Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
jeremy hill backup
so tried to copy and paste the article but it isn't cooperating. apparently Jeremy hill is gonna be a backup/gl man for the bengals. Giovanni Bernard will be co-starter with rex burkhead if he stays.but either way gio is starter going forward. am I the only one who wanted this but didn't think they would make gio starter?
Reply/Quote
This is all I could find:

http://www.upi.com/Sports_News/NFL/2017/01/05/Jeremy-Hill-to-backup-Giovani-Bernard-for-2017-Cincinnati-Bengals/4361483659366/

Sounds like pure speculation. And not something I see Marvin doing.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
Quote:CINCINNATI, Jan. 5 (UPI) -- A crowded backfield could get some clearance next season for the Cincinnati Bengals.

According to the Cincinnati Enquirer's Paul Dehner Jr., the Bengals could relegate starting running back Jeremy Hill to backup status.

"I think draft will produce quality RB option," Dehner tweeted Thursday. "Rex will have shot at more $$ & opp elsewhere. Hill not cut, but a backup/GL speciality, IMO."

Hill, 24, will be playing in the final year of a four-year, $3.7 million contract.

After racking up 1,124 yards and nine touchdowns during his rookie season, Hill's production has fallen off. Although he has 21 touchdowns between the last two seasons, he has averaged just 3.7 yards per carry in that timeframe. Hill sat out the Bengals' season finale against the Baltimore Ravens due to a knee injury.

Giovani Bernard suffered a torn ACL in the Bengals' Week 11 contest, but has looked electrifying compared to the declining Hill.

Bengals.com writer Geoff Hobson reported that it is a "no-brainer" that the Bengals re-sign Rex Burkhead.

"As for the running back position, I think you can only conclude that Burkhead has won the job with Bernard. At the moment Hill, you'd think, is a backup," Hobson wrote on Bengals.com.

Bernard, 25, signed a four-year, $16.6 million contract in June. He netted 673 yards from scrimmage and three touchdowns on 130 touches this season. He averaged 3.7 yards per carry, but a career-high 3.9 catches per game

Boils down to three letters, "IMO."

And Dehner and Hobson can't even agree if Burkhead will be re-signed.

Nothing official from anyone from the front office or coaching staff.
Reply/Quote
Typical.....about a year too late.  However....it would be the correct move if true.  

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Hill, to me, has become nothing more than a touchdown *****. He only runs hard when they are close to the goal line so he can get in and dance. He's not interested in running hard on the other side of the field.
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2017, 09:04 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Hill, to me, has become nothing more than a touchdown *****. He only runs hard when they are close to the goal line so he can get in and dance. He's not interested in running hard on the other side of the field.

Disagree, I don't think that its not that he doesn't run hard, but rather he simply wants to run differently. When he is away from the goal line he trys to make guys miss so he can hit the home run. When he is in the goal line he doesn't dance in the hole, but instead runs hard straight ahead and runs people over. It's not a desire issue its a case of confused identity, he wants to be a shifty back when he isn't one.
Reply/Quote
If nothing else, bringing in a player like Dalvin Cook would surely motivate him to make the most of whatever chances he would get next year and get a second contract somewhere.

The number one issue with the offense is the lack of a running game. I believe it is a problem for several reasons, though. One, predictability in run formations and personnel. Two, lack of talent at RB (largely Hill, but Gio didn't do that well, either). Three, the lack of competent rush blocking. The last point is probably the greatest. A lot of that falls on Ced O, but it wasn't like the center of the line was creating many holes, either.

I doubt they replace Bodine. Fisher was a substantial upgrade at RT. Kevin Zeitler was disappointing, and is looking for big money. I'm not so sure he should get it here.
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2017, 09:21 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: If nothing else, bringing in a player like Dalvin Cook would surely motivate him to make the most of whatever chances he would get next year and get a second contract somewhere.

The number one issue with the offense is the lack of a running game.  I believe it is a problem for several reasons, though.  One, predictability in run formations and personnel.  Two, lack of talent at RB (largely Hill, but Gio didn't do that well, either).  Three, the lack of competent rush blocking.  The last point is probably the greatest.  A lot of that falls on Ced O, but it wasn't like the center of the line was creating many holes, either.  

I doubt they replace Bodine.  Fisher was a substantial upgrade at RT.  Kevin Zeitler was disappointing, and is looking for big money.  I'm not so sure he should get it here.

Good points.  If we got rid of Hill, and went with Rex, Gio, and Cook, defenses would never know what we were up to.

Reply/Quote
Heard Dehner on he radio the other day saying he'd bet on it being Gio and a rookie. There are about 7 guys in Fournette, Cook, McCaffrey, Foreman, Samuel, Kamarra(sp), Gallman, and Mixon who are all probably better than Hill right now. Gotta think at least one will fall to the 3rd for them.

If, however, Hobson is spreading the word that they have Burkhead in their plans, then I think there's something to it. They wouldn't let him write anything that was too far from what they at least wanted to do.
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2017, 08:37 AM)WychesWarrior Wrote: Typical.....about a year too late.  However....it would be the correct move if true.  

Another move the Bengals could try is to put Jeremy Hill on the trading block. Lots of teams might show interest, particularly those who need a non-fumbling ball carrier in the red zone.
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2017, 08:37 AM)Wyche Wrote: Typical.....about a year too late.  However....it would be the correct move if true.  

Was it? Hill had a really good rookie year followed up by a sophomore slump. The team had to find out which type of Hill was the outlier.
Plus, this upcoming draft is going to be a strong RB class.

I think it's the perfect time to draft a potential replacement RB for Hill.
I do think that this team needs to find out what type of RB it wants/needs, as having two different types makes the offense too predictable. Right now, it seems teams are finding that the offense is (somewhat) predictable based on which RB comes in.

Does this team need more of a shifty, speedy RB or more of a big, between the tackles RB?
Regardless, I think this team needs a RB that can catch and pass protect.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-06-2017, 09:19 AM)Au165 Wrote: Disagree, I don't think that its not that he doesn't run hard, but rather he simply wants to run differently. When he is away from the goal line he trys to make guys miss so he can hit the home run. When he is in the goal line he doesn't dance in the hole, but instead runs hard straight ahead and runs people over. It's not a desire issue its a case of confused identity, he wants to be a shifty back when he isn't one.

I agree. 
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2017, 12:13 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Was it? Hill had a really good rookie year followed up by a sophomore slump. The team had to find out which type of Hill was the outlier.
Plus, this upcoming draft is going to be a strong RB class.

I think it's the perfect time to draft a potential replacement RB for Hill.
I do think that this team needs to find out what type of RB it wants/needs, as having two different types makes the offense too predictable. Right now, it seems teams are finding that the offense is (somewhat) predictable based on which RB comes in.

Does this team need more of a shifty, speedy RB or more of a big, between the tackles RB?
Regardless, I think this team needs a RB that can catch and pass protect.

Yeah, that's a good point.  I guess I am just jaded after the No Make Nuge/Ogbuehi debacle and the general tendency of this staff to stick with players/ideas far too long.

With the way this line blocks, I think you need the shiftier back.  They can get lost in traffic among the big uglies, and are "slippery" in congestion.  I'd love to see a Gio/Rex/Dalvin Cook three headed monster.

Reply/Quote
(01-06-2017, 11:17 AM)samhain Wrote: Heard Dehner on he radio the other day saying he'd bet on it being Gio and a rookie.  There are about 7 guys in Fournette, Cook, McCaffrey, Foreman, Samuel, Kamarra(sp), Gallman, and Mixon who are all probably better than Hill right now.  Gotta think at least one will fall to the 3rd for them.  

If, however, Hobson is spreading the word that they have Burkhead in their plans, then I think there's something to it.  They wouldn't let him write anything that was too far from what they at least wanted to do.

What round in the draft could a team pick up a big, short yardage RB?  Maybe round 5-6 and at a lower salary than Hill, right?
“I’m Pacman Jones n****, what the [expletive] I got on me?”
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2017, 04:54 AM)Jpoore Wrote: so tried to copy and paste the article but it isn't cooperating. apparently Jeremy hill is gonna be a backup/gl man for the bengals. Giovanni Bernard will be co-starter with rex burkhead if he stays.but either way gio is starter going forward. am I the only one who wanted this but didn't think they would make gio starter?

So were gonna go into the season with a rb with a blown out knee.his game is predicated on speed and cuts.he wont be fully ready week 1.lets take a fournette or cook to help ease the comeback of gio.fournettebis a future star.he plays so violently .....he has afc north written all over him
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2017, 12:32 PM)Wyche Wrote: Yeah, that's a good point.  I guess I am just jaded after the No Make Nuge/Ogbuehi debacle and the general tendency of this staff to stick with players/ideas far too long.

With the way this line blocks, I think you need the shiftier back.  They can get lost in traffic among the big uglies, and are "slippery" in congestion.  I'd love to see a Gio/Rex/Dalvin Cook three headed monster.

If this team is able to retain Burkhead, you may as well forget Dalvin Cook. They won't run with 3 RBs like that. If Burkhead walks, I can see Cook possibly being drafted, and I'd be perfectly ok with that. But I'm expecting Burkhead walks, the Bengals draft a similar RB in the middle-late rounds, and Hill's role is somewhat reduced but probably not what it should be.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
If all Hill is needed for is at the goal line then fine..keep him, but he definitely isn't the guy at from the 5 yardline and beyond. It's not that hard to subtract 95 from 100 yards. Still, running backs aren't known for their longevity. There are a few who stick around for years, but most are washed up after a few years especially the guys who get 30 carries a game. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(01-06-2017, 09:21 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I doubt they replace Bodine.  Fisher was a substantial upgrade at RT.  Kevin Zeitler was disappointing, and is looking for big money.  I'm not so sure he should get it here.

Where is this stuff about Zeitler coming from? In just about every thread someone is dogging him for his performance this year, yet he played 100% of snaps, was named 2nd team All Pro Right Guard, and 7th ranked of all guards this year. I fail to see that as disappointing. He was having to play 2 positions......RG and RT... I think he's earned the money he is going to get, and I hope he stays here....
Reply/Quote
Man i never heard Lap rip a player like he did here. Really interesting stuff, and gotta wonder if the coaching staff feels the same.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
What did Lap say?
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote