Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
jeremy hill backup
(01-15-2017, 03:44 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Just wanted to back up a bit...so i don't come across wrong. I like Rex in his #3 role and i hope he stays. I don't think he does better than that, here or anywhere. He does deserve a few more snaps though. 

Just curious as to why you think hill deserves to be higher on depth than Rex? Hill fumbled away a sure win against Pitt last playoff game, didnt even double-skinned it. Then did not have one game this year that he looked nearly as good as Rex did in his one start. 

At this point it should be fair game on who the main back is. And imo, I would much rather see a Rex & Gio combo for next year, than a Hill & Gio combo. Assuming Gio is ready to go at start of season. If not there are plenty of backs they can get in free agency to fill in for Gio. But the Bengals dont operate this way, so it will be Hill as the main back again.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2017, 05:32 PM)Millhouse Wrote: Just curious as to why you think hill deserves to be higher on depth than Rex? Hill fumbled away a sure win against Pitt last playoff game, didnt even double-skinned it. Then did not have one game this year that he looked nearly as good as Rex did in his one start. 

At this point it should be fair game on who the main back is. And imo, I would much rather see a Rex & Gio combo for next year, than a Hill & Gio combo. Assuming Gio is ready to go at start of season. If not there are plenty of backs they can get in free agency to fill in for Gio. But the Bengals dont operate this way, so it will be Hill as the main back again.

Man, I hope you're wrong about that.

I just don't want Hill to be another Ced Benson / BJGE thing.

Shift gears and change personnel/depth chart for God's sake if your RB is sucking.

I really don't have a problem with Hill still being on the roster and contributing(he is solid in the red zone).

Just don't bank on this guy to be what your offense depends on for moving the chains on a regular basis.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2017, 05:32 PM)Millhouse Wrote: Just curious as to why you think hill deserves to be higher on depth than Rex? Hill fumbled away a sure win against Pitt last playoff game, didnt even double-skinned it. Then did not have one game this year that he looked nearly as good as Rex did in his one start. 

In my scenario, Hill isn't in the picture. Draft pick #1, Gio #2, Rex #3. 

I would obviously keep Hill on the roster to see if he was smart enough to drop some lbs, and see how he does in minis and training camp. If he looks like the same Hill we've seen the last 3 years, he gets his walking papers--providing the #1 pick looks as good as expected, Gio is progressing well and Rex is re-signed. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2017, 12:32 PM)Wyche Wrote: Yeah, that's a good point.  I guess I am just jaded after the No Make Nuge/Ogbuehi debacle and the general tendency of this staff to stick with players/ideas far too long.

With the way this line blocks, I think you need the shiftier back.  They can get lost in traffic among the big uglies, and are "slippery" in congestion.  I'd love to see a Gio/Rex/Dalvin Cook three headed monster.

Just watching some of those "NFL is fixed" videos and if the Bengals think, as I do, that the NFL is going to have Rogers upstage Brady on the biggest stage, then maybe at a certain point the Bengals just bagged this year and played for a draft pick.

I know, I know, tin foil hat....but how long they stayed with Ced and Nug...the 4th quarter collapses, that missed kick at Houston...

(Plays X files theme in the background)
Reply/Quote

I agree with everything you say here Millhouse but i am with Rocker here hoping you are wrong about
Hill being the main back again. If we bring back Rex, he should be the #1 until either Hill or Gio can show
they are better.

Rex was clearly better late last year than either were all year besides the Cleveland anomaly games.

(01-16-2017, 07:38 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Man, I hope you're wrong about that.

I just don't want Hill to be another Ced Benson / BJGE thing.

Shift gears and change personnel/depth chart for God's sake if your RB is sucking.

I really don't have a problem with Hill still being on the roster and contributing(he is solid in the red zone).

Just don't bank on this guy to be what your offense depends on for moving the chains on a regular basis.

Agreed.
Reply/Quote
Not quite sure why that UPI thing aggregated my partner and Hobson like that. Pure speculation on his part. Listen to our podcast. We both think Burkhead would take similar money to go elsewhere to play. The only caveat we see is this: IF Burkhead does re-sign here...that has to be an indicator of something regarding Hill's status. Remember - when Bernard signed his extension he was in the top 10 of highest paid running backs in the NFL. Burkhead isn't being re-signed with Bernard at a certain dollar amount to get 10 snaps. But I kind of have a problem with UPI doing that to Paul and Geoff as a news headline.
Beat writer for Cincinnati.com & The Enquirer. Follow along on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Periscope.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2017, 08:24 PM)jowczarski Wrote: Not quite sure why that UPI thing aggregated my partner and Hobson like that. Pure speculation on his part. Listen to our podcast. We both think Burkhead would take similar money to go elsewhere to play. The only caveat we see is this: IF Burkhead does re-sign here...that has to be an indicator of something regarding Hill's status. Remember - when Bernard signed his extension he was in the top 10 of highest paid running backs in the NFL. Burkhead isn't being re-signed with Bernard at a certain dollar amount to get 10 snaps. But I kind of have a problem with UPI doing that to Paul and Geoff as a news headline.

