Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Zac Taylor to take a step back
(05-29-2024, 11:54 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Sometimes i wonder if people really understand what an effective running game can do for an offense, with how focused everyone is on the Bengals being a "pass first and a lot" team. Todd Guerley was an All Pro in '17 and '18 with less than 300 carries each year and 1.3k and 1.2k yds respectively. That was a team with a 'good' Jared Goff under center and they were #1 and #2 in points and #10 and #2 in yards those years. Guerley got in the end zone a lot that year as well, which is obv an important part of it. His y/a were 4.7 and 4.9, nothing mind-blowing but effective enough to keep the chains moving and keep the offense on the field. This offense could skyrocket if they can get 4.5 ypc+ and be effective running the ball in goal-to-go situations. 

For sure, many don't

It changes everything.

It keeps drives alive making more chances of scoring. It wears on an opposing defense being on field longer. It saves your defense keeping them resting longer. It totally changes your playbook in the redzone. It opens up passing opportunities on 3rd and two when the opposing D has to respect the run.

And I don't care what any stats geek says it can make play action deadly. Not to mention the fact it can and does take pressure off you QB to be superman all the time.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-29-2024, 11:54 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Sometimes i wonder if people really understand what an effective running game can do for an offense, with how focused everyone is on the Bengals being a "pass first and a lot" team. Todd Guerley was an All Pro in '17 and '18 with less than 300 carries each year and 1.3k and 1.2k yds respectively. That was a team with a 'good' Jared Goff under center and they were #1 and #2 in points and #10 and #2 in yards those years. Guerley got in the end zone a lot that year as well, which is obv an important part of it. His y/a were 4.7 and 4.9, nothing mind-blowing but effective enough to keep the chains moving and keep the offense on the field. This offense could skyrocket if they can get 4.5 ypc+ and be effective running the ball in goal-to-go situations. 

(05-29-2024, 12:28 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: For sure, many don't

It changes everything.

It keeps drives alive making more chances of scoring. It wears on an opposing defense being on field longer. It saves your defense keeping them resting longer. It totally changes your playbook in the redzone. It opens up passing opportunities on 3rd and two when the opposing D has to respect the run.

And I don't care what any stats geek says it can make play action deadly. Not to mention the fact it can and does take pressure off you QB to be superman all the time.

The OL and lack of run game has cost us 2 SB’s IMO. It is what it is.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote

Absolutely, well stated. Some seem to forget that Zac Taylor was chosen by the Bengals because he was a part of that very successful Rams coaching staff. I'm not saying that I'd like to see the Bengals run an exact copycat of the 2019 Rams offense, but it is a really good model to point to as example of a truly balanced attack.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-29-2024, 01:05 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Absolutely, well stated. Some seem to forget that Zac Taylor was chosen by the Bengals because he was a part of that very successful Rams coaching staff. I'm not saying that I'd like to see the Bengals run an exact copycat of the 2019 Rams offense, but it is a really good model to point to as example of a truly balanced attack.

They ran a nice 55/45 pass/run ratio those years. Anything between 55% and 60% pass would be good, imo. The last 2 years the Bengals have thrown the ball over 60% while the Chiefs were right at 60%. Coincidentally, in 2021 the Bengals threw it 59% of the time. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote

It would be unstoppable
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(05-28-2024, 05:56 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: I would imagine Zac wants a fresh approach to the offense. Fresh it up. But I too expect Zac to call the plays. Their efficiency numbers top 5 the years Joe has been healthy. But I’d bet Pitch will be heavily involved

Calling the play in to Burrow or actually calling the plays? Would prefer Pitcher to be calling the plays as we could have a guy to blame 
besides Zac lol
Reply/Quote
They retooled the RB room to save some $$$ but more importantly to address our constantly being at the bottom of the YAC rankings for rushing. THAT was a huge problem and we are better off with a lead RB (Moss) who is above average at breaking tackles and balance even if the tradeoff is breakaway speed. This is also why I have my upset "make the team as an UFDA" special as Noah Cain; like Moss his strengths as a rusher match our OL strengths. And Pitcher knows all this (and may indeed have been insisting on this change).

If part of the new offense is going under center more (not all the time just some more) and letting the linemen fire off the snap and attack with more of a power rushing attack I am all for it. It will also make it easier for Burrow when we do pass as over time it stops defenses from pinning their ears back and teeing off.
Reply/Quote
(05-29-2024, 02:42 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Calling the play in to Burrow or actually calling the plays? Would prefer Pitcher to be calling the plays as we could have a guy to blame 
besides Zac lol

Don’t know yet but should find out soon what Pitchers role is and extent. But I’d expect him not to call plays but heavily involved. But…. I bet that’s not been decided.

Reply/Quote
(05-29-2024, 03:59 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Don’t know yet but should find out soon what Pitchers role is and extent. But I’d expect him not to call plays but heavily involved. But…. I bet that’s not been decided.

Cool, guess we will see...
Reply/Quote
(05-28-2024, 02:57 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Sure hope your take is wrong...

I hope I am wrong as well.
Reply/Quote
(05-27-2024, 03:01 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Good on him. No ego with Zac Taylor.

No need for him to have too much on his plate, he is great at communication and coaching a disciplined team.

Let the new OC in Pitcher take the flack if it isn't up to par play calling and scheme wise.

This is a great move.

Zac was pretty clear that his "backing off" is just so that he can spend more time with defense and special teams during OTA's and possibly mini camp.  I would bet a billion dollars nothing changes as to Zac calling plays during the regular season.

Here is a video with Zac's take.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrABtPSyKCw

Reply/Quote
(05-29-2024, 08:42 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Zac was pretty clear that his "backing off" is just so that he can spend more time with defense and special teams during OTA's and possibly mini camp.  I would bet a billion dollars nothing changes as to Zac calling plays during the regular season.

Here is a video with Zac's take.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrABtPSyKCw

He was doing way too much. He was personally scripting practices. Several hours of the day. I mean going on his ipad and doing it and they’ve hired someone to do that. He now looks it over and makes changes. He wants to the offense to be fresher. Unless there’s a legitimate reason for it they are determined not to start slow. I’d bet more work for the starters in preseason.

Reply/Quote
(05-30-2024, 02:59 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: He was doing way too much. He was personally scripting practices. Several hours of the day. I mean going on his ipad and doing it and they’ve hired someone to do that. He now looks it over and makes changes. He wants to the offense to be fresher. Unless there’s a legitimate reason for it they are determined not to start slow. I’d bet more work for the starters in preseason.

He’s making millions

I’m not mad he did all that

I do however feel good at letting Pitcher run some plays

Iv felt for that last 2 years that Zac’s plays are sometimes too reliant on Burrows accuracy

Like what’s wrong with drawing up play action plays that only have 2 reads? Everything doesn’t have to be masters level just because Burrow has a masters degree in football. You can call simply shit
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2024, 06:52 PM)Housh Wrote: He’s making millions

Iv felt for that last 2 years that Zac’s plays are sometimes too reliant on Burrows accuracy

Like what’s wrong with drawing up play action plays that only have 2 reads? Everything doesn’t have to be masters level just because Burrow has a masters degree in football. You can call simply shit

You know Zac will be calling all the plays right?  Pitcher is running OTA's and installing new wrinkles.

Reply/Quote
(05-23-2024, 06:16 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I just hope Zac has given Dan the authority to fire his Oline coach, because Zac can't seem to figure out how to do it.

Maybe he has, and he just doesn’t leave. “You’re fired.” “I don’t agree. See ya tomorrow.”
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(05-30-2024, 06:52 PM)Housh Wrote: He’s making millions

Don’t misinterpret. He’s freeing up time to spend more time as the head coach not OC. And don’t misinterpret that there’s only 2 reads. They give Joe 2 plays based on the 2 looks they expect. He can change the play. He’s got several reads as the play ensues. As far as relying on Joe’s accuracy as others have mentioned a much improved run game changes the dynamics of this offense.

Reply/Quote
(05-30-2024, 09:06 PM)casear2727 Wrote: You know Zac will be calling all the plays right?  Pitcher is running OTA's and installing new wrinkles.

If he didn't give up play calling after starting 0 and whatever it was in 2019, he's certainly not gonna give it up now.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2024, 11:15 PM)jason Wrote: If he didn't give up play calling after starting 0 and whatever it was in 2019, he's certainly not gonna give it up now.

Yep, and I would bet that part of hiring Pitch was that he could bring some of his own ideas and do a bit more than Callahan, but play calling is surely staying with Zac.

Reply/Quote
(05-31-2024, 06:00 AM)casear2727 Wrote: Yep, and I would bet that part of hiring Pitch was that he could bring some of his own ideas and do a bit more than Callahan, but play calling is surely staying with Zac.

Or… Pitcher had other opportunities and used that as a bargaining chip. Or… like Zac said he wants to be more head coach centric and releasing his offensive load. You can’t freshen up the offense unless you loosen your hold on it. I don’t know how this can’t be viewed as positive.

Reply/Quote
(05-31-2024, 09:55 AM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Or… Pitcher had other opportunities and used that as a bargaining chip. Or… like Zac said he wants to be more head coach centric and releasing his offensive load. You can’t freshen up the offense unless you loosen your hold on it. I don’t know how this can’t be viewed as positive.

Yes, it is a positive for sure. Freshening up the Offense was needed. If we can have a decent running game this season this Offense could
be great. Love the TE's added, Moss and Burton.
Reply/Quote