Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Zac Taylor's Play Calling In OT Was Unforgivable
(12-13-2021, 08:04 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Yeah, the coaching chess match is all fine and good, but sometimes you just have to line up and trust your best players to make plays. We sure as hell couldn’t stop Kittle despite everyone in the stadium knowing he was getting the ball. Tee has been unstoppable 3 weeks in a row, and Chase is a threat to score a TD on any given play. I just don’t understand not taking a shot. That wasn’t “young offensive minded” coaching. Which is what we all thought we were getting.

Right 

Like has been said you can end the game right there - W that's why you take the ball.

There's not working clock stuff that matters, play it safe for the FG, whatever. At least try swinging the damn bat slugger.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2021, 02:58 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote:

If only this bozo had any idea how many Bengal fans lose sleep at night knowing he's likely to get an extension from Mike Brown.
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2021, 10:20 PM)Synric Wrote: The 49ers ran a cover 2 7 man box. You can run in those situations. Wasnt playcalling it was run blocking.

Exactly.  But when you've proven over 4 quarters that you can't run the ball why take the ball out of your QB's hands when he is hot and basically got you back in the game with his arm?  Inexcusable. 

A better head coach and this team has 4 or 5 more wins.  They are too talented to lay eggs like they have throughout the year. 

We don't need a coach that the players like.  We need one with results.  And the way things are going these same players will begin (if not already) to lose respect for him.  At that point it's too late.  I'd hate to see another year wasted.

Time to move on.  He had his chance.  Go get Bieniemy like they should have in the first place. 
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2021, 11:28 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Me either

In the words of Tony Dungy "you play to win the game" 

Herm Edwards
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2021, 09:37 AM)Daddy-O Wrote: Exactly.  But when you've proven over 4 quarters that you can't run the ball why take the ball out of your QB's hands when he is hot and basically got you back in the game with his arm?  Inexcusable. 

A better head coach and this team has 4 or 5 more wins.  They are too talented to lay eggs like they have throughout the year. 

We don't need a coach that the players like.  We need one with results.  And the way things are going these same players will begin (if not already) to lose respect for him.  At that point it's too late.  I'd hate to see another year wasted.

Time to move on.  He had his chance.  Go get Bieniemy like they should have in the first place. 

Idk about 4-5 more wins (unless we’re talking someone like Belichick), but I do think his poor coaching/play calling has cost us at least a couple games this season.

Reply/Quote
If Zac is going to play soft, then bring back Marvin. 15 yrs of playing soft was enough (see playoff results). Thanks.
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2021, 10:21 PM)bfine32 Wrote: The 2 run netted us 7 yards. The one pass lost us 4. We should have ran it a 3rd time. 

That logic failed miserably in the opening drive of the 2nd half. They went run for 5, run for 3, then run for about 1. Punted because of a quick 3 & out.

This is a bizarre way of trying to defend this horrible grapefruit of a coach we have, but regardless, the logic fails. It was hideous play calling. He’s awful.
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote
(12-13-2021, 01:55 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Not going after those rookie CB’s was a mistake. Period.

It's just embarrassing Zac didn't recognize Burrow had the hot hand in real time. The average NFL fan could recognize running on the first two downs was not good play calling. 
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2021, 09:54 AM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: That logic failed miserably in the opening drive of the 2nd half. They went run for 5, run for 3, then run for about 1. Punted because of a quick 3 & out.

This is a bizarre way of trying to defend this horrible grapefruit of a coach we have, but regardless, the logic fails. It was hideous play calling. He’s awful.

Reply/Quote
(12-13-2021, 04:50 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I’m right back to where I was a year ago. Give Callahan the play calling duties, and let Taylor focus on being a HC. I’m getting tired of hearing Zac talk about his coaching mistakes in postgame interviews. Something has to give.

I’d rather they put a bucket of lincoln logs in front of him and tell him to build Paul Brown Stadium, and not to come out until he’s finished.

Attached Files Image(s)

Reply/Quote
(12-12-2021, 10:22 PM)thompson19osu Wrote: 0-24? Wow. Just wow. You would think you could luck your way into a single win at least.

Well at least hes consistant
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2021, 09:23 AM)Bengalitis Wrote: If only this bozo had any idea how many Bengal fans lose sleep at night knowing he's likely to get an extension from Mike Brown.

Now he will cost us the next game by being aggressing in spots he doesnt need to be
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2021, 03:09 AM)Tony Wrote: I would ran a slant or chip Bosa with a TE and leak him out and get the first..  We will never know if our theory would work, but yours definitely didn't... I still say the Niners baited Zac into doing this..They qere stopping the run with a 4 man pressure all game at the line.. That's why it was stupid to go conservative,  because the chances were so low it was gonna work. They tried this approach all game and it didn't work. The only scoring that happened on when they turned Burrow loose.. Joe's gotta be getting sick of this shit. 

They did do a chip and release with Uzomah in OT and went for a huge gain. The passing game was humming at that point so ZT figured might as well go with what didn’t work all game with a couple of runs.
Reply/Quote
I cannot believe there are so many losing teams in the NFL with all these coaching experts wasting away on a message board.

Zac called a good game, we over came numerous errors that put us in a hole to take the lead in OT. The Niners had only scored 3 points the entire have and were completely shut down in the 4th.

Of all the things we blame Zac for we can now add: Taking the lead in OT when your D is playing lights out..
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(12-13-2021, 11:12 AM)bfine32 Wrote: I cannot believe there are so many losing teams in the NFL with all these coaching experts wasting away on a message board.

Zac called a good game, we over came numerous errors that put us in a hole to take the lead in OT. The Niners had only scored 3 points the entire have and were completely shut down in the 4th.

Of all the things we blame Zac for we can now add: Taking the lead in OT when your D is playing lights out..

It's why the loss is on the TEAM and not the coach.

Phillips gave a swing of up to 20-24 points with his fumbles and there aren't 50 threads with hundreds of posts about why he cost us the game.

Yes, it's fine and VALID to criticize Zac's role this game, but the game wasn't called nearly as bad as everyone makes it out to be.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2021, 11:12 AM)bfine32 Wrote: I cannot believe there are so many losing teams in the NFL with all these coaching experts wasting away on a message board.

Zac acknowledged the OT mistake of running on 1st down. He should have tried to get the instant W and not even let the defense get on the field. Making the comment, "I cannot believe there are so many losing teams in the NFL with all these coaching experts wasting away on a message board" fails to account for the perspective that you do not have to be an NFL coach or really even know much about football to recognize Burrow should have been passing in OT after completing passes to Higgins and Uzomah. Burrow should have been passing for the win. That's the whole point of the criticism, Zac has NFL coaching experience but failed to recognize it in the moment. You're right, none of us have the skills to even be in such a position; however, Zac admitted the mistake of not going for the win. Other NFL coaches wouldn't have made the same mistake in the big moment.
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2021, 11:22 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote:
It's why the loss is on the TEAM and not the coach.

Phillips gave a swing of up to 20-24 points with his fumbles and there aren't 50 threads with hundreds of posts about why he cost us the game.

Yes, it's fine and VALID to criticize Zac's role this game, but the game wasn't called nearly as bad as everyone makes it out to be.

I view the team as comprising both the coach (coaches) & the players. There is plenty of moments to place blame on players, such as Phillips or coaching, like Zac's OT failure to try for the win.
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2021, 11:22 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: It's why the loss is on the TEAM and not the coach.

0-24. Proves he doesn’t coach well in the 4th.

13-31-1. Proves he doesn’t coach well in any of the other quarters.

Phillips has been a lousy return man all year. I grant you, yesterday was a spectacular failure, but he had no business being back there in the first place. Zac finally pulls him and puts in Wilson, who got in there and fumbled immediately himself. Got so bad they had to start using Tyler Boyd. The Bungles have looked so poorly disciplined and sloppy the last 2 weeks, it’s hard to imagine a professional team making more ridiculous and undisciplined mistakes. Course, not Zac’s fault. Why would it be? This is axiom.

I know and understand your perspective. Nothing is ever the coach’s fault. Always 100% on the players until good things happen, in which case, yay coach you did it! Not gonna change your mind. Enjoy.

Reply/Quote
(12-13-2021, 11:39 AM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: I know and understand your perspective. Nothing is ever the coach’s fault. Always 100% on the players until good things happen, in which case, yay coach you did it! Not gonna change your mind. Enjoy.

I struggle to understand posters with the perspective it's completely the fault of the coach or conversely completely the fault of the players. Such views ignore the complexities of an NFL franchise as an organization. It takes the whole organization to experience success. Pieces within the organization often must change to see improvement. To think, "Oh, the players play the game and it is 100% on them when bad things happen" is too short sighted. Again, it is also short sighted when people only blame the coach. Oh well.
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2021, 11:32 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Zac acknowledged the OT mistake of running on 1st down. He should have tried to get the instant W and not even let the defense get on the field. Making the comment, "I cannot believe there are so many losing teams in the NFL with all these coaching experts wasting away on a message board" fails to account for the perspective that you do not have to be an NFL coach or really even know much about football to recognize Burrow should have been passing in OT after completing passes to Higgins and Uzomah. Burrow should have been passing for the win. That's the whole point of the criticism, Zac has NFL coaching experience but failed to recognize it in the moment. You're right, none of us have the skills to even be in such a position; however, Zac admitted the mistake of not going for the win. Other NFL coaches wouldn't have made the same mistake in the big moment.

Zac is most likely the 1st NFL coach in the history of the league to 2nd guess his play calling after a loss. 

You're right about other coaches though. There are those that would have went for 2 after we scored the final TD in regulation...I mean.."go for the win" why don't ya. 

Here's Zac "admitting his mistake":
Quote:What's your thought process on the run calls at the 26 yard line in overtime?

"There were some things we packaged based on what they were giving up. They gave us a lot of 'two-high' (coverage) over the course of that game. There were a lot of 'cover-two' looks, and we wanted to take advantage of that with the run. Some of those were just mixed calls."

To go back to the play calls inside the 25 in overtime, is there ever a thought with a hot quarterback to stick with the hot hand and say, 'Let's ride him?'

"You know ... yep. Yep. I agree with you. That's one that will keep you up at night. We have a quarterback that can win us a lot of games, and there's maybe one more pass instead of a run there. Sure, if we hit that run, I feel great about it. But we didn't. And so then you go back to hindsight, and I'm sure I'll feel a lot of that tonight."
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote