Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
mail in voting
(06-15-2020, 01:07 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Seems like a huge undertaking to make it the system everyone uses. Folks have to prove they need a handicapped parking sticker. Should we just give those to everyone who wants one because it's no one's business? 

Well, first off, I still refute the analogy to handicapped parking, for it's obviously not the same thing at all. If I vote per mail, I do not infringe on anyone else's right to do so. Unlike parking on a spot reserved for handicapped people, that very much is to the disadvantage of handicapped people that need it more.

Second, it will not become the system everyone uses.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(06-15-2020, 01:29 PM)hollodero Wrote: Well, first off, I still refute the analogy to handicapped parking, for it's obviously not the same thing at all. If I vote per mail, I do not infringe on anyone else's right to do so. Unlike parking on a spot reserved for handicapped people, that very much is to the disadvantage of handicapped people that need it more.

Second, it will not become the system everyone uses.

Multiple states have all or nearly all mail-in ballots. Some only conduct elections by mail. Some send ballots to all voters so that they can opt to vote by mail. Oregon has done it since the 90's.

They've found that it saves money, increases turnout, and that there's no increased threat of fraud. 

There's no actual argument against it other than a desire for lower voter turnout. 
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(06-15-2020, 01:03 PM)bfine32 Wrote: If folks think mail in voting is the way to go then fine. Just shared my $0.02 on the matter,

Problem is that no one is able to understand why you oppose mail in voting because you say a lot of stuff that makes no sense.

For some reason you made comments about people not wanting to "walk around the corner" to vote, but then you say that is okay and does not matter.

Then you make comments about how people should "make sacrifices" to vote, but then don't explain why people should be forced to sacrifice anything in order to exercise their Constitutional rights

So why exactly do you oppose mail in voting for everyone?
(06-15-2020, 02:41 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Problem is that no one is able to understand why you oppose mail in voting because you say a lot of stuff that makes no sense.

For some reason you made comments about people not wanting to "walk around the corner" to vote, but then you say that is okay and does not matter.

Then you make comments about how people should "make sacrifices" to vote, but then don't explain why people should be forced to sacrifice anything in order to exercise their Constitutional rights

So why exactly do you oppose mail in voting for everyone?

Seems Benton did as he gave the exact same reasoning as I.

I've given my reasoning. I feel it's your civic duty to vote, not just something you'll do if it's convenient enough. You're free to disagree with the point if you wish, I just think if you can go vote then do so and save the mail in process for those that need it. 

To me there's some merit in finding something you're willing to sacrifice for to be a little more precious. I feel an American vote is precious. 

There's also something to be said about the sense of Patriotism you feel seeing your fellow man stand inline to make his/her voice heard. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

With the CV-19 going on we mailed our ballots in today.
(06-15-2020, 03:11 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Seems Benton did as he gave the exact same reasoning as I.

I've given my reasoning. I feel it's your civic duty to vote, not just something you'll do if it's convenient enough. You're free to disagree with the point if you wish, I just think if you can go vote then do so and save the mail in process for those that need it. 

To me there's some merit in finding something you're willing to sacrifice for to be a little more precious. I feel an American vote is precious. 

There's also something to be said about the sense of Patriotism you feel seeing your fellow man stand inline to make his/her voice heard. 

Sorry, but I still don't see any "reasoning" at all.  You have given zero reasons why people should be forced to sacrifice to exercise their rights.  Maybe I could understand a little better if you gave me some more examples.

How much should people be forced to sacrifice before being allowed to exercise their freedom of speech?  Just speaking is too easy, right?  So maybe make everyone write down what they want to say and publish it instead of just allowing them to speak it out loud.

Would your heart swell with Patriotism if every person who wanted to own a gun was required to stand in line for hours?

The only reason you like the long lines is because you are a Republican and you know that the harder it is to vote the more it helps your side.  No one else in their right mind thinks it is great to make people suffer for no reason just to exercise their rights. 
(06-15-2020, 05:14 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Sorry, but I still don't see any "reasoning" at all.  You have given zero reasons why people should be forced to sacrifice to exercise their rights.  Maybe I could understand a little better if you gave me some more examples.

How much should people be forced to sacrifice before being allowed to exercise their freedom of speech?  Just speaking is too easy, right?  So maybe make everyone write down what they want to say and publish it instead of just allowing them to speak it out loud.

Would your heart swell with Patriotism if every person who wanted to own a gun was required to stand in line for hours?

The only reason you like the long lines is because you are a Republican and you know that the harder it is to vote the more it helps your side.  No one else in their right mind thinks it is great to make people suffer for no reason just to exercise their rights. 

I don't think Benton is a Republican.

You should be forced to follow rules to exercise your freedom of speech. 

No one should be required to stand in line for hours; however, this is a different matter than showing up to vote. You want to talk about opening more polls in crowded districts you have my support. 

No one should be required to suffer. Sacrifice a little time, sure; it's a small price to pay.

Instead of slurring me, perhaps you could explain your want:

Do you want every eligible citizen to be able to cast their votes via mail?

Are we going to ask them to fill out the ballot themselves or can we have volunteers on standby to show up and fill out the ballot for them?

How do we verify identity? 

Should we also be able to vote via internet?

Do we even need an election day if everyone mails it in?

If we allow electronic aren't we disadvantaging those that do not have internet?