The problem with Hill's status is he is a bad RB right now. The problem with Gio's is he had a bad year and is
coming off of injury. We will be in trouble if we let Burkhead go unless we draft a good RB. This is the problem
with this team almost every year, we don't open up the draft and let the BPA fall to us.

Need to use Free Agency to do this. We usually sign our own players back but sometimes they are guys like
Peko and Maualuga who are older and nothing special. Rex shown he was our best RB late last year.

We should re-sign him and make him the #1 right now with his vision, hands, will and burst.

He just runs harder than Hill and Gio.
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2017, 02:01 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: The problem with Hill's status is he is a bad RB right now. The problem with Gio's is he had a bad year and is
coming off of injury. We will be in trouble if we let Burkhead go unless we draft a good RB. This is the problem
with this team almost every year, we don't open up the draft and let the BPA fall to us.

Need to use Free Agency to do this. We usually sign our own players back but sometimes they are guys like
Peko and Maualuga who are older and nothing special. Rex shown he was our best RB late last year.

We should re-sign him and make him the #1 right now with his vision, hands, will and burst.

He just runs harder than Hill and Gio.

Dead on.  I really want my Sexy back (pictures Chad in that classic interview and the music playing in the background), but more importantly is looking at what you have outside of him.  There is no doubt they will draft a RB, and it will probably be in the 4th round or so.  I really want Delvin Cook, but he may actually be gone at 9 or the Bengals simply wouldn't put that high a grade on a RB.

To never draft a transcendent talent like Cook because of what happened with Ki-Jana Carter would be the epitome of stupid.  Cook doesn't have a HoF tackle standing next to him in the draft pool and we will never know what could have happened if Carter doesn't get injured.  
Reply/Quote
I hope to God we don't draft a RB in the first. Peterson, Elliot, or whoever we put behind our line probably wouldn't do much. We need to improve BOTH of our lines before we think about a RB. The RBs that we have now aren't that bad where we would need to draft one that early. Hill hasn't been good since his rookie year, but Gio has been solid and we might have something in Rex too.
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2017, 07:23 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Dead on.  I really want my Sexy back (pictures Chad in that classic interview and the music playing in the background), but more importantly is looking at what you have outside of him.  There is no doubt they will draft a RB, and it will probably be in the 4th round or so.  I really want Delvin Cook, but he may actually be gone at 9 or the Bengals simply wouldn't put that high a grade on a RB.

To never draft a transcendent talent like Cook because of what happened with Ki-Jana Carter would be the epitome of stupid.  Cook doesn't have a HoF tackle standing next to him in the draft pool and we will never know what could have happened if Carter doesn't get injured.  

Nice post once again and completely agree. I want Dalvin if we draft a RB in the first. All Hobspin mentions is
Fournette on bengals.com and that just shows me that he is going off of popular opinion and not the players.

Dalvin Cook is my favorite RB in this draft by far and way ahead of Fournette who is not versatile and is coming
off an ankle injury. Talk about stupid, draft the RB with ankle problems eh Hobs.

Whatever

(01-19-2017, 02:38 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: I hope to God we don't draft a RB in the first. Peterson, Elliot, or whoever we put behind our line probably wouldn't do much. We need to improve BOTH of our lines before we think about a RB. The RBs that we have now aren't that bad where we would need to draft one that early. Hill hasn't been good since his rookie year, but Gio has been solid and we might have something in Rex too.

Why don't we do it all Brownshoe. Re-sign Whit for 2-3 years, put the tag on Zeitler, sign a veteran OT in FA for
insurance. Draft Cook in the 1st,  Center in the 2nd or 3rd round.

Get rid of PA and add an OL coach that coaches O-lineman.

Eh? Eh? Who is with me?
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2017, 02:51 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Why don't we do it all Brownshoe. Re-sign Whit for 2-3 years, put the tag on Zeitler, sign a veteran OT in FA for
insurance. Draft Cook in the 1st,  Center in the 2nd or 3rd round.

Get rid of PA and add an OL coach that coaches O-lineman.

Eh? Eh? Who is with me?

I don't know too many quality RTs in FA right now. I think we can get better value at RB in the 3rd or 4th round. Plus realistically how much longer does Whit have?
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2017, 04:31 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: I don't know too many quality RTs in FA right now. I think we can get better value at RB in the 3rd or 4th round. Plus realistically how much longer does Whit have?

Ricky Wagner or Riley Reiff would be upgrades over Winston for sure and could help Fisher out for the future.

Dalvin Cook is just a once in awhile talent from what i have seen that ran great behind suspect O-lines in college.
This guy has lots of qualities that are rare and is so versatile he would help us with our predictability.

Would be all for a RB in the 3rd or 4th like Joe Mixon if we don't go Dalvin in the 1st.

From the way Whit is playing you should give him atleast 1 year and ideally 2. Don't know why i said 3.
Reply/Quote

I thought Carson looked pretty good and is on PS. He could be activated. Hill would be backup IMO. It won't happen.
Reply/Quote