Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Zac just isn't learning
(01-11-2023, 06:10 PM)Joelist Wrote: It's fun to have a QB like Burrow. He doesn't have a rocket arm or lightning speed but can make the throws and is an effective scrambler. What makes him elite is heart and intelligence - he may be the smartest (game smarts) QB out there. Teams have to constantly switch it up because they learned he reads defenses fast and remembers what he sees, so you may fool him once but unlikely to fool him twice with the same trick. This plus his pocket awareness and slipperiness back there make him special.

It's why I wouldn't trade him for a better arm. He's tactical and sharp and I believe skills like that have true longevity. 
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2023, 05:47 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: The Burrow/Chase rules. 

If you play us like you play everyone else, you are cooked. 

I think it means that teams are struggling now after the early season blueprint that teams were using a lot against several teams. It really came from colleges trying to stop the explosive plays. Rushing 3 dropping 8 with deep safeties messed with Mahomes as well. But it’s apparent teams are searching
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(01-11-2023, 06:10 PM)Joelist Wrote: It's fun to have a QB like Burrow. He doesn't have a rocket arm or lightning speed but can make the throws and is an effective scrambler. What makes him elite is heart and intelligence - he may be the smartest (game smarts) QB out there. Teams have to constantly switch it up because they learned he reads defenses fast and remembers what he sees, so you may fool him once but unlikely to fool him twice with the same trick. This plus his pocket awareness and slipperiness back there make him special.

Closest thing to Peyton Manning... but more athletic, which makes him stand in a class of his own.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2023, 07:16 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Closest thing to Peyton Manning... but more athletic, which makes him stand in a class of his own.

I got to see Peyton play live.
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2023, 07:16 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Closest thing to Peyton Manning... but more athletic, which makes him stand in a class of his own.

I'd pay money to see Joe and Peyton square off in a best of 5 chess matches.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
We just need a run game. I think he could do more to disguise some plays. It is quite easy to figure out run plays. I think defenses (esp. division rivals) know when and where it is coming. Just an observation form a fan. Never played but I can almost always tell where and when they are going to run.

Who Dey.
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2023, 08:55 PM)chopperbobby Wrote: We just need a run game.  I think he could do more to disguise some plays.  It is quite easy to figure out run plays.  I think defenses (esp. division rivals) know when and where it is coming.  Just an observation form a fan.  Never played but I can almost always tell where and when they are going to run.

Who Dey.

You have to establish a run game which we simply do not even try to do.   Lots of RBs need carries to get going and play better later in the game when the defense is worn out but this is a pass first, second and probably third team.  I wish they would be more balanced but they throw on 3rd and 1 and 4th and 1 so often and it doesn't work as often as I would like. 
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2023, 11:09 AM)M.W. Wrote: You have to establish a run game which we simply do not even try to do.   Lots of RBs need carries to get going and play better later in the game when the defense is worn out but this is a pass first, second and probably third team.  I wish they would be more balanced but they throw on 3rd and 1 and 4th and 1 so often and it doesn't work as often as I would like. 

Running for the sake of "establishing" something has largely been debunked. Your running game either works, or it doesn't. Cincinnati's run game just flat out sucks, but their passing game is truly elite. For instance, Cincinnati's best rushing quarter by YPC is the 2nd quarter. Their worst quarter is the 4th quarter. The issue is when we talk about running just for the sake of establishing something, that isn't really a thing, so we end up taking dropbacks away from Burrow to give to Mixon or Perine who don't do much with their attempts. Then, Burrow is given a 2nd and 9 to work with which is a worse situation than 1st and 10. Hell, a 2nd and 6 is worse than a 1st and 10, statistically speaking. 

Cincinnati definitely does try to mix the run game in, it just doesn't work and Zac has shown that he is willing to move away from what isn't working. 
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2023, 11:44 AM)KillerGoose Wrote: Running for the sake of "establishing" something has largely been debunked. Your running game either works, or it doesn't. Cincinnati's run game just flat out sucks, but their passing game is truly elite. For instance, Cincinnati's best rushing quarter by YPC is the 2nd quarter. Their worst quarter is the 4th quarter. The issue is when we talk about running just for the sake of establishing something, that isn't really a thing, so we end up taking dropbacks away from Burrow to give to Mixon or Perine who don't do much with their attempts. Then, Burrow is given a 2nd and 9 to work with which is a worse situation than 1st and 10. Hell, a 2nd and 6 is worse than a 1st and 10, statistically speaking. 

Cincinnati definitely does try to mix the run game in, it just doesn't work and Zac has shown that he is willing to move away from what isn't working. 

The run game works every now and then which I prefer over a sack or incomplete pass or blown up screen which happened so many times last week. It would be nice to run enough to have an effective play action fake or be able to run the clock out but it isn't in the cards. Oh well, they are winning!
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2023, 12:35 PM)M.W. Wrote: The run game works every now and then which I prefer over a sack or incomplete pass or blown up screen which happened so many times last week. It would be nice to run enough to have an effective play action fake or be able to run the clock out but it isn't in the cards. Oh well, they are winning!

The screens I am not super concerned with. It looked like those were checks at the line and Cincinnati has been utilizing the short game as an extension of the run game for most of the season. I don't think Cincinnati runs those screens with that kind of volume again, and I see them as the same as a run at the end of the day. 
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2022, 10:57 PM)M.W. Wrote: Not even attempting to establish a running game puts a huge stress on the OL and then Burrow, even if the run game struggles you still should be at no more than 65% passes. If you do not you get blown out by the Browns. Make the defense respect a run game or get Burrow killed and lose 9 games.

Easier said than done.With our OL the way it is,we’re probably not going to have a great running game going forward.

Not to worry though.The defense will bail us out,hopefully,in this post season.They’re the ones that got us to the SB last year,and they’re doing it again this year.

We’ll go as far as the defense takes us.
Reply/Quote