were so low it was gonna work. They tried this approach all game and it didn't work. The only scoring that happened on when they turned Burrow loose.. Joe's gotta be getting sick of this shit. 
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2021, 01:43 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Apparently we are, because Zac is getting no credit for calling it. You do realize the closer you get to the end zone you have to adjust your play calling....don't you?

We have one of the best RBs in the NFL, who is only a couple weeks from winning NFL Offensive Player of the week award. We tried to expose what the D gave us and it didn't work perfectly. It did work well enough to give us the lead in OT. But you cannot rationalize with a fan base.. 

I guarantee you if we pass of 1st down and turn the ball over, the same folks calling this "inexcusable" would be calling that "inexcusable". Something like..."We were in position to get points and take the lead in OT. Our D had been shutting down Jimmy G all day, missing out on the points in that instance is unforgivable"..

Tell me I'm wrong..

Ummm your wrong...

Oh and DennyG called, he wants his schtick back Ninja
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2021, 03:09 AM)Tony Wrote: I would ran a slant or chip Bosa with a TE and leak him out and get the first.. None of the stuff you are saying worked.. We will never know if our theory would work, but yours definitely didn't... I still say the Niners baited Zac into doing this..

A slant vs inside leverage is an easy pick. You had cover 2 inside leverage aka a light box you run  the inside duo zone tight zone run plays. If you were forced to throw and they werent in overtime you run the whip or corner routes sell inside break outside.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(12-13-2021, 03:12 AM)GodFather Wrote: Ummm your wrong...

Oh and DennyG called, he wants his schtick back Ninja

He's definitely wrong because the shit didnt work. I don't understand what these guys are arguing. It didn't work. I don't care what coverage, blah blah blah. It didn't work plain and simple and it didn't all game. This should put the nail in Zacs coffin... He even admitted in the presser he ****** up, and these guys are still defending it...
Reply/Quote

Remember this quote?

“Just put it in my hands. It’s over” ~Joe Burrow

Reply/Quote
(12-13-2021, 03:14 AM)Synric Wrote: A slant vs inside leverage is an easy pick. You had cover 2 inside leverage aka a light box you run  the inside duo zone tight zone run plays. If you were forced to throw and they werent in overtime you run the whip or corner routes sell inside break outside.

You don't know if it would have worked or not.  One thing we do know trying to play smash mouth being conservative definitely didn't work...
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2021, 03:17 AM)Tony Wrote: You don't know if it would have worked or not.  One thing we do know trying to play smash mouth being conservative definitely didn't 

What was the defense? You cant criticize the offense if you have no idea what the defense was doing.

Reply/Quote
(12-13-2021, 01:43 AM)bfine32 Wrote: You do realize the closer you get to the end zone you have to adjust your play calling....don't you?

It's odd that the 49ers had the game winning touchdown with a pass today. They must not have gotten your memo to adjust the play calling once you get down to the end zone, because they were passing it all the way down the field to end the game. 

I think its crazy though cause they were going for the win with that thinking, I mean my god why didnt they just "adjust" their play calling so a FG would tie the game?!?!?!?
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2021, 03:14 AM)Synric Wrote: A slant vs inside leverage is an easy pick. You had cover 2 inside leverage aka a light box you run  the inside duo zone tight zone run plays. If you were forced to throw and they werent in overtime you run the whip or corner routes sell inside break outside.

I usually appreciate all your knowledge of X’s and O’s, but you’re just flat out wrong on this one. Taylor straight up admitted he called the wrong plays for that situation. Sometimes you have not overthink stuff, and just go with the hot hand.

Reply/Quote
(12-13-2021, 03:21 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I usually appreciate all your knowledge of X’s and O’s, but you’re just flat out wrong on this one. Taylor straight up admitted he called the wrong plays for that situation. Sometimes you have not overthink stuff, and just go with the hot hand.

Yes there was play calls he could have use Burrow vs that defense like a whip & corner routes they used late sell inside work outside. We all heard the annoucers specifically talk about those routes... but a light box vs cover 2 is a light box and an inside run play is a perfectly acceptable play call that did not work.

I dont blame Zac Taylor for that I blame Phillip's for the 2 muffed punts and the line for not run blocking when numbers were in their favor.

PS: Sad thing is I hated on Zac more when they have won than when they have lost this season lol.

Reply/Quote
I get that alot of people misunderstand me. I dont hate the play calls alot of the time. I dont even hate what they are trying to do on offense... I just hate the offense.

Reply/Quote
Why not more PA? The playcalling the past couple weeks did absolutely nothing to take the pressure off this shitty Oline. Never understood why they constantly put Burrow in bad situations waiting to throw till it was obvious.

You take the ball first in OT to score 6, we have Joe Freakin Burrow and above average WR/TE’s with height and we don’t throw a single pass high to the back of the endzone??? Unreal. We get burned constantly with jump balls to our shorter DB’s yet we rarely do the same.
Reply/Quote
I’m right back to where I was a year ago. Give Callahan the play calling duties, and let Taylor focus on being a HC. I’m getting tired of hearing Zac talk about his coaching mistakes in postgame interviews. Something has to give.

Reply/Quote
I didn't have a big problem with the runs in the Overtime period. In fact it led to a 3rd and 3 which should be a relative easy pick up.
What I'm more frustrated about was the constant runs on first down through the entire game. You have to mix it up more though.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2021, 03:20 AM)Synric Wrote: What was the defense? You cant criticize the offense if you have no idea what the defense was doing.

So you ignore what weapons you have, #1 draft pick QB, and what's working to go with what's not working and hasn't worked all day with your playoff life hanging in the balance ?

Because of what set the D is in ?

Okay

Zac has even said it was a bad decision. But you go ahead a plant your flag on this hill.
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2021, 07:43 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: So you ignore what weapons you have, #1 draft pick QB, and what's working to go with what's not working and hasn't worked all day with your playoff life hanging in the balance ?

Because of what set the D is in ?

Okay

Zac has even said it was a bad decision. But you go ahead a plant your flag on this hill.

Yeah, the coaching chess match is all fine and good, but sometimes you just have to line up and trust your best players to make plays. We sure as hell couldn’t stop Kittle despite everyone in the stadium knowing he was getting the ball. Tee has been unstoppable 3 weeks in a row, and Chase is a threat to score a TD on any given play. I just don’t understand not taking a shot. That wasn’t “young offensive minded” coaching. Which is what we all thought we were getting.

Reply/Quote
Some say it was the right play calls when we did nothing since he started having us putt putt, get when the 49ers got close, they didn’t slow. They kept marching, kept throwing and stuck a stake through our hearts. Two different styles, two different results.

Of course they were in a light box, as they have no problem stopping the run. Have not all game. “Oh you run against that formation,” Uh, not when you can’t run worth a damn and have been snipping them the past 15 minutes. So what happened was they ran, that light box never gave up 1st, then 3rd down happened and they went blitz ( who would’ve guessed ). Now 49ers March down, got close and they kept throwing. Screw the formations, they make plays. Guess Taylor and his defenders know something the rest of us don’t.
Like a teenage girl driving a Ferrari. 
Reply/Quote