Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 1.63 Average
idea to make sure we win for years
After all is said and done only for us to be knocked out of the playoffs by Burrow. I get your point, we are basically seeing it in the league now with the RB position. At the end of the day it’s still a business and I can’t think of a worse business decision than trading away a franchise QB like Burrow.
Reply/Quote
(06-23-2023, 01:16 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: People underestimate these guys when their backs are against the wall. It’s no surprise Carman is in the best shape he’s been in by far. It’s no surprise Jonah is working hard and he’s gained strength. Collins looks to be grinding as well. Even if one of these guys doesn’t start they know after last season injuries and opportunities come. Collins is fighting for his NFL life I’m not counting him out from starting at some point.

(06-23-2023, 01:27 PM)Synric Wrote: Its post-June 1st if La'el Collins is cut now he will have a dead cap of 1.66m with a savings of 7.7mil in cap space. If they cut him now they will have paid him 8.8mil total for playing in 2022.

It's actually a really solid cut if they decide to go that way. Of course he will only make 7m total in 2023 (less since 2.4mil is is a total for per game roster bonuses in 2023). So its 7ish mil for a high quality backup at Tackle and Guard late into the season.

(06-23-2023, 01:48 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: The formula to win every year is draft well. With high dollar contracts on a few players there’s no other way.

Agree…..Agree….and Agree!!!!!!
Reply/Quote
(06-23-2023, 01:06 PM)Graphicguy Wrote: And THIS ladies and gentlemen is why people should have to pass a reading and writing comprehension test before being allowed to post in these threads.

$4M is nothing?  For a guy who's had a hard time staying on the field for us?  Mike Brown would like to have a word with you about contracts that need to be extended and how that $4M would help do that....for players much more important to the team than Collins.

Have to agree with Casear here Graphicguy. LC is a valuable depth piece, would rather be paying him 4 mil than release him and 
have less depth. Dude is a great run blocker when healthy and can play multiple spots on the OL. If we want to get rid of money 
re-structure Mixon's contract or release him or trade Jonah. Keep LC around, he is looking really good too considering the injuries 
he is coming back from. Seems like a good locker room dude as well.

Keep our money with Burrow and in the trenches is my vote, even for depth.
Reply/Quote
(06-23-2023, 01:27 PM)Synric Wrote: Its post-June 1st if La'el Collins is cut now he will have a dead cap of 1.66m with a savings of 7.7mil in cap space. If they cut him now they will have paid him 8.8mil total for playing in 2022.

It's actually a really solid cut if they decide to go that way. Of course he will only make 7m total in 2023 (less since 2.4mil is is a total for per game roster bonuses in 2023). So its 7ish mil for a high quality backup at Tackle and Guard late into the season.

I agree the amount goes up post June 1, however if they cut him today, while still not cleared, a medical settlement would be required, which is likely to be as high as $2M. So change the original $4M to $5M... still not a huge savings if LC can get healthy. IMHO

Reply/Quote
(06-23-2023, 01:06 PM)Graphicguy Wrote: And THIS ladies and gentlemen is why people should have to pass a reading and writing comprehension test before being allowed to post in these threads.

$4M is nothing?  For a guy who's had a hard time staying on the field for us?  Mike Brown would like to have a word with you about contracts that need to be extended and how that $4M would help do that....for players much more important to the team than Collins.

I'd like to have a word with Mike Brown regarding his 1st 30 years as owner...

The fact that you think LC's 4M is in any way prohibiting any extension reveals your lack of knowledge. To be fair, this is not a surprise to any of us here. 

Reply/Quote
(06-14-2023, 09:03 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I don't like this idea. 

[Image: 47361982-05028300-d6dc-11e8-8b37-b4321bed083c.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-25-2023, 09:09 PM)casear2727 Wrote: I'd like to have a word with Mike Brown regarding his 1st 30 years as owner...

The fact that you think LC's 4M is in any way prohibiting any extension reveals your lack of knowledge. To be fair, this is not a surprise to any of us here. 

It’s less than 2% of the 2023 salary cap, isn’t it?
Reply/Quote
(06-26-2023, 01:43 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: It’s less than 2% of the 2023 salary cap, isn’t it?

Yep, about what you'd expect to pay for an aging, often injured starter or starter quality backup.  A bargain if he's healthy and pans out, not a huge expense to have around otherwise.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(06-19-2023, 12:12 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Everyone in the world knew they were releasing him.  Why give up assets?   Same thing happened to Dalvin Cook.

The main reason is that you can give up a 6th or 7th rounder to guarantee that you get him.  If he hits free agency then you run the risk of some other team signing him.
Reply/Quote
(06-26-2023, 03:56 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: The main reason is that you can give up a 6th or 7th rounder to guarantee that you get him.  If he hits free agency then you run the risk of some other team signing him.

Vested veterans don't go on waivers. They become instant free agents, able to sign with whomever they want. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(06-26-2023, 05:52 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Vested veterans don't go on waivers. They become instant free agents, able to sign with whomever they want. 

Yes, but if you traded for him he couldn't sign for whomever he wants. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(06-26-2023, 07:30 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Yes, but if you traded for him he couldn't sign for whomever he wants. 

True. It basically comes down to, is he worth giving up assets for? 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(06-25-2023, 09:06 PM)casear2727 Wrote: I agree the amount goes up post June 1, however if they cut him today, while still not cleared, a medical settlement would be required, which is likely to be as high as $2M. So change the original $4M to $5M... still not a huge savings if LC can get healthy. IMHO

Collins has no leverage to force an injury settlement. His only guaranteed money for 2023 is tied to ACTIVE per game bonuses. Bengals can just put him on IR and he wont receive the bonuses wait until he passes a physical then cut him. This is the main reason we have seen him out there doing pass sets during the off season lol. He knows he has to get off PUP or IR quickly to earn any money.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(06-27-2023, 07:57 AM)Synric Wrote: Collins has no leverage to force an injury settlement. His only guaranteed money for 2023 is tied to ACTIVE per game bonuses. Bengals can just put him on IR and he wont receive the bonuses wait until he passes a physical then cut him. This is the main reason we have seen him out there doing pass sets during the off season lol. He knows he has to get off  PUP or IR quickly to earn any money.

Sure, but the comments were to cut him now, and any player unable to pass a physical has a case for an injury settlement.  I fully expect him to start the season on the PUP and we re-evaluate the line success and depth after 6 games.

Reply/Quote
(06-27-2023, 07:57 AM)Synric Wrote: Collins has no leverage to force an injury settlement. His only guaranteed money for 2023 is tied to ACTIVE per game bonuses. Bengals can just put him on IR and he wont receive the bonuses wait until he passes a physical then cut him. This is the main reason we have seen him out there doing pass sets during the off season lol. He knows he has to get off  PUP or IR quickly to earn any money.

He's got a $4.5 mil base salary this year and has already gotten a $2.1 mil roster bonus.  If he was getting cut, it would have been before the roster bonus was paid.  Plus the team can't do much with his cap savings if he comes off the PUP mid season.  I don't see him being cut.  
Reply/Quote
(06-28-2023, 01:27 AM)Whatever Wrote: He's got a $4.5 mil base salary this year and has already gotten a $2.1 mil roster bonus.  If he was getting cut, it would have been before the roster bonus was paid.  Plus the team can't do much with his cap savings if he comes off the PUP mid season.  I don't see him being cut.  

If he's on IR he won't get his base salary unless its guaranteed. La'el Collins total guaranteed was his 5mil signing bonus he got in 2022. He doesn't get a roster bonus in 2023 its a Per Game Active Bonus of 141,176 each game which adds up to 2.4mil at the end of the year. (He also has playing time and pro-bowl escalators of 1mil each.) La'el Collins contract is set up so as long as he's on IR he isn't getting paid in 2023.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(06-28-2023, 07:32 AM)Synric Wrote: If he's on IR he won't get his base salary unless its guaranteed. La'el Collins total guaranteed was his 5mil signing bonus he got in 2022. He doesn't get a roster bonus in 2023 its a Per Game Active Bonus of 141,176 each game which adds up to 2.4mil at the end of the year. (He also has playing time and pro-bowl escalators of 1mil each.) La'el Collins contract is set up so as long as he's on IR he isn't getting paid in 2023.

Good to know, thanks Synric. Rock On
Reply/Quote