Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Zampese is Killing Us
(10-01-2016, 05:37 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: His play calling Thursday was disgustingly horrible.

The simple fact that he doesn't run Hill downhill whenever he carries it, especially since our line isn't good enough to let Hill run east/west and pick his holes, kills me.

He has no creativity and just isn't a good situational play caller.

We have too much talent to waste it to horrible play calling, so does he finish out the year calling the offense and potentially waste a great opportunity, do we bring someone else in (history says no), or do we give Andy the power of calling plays?

I'd really love a Q and A session with Marvin or Mike so I can call in to ask them if they're going to let the season go to waste.

Maybe getting Eifert back will help some, but it obviously doesn't help with the problems that Zampese is giving Hill.

What happens with our play calling for the rest of the season?

I felt this way last week. But I truly believe with eifert back it will open this offense up. We can push the rock no problem but stall right around the 20 or less. To me that is a good thing missing such a huge red zone contributor.
"The Power of life and death is in the tongue"
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2016, 06:14 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: You don't think that I could have called better plays on all of those drives that stalled inside their territory and resulted in field goals?

Do you seriously believe that you could have?
Reply/Quote
I'm not sure who the blame goes to. Zampese has been here since Dalton and Green (and for that matter just about everyone on offense) arrived in Cincy. He's seen what works and what doesn't with this crew. It's not like he needed to reinvent the wheel this season.

My hope is that it's a matter of getting past the attrition on the offensive side of the ball. The familiarity this team usually enjoys due to it's high rate of player retention was somewhat lost this season. It's uncharacteristic of the Dalton era. They're having to go through what most teams go through every year, i.e. figuring out what works for them and developing a rythmn in time to cash in on it.

Marvin Jones is doing better than I thought he would in Detroit and Sanu is not looking too shabby, either. Maybe their departures hurt more than we thought they would when compounded with Eifert's absence. I like LaFell and Boyd and think the can help, but they just don't seem like they're fully integrated yet. Boyd has practically disappeared since Pittsburgh. Dalton is leaning on AJ a lot. Uzomah has been something of a regular target. Gio seems under utilized.

They also went to a totally different type of player at RT with the super-athletic Ogbuehi replacing Dre. Smith's play seemed to drop off a little last year and his durability was a bit of an issue, but it's a switch nonetheless.

My hope is that this team finds a comfort zone within the next few weeks. I think it's very possible. In my opinion, the talent is there but the familiarity across the roster on offense is not. Just a matter of time and chemistry.
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2016, 08:52 PM)Harmening Wrote: Do you seriously believe that you could have?

Did you not watch the game and how things were playing out, what was working, what wasn't working?  If so, you don't think anyone with a tiny bit of football knowledge could have called a better game?

He had some good play calls, but his play calling in the red zone was stupid for the most part.
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2016, 08:52 PM)Harmening Wrote: Do you seriously believe that you could have?

People think that calling a game in real time is as easy as calling it in hindsight. That their plays would work most of the time and they'd never have to adjust to what a defense is doing against them. 

All while having to decide in 40 seconds.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2016, 06:26 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: In zampese's defense, Hue called a very similar game against Baltimore in 2014. Sometimes execution is just poor. Granted I hated the playcalling as well but I'm a firm believer getting Eifert back will help our redzone woes

Eifert will be covered like a blanket since that's all the Bengal's offense has.
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2016, 02:13 AM)Derrick Wrote: Eifert will be covered like a blanket since that's all the Bengal's offense has.

Yeah AJ is a total scrub. You are absolutely right   Sarcasm
Reply/Quote
I don't know if Zampese will get any better or not, but we all know that regardless of what happens, the Bengals will let him play out his contract. Bratkowski was the exception but he was only fired after years of ineptitude because he was affecting season ticket sales.
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2016, 08:07 PM)BigPapaKain Wrote: Stopped reading as soon as you said Barry Sanders. Dude was a once in a lifetime freak of nature at his position.

Exactly. Thats why i wish people would stop acting like he's (Hill) some kind of world beater. He's just an average back with no excuses.
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2016, 02:06 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: People think that calling a game in real time is as easy as calling it in hindsight. That their plays would work most of the time and they'd never have to adjust to what a defense is doing against them. 

All while having to decide in 40 seconds.

Exactly this. Wink
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2016, 04:35 AM)BonnieBengal Wrote: I don't know if Zampese will get any better or not, but we all know that regardless of what happens, the Bengals will let him play out his contract.  Bratkowski was the exception but he was only fired after years of ineptitude because he was affecting season ticket sales.

Brat was fired because Mike Brown thought Carson might stay if he did, which Carson even called Brat and apologized to him and told him that he wasn't the reason he was leaving. 

I agree, though, that he'll let Zampese stay through his contract because he won't pay a guy for nothing and he's also loyal to a fault. 
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2016, 07:19 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I'd say still do it. While Hewitt is a really good fullback, he does not have the sheer mass and weight of Peko....

I like the jumbo package that has Winston at TE and Fisher at FB. That was unstoppable from two yds out last season.
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2016, 06:05 PM)The Real Deal Wrote: Maybe they should let daltons package calls some plays. Probably all be long skinny posts though...

I agree with this. Andy has been around awhile, now. We have heard that he is strong in getting his offense in the right places to attack the defense. Why not allow him to call many of the plays as I imagine Brady and Peyton does/did? Maybe he already does, I don't know. But it sure seems like he would know what is working and what is not.
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2016, 09:40 AM)James Brooks Wrote: I agree with this. Andy has been around awhile, now. We have heard that he is strong in getting his offense in the right places to attack the defense. Why not allow him to call many of the plays as I imagine Brady and Peyton does/did? Maybe he already does, I don't know. But it sure seems like he would know what is working and what is not.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
Here is the deal with almost every fan of every team (not just the Bengals). they all think they are better at play calling than the OC because the plays they imagine in their heads never fail.

OC's can never win with fans. If they do what most people would do in any situation then they are criticized for being too predictable. And if they do something else then they are criticized for not doing what most people would do.
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2016, 10:05 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Here is the deal with almost every fan of every team (not just the Bengals).  they all think they are better at play calling than the OC because the plays they imagine in their heads never fail.

OC's can never win with fans.  If they do what most people would do in any situation then they are criticized for being too predictable.  And if they do something else then they are criticized for not doing what most people would do.

I get upset when we have an OC who is one of the worst play callers in the league. I'm giving him a little bit of a break right now. Once Eifert comes back and he gets a few games under his belt, and we still have horrible play calling I'll be mad at him. It is silly to think a fan off of the street with most likely no experience coaching could call a better game. The chances are so low because if they were actually that good then why aren't they coaching? They make a hell of a lot of money.
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2016, 10:11 AM)Brownshoe Wrote:  It is silly to think a fan off of the street with most likely no experience coaching could call a better game. The chances are so low because if they were actually that good then why aren't they coaching? They make a hell of a lot of money.

Even if the fan had tons of football knowledge he would not have access to the hundreds of hours of analyzing the tendencies of the opposing defense schemes and the weak spots in their personnel.  
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2016, 10:16 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Even if the fan had tons of football knowledge he would not have access to the hundreds of hours of analyzing the tendencies of the opposing defense schemes and the weak spots in their personnel.  

If you have NFL game pass and a lot of time you do.
Reply/Quote
Your moms could call a better game!!!

Reply/Quote
(10-02-2016, 10:05 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Here is the deal with almost every fan of every team (not just the Bengals).  they all think they are better at play calling than the OC because the plays they imagine in their heads never fail.

OC's can never win with fans.  If they do what most people would do in any situation then they are criticized for being too predictable.  And if they do something else then they are criticized for not doing what most people would do.
I don't like making excuses for coaching but you are correct Fred.

If the play breaks down or parts of our o-line are so horrible as most claim.

How can that be the fault of the OC's play calling?

The players either got beat or failed to execute...  or even if you'd like, AD didn't adjust to coverage correctly.

Those are excuses for coaching...  and valid ones at that.

What makes people think that their hindsight playcalling would have even worked in the first place?

Those variables still come into play in their scenarios as well.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote