Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Zampese is Killing Us
(10-02-2016, 09:40 AM)James Brooks Wrote: I agree with this. Andy has been around awhile, now. We have heard that he is strong in getting his offense in the right places to attack the defense. Why not allow him to call many of the plays as I imagine Brady and Peyton does/did? Maybe he already does, I don't know. But it sure seems like he would know what is working and what is not.

He has complete authority to check to any play in the playbook at any time. 

The only thing that hamstrings him would be the personnel package in the game at the time.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2016, 07:25 PM)Fresno B Wrote: Every offensive coordinator since Marvin has been here has been deemed no good by these boards.

Yup  Hilarious

Gruden was actually really good even though he'd occasionally forget the run game existed. 

Hue was solid as he always is. 

And even Brat was good early  Sick
[Image: 85d8232ebbf088d606250ddec1641e7b.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2016, 10:17 AM)Brownshoe Wrote: If you have NFL game pass and a lot of time you do.

If you had the level of skill needed to analyze film you still would not have the time needed to do it as a full time job.

And if you had the skill to analyze film on the level of NFL coaches you would be getting paid.
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2016, 09:02 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: Brat was fired because Mike Brown thought Carson might stay if he did, which Carson even called Brat and apologized to him and told him that he wasn't the reason he was leaving. 

I agree, though, that he'll let Zampese stay through his contract because he won't pay a guy for nothing and he's also loyal to a fault. 

I specifically remember that after Brat was fired, they sent letters out to season ticket holders announcing it and hoping that they would renew.  People at that time were fed up and were not renewing because of Bratkowski.  
Reply/Quote
Zampese needs to be able to watch film on a team and come up with a real game plan that at least tries to exploit their weaknesses. So far it doesnt seem like he's doing that, but under the circumstances I'm not going to judge his body of work on 4 games. He has a lot to prove.
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2016, 11:29 AM)fredtoast Wrote: If you had the level of skill needed to analyze film you still would not have the time needed to do it as a full time job.

And if you had the skill to analyze film on the level of NFL coaches you would be getting paid.

How do you know someone didn't have the time? What if they had a bunch of time because they work at home or part time or no work at all or no life or they can watch it while they work.

You could easily have the skills to analyze film on the level of NFL coaches. It would just be hard to come up with a game plan that fits the style of your team vs the weakness of the other. It would be almost impossible to do especially without knowing the playbook.
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2016, 04:37 AM)Fresno B Wrote: Exactly. Thats why i wish people would stop acting like he's (Hill) some kind of world beater. He's just an average back with no excuses.

A running back is only as good as his offensive line with the one notable exception in Honolulu Blue.

The line can't open holes and the ones they can open don't last. The play calling keeps him running outside instead of up the gut and does the opposite with Bernard.

You're drunk if you don't see it.
Our father, who art in Hell
Unhallowed, be thy name
Cursed be thy sons and daughters
Of our nemesis who are to blame
Thy kingdom come, Nema
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2016, 01:35 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: Did you not watch the game and how things were playing out, what was working, what wasn't working?  If so, you don't think anyone with a tiny bit of football knowledge could have called a better game?

He had some good play calls, but his play calling in the red zone was stupid for the most part.

(10-02-2016, 04:00 PM)BigPapaKain Wrote: A running back is only as good as his offensive line with the one notable exception in Honolulu Blue.

The line can't open holes and the ones they can open don't last. The play calling keeps him running outside instead of up the gut and does the opposite with Bernard.

You're drunk if you don't see it.

I'm just drunk.   Cool
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2016, 05:37 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: His play calling Thursday was disgustingly horrible.

The simple fact that he doesn't run Hill downhill whenever he carries it, especially since our line isn't good enough to let Hill run east/west and pick his holes, kills me.

He has no creativity and just isn't a good situational play caller.

We have too much talent to waste it to horrible play calling, so does he finish out the year calling the offense and potentially waste a great opportunity, do we bring someone else in (history says no), or do we give Andy the power of calling plays?

I'd really love a Q and A session with Marvin or Mike so I can call in to ask them if they're going to let the season go to waste.

Maybe getting Eifert back will help some, but it obviously doesn't help with the problems that Zampese is giving Hill.

What happens with our play calling for the rest of the season?

He's been our QB coach since 2003. How many times has he been passed over here for the OC job, from guys brought in outside the organization? From an organization that historically promotes from within? I'm not real thrilled with the guy either. It seems his QBs always lacked the basics and still do. Palmer and Dalton very rarely if ever pump fake or look off defenders.

I feel like our run game is failing due to the blocking schemes we employ. We rarely pick up backside defenders and our lead blockers are missing their assignments.
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2016, 10:05 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Here is the deal with almost every fan of every team (not just the Bengals).  they all think they are better at play calling than the OC because the plays they imagine in their heads never fail.

OC's can never win with fans.  If they do what most people would do in any situation then they are criticized for being too predictable.  And if they do something else then they are criticized for not doing what most people would do.

(10-02-2016, 10:40 AM)BengalsRocker Wrote: I don't like making excuses for coaching but you are correct Fred.

If the play breaks down or parts of our o-line are so horrible as most claim.

How can that be the fault of the OC's play calling?

The players either got beat or failed to execute...  or even if you'd like, AD didn't adjust to coverage correctly.

Those are excuses for coaching...  and valid ones at that.

What makes people think that their hindsight playcalling would have even worked in the first place?

Those variables still come into play in their scenarios as well.

(10-02-2016, 11:29 AM)fredtoast Wrote: If you had the level of skill needed to analyze film you still would not have the time needed to do it as a full time job.

Because there are ways to mask the line's poor play when you have a back like Hill who plays the best in a style that could mask the line's poor play. 

It doesn't take much time to look at a play live and then on replay to tell what is working and why, as well as what is not working and why. 
Reply/Quote
One only has to look at Zampese's playing and coaching experience to see he's out of his depth. Compare that to Hue Jackson's experience and it's not even close. I guess you'd think a guy calling plays for an offense at the highest possible level would have at least some experience doing it anywhere else, anywhere. It's almost laughable we had him as a QB coach since 2003 and he's never even played the position. The issue with this team is Mike Brown and his philosophy on coaches.

Player talent will only get you so far but when you get to the postseason you have to play teams with good players and coaches. We have been out coached every playoff game in Marvin's tenure. Until Mike Brown and company stop promoting guys from within that have not proven shit and starts hiring guys from the outside that have proven track records these same issues will keep plaguing us.
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2016, 03:28 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: You could easily have the skills to analyze film on the level of NFL coaches. 

No you could not.

NFL coaches know more about the nuances of the game than you do.  Any fan who thinks he knows as much about the game of football as an NFL coach is just fooling himself.
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2016, 04:45 PM)Stonyhands Wrote:   It's almost laughable we had him as a QB coach since 2003 and he's never even played the position.  

No it isn't.  There are plenty of good position coaches that never played the position they coach.

Mike McCarthy and Mike Martz never played QB.

It is laughable that you did not know that.
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2016, 04:45 PM)Stonyhands Wrote:   Until Mike Brown and company stop promoting guys from within that have not proven shit and starts hiring guys from the outside that have proven track records these same issues will keep plaguing us.

You mean like having the #2 scoring defense in the league last year?
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2016, 04:30 PM)Stonyhands Wrote: He's been our QB coach since 2003.  How many times has he been passed over here for the OC job, from guys brought in outside the organization?  From an organization that historically promotes from within?  I'm not real thrilled with the guy either.  It seems his QBs always lacked the basics and still do.  Palmer and Dalton very rarely if ever pump fake or look off defenders.  

I feel like our run game is failing due to the blocking schemes we employ.  We rarely pick up backside defenders and our lead blockers are missing their assignments.

He pump faked in the last game but the line had broken down before he could throw it.  LMAO

I do see what you mean.  It's not a normal move.  He did it.... and of course...  it flamed. Whatever
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2016, 04:45 PM)Stonyhands Wrote: One only has to look at Zampese's playing and coaching experience to see he's out of his depth.  Compare that to Hue Jackson's experience and it's not even close.  I guess you'd think a guy calling plays for an offense at the highest possible level would have at least some experience doing it anywhere else, anywhere.  It's almost laughable we had him as a QB coach since 2003 and he's never even played the position.  The issue with this team is Mike Brown and his philosophy on coaches.  

Player talent will only get you so far but when you get to the postseason you have to play teams with good players and coaches.  We have been out coached every playoff game in Marvin's tenure.  Until Mike Brown and company stop promoting guys from within that have not proven shit and starts hiring guys from the outside that have proven track records these same issues will keep plaguing us.

I AGREE WITH THIS. ThumbsUp I probably won't live long enough to see it happen though.
Reply/Quote
LOL at people who think that because they played about a half dozen games of Madden that they could call plays as an NFL OC. Most who would even begin to entertain that fantasy probably couldn't tell you the difference between "12 personnel" and "21 personnel".
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2016, 06:11 PM)fredtoast Wrote: No you could not.

NFL coaches know more about the nuances of the game than you do.  Any fan who thinks he knows as much about the game of football as an NFL coach is just fooling himself.

You're just being niave now
Reply/Quote
I'm this man's biggest hater in game threads. If you don't believe me check my post history.

With that said if we had better o line blocking and we say averaged around 5.2 ypc I think everyone would have different opinions about Zamp's playcalling. His playcalling is how you win in the playoffs, but we don't have the damn line to be successful at it so he has to adapt soon.

Also if he calls one more play action rollout play I'm gonna flip. Not one has worked all season

Also if AJ GReen doesn't start getting fade routes in the endzone I'm gonna send a letter
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2016, 09:29 PM)JumboTron Wrote: LOL at people who think that because they played about a half dozen games of Madden that they could call plays as an NFL OC.  Most who would even begin to entertain that fantasy probably couldn't tell you the difference between "12 personnel" and "21 personnel".

That's just lingo.  Not that I believe the avg fan could call a game.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote