Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
mail in voting
Why would Democrats be in favor of mail in voting if it really did make voter fraud easier?  When you look at the records of actual voter fraud you will see that Republicans have been guilty of voter fraud just as often as Democrats.  Look at the last election in the Ninth Congressional District in North Carolina or the famous case from the 90's in the Miami mayoral race. Those cases of voter fraud were real, not make believe like Trump's claims about California.

The fight against mail in voting is all about suppressing the vote.  Suppressing the vote always helps Republicans.  When it comes to voter ID laws some Republicans have even admitted that they are designed to benefit Republicans. (U.S. Rep Glen Grothman, Sen Jim DeMint, Penn State Rep Mike Turzai, plus other lower level Republican staff members).

So, let's be clear....

1.  Democrats have no reason to support a system that allows more voter fraud because Republicans are just as guilty of voter fraud as they are.

2.  Voter suppression laws (voter ID laws, limited voting hours, limiting mail in vote, etc) favor Republicans and they have no problem admitting this in public.
Last I heard the mail in ballots do not demonstrably favor one party over another. Says the NY times.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
If you're against mail in ballots, you have an agenda that is contrary to democracy or you're a rube who believes conspiracy theories that have been refuted countless times or both.

Providing further logic is a waste of time.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(06-07-2020, 05:25 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: If you're against mail in ballots, you have an agenda that is contrary to democracy or you're a rube who believes conspiracy theories that have been refuted countless times or both.

Providing further logic is a waste of time.

aaaaaand /thread.
Mail in ballots (in theory) only require providing basic information to prove you're who you say you are. That upends GOP efforts to require voters to have more ID than bare minimum, transportation and time; there's less likelihood for lower income earners to have all three.

Personally, I think polling centers should be open, but I've got no issue with mail in ballots. I don't think they really favor either party, as there's a healthy chunk of the population who work out of their state of residence, or tend to travel more, which favors high income voters.

In the end, it really comes down to how they're counting the votes, which has proven to be less than trustworthy in recent times.
Do they charge for stamps on mail in ballots or do other citizens pay for this poll tax
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Mail in voting undoes all the gerrymandering the GoP has used the last 10 years to maintain control of the government.
(06-07-2020, 08:43 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Do they charge for stamps on mail in ballots or do other citizens pay for this poll tax

USPS has said they will deliver them without postage. 

As far as a poll tax, I'd say it's less of one than the required id in some states or the cost of transportation after moving polling locations, but that's just a guess. I guess if we're going to have it completely without cost to voters or tax payers we could go to a volunteer door to door system.
I'd be more receptive to a voting with an ATM card type thing.
(06-08-2020, 12:42 AM)Benton Wrote: USPS has said they will deliver them without postage. 

As far as a poll tax, I'd say it's less of one than the required id in some states or the cost of transportation after moving polling locations, but that's just a guess. I guess if we're going to have it completely without cost to voters or tax payers we could go to a volunteer door to door system.

And that system was defrauded by the GOP in NC.

There is not perfect system...which seem to be what republicans want instead of just NOT limiting voting opportunities.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Warning: Reading signatures may hurt your feelings.
(06-08-2020, 08:38 AM)GMDino Wrote: And that system was defrauded by the GOP in NC.

There is not perfect system...which seem to be what republicans want instead of just NOT limiting voting opportunities.

Yea, door to the door invites outside influence. 

and with regards to the bolded of Benton's post, no election is ever going to be free to the government. 

Neo-cons have the same approach to voting that I have to dating: Sure, you COULD try to improve yourself so you are more appealing and desirable/popular OR you could just start cooking up crazy schemes to connive your way to victory.
I heard this from somewhere in my youth as a soldier because I had to mail in vote while overseas, but, to the best of my knowledge, mail in ballots are not counted unless it's close. Is this true? Just something I was told.

(06-08-2020, 06:43 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: I heard this from somewhere in my youth as a soldier because I had to mail in vote while overseas, but, to the best of my knowledge, mail in ballots are not counted unless it's close. Is this true? Just something I was told.

Any valid ballot is counted. However, since states get to run elections, what constitutes “valid” varies from state to state. Data suggests the ballots of young people or people with disabilities are the most likely to get tossed because they weren’t submitted properly (missing a signature or not postmarked for the right day)

Either way, moving to a mail in system will require states to establish safeguards to ensure voters are disenfranchised

What is the reason for mail in voting if you are local?

(06-08-2020, 07:34 PM)bfine32 Wrote: What is the reason for mail in voting if you are local?

Corona might be one, if you're in the high risk group especially. But since you vote on a normal workday (also, what is that? Why? That imho is a prime example of voter suppression!), simply job and time issues might be a good reason, as far as I would guess. When seeing those long lines, I'd wager in some districts many employees just won't have the possibility to appear in person.
(06-08-2020, 07:00 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Any valid ballot is counted. However, since states get to run elections, what constitutes “valid” varies from state to state. Data suggests the ballots of young people or people with disabilities are the most likely to get tossed because they weren’t submitted properly (missing a signature or not postmarked for the right day)

Either way, moving to a mail in system will require states to establish safeguards to ensure voters are disenfranchised

To add to this, absentee/mail-in ballots are usually counted after the precincts report on Election Day. So they show up in the totals later than other reporting which is why the perception of them not being counted was probably passed along. Usually, elections are called for one person or the other by the time the mailed ballots are added to the total.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
I would like to see every voter mailed a ballot and given the option to mail it back or return it in person. I think if this were to occur we could drastically improve voter turnout in this country.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(06-08-2020, 08:08 PM)hollodero Wrote: Corona might be one, if you're in the high risk group especially. But since you vote on a normal workday (also, what is that? Why? That imho is a prime example of voter suppression!), simply job and time issues might be a good reason, as far as I would guess. When seeing those long lines, I'd wager in some districts many employees just won't have the possibility to appear in person.

As to the Why? I agree; it should be a National Holiday each year. I would love to see Columbus Day replaced with Patriot's Day on the first Tuesday after a Monday in November. 

As to the rest: I guess I'm kind of jaded. I was in Afghanistan when they had their first ever "free" election. I watched folks travel 8 plus hours across hostile country just to have their vote counted. It seems we as Americans are finding walking around the corner to be too inconvenient or suppressive. 

Folks dispute the thought that mail in voting can be manipulated, but I'd wager as it grows so does "evil doers" attempts to corrupt it. Wasn't the Iowas caucus this year an attempt at automated voting? 

(06-08-2020, 08:26 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Folks dispute the thought that mail in voting can be manipulated, but I'd wager as it grows so does "evil doers" attempts to corrupt it. Wasn't the Iowas caucus this year an attempt at automated voting? 

No; that issue was with reporting the results. The voting itself took place in person at the caucuses like usual.