WTS, I have no issue with folks that want to vote via mail as a measure to reduce the spread of COVID 19, but this year is an anomaly

(06-15-2020, 04:28 PM)masonbengals fan Wrote: With the CV-19 going on we mailed our ballots in today.

Are you saying you've already cast your vote for POTUS? 

(06-15-2020, 05:38 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Do we even need an election day if everyone mails it in?

If we allow electronic aren't we disadvantaging those that do not have internet?

I don't want to answer someone else's question, but especially on those two, it is not quite realistic that "everyone" would vote per mail (it's not like that requires no effort at all, applying for it and sending it back); so of course there still will be an election day

- and the last question, putting aside it has nothing to do with mail in voting, is not a particularly good one. The internet gives many comforts, and no one would suggest forbidding online banking or calling it unfair because some folks still have to go to the bank in person instead.
(06-15-2020, 05:47 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Are you saying you've already cast your vote for POTUS? 

No it's our local primary.
(06-15-2020, 05:38 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I don't think Benton is a Republican.

Not that that would make a difference. Both sides can be sane and reasonable...believe it of not.

(06-15-2020, 05:38 PM)bfine32 Wrote: You should be forced to follow rules to exercise your freedom of speech. 

And we do. There are some limits.

(06-15-2020, 05:38 PM)bfine32 Wrote: No one should be required to stand in line for hours; however, this is a different matter than showing up to vote. You want to talk about opening more polls in crowded districts you have my support. 

Well at least you seem to understand why some would choose to mail in now.

(06-15-2020, 05:38 PM)bfine32 Wrote: No one should be required to suffer. Sacrifice a little time, sure; it's a small price to pay.

You seem to still be stuck on this people should be "required" to "sacrifice" to vote. That's just dumb. If something CAN be done easily or in an easier method why would we insist the be "required" to do it the harder way?

(06-15-2020, 05:38 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Instead of slurring me, perhaps you could explain your want:

Play stupid games win stupid prizes.

(06-15-2020, 05:38 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Do you want every eligible citizen to be able to cast their votes via mail?

Yes. Why not?

(06-15-2020, 05:38 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Are we going to ask them to fill out the ballot themselves or can we have volunteers on standby to show up and fill out the ballot for them?

They would fill it out themselves just like they do now for mail in voting.

(06-15-2020, 05:38 PM)bfine32 Wrote: How do we verify identity?

The same way they do now for mail in voting.

(06-15-2020, 05:38 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Should we also be able to vote via internet?

That is a red herring in this discussion but I'm not for it yet. Internet voting would much easier to manipulate than individual polling places gathering mail in votes. Especially as this administration and the Republican party seem to have no desire to do anything about election interference via the internet.

(06-15-2020, 05:38 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Do we even need an election day if everyone mails it in?

Of course. That's a dumb question. There is to be a deadline. Why wouldn't there be?

(06-15-2020, 05:38 PM)bfine32 Wrote: If we allow electronic aren't we disadvantaging those that do not have internet?

An actual smart point. That would affecting a disproportionate amount of poor and minorities. Another reason invest in our internet access for all and to work on better security as a nation.

(06-15-2020, 05:38 PM)bfine32 Wrote: WTS, I have no issue with folks that want to vote via mail as a measure to reduce the spread of COVID 19, but this year is an anomaly

But there are plenty of other reasons to vote via mail. Lots of people have health issues beyond Covid. Lots of people travel. Lots of people can't get to the polls for one reason or another.

I would have done mail in but it was my son's first time voting in the primary so I took him to the poll to show him where it was and to make sure it went smoothly.

Just because you want them to sacrifice doesn't mean that has any validity. If you want to crawl through broken glass to vote for Trump feel free. But unless I have to I'll do it the easiest way possible.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(06-15-2020, 05:38 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I don't think Benton is a Republican.

Benton is 41.

Benton spent the majority of 23 years as a registered republican. 

Benton doesn't have a party these days.
(06-16-2020, 10:53 AM)Benton Wrote: Benton is 41.

And bfine is a registered Democrat 

(06-16-2020, 11:19 AM)bfine32 Wrote: And bfine is a registered Democrat 

Bfine also makes huge assumptions.

Nobody holds either against bfine.

I'm a registered Democrat.  Have been for 32 years.  Primarily because so few Republicans run for office/win office here the primary decided who would win in November.  It was the only way to weed out the party.

I vote for the best person no matter the party. 
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(06-15-2020, 05:38 PM)bfine32 Wrote: No one should be required to suffer. Sacrifice a little time, sure; it's a small price to pay.

You still have not explained why people should have to "pay" to exercise their right to vote.

The only explanation I can think of is that it benefits the people who can afford to "pay" while it disenfranchises the people who find it harder to "pay" to vote.
(06-16-2020, 11:19 AM)bfine32 Wrote: And bfine is a registered Democrat 

We can all tell by the way you NEVER SUPPORT TRUMP.

Hilarious LMAO LOL

I mean since you say it it must be true, right?

Rolleyes

masonbengals fan is 57

masonbengals fan spent 37 years as a registered Democrat

masonbengals fan doesn't have a party these days.  
& I try to vote for the best person no matter the party.
Belsnickel is 34.

Belsnickel has never been a registered member of any party because Virginia is an open primary state and we don't register with a party.

Belsnickel has never voted for a winner in an election beyond the local level (and this include primaries). LOL
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